Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adeniji out for the year.....
(06-18-2021, 09:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Which is why I would release XSF to make it more like $12.  And maybe he would take $12 million, making the incremental cost only $9 million.  Again, I know nothing of the guy's character and I have no idea why he wanted out of Washington, but he would be a tremendous asset.  Much more valuable than another WR or LB.

I have to disagree wholeheartedly with getting rid of XFS. If we cut him and Spain or Carman get hurt, we're back to putting Jordan in at starting guard. We need XFS or Spain as the next man up.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2021, 07:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, all for Morgan Moses. Always liked the guy when I watched him play. He would have to start if we brought him in though.

If I have a problem with what SHRacer is saying it is moving Reiff to Guard over Jonah. Jonah just seems like a natural Guard 
more so than Reiff and Reiff is just such a good pass protector. With Moses recent run blocking grades he also might suit Guard
better Moses at LG? A line up of Jonah - Moses - Hopkins - Carman - Reiff could be excellent. That is some run blocking from the 
Guard positions...

I get that, but I am not going to stunt Williams development as an OT for a one-year rental like Reiff.  Moses is a RT and Reiff has experience at Guard, and being at the tail end of his career, it might suit him very well and even extend his career.  If you try to bring in Moses as a Guard, he is going to claim diminished value.  The guy has been rock solid at RT.  

Damn, I really want this to happen.  Again, not knowing the guy's character at all, and maybe the Bengals love D'Ante Smith.  I don't know.  But on the surface, I am calling him before other teams have a chance.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2021, 10:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: Pass protection is the bulk of almost any NFL OL's game anymore.  There were only 3 teams last year that ran more than they passed.  That's not to say run blocking isn't important, but the emphasis should be on what he's going to be doing the most, which is pass pro.  

Keep in mind that WFT brought John Matsko over from Carolina with Rivera and he runs a man-power blocking scheme.  Previously, they had Bill Callahan, who runs wide zone like Pollack does.  He's not going to be nearly as effective in our scheme as he was in WFT's.  You're probably looking at him backsliding to the 67.2-64.4 range he was at before Bill left, which is right about what Hart graded last year.  

Also keep in mind that Moses is a penalty machine.  He's finished 2nd in the league in penalties twice and top 15 4x since '15.  He's literally a meme among WFT fans for jumping the snap repeatedly because he's so slow getting out of his 3 point stance.  

He would be a good depth add, but there's no way I'd be penciling him in for a starting gig.

Then maybe a guy like Rick Wagner would be more fitting?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-bengals-should-sign-a-veteran-offensive-lineman-following-latest-injury-in-trenches/ar-AAL9gaO?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

Quote:Much like Moses, Rick Wagner was released earlier this offseason due to the Packers' salary cap issues. 

The 31-year-old made nine starts and appeared in all 16 games for the Packers last season. He was an high-end pass blocker according to Pro Football Focus, finishing with a 78.2 grade in pass protection and a 77 overall score. 
Wagner is a big reason why Green Bay was tied for second in the NFL in sacks allowed (21) in 2020. They allowed one sack or less in a league-best 13 games, which tied a Packers record. 
Wagner allowed one sack and one quarterback hit in 608 offensive snaps according to PFF. 
Signing him would not only bolster their depth, but it would give them a chance to move Reiff to guard if Jackson Carman struggled early in his career. 
Other free agent options include tackle Dennis Kelly, or interior linemen like Trai Turner, Nick Easton and Austin Reiter. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2021, 09:52 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I have to disagree wholeheartedly with getting rid of XFS. If we cut him and Spain or Carman get hurt, we're back to putting Jordan in at starting guard. We need XFS or Spain as the next man up.

They also have Price.  I am willing to get to the third string at Guard where there is not as much difference in the talent level as compared to having very poor depth at the all-important position of tackle.  Remember, you are also adding Reiff to that list of guards.  
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2021, 10:08 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Then maybe a guy like Rick Wagner would be more fitting?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-bengals-should-sign-a-veteran-offensive-lineman-following-latest-injury-in-trenches/ar-AAL9gaO?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

Wagner would be a good pickup imo, as would Mitchell Schwartz, depending on how they are recovering from injuries from last year.  Both guys have talked about retirement, though, so I wouldn't anticipate either signing before TC is over.  
Reply/Quote
Riley Reiff is the best pass protecting Offensive Tackle on the roster and everyone wants to move him to Guard lol. I would rather he stays a tackle vs TJ Watt and Myles Garrett...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2021, 10:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: They also have Price.  I am willing to get to the third string at Guard where there is not as much difference in the talent level as compared to having very poor depth at the all-important position of tackle.  Remember, you are also adding Reiff to that list of guards.  

Price has the same problem as Hopkins, they are centers who are not good guards. Has Reiff ever played guard in the NFL? (Honest question, I don't know) I'd keep him right where he's at.... we know with XFS he's a decent guard when healthy. 
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2021, 09:56 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I get that, but I am not going to stunt Williams development as an OT for a one-year rental like Reiff.  Moses is a RT and Reiff has experience at Guard, and being at the tail end of his career, it might suit him very well and even extend his career.  If you try to bring in Moses as a Guard, he is going to claim diminished value.  The guy has been rock solid at RT.  

Damn, I really want this to happen.  Again, not knowing the guy's character at all, and maybe the Bengals love D'Ante Smith.  I don't know.  But on the surface, I am calling him before other teams have a chance.  

