Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Age check….who were the top 3 players on the team when you 1st started watching?
(11-19-2022, 02:32 PM)M.W. Wrote: Jeff Blake
Carl Pickens
Darney Scott

Ouch, the 90s.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bob Johnson
Paul Robinson
Bob Trumpy
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 08:16 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Bob Johnson
Paul Robinson
Bob Trumpy

What years did these dudes play? Lol

I don’t recognize either of these names
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Original Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 08:21 PM)Housh Wrote: What years did these dudes play? Lol

I do know Bob Johnson and Trumpy were Bengal greats. I guess I am a young punk too at 40 years old. Mellow

Isaac Curtis was around at that time or a little after who could be Jerry Rice before Jerry Rice.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 06:51 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Ouch, the 90s.

I was a fan as a kid since 81, but I became a die-hard fan during that stretch of the 90s. It's hard to root for a hopeless loser.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 06:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Rudi had great vision and he was tough, but he had a fantastic OL those years. Wish our current OL could turn into something
comparable. If they do, Mixon could blow up for huge yards in the back half of the season, same with Perine and Evans if he is 
back anytime soon and gets some snaps. The Panthers game could just be the beginning, sure as hell hope so.

Rudi (at his peak) was better than Mixon. We make so many excuses for that guy. He's not terrible, just not what he looked like he'd be coming out of college. I guess Joe's a lil more versatile, but Rudi would break off long TD runs, trucked some of the all time great defenders, and made Corey f'n Dillon expendable (let that last one sink in).
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
2003, so...

Chad
Willie

After that it's hard to say for third place. Maybe Rudi or Simmons or J. Smith or Braham. I'd even consider Warrick.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 10:58 PM)jason Wrote: Rudi (at his peak) was better than Mixon. We make so many excuses for that guy. He's not terrible, just not what he looked like he'd be coming out of college. I guess Joe's a lil more versatile, but Rudi would break off long TD runs, trucked some of the all time great defenders, and made Corey f'n Dillon expendable (let that last one sink in).

Rudi was effective within his own skillset, but he added absolutely nothing in the passing game. I think it's hard to say. Even Rudi's capacity for long runs was blunted after 2003. He was extremely consistent (1300+ and 12 TDs three straight seasons), but also very low in variance (so his ceiling wasn't sky high).
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 08:21 PM)Housh Wrote: What years did these dudes play? Lol

Well then, you may want to try harder at being a Bengals fan
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Some fans are so old, they forgot how to count to three.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 11:09 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Rudi was effective within his own skillset, but he added absolutely nothing in the passing game. I think it's hard to say. Even Rudi's capacity for long runs was blunted after 2003. He was extremely consistent (1300+ and 12 TDs three straight seasons), but also very low in variance (so his ceiling wasn't sky high).

How many RB’s were big factors in the passing game in the early-mid 00’s?

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 11:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How many RB’s were big factors in the passing game in the early-mid 00’s?

There weren't many... Faulk and LT come to mind.

Either way gimme 1,300 yards on the ground, and 12 TDs any day on this current team. You can keep your RB receptions.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 11:25 PM)Destro Wrote: Some fans are so old, they forgot how to count to three.

Others just blurted out rando old school players too...

Lemme go...

Randy Cross
Mike Pagel
Billy Sims
Vann McElroy
Reggie Roby

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 04:18 AM)TheFan Wrote: Some of y'all need to go back to school and learn how to count to 3.

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 11:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How many RB’s were big factors in the passing game in the early-mid 00’s?

(11-20-2022, 12:03 AM)jason Wrote: There weren't many... Faulk and LT come to mind.

Either way gimme 1,300 yards on the ground, and 12 TDs any day on this current team. You can keep your RB receptions.

First one that came to my mind:

[Image: S_Keynote-900x627.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2022, 12:03 AM)jason Wrote: There weren't many... Faulk and LT come to mind.

Yeah, just out of curiosity I looked up Shaun Alexander’s receiving numbers since he was the big thing in the NFL when I first got really into following the Bengals; and his best season receiving he had 460 yards and 2 TD’s.

That was probably high back then, but now you have guy’s like Austin Eckler that are capable of putting up twice that in a season.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2022, 12:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, just out of curiosity I looked up Shaun Alexander’s receiving numbers since he was the big thing in the NFL when I first got really into following the Bengals; and his best season receiving he had 460 yards and 2 TD’s.

That was probably high back then, but now you have guy’s like Austin Eckler that are capable of putting up twice that in a season.

Don't forget about Edgerrin James. Talk about a stud. Rushed for over 1500 yards and had almost 600 yards receiving his rookie year in 1999. His second year was even better.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 11:09 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Rudi was effective within his own skillset, but he added absolutely nothing in the passing game. I think it's hard to say. Even Rudi's capacity for long runs was blunted after 2003. He was extremely consistent (1300+ and 12 TDs three straight seasons), but also very low in variance (so his ceiling wasn't sky high).

This. And even with though he was consistent he wasn't as good as memory may try to make him. In his 3 best years he averaged 346 carries per year (361, 341, and 337) for only 4.0ypc. His best average in his career was 4.5ypc (none of those 3 years) and for his career he only averaged 3.9 ypc.  

Mixon has never had more than 300 carries in a year, had a 4.9ypc year and his career average is 4.1. Mixon has almost 2.5x as many receiving yards. 

For his career Mixon has more total yards, better average yards, and as many touchdowns with 166 less touches. 
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 09:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I do know Bob Johnson and Trumpy were Bengal greats. I guess I am a young punk too at 40 years old. Mellow

Isaac Curtis was around at that time or a little after who could be Jerry Rice before Jerry Rice.

Isaac Curtis does not get near the recognition he deserves, of course that goes for Kenny Anderson as well. 

Nationally that is, of course Bengal fans remember their greatness. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote