Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam "Pacman" Jones says he's bipolar
In a long interview, Adam admits he is bipolar and decided against medication during his NFL career because he was afraid it would diminish his playing ability. Explains a lot about his life

Too bad, though, the self-medicating he did with alcohol caused his career even more problems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ubUuflRLUY

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Well that explains a lot...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Before his second season there was a story about how Jake Fisher had stopped taking a medication for his heart condition that was making him feel "sluggish".

By his third season he was missing time because of a "procedure" for his heart condition.

I bet stuff like this happens all the time.
Reply/Quote
Adam Jones had even the slightest mental issues?  No way!  A very stable genius!  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Whatever... He's just a shithead. Just like Matt Barnes and Steven Jackson.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
That explains why he was good against both the pass and the run!
Reply/Quote
If it is true that is not something to make fun of. Like him or not there is nothing funny about people that have to live with mental illness. I know this firsthand as I have a close family member that has Bipolar. It has made their life very difficult and there is nothing funny about it at all.

Bipolar is a word that is often casually tossed around, used unfairly, and unfortunately misunderstood. For people that are living with and dealing with Bipolar there is nothing casual about it.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I agree. I have anxiety issues that at times are debilitating...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2020, 06:35 PM)JSR18 Wrote: I agree. I have anxiety issues that at times are debilitating...

Bless you. I would not wish that on my worst enemy.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2020, 06:37 PM)Cicero Wrote: Bless you. I would not wish that on my worst enemy.
Thank you. Very much appreciated!!

The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2020, 06:07 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: If it is true that is not something to make fun of. Like him or not there is nothing funny about people that have to live with mental illness. I know this firsthand as I have a close family member that has Bipolar. It has made their life very difficult and there is nothing funny about it at all.

Bipolar is a word that is often casually tossed around, used unfairly, and unfortunately misunderstood. For people that are living with and dealing with Bipolar there is nothing casual about it.

This. Between where Pacman grew up, and having mental illness, it’s a miracle he’s only had minor issues throughout his life. Football probably saved him tbh. Hope he takes better care of himself now that he’s away from the game.

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2020, 06:07 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: If it is true that is not something to make fun of. Like him or not there is nothing funny about people that have to live with mental illness. I know this firsthand as I have a close family member that has Bipolar. It has made their life very difficult and there is nothing funny about it at all.

Right on to both of these.

(04-12-2020, 10:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This. Between where Pacman grew up, and having mental illness, it’s a miracle he’s only had minor issues throughout his life. Football probably saved him tbh. Hope he takes better care of himself now that he’s away from the game.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2020, 09:46 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Thank you. Very much appreciated!!

I have firsthand experience. PTSD and generalized anxiety disorder. I am lucky enough to work in mentoring people with mental illness now. It is a fulfilling job to say the least. 
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
We're Bengals fans. Who's he to talk about mental disorders?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Adam's reputation and off-field antics will always overshadow the fact that he was one hell of a football player. He was probably a top 5 pure athlete on the league in his prime.

The Bengals were very fortunate to have him on the roster for what was his most sustained success on the field. He was a gamble that they won, IMO, regardless of publicity from extracurricular stupidity.

For whatever reason he seemed to get a ton of respect from teammates. He was absolutely fearless on the field and backed down from nobody ever. Say what you will about Burfict, but I believe Pacman was the true leader of that defense. During his tenure, Antonio Brown wasn't nearly the threat that he was against the rest of the league.

I hope he gets help and finds peace. He was a major part of the success and tragedy that was the glorious/brutal 2015 Bengals season.
Reply/Quote
I absolutely agree Adam Jones was a very good football player when he was able to keep his mind straight. A lot has been written on this very site about what a troubled soul he was, much of it true, but much also just over the top pretending he was just either stupid or just a criminal in general. I thought he was among the very best players the team had, but with it came his unpredictable behavior on and off the field. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I called this years ago. I hope ppl don’t think I’m being an asshole because I’m dead serious about mental health. Adam Jones is likely bi polar, depressive type and has a personality disorder along with it.