Reiff can play LT too, I just want Reiff at Tackle. Moses just might not fit our needs if he is purely a RT if you don't want to stunt
Jonah's development as an OT. Moses will have to start if we brought him in. There are only 2 starting OT's.
Reply/Quote
other than Burrow, offensive line is the LAST place you want to see injuries on this team

but those 2 are related

o-line DEPTH is awful with an already bottom 10 unit
Reply/Quote
Yeah this sucks, as I felt Adeniji showed some promise at times for a 6th rounder thrown into the lineup as a rookie. Along with some of the names mentioned above, Nick Easton is still unsigned I believe. He visited back in March.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2021, 08:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: He's better than Hart, but 41 pressures and 5 sacks allowed are not good pass pro numbers.  It would be interesting to see if PFF is giving him a number of positive ratings on pass plays to even out his mistakes on his grading scale.  Last year was also a career year for him.  He graded out in the mid 60's the previous 3 seasons.

The point seems kind of moot because it looks like he's signing with the Jets.  

The same number of sacks that Jonah Williams was liable for, in only 10 games..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2021, 10:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The same number of sacks that Jonah Williams was liable for, in only 10 games..

Jonah was only credited with 3 sacks allowed per PFF.  Moses' 5 sacks allowed tied him for 12th most among OT's.  
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2021, 11:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: Jonah was only credited with 3 sacks allowed per PFF.  Moses' 5 sacks allowed tied him for 12th most among OT's.  

Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller of SXM NFL Radio did the breakdown of the Bengals OL yesterday.  They had Williams for 5 sacks.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2021, 07:12 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller of SXM NFL Radio did the breakdown of the Bengals OL yesterday.  They had Williams for 5 sacks.

Everyone seems to think Pollack and Jonah are god like. They their going to make this line amazing. First, I'm glad Pollacks back but he's not a miracle worker. Second, Jonah has a lot to learn because he can't keep his ass on the field. The kids going to have to stay healthy and stay on the field or he'll be somewhere else in the NFL. You don't give 10M contracts to going guys who can't stay healthy. 

Otherwise, the depth on this OL I don't trust. I feel similar to this line as I did going into last season when I felt they'd be in deep crap if there were any injuries.  We all best pray Reiff and Jonah play 16 games because with what's behind them you might wanna play Allen and save Burrows other knee.
Reply/Quote
Hobson made me feel pretty good about Jonah.
https://www.bengals.com/news/jonah-williams-vows-bringing-the-fight-to-bengals-blindside

"According to Pro Football Focus, in his first NFL game he allowed just three hurries against the Chargers pass-rush tandem of Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram on a defense that would finish in the top ten in quarterback knockdowns. In his first game against the Browns' Myles Garrett, he allowed no sacks and two hits on 72 Burrow dropbacks.

Although Williams allowed one of the eight sacks in Philadelphia that next week, Callahan feels like he played well that Sunday, allowing just one other pressure against a team that finished the season with the third-most sacks. He allowed no pressures on the 23 passes before he got hurt against a Miami defense that finished in the top ten in sacks. He also gave up no pressures against the Jaguars' explosive young edgers, Josh Allen and K'Lavon Chaisson, and yielded no sacks while allowing one hit on Burrow to a Ravens defense that had the NFL's second-most quarterback knockdowns."

I thought there were tough cuts at the back end of our OL to get to 53. Losing Adeniji thins that out. Sucks because its so early and I was looking forward to see if he took another step, he had some flashes.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2021, 09:33 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Everyone seems to think Pollack and Jonah are god like. They their going to make this line amazing.

They are called homers
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2021, 11:59 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Price has the same problem as Hopkins, they are centers who are not good guards. Has Reiff ever played guard in the NFL? (Honest question, I don't know) I'd keep him right where he's at.... we know with XFS he's a decent guard when healthy. 

Reiff played some LG in college at Iowa.  He is a better run blocker than pass blocker, too, at this point in his career and fits well as a guard.  Plus, he said publicly that he would play anywhere on the line that he was needed.

Instead of asking yourself if you want Reiff or XSF at Guard (which really shouldn't even be a debate), ask yourself how you feel with Fred Johnson being the first OT off the bench and no one with any NFL experience behind him.  It should be noted that both Jonah and Reiff have missed significant time in the last two years.  Reiff could slide back outside if one of the OTs went down and you could have Spain at LG.  Then Fred Johnson is the 2nd OT off the bench.  You wouldn't have to mess with Carman's development as a guard unless you lost 3 OTs.  

It isn't about wanting Reiff at Guard, it is about wanting better depth of talent at OT. 
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2021, 01:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Reiff can play LT too, I just want Reiff at Tackle. Moses just might not fit our needs if he is purely a RT if you don't want to stunt
Jonah's development as an OT. Moses will have to start if we brought him in. There are only 2 starting OT's.

If you want the 5 best guys on the field, you get all three of them out there.  Reiff is the oldest, with the lowest pass-blocking grade of the 3.  He is also only here on a one-year deal.  If they gave Moses a 3 year deal, you don't have to draft an OT with your first pick next year.  You could draft a CB.  Or a LB if this crop of CB really shows.  

Note:  Pick 32 probably won't have a starting-caliber OT.   Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2021, 11:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If you want the 5 best guys on the field, you get all three of them out there.  Reiff is the oldest, with the lowest pass-blocking grade of the 3.  He is also only here on a one-year deal.  If they gave Moses a 3 year deal, you don't have to draft an OT with your first pick next year.  You could draft a CB.  Or a LB if this crop of CB really shows.  

Note:  Pick 32 probably won't have a starting-caliber OT.   Ninja

I read another post that said NYJ were close to signing Moses but the hang up was he wont play guard.   
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2021, 10:20 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: They are called homers

And if you point out the fact that all this hope hinges on a lot of unknowns and "ifs" and don't get all rah-rah... you're called negative and a downer. It's a wonderful world lol.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote