Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adeniji out for the year.....
(06-21-2021, 10:59 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I think his point is that Carsone and Burrow both got hurt the SAME way, with two completely-different calibres of lines.

I stand by it to this day, Carson was targeted because Pitt knew they couldn't beat him. Hell even with Kitna that game was close. Kimo dove late and knew what he was doing. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 10:16 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: agreed --why not have 3 good OT and allow some competition. If Reif and Jonah beat out Moses then Moses can compete with Spain for LG. Or if Moses performs better than Spain and Reif is better fit at LG then Moses starts at RT. If Moses and Reif are best then Jonah competes at LG with Spain. One injury does not hurt team as first guy off the bench is decent. Bengals are thin to start with --one injury means we are using the same guys that stuggled last year --see Johnson, Fred. Salaries are dropping and players wanna play --so pick up a vet and create competition 

Turner had a lot of competition for spots and shuffling of the deck on the OL.  It didn't work out very well. Continuity and getting comfortable with the guys next to you is very important, and it's something we've lacked the last couple of years.  

The whole thing seems weird to me.  Adeniji wasn't even listed as a T.  WFT is prepped to roll with a rookie 2nd rounder in Cosmi at RT after releasing Moses and we're freaking out about a rookie 2nd rounder and 4th rounder as backups behind a quality veteran starter.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2021, 09:20 AM)Whatever Wrote: Turner had a lot of competition for spots and shuffling of the deck on the OL.  It didn't work out very well. Continuity and getting comfortable with the guys next to you is very important, and it's something we've lacked the last couple of years.  

The whole thing seems weird to me.  Adeniji wasn't even listed as a T.  WFT is prepped to roll with a rookie 2nd rounder in Cosmi at RT after releasing Moses and we're freaking out about a rookie 2nd rounder and 4th rounder as backups behind a quality veteran starter.

I wasn't suggesting shuffling the deck. I was suggesting competition to win a spot. You can have a stable starting line-up AND depth. You don't need to mix up the line. Camp can be used to name your starters and allow them to grow together. Biggest risk for this team right now is an injury to an OT. Can't count on Fred Johnson and if they need to move Carmen then that is undercutting your point about stability as now you have changes at two positions. The way you state it --sounds like Carmen is on the bench and not starting LG.

Washington signed two veteran OT's this off-season and cut Moses who was earning over 8.6  mil as a salary cap move. So Cosmi has to beat out a vet to get a job which means they either have a vet on the bench or Cosmi on the bench. We have Fred and a fourth rounder.  
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 10:37 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Carson Palmer had one of the best lines in football for most of his career in Cincy. 2005 playoffs was a freak accident. 2006 line was a top 10 unit.

This current line? Nowhere near as good.

Terrible o-line = greater chance of the qb getting hurt.

This is a fact

These are all facts

Agree with the facts.

Lets see if the additions help us for the good. Mellow

(06-21-2021, 10:59 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I think his point is that Carson and Burrow both got hurt the SAME way, with two completely-different calibres of lines.

ThumbsUp

As usual, yeah.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2021, 04:28 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: I wasn't suggesting shuffling the deck. I was suggesting competition to win a spot. You can have a stable starting line-up AND depth. You don't need to mix up the line. Camp can be used to name your starters and allow them to grow together. Biggest risk for this team right now is an injury to an OT. Can't count on Fred Johnson and if they need to move Carmen then that is undercutting your point about stability as now you have changes at two positions. The way you state it --sounds like Carmen is on the bench and not starting LG.

Washington signed two veteran OT's this off-season and cut Moses who was earning over 8.6  mil as a salary cap move. So Cosmi has to beat out a vet to get a job which means they either have a vet on the bench or Cosmi on the bench. We have Fred and a fourth rounder.  

In your earlier post, you talked about the loser of the T battle jumping over to G.  So that's 7-8 different 1st team OL combinations you have to work out with limited padded practices and 1 fewer preseason game.  The line won't develop continuity that way.  

If Carman is the 2nd team RT, he will be working next to and developing continuity with the 2nd team RG who will be moving into the lineup if Carman has to slide out.  

Most 4th round draft picks on the OL play.  Last year, 9 of 11 4th round OL played, with 7 of those playing 100+ snaps.  Of the two that didn't, one went on IR at the end of TC.  Only Logan Stenberg, who struggled in Lions camp and was inactive most of the year, was healthy and didn't see the field.  A 4th round pick as a backup is not a reason to hit the panic button.  Fred has looked ok at LT, though he sucked at RG and RT.  

Besides which, why would Moses sign here to enter a dogfight with Reiff for a starting job when he can just wait for somebody to get hurt and guarantee himself a starting job and a shot at a big payday in '22 when the cap goes up?  It makes no business sense for him to sign here with the current situation.
Reply/Quote
So could Adeniji be placed on IR - Return list?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Adeniji wasn't likely going to make an impact. We needed a starter at that position, we gambled on what we had (Reiff and Jonah). If either of those guys went down, in reality, Adeniji wasn't going to step in and pick up that slack.

I mean, it sucks for his development, but his likely impact on next season if healthy was negligible. Him being out? Means he's likely negligible for 2022.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2021, 12:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: Most 4th round draft picks on the OL play.  Last year, 9 of 11 4th round OL played, with 7 of those playing 100+ snaps.  

(06-24-2021, 01:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The fact that only 4 of 11 Fourth round picks played more 100 snaps means that Fourth round picks have a negligible impact.

That's not what he said, read it again.

FWIW, I'm not sure that "100 snaps" is any sort of significant number. That's roughly a game and a half for an average OL.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2021, 12:03 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I stand by it to this day, Carson was targeted because Pitt knew they couldn't beat him. Hell even with Kitna that game was close. Kimo dove late and knew what he was doing. 

If that's true then screw this team for not doing the exact same thing to Ben on his next drop back. 
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 07:33 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's not what he said, read it again.

FWIW, I'm not sure that "100 snaps" is any sort of significant number.  That's roughly a game and a half for an average OL.

100 snaps seemed like a good round number representing a rookie coming in for someone mid-game and playing the following game.  Most of those 7 guys actually played a lot more than that, but I felt that it was a good number when discussing 4th rounders as viable backup.  
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 08:25 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If that's true then screw this team for not doing the exact same thing to Ben on his next drop back. 

Instead they snapped Quincey Morgan's ankle in a pile up on the ensuing kickoff.  So they took their revenge on a guy that wasn't involved in Palmer's injury and wouldn't have a big impact on the game.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 09:27 AM)Whatever Wrote: 100 snaps seemed like a good round number representing a rookie coming in for someone mid-game and playing the following game.  Most of those 7 guys actually played a lot more than that, but I felt that it was a good number when discussing 4th rounders as viable backup.  

Alright, that makes a difference, as in some of those guys saw continuous, extended playing time, as opposed to 100+ snaps of spot duty.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 08:25 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If that's true then screw this team for not doing the exact same thing to Ben on his next drop back. 

I never wanted to believe Kimo did that on purpose, since he had been a Bengal. But watching him grab Palmers ankle then driving into his knee leaves little doubt it was a purposeful act. They said he was devastated after the play. I think he meant to take just him out of the game without totally destroying his knee. I lost all respect for the guy after that. 
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 07:33 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's not what he said, read it again.

My mistake.

Post deleted.
Reply/Quote