Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam Schefter says Burrows contract will be way north of Herberts.
(07-26-2023, 09:47 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: No, you’re right. I had it in my head that he was signed as a free agent and wasn’t traded for. I wasn’t putting everything together correctly.

But you were correct in that it's apples to oranges when comparing it to JB's contract situation. A-A-Ron has been paid well more than once, JB has not. 

The homer of me hopes JB takes a Mahomes' like deal, but I see 5-Years $275 Mil. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Brinks truck is currently being washed and tire pressures checked.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Herbert reminds of Drew Bledsoe too.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 09:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: A-A-Rod has been paid well more than once, JB has not. 

Yup. Already banked over $300m in NFL salary, not counting the money he's gotten from State Farm for over a decade.

He's always made sure to get paid.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 07:42 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: That’s more of a product of the time, I think. Palmer was significantly more mobile than people give him credit for. Palmer’s 40 yard dash time was just a hair slower than both Cam Newton and Vince Young. Also, faster than Justin Herbert. It just wasn’t as common for guys in that era to be as mobile.

When Herbert came out, I thought he was a spitting image of Carson Palmer, just with more fluidity to his game. To be clear, Herbert is more athletic but I don’t think it is due to any physical limitations Palmer had, he just didn’t work that part of his game like QBs now do.
Straight-end speed doesn't have much to do with how mobile a quarterback is. A quarterback can be fast but just stay in the pocket. In that aspect, I do think Palmer's mobility was underrated because that wasn't his game.
(07-26-2023, 07:57 PM)Nepa Wrote: Meanwhile, Aaron Rogers took a huge pay cut to help his new team:

"Rodgers agreed to a two-year, fully guaranteed $75 million contract with the Jets, a source told ESPN, confirming a report by NFL Network. It represents a pay cut of $33.715 million from the $108.715 million he was still owed on the contract he signed with the Packers in 2022.

"The Jets' salary cap will be reduced by the same amount as his pay cut which will allow the Jets to acquire far more talent than they would have been able to acquire under the contract assumed from the Green Bay Packers in April. No team sport player has ever revised his contract in such a team-focused way."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38075863/aaron-rodgers-agrees-reworked-contract-jets
He's worth over 200 million, so the money's not an issue. Right now, it's just about winning for him.
(07-26-2023, 11:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yup. Already banked over $300m in NFL salary, not counting the money he's gotten from State Farm for over a decade.

He's always made sure to get paid.

Exactly.

I know it's easy to say from our standpoint, but he has more money than he'll ever touch, so why not give them a discount and just load the team with talent to win more rings?
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 09:43 PM)Nepa Wrote: Rogers was due to make close to $100 million in guarantees in his previous contract. He took $35 million less dollars, down to $75 million in guarantees, with the goal of helping his new team. As ESPN notes, "This is an uncommonly large pay cut, one that will provide financial flexibility for the [Jets] organization over the next two years" and "No team sport player has ever revised his contract in such a team-focused way."

I don't see how the driving factor is his age; the driving factor appears to be to help his team. He is giving up $35 million in guarantees.

I think he took the massive contact to stay where he didn't want to in Green Bay. If he got stuck there he'd make a ton of money. Idk if he planned on going to New York of all places but now he's more willing to take on a team contract.

Well that and he's made so much money so far in his career.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 12:14 AM)BFritz2 Wrote: He's worth over 200 million, so the money's not an issue. Right now, it's just about winning for him.

I wouldn't say money's not an issue ... he's now in the largest media market on the planet.  Winning leverages the value of that more than the nominal value of what he's giving up.  At least that's the calculation I suspect is being made.  Aaron Rodgers in the New York market makes serious endorsement bank... winning Aaron Rodgers in the same market makes multiples of that.
Reply/Quote
Herbert and Lamar Jackson are about the same at 5 years for $53 million per. "Far North" sounds more like $60 million per year to me. Hope I'm wrong.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 07:15 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: If he takes way more than 52M/year I don’t know why he would ever publicly say he wants to structure his deal to make sure he keeps more weapons around him. I don’t see how they’ll keep Higgins and Chase if Burrow is in the 60’s.

It all boils down to the guaranteed portion, the up-front $$ and how the spread out the remainder.  The Bengals are pretty good at doing these things.
Reply/Quote
Will Joe be the highest paid NFL Player? Yes. Will it be "way north" of Justin Herbert? Probably Not. NFL Teams don't work like that its always just a bump above the guy they consider in the same tier. If Burrow makes more than 53.5m per year I would be surprised.

It's interesting to see all these QB contracts this off-season because they are all the same years and around the same money per year but each one is completely different. Jalen Hurts took the most team friendly contract with Herbert next and Lamar last with his big signing bonus and void years. It will be interesting to see how Joe Burrows contract looks compared to the other three.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 09:19 AM)Synric Wrote: Will Joe be the highest paid NFL Player? Yes. Will it be "way north" of Justin Herbert? Probably Not. NFL Teams don't work like that its always just a bump above the guy they consider in the same tier. If Burrow makes more than 53.5m per year I would be surprised.

