Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Age check….who were the top 3 players on the team when you 1st started watching?
(11-19-2022, 02:56 AM)Mer Wrote: I started watching with Ken Anderson, Chris Collinsworth,  and Anthony Munoz.

I started being a serious fan with Boomer, Icky, and Brooks.

The same for me.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 08:42 AM)kevin Wrote: Paul Robinson was AFL Rookie of the Year as he led the AFL in rushing yards, so he gave Bengals Fans something to cheer about on that first year expansion team.

Bob Trumpy at TE led the Bengals in receiving and he was big and it took 2 or 3 to tackle him.  For a TE, he ran the long bomb play better than any TE in Bengals history still to this day. He would become an All Pro Tight End award winner in the coming years.

Bob Johnson was the first Bengals draft pick ever and he was the Bengals Center for many years.  

I must add a 4th in the bruising blocks of Guard Pat Matson who was a great pulling guard for Bengals many years helping these runners get the holes to run through.  He could flat out bulldoze and pancake defensive players with monster blocks that had the Cincy crowd cheer at how bone crushing his blocks were opening huge running lanes on those power sweeps.

But in the end, in 1968, everybody was excited about NFL HALL OF FAME Paul Brown bringing a Pro Football Team to baseball town Cincinnati, as an owner, GM and Head Coach.

That first year, the Star was easily AFL Rookie of The Year Paul Robinson and as he said at the AFL All-Star Game, " All Right ".  

Tiger

Same here:

Paul Robinson 
Bob Trumpy 
Bob Johnson 
Reply/Quote
Ken Anderson
Bob Trumpy
Boobie Clark

Special Mention to Horst Muhlmann
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I remember thinking Virgil Carter was a great QB.. Hey, I was a kid at the time.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Anderson, Curtis, and Riley, but I was learning what the game was all about.

It was a couple of years later, during the Road to Detroit, that I truly became a fan.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 08:42 AM)kevin Wrote: Paul Robinson was AFL Rookie of the Year as he led the AFL in rushing yards, so he gave Bengals Fans something to cheer about on that first year expansion team.

Bob Trumpy at TE led the Bengals in receiving and he was big and it took 2 or 3 to tackle him.  For a TE, he ran the long bomb play better than any TE in Bengals history still to this day. He would become an All Pro Tight End award winner in the coming years.

Bob Johnson was the first Bengals draft pick ever and he was the Bengals Center for many years.  

I must add a 4th in the bruising blocks of Guard Pat Matson who was a great pulling guard for Bengals many years helping these runners get the holes to run through.  He could flat out bulldoze and pancake defensive players with monster blocks that had the Cincy crowd cheer at how bone crushing his blocks were opening huge running lanes on those power sweeps.

But in the end, in 1968, everybody was excited about NFL HALL OF FAME Paul Brown bringing a Pro Football Team to baseball town Cincinnati, as an owner, GM and Head Coach.

That first year, the Star was easily AFL Rookie of The Year Paul Robinson and as he said at the AFL All-Star Game, " All Right ".  

Tiger
Same here: 

Paul Robinson
Bob Johnson
Bob Trumpy
Reply/Quote
Rough question because I started watching when I bc was old enough to know what football was, so probably Boomer, Icky, and Munoz.

Didn’t follow them much in the 90s because I was more into college football but when I got more into them after the wreck, the top three were probably Rudi, Chad, and TJ.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 11:25 PM)Destro Wrote: Some fans are so old, they forgot how to count to three.

I’m one of them!
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 01:30 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Top 3 when I started watching

Football:
Roger Staubach
Drew Person
Calvin Hill

Bengals:
Ken Anderson
Ken Riley
Isaac Curtis

Unfortunately, I'm as old as this poor bastard. That said, we added Collinsworth about a season or two later and got to watch Diana Ross perform. 
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 01:11 AM)Housh Wrote: Who can guess my age?

Chad, Carson and Willie Anderson.

You're 37 maybe.....when I first started watching nfl the Bengals best 3 players were Munoz, Kenny Anderson and then prolly Reggie Williams or Pete Johnson.

My first season of Bengal Fandom the top 3 were Boomer, krumrie and Munoz still.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 01:30 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Top 3 when I started watching

Football:
Roger Staubach
Drew Person
Calvin Hill

Bengals:
Ken Anderson
Ken Riley
Isaac Curtis

In this specific format I'm similar

Football:

Tony Dorsett 
Drew pearson
Danny white

Bengals:

Boomer
Munoz
Krumrie
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
Paul Robinson, Bob Trumpy and Bob Johnson
Reply/Quote
Esiason, woods, Munoz
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2022, 12:11 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Rough question because I started watching when I bc was old enough to know what football was, so probably Boomer, Icky, and Munoz.

Didn’t follow them much in the 90s because I was more into college football but when I got more into them after the wreck, the top three were probably Rudi, Chad, and TJ.

45?
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 10:58 PM)jason Wrote: Rudi (at his peak) was better than Mixon. We make so many excuses for that guy. He's not terrible, just not what he looked like he'd be coming out of college. I guess Joe's a lil more versatile, but Rudi would break off long TD runs, trucked some of the all time great defenders, and made Corey f'n Dillon expendable (let that last one sink in).

Talent wise there is no comparison, Mixon is ten times as talented as Rudi, but it doesn't matter if Mixon isn't hitting 
the hole. That is where Rudi was always just dependable, one of our best RB's but not even close to as versatile as 
Mixon, not just a lil' lol

(11-19-2022, 11:09 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Rudi was effective within his own skillset, but he added absolutely nothing in the passing game. I think it's hard to say. Even Rudi's capacity for long runs was blunted after 2003. He was extremely consistent (1300+ and 12 TDs three straight seasons), but also very low in variance (so his ceiling wasn't sky high).

True, I would take Mixon over Rudi for that very reason, way more versatile. Rudi was a tough sumbitch though.

(11-20-2022, 12:13 AM)bfine32 Wrote: First one that came to my mind:

[Image: S_Keynote-900x627.jpg]

Curtis Martin was the only reason why I liked the Jets at all. Damn good RB and very underrated.

(11-20-2022, 01:44 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Isaac Curtis does not get near the recognition he deserves, of course that goes for Kenny Anderson as well. 

Nationally that is, of course Bengal fans remember their greatness. 

No doubt Go Cards. Before my time but I definitely looked him up, great speed and hands, one of the best ever.

Kenny was so accurate as well, one of the best QB's ever.
Reply/Quote
Bengals
1. Corey Dillon
2. Willie Anderson
3. Takeo Spikes

NFL
1. Payton Manning
2. Marshall Faulk
3. Ray Lewis
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2022, 02:50 PM)Synric Wrote: Bengals
1. Corey Dillon
2. Willie Anderson
3. Takeo Spikes

NFL
1. Payton Manning
2. Marshall Faulk
3. Ray Lewis

GTFO
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2022, 02:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: GTFO

Lol Lewis was the Defensive Player of the year when I was 16.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Boomer, Icky, Munoz
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2022, 06:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Boomer, Icky and Munoz.

Same. Got on the '89 Superbowl bandwagon as a kid and never got off. 

Reply/Quote