Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam Schefter says Burrows contract will be way north of Herberts.
(07-26-2023, 09:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Only running QBs in that time I can recall from that timeframe were basically Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb briefly before he got fat, and then David Carr who was running for his life rather than because it was planned.

I'd add Randall Cunningham to the list.  Would Steve Young be included?
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 09:19 AM)Synric Wrote: Will Joe be the highest paid NFL Player? Yes. Will it be "way north" of Justin Herbert? Probably Not. NFL Teams don't work like that its always just a bump above the guy they consider in the same tier. If Burrow makes more than 53.5m per year I would be surprised.

It's interesting to see all these QB contracts this off-season because they are all the same years and around the same money per year but each one is completely different. Jalen Hurts took the most team friendly contract with Herbert next and Lamar last with his big signing bonus and void years. It will be interesting to see how Joe Burrows contract looks compared to the other three.

For once, I suspect I will be surprised by the front office's ingenuity at how they structure this contract based upon their decisions over the course of the previous four seasons
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 12:35 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I always think the people suggesting a player take a home town discount for the team should ask themselves what comes first in their life? If the answer is family comes first then expect the player to do what is best for their family. To me, taking care of family doesn't include taking pennies on the dollar. Allen Iverson can't feed his family with the fan's goodwill.

If a man can't take care of his family making tens of millions each year (40 million? 50 million? 60 million? per year!), and with the name recognition to get more in other ways, then something is wrong.

If he cares about his teammates, his team, and fans, then those should be part of the equation as well. And if he has a winning team, and sacrifices somewhat to have a winning team, then his name recognition and favorability rating will benefit as well. As will his enjoyment from coming to work every day.

In other words, it's not just money, money, money. That may be the agent's number one motivation. But a player has many factors to consider. I trust Joe will take in all these factors.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 12:14 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Straight-end speed doesn't have much to do with how mobile a quarterback is. A quarterback can be fast but just stay in the pocket. In that aspect, I do think Palmer's mobility was underrated because that wasn't his game.

They can, but they typically don't. At least, not now. Palmer was an athletic QB and he could move but it wasn't a developed part of his game. USC had him doing roll-outs and things like that, which he did well on, but it just wasn't as common for a QB to be mobile back in the early 2000's. That's more what I am saying when I say that it was just a product of the era. He had the ability to be mobile, but didn't really incorporate it. 

Nowadays, almost every QB incorporates their ability to scramble around and keep plays alive. I think that if you were to transport Palmer as a prospect to the modern NFL, his game would have shifted a bit to be very similar to Herbert. I think he would have used his speed a bit more and moved around better. 
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 12:35 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I always think the people suggesting a player take a home town discount for the team should ask themselves what comes first in their life? If the answer is family comes first then expect the player to do what is best for their family. To me, taking care of family doesn't include taking pennies on the dollar. Allen Iverson can't feed his family with the fan's goodwill.

Hmm I'd take a pay cut to get a job with the Bengals if it got me a ring.  My wife woul dnt be too happy with all that though. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 12:47 PM)Nepa Wrote: If a man can't take care of his family making tens of millions each year (40 million? 50 million? 60 million? per year!), and with the name recognition to get more in other ways, then something is wrong.

If he cares about his teammates, his team, and fans, then those should be part of the equation as well. And if he has a winning team, and sacrifices somewhat to have a winning team, then his name recognition and favorability rating will benefit as well. As will his enjoyment from coming to work every day.

In other words, it's not just money, money, money. That may be the agent's number one motivation. But a player has many factors to consider. I trust Joe will take in all these factors.

Generational wealth takes care of generations of family. It can allow him to make a positive impact in other people's lives he may not even know now. Take Warrick Dunn charities as an example.

Joe has brought attention to the poverty in the region of Ohio he grew up. This contract funds any philanthropy he may be interested in to help his community more than fan's goodwill for taking a hometown discount. (This is just pure speculation on my part, but potential reason for not taking less.)

Do you know anyone in your industry who has voluntarily taking less money because they care about their co-workers?
Reply/Quote
Joe’s family is his teammates. I know in the minority but I don’t think Joe’s contract is the highest per year. Maybe in total dollars.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 01:00 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Joe’s family is his teammates. I know in the minority but I don’t think Joe’s contract is the highest per year. Maybe in total dollars.

If Mixon and Burrow's mother were both drowning in a rip current and Burrow could only save one, who would he save? His family? Or his teammate?
Reply/Quote
Wonder if Trey's new deal moves money to open up more guaranteed cash this year for Joe and Tee.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 01:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If Mixon and Burrow's mother were both drowning in a rip current and Burrow could only save one, who would he save? His family? Or his teammate?

Ha ha if I have to answer that for you you need immediate help.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 01:12 PM)phil413 Wrote: Wonder if Trey's new deal moves money to open up more guaranteed cash this year for Joe and Tee.

Extensions typically convert future money to roster bonuses. So I'd guess increased salary cap this year due to a greater roster bonus.  Decreased salary cap hit next year.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 01:15 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Ha ha if I have to answer that for you you need immediate help.

That fact you refuse to answer proves my point.  Reality trumps platitudes.  Can you explain why I would need help for you to admit the blatantly obvious truth?
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 01:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If Mixon and Burrow's mother were both drowning in a rip current and Burrow could only save one, who would he save? His family? Or his teammate?

Trick question. Mixons IS Burrow's mother. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 02:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Trick question. Mixons IS Burrow's mother. Ninja

Sophie's choice.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 01:21 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: That fact you refuse to answer proves my point.  Reality trumps platitudes.  Can you explain why I would need help for you to admit the blatantly obvious truth?

Why waste my time on meaningless banter by you?

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 12:45 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: For once, I suspect I will be surprised by the front office's ingenuity at how they structure this contract based upon their decisions over the course of the previous four seasons

That's the biggest thing i'm waiting for. Will it be just another cookie cutter or will it have some innovation?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 02:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Trick question. Mixons IS Burrow's mother. Ninja

[Image: yes-squirrel.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 02:24 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Why waste my time on meaningless banter by you?

The sheer irony of this meaningless banter is ***** hilarious.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 12:59 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Do you know anyone in your industry who has voluntarily taking less money because they care about their co-workers?

Funny question to pose to me, because I don't have to look any further than myself. I offered my nonprofit employer to reduce my pay, quite substantially actually, to help the organization and so they could hire someone they needed for a position. I have been working with that lower pay for several years already. As I said, money isn't everything. I love my job. I love my co-workers. I love coming to work every day. This is a very harmonious organization, where everyone gets along, and it is a very fulfilling mission working with young people. As someone said, "find a job that you love, and you will never work a day in your life." I feel like that. Yes, my family could do a lot better if I took a higher paying job elsewhere. (I have a Ph.D, and have taught at universities for years, but turned down longer term opportunities to help this small nonprofit.) But life is about balance and I feel fulfilled bringing joy to others and helping my organization to succeed. And my kids and wife respect me for what I'm doing. I can't ask for more than that.

I think Joe Burrow is a kindred spirit in that he weighs the needs of the organization and fans and teammates as well as his own family. I believe we will see a contract that doesn't handicap the Bengals future in any burdensome way.
Reply/Quote
Herbert has done nothing in this league except throw deep. Burrow has been to the SB and AFCCG. He deserves more by itself
Reply/Quote