It's interesting to see all these QB contracts this off-season because they are all the same years and around the same money per year but each one is completely different. Jalen Hurts took the most team friendly contract with Herbert next and Lamar last with his big signing bonus and void years. It will be interesting to see how Joe Burrows contract looks compared to the other three.

When mahomes signed his new deal it wasn’t “just a bump”.

Mahomes dramatically raised the bar for quarterback salaries with his $45 million average yearly salary. The previous standard was the $35 million per year in the four-year extension Russell Wilson signed with the Seahawks in 2019. Mahomes got a 28.6% increase over Wilson's deal.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 09:26 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: When mahomes signed his new deal it wasn’t “just a bump”.

Mahomes dramatically raised the bar for quarterback salaries with his $45 million average yearly salary. The previous standard was the $35 million per year in the four-year extension Russell Wilson signed with the Seahawks in 2019. Mahomes got a 28.6% increase over Wilson's deal.

You ignored the "in the same tier" part. The upper tier of QB money was already set this off-season with Hurts, Jackson, and Herbert each one making just a bump more than the one before...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 09:19 AM)Synric Wrote: Will Joe be the highest paid NFL Player? Yes. Will it be "way north" of Justin Herbert? Probably Not. NFL Teams don't work like that its always just a bump above the guy they consider in the same tier. If Burrow makes more than 53.5m per year I would be surprised.

I can see Joe's deal being "way north" simply because of total value.  The Bengals have traditionally done 6 year deals with their franchise QB's second contracts.  At least that's what they did with Palmer and Dalton.  
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 09:31 PM)tms Wrote: 6/350. Is that even possible? Don't matter. I'm goin' with that, Regis. Final answer.

Either way, the clickbait around the upcoming signings is ludicrous, torturous and epitheliomatous.

a benign or malignant tumor derived from epithelial tissue. epitheliomatous. -mət-əs. adjective.

Damn, son. Learned a new word.
Reply/Quote
Part of me thinks the league shouldn’t allow ARod to cut his salary by that much.

But wow at the gesture.

One thing i know about ARod is he wants to win and he hates playing with young players. This money will help get more vets and probably sign 1-2 guys they previously couldn’t resign
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Adam Schefter is not been the best source of late but really this statement is so "hallow".. it does not get into any numbers. Burrow might get way more $$ but if it is more years that does not matter, breaking it down by how much a year would show how large his deal is north of Herbert. Im thinking 58 to 60 million a year. Also believe it will be a 6 to 8 year contract
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 12:53 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I think he took the massive contact to stay where he didn't want to in Green Bay. If he got stuck there he'd make a ton of money. Idk if he planned on going to New York of all places but now he's more willing to take on a team contract.

Well that and he's made so much money so far in his career.

Sure, and Rogers has great name recognition and now is in one of the world's biggest, if not biggest, markets to make money off his name. Still, he took a pay cut with an eye toward improving the chances of his team winning. If you want to improve your name recognition, and to be looked at favorably, no better way to do that than with a winning team and making sacrifices to have a winning team. And that scenario applies to the Bengals players as well.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 10:26 AM)kdgjr Wrote: a benign or malignant tumor derived from epithelial tissue. epitheliomatous. -mət-əs. adjective.

Damn, son. Learned a new word.

Thanks. In fairness, I didn't know what it meant either (I still don't really know what it means). All I know is that 15-letter words really get the heart pumping. 
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 06:16 PM)740Bengal Wrote: Schefty just said this on NFL Live. Thoughts on this? He's worth every penny, I just want this thing done!

i think its what the media wants....    And hes worth it.  But is it whats best for the team (like burrow wants)

Definitely interested to see what the terms will be
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 07:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I guess there's still time to be wrong, but I never saw there being any chance of Burrow taking pennies on the dollar like some people hoped/expected. Same as I didn't trust that thread earlier in the offseason about Higgins signing for 5yr/$85m.

These guys are high performing professionals in a business with a really short timespan of being able to get paid. Not going to be shocked when they want to be paid according to the market and their skill level.

- - - - - - -

Interesting to note that a PFF guy back in April projected Burrow to get 4yr/$214m. I still think that it'll end up being more than 4 years, but the yearly average ($53.5m) is shockingly close to the ballpark of what he'll likely get. Pretty impressive by them.

I always think the people suggesting a player take a home town discount for the team should ask themselves what comes first in their life? If the answer is family comes first then expect the player to do what is best for their family. To me, taking care of family doesn't include taking pennies on the dollar. Allen Iverson can't feed his family with the fan's goodwill.
Reply/Quote