Vontaze is likely developmentally disabled to some point and may be suffering from bi polar or an impulse disorder.

Antonio Brown is likely a sociopath with bipolar and a personality disorder

When you see guys making decisions that can’t be explained with normal logic then it’s a lot of the times mental health. The fame and attention exacerbates the mental illness in the same way drug use probably does for normal people.

NFL probably has psychiatrists but every player needs one assigned to him and need to be given the option to keep the same one even if they switch teams
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 10:14 AM)Housh Wrote: I called this years ago. I hope ppl don’t think I’m being an asshole because I’m dead serious about mental health. Adam Jones is likely bi polar, depressive type and has a personality disorder along with it.

Vontaze is likely developmentally disabled to some point and may be suffering from bi polar or an impulse disorder.

Antonio Brown is likely a sociopath with bipolar and a personality disorder

When you see guys making decisions that can’t be explained with normal logic then it’s a lot of the times mental health. The fame and attention exacerbates the mental illness in the same way drug use probably does for normal people.

NFL probably has psychiatrists but every player needs one assigned to him and need to be given the option to keep the same one even if they switch teams

Totally agree with what everyone has said about the importance of mental health, especially given I work in the field as well. That said, I also feel like Bipolar Disorder is something that is very over diagnosed. I'll give you Brown and maybe Jones given their extreme behavior off the field but there's nothing to indicate Burfict has had a manic episode. Impulse issues for sure but making bad decisions on the football field, getting angry quickly, or just acting stupid isn't what Bipolar Disorder is. 

I'm not saying Jones doesn't have Bipolar disorder but it's also a pretty easy diagnosis to get/something that is overdisgnosed in my opinion and then people use it to erase any bad decisions they made (see Johnny football). Given their upbringing PTSD is probably a likely diagnosis for all of them as well as Impulse control issues and substance use disorder at least for Pacman. Brown seems to definitely have a cluster of personality disorder symptoms though. 

Almost all of Pacmans issues were a result of alcohol and/or possibly other drugs. One of the biggest things when diagnosising, especially Bipolar, is you make sure it's not due to another mental health issue. Obviously his doctors or whoever worked with him have way more history but it's also very possible he just had an alcohol use disorder coupled with impulse/anger issues even when sober and thats a really bad combo.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 11:01 AM)TheSweetness Wrote: Totally agree with what everyone has said about the importance of mental health, especially given I work in the field as well. That said, I also feel like Bipolar Disorder is something that is very over diagnosed. I'll give you Brown and maybe Jones given their extreme behavior off the field but there's nothing to indicate Burfict has had a manic episode. Impulse issues for sure but making bad decisions on the football field, getting angry quickly, or just acting stupid isn't what Bipolar Disorder is. 

I'm not saying Jones doesn't have Bipolar disorder but it's also a pretty easy diagnosis to get/something that is overdisgnosed in my opinion and then people use it to erase any bad decisions they made (see Johnny football). Given their upbringing PTSD is probably a likely diagnosis for all of them as well as Impulse control issues and substance use disorder at least for Pacman. Brown seems to definitely have a cluster of personality disorder symptoms though. 

Almost all of Pacmans issues were a result of alcohol and/or possibly other drugs. One of the biggest things when diagnosising, especially Bipolar, is you make sure it's not due to another mental health issue. Obviously his doctors or whoever worked with him have way more history but it's also very possible he just had an alcohol use disorder coupled with impulse/anger issues even when sober and thats a really bad combo.
Totally agree with everything you said. 
Reply/Quote
Many times people self medicate mental health issues with alcohol and other drugs, thus creating addiction as well. Of course, heavy use of drugs, including alcohol, can lead to mental issues in those who did not otherwise have mental illness issues previously.

Not for me to say what pacman needs to do. That's between him and his doctors and/or other health professionals and lay . He obviously has been a troubled man. Hopefully he can get and stay on track in whatever way works best.

I don't have a problem with humor regarding this or any other topic. Maybe since I am well on the other side of some serious stuff myself, I can laugh about it a little. Able to play pass AND run... . Lol
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote