Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam Schefter says Burrows contract will be way north of Herberts.
(07-27-2023, 02:47 PM)Nepa Wrote: Funny question to pose to me, because I don't have to look any further than myself. I offered my nonprofit employer to reduce my pay, quite substantially actually, to help the organization and so they could hire someone they needed for a position. I have been working with that lower pay for several years already. As I said, money isn't everything. I love my job. I love my co-workers. I love coming to work every day. This is a very harmonious organization, where everyone gets along, and it is a very fulfilling mission working with young people. As someone said, "find a job that you love, and you will never work a day in your life." I feel like that. Yes, my family could do a lot better if I took a higher paying job elsewhere. (I have a Ph.D, and have taught at universities for years, but turned down longer term opportunities to help this small nonprofit.) But life is about balance and I feel fulfilled bringing joy to others and helping my organization to succeed. And my kids and wife respect me for what I'm doing. I can't ask for more than that.

I think Joe Burrow is a kindred spirit in that he weighs the needs of the organization and fans and teammates as well as his own family.

I commend you. I would say you are the exception which proves the rule.

I would agree Joe Burrow seems like a kindred spirit with a streak of altruism and has a social conscious about social issues (to the consternation of some fans.)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbeswealthteam/2022/01/19/americas-top-givers-2022-the-25-most-philanthropic-billionaires/?sh=1c6195853a6c

That's a list of the Top 25 philanthropists in the US. Do you notice what they have in common?

Quote:I believe we will see a contract that doesn't handicap the Bengals future in any burdensome way.

I would argue one player accounting for 20-25% of the team's salary cap expenditure is burdensome, but that is the nature of the position in today's NFL.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 08:13 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Rodgers will also turn 40 this year. That’s the driving factor behind his declining salary.

Nope. What you said makes no sense. This isn't a new contract he signed after the old one ran out, & he got less because he's old. This is him i tentionally restructuring an alelready agreed to deal, giving up $35 mil, and allowing the Jets to use that $$ to help the team. 
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 04:03 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Nope. What you said makes no sense. This isn't a new contract he signed after the old one ran out, & he got less because he's old. This is him i tentionally restructuring an alelready agreed to deal, giving up $35 mil, and allowing the Jets to use that $$ to help the team. 

Yes, I already became aware of this and posted a reply explaining my confusion. 
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 02:53 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Herbert has done nothing in this league except throw deep. Burrow has been to the SB and AFCCG. He deserves more by itself

Burrow will get more and he should, but you have not watched much of Herbert if that is your answer to his play and ability...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The injuries are kinda starting to mount for Burrow

Broken hand in college. Torn acl 2020.. knee sprain 2021 against the chiefs in the regular season.. Another knee sprain in the superbowl. The Pinky last year. Now this..
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 12:47 PM)Nepa Wrote: If a man can't take care of his family making tens of millions each year (40 million? 50 million? 60 million? per year!), and with the name recognition to get more in other ways, then something is wrong.

If he cares about his teammates, his team, and fans, then those should be part of the equation as well. And if he has a winning team, and sacrifices somewhat to have a winning team, then his name recognition and favorability rating will benefit as well. As will his enjoyment from coming to work every day.

In other words, it's not just money, money, money. That may be the agent's number one motivation. But a player has many factors to consider. I trust Joe will take in all these factors.

the difference is many people that make millions are in jobs that do not have the risk of football, the dangers are high and careers are short, a nfl player needs to strike while the fire is hot.  Not to say they don;t consider what you are saying but you don;t see these type of players taking a bargain like agreement especially in their 20s, they know the risks
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 03:35 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I commend you. I would say you are the exception which proves the rule.

I would agree Joe Burrow seems like a kindred spirit with a streak of altruism and has a social conscious about social issues (to the consternation of some fans.)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbeswealthteam/2022/01/19/americas-top-givers-2022-the-25-most-philanthropic-billionaires/?sh=1c6195853a6c

That's a list of the Top 25 philanthropists in the US. Do you notice what they have in common?

I would argue one player accounting for 20-25% of the team's salary cap expenditure is burdensome, but that is the nature of the position in today's NFL.
 Yes, they are rich... lol
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2023, 11:49 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: the difference is many people that make millions are in jobs that do not have the risk of football, the dangers are high and careers are short, a nfl player needs to strike while the fire is hot.  Not to say they don;t consider what you are saying but you don;t see these type of players taking a bargain like agreement especially in their 20s, they know the risks

Also, a hell of a lot of people don't make enough to be able to take a pay cut.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 10:34 PM)Tony Wrote: The injuries are kinda starting to mount for Burrow

Broken hand in college. Torn acl 2020.. knee sprain 2021 against the chiefs in the regular season.. Another knee sprain in the superbowl. The Pinky last year. Now this..

Seems like a normal football players injuries to me.
Calf is just the last type of injury i wanted to see. That and hamstring. Those take full off seasons to heal
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2023, 02:48 PM)Housh Wrote: Seems like a normal football players injuries to me.
Calf is just the last type of injury i wanted to see. That and hamstring. Those take full off seasons to heal

ACL/MCL tear again would be the worst, but yeah. It isn't good. From what I am hearing from the Doc's this is a 28 day healing process.

So definitely not a full Offseason like an ACL/MCL tear would be...
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2023, 02:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: ACL/MCL tear again would be the worst, but yeah. It isn't good. From what I am hearing from the Doc's this is a 28 day healing process.

So definitely not a full Offseason like an ACL/MCL tear would be...

Achilles is even worst, which he is in Danger of , like what happend to Durrant in the NBA when he played on a claf strain.. He was out well over a year. They take the longest to heal..
Reply/Quote
This feels dirty seeing this thread right above the Joe carted off thread
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 10:47 AM)Housh Wrote: This feels dirty seeing this thread right above the Joe carted off thread

well at least we can;t blame the line on this one
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 10:31 AM)Tony Wrote: Achilles is even worst, which he is in Danger of , like what happend to Durrant in the NBA when he played on a claf strain.. He was out well over a year. They take the longest to heal..

Everyone is in danger of rupturing their achilles just walking around the yard.

Expect Joe Burrow to take his time and limit the chances of re-injury or putting himself in danger of another one.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 03:35 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: ***

Not certain of your point here. Are you saying that the more money one has the more you have the opportunity to be philanthropic? If so, I'm not sure it applies to the situation we are discussing here. 

The people on your list, like Bill Gates, were individuals who created a new industry or who made their wealth in a way vastly different than the zero sum game that is the reality of a NFL player in an industry with a salary cap. In Joe Burrow's case, the more he makes, the more he can be philanthropic, sure, but it also means less money available to another player and their ability to be philanthropic. 

If Joe Burrow wishes to join the ultrawealthy in a way that does not reduce the pot for other players, then he can use his money to build a business or can do commercials, etc. 

I hate the way that Jerry Jones mentions Micah Parsons in refusing to renegotiate one of his players contracts, but his statement shows the reality of a league with a salary cap or limited money to put toward salaries: ""We need the money to pay [Micah] Parsons. We need the money to pay the players that we got to pay in the future. It's a fact. It's not even a philosophy. It's just a fact. "

I do think that Joe is a player who is well aware of this and will take more into account than just his own wealth, but will also look out for his teammates, the team, the franchise, and the fans. We will see. I still kind of expect an agreement to come before the end of training camp.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 02:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Everyone is in danger of rupturing their achilles just walking around the yard.

Don't you put that evil on me, Ricky Bobby!
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 10:59 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well at least we can;t blame the line on this one

Give it time.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 06:44 PM)Nepa Wrote: Not certain of your point here. Are you saying that the more money one has the more you have the opportunity to be philanthropic? If so, I'm not sure it applies to the situation we are discussing here. 

The people on your list, like Bill Gates, were individuals who created a new industry or who made their wealth in a way vastly different than the zero sum game that is the reality of a NFL player in an industry with a salary cap. In Joe Burrow's case, the more he makes, the more he can be philanthropic, sure, but it also means less money available to another player and their ability to be philanthropic. 

If Joe Burrow wishes to join the ultrawealthy in a way that does not reduce the pot for other players, then he can use his money to build a business or can do commercials, etc. 

I hate the way that Jerry Jones mentions Micah Parsons in refusing to renegotiate one of his players contracts, but his statement shows the reality of a league with a salary cap or limited money to put toward salaries: ""We need the money to pay [Micah] Parsons. We need the money to pay the players that we got to pay in the future. It's a fact. It's not even a philosophy. It's just a fact. "

I do think that Joe is a player who is well aware of this and will take more into account than just his own wealth, but will also look out for his teammates, the team, the franchise, and the fans. We will see. I still kind of expect an agreement to come before the end of training camp.

If you made more money could you donate more? Would you take less in salary so a co-worker could possibly donate more?

Yes, that’s what I’m saying. You don’t see poor people on that list of philanthropists.

The NFL is not a zero sum game. Who came up with the salary cap? The salary cap is just a mechanism to control expenses so a small fraternity of billions can poor mouth when it comes to paying players to ensure the owners make a profit. Jerry Jones is the perfect example.
Reply/Quote
Anyone who thinks Burrow is taking less than market value, or less than Herbert got is, delusional, or in nicer terms, wishful thinking. If Burrow was willing to sign at a cheaper rate to help the team build around him and increase his chances of winning….why isn’t the contract done? The bengals would have signed that deal so fast. He wants market value, and the bengals and burrow are going back and forth what “market value” is. The bengals point to the recent contracts and Burrow says, “yeah but I’m bigger than Hurts, Herbert, Jackson”. Thus a deal is not done yet.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2023, 11:44 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Anyone who thinks Burrow is taking less than market value, or less than Herbert got is, delusional, or in nicer terms, wishful thinking. If Burrow was willing to sign at a cheaper rate to help the team build around him and increase his chances of winning….why isn’t the contract done? The bengals would have signed that deal so fast. He wants market value, and the bengals and burrow are going back and forth what “market value” is. The bengals point to the recent contracts and Burrow says, “yeah but I’m bigger than Hurts, Herbert, Jackson”. Thus a deal is not done yet.

I don’t see it happening but maybe they’ll do a very long contract term type deal. It could also be hinging on getting Tee done at the same time if he was working something like that out.
Reply/Quote