Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Alec Pierce visit
I see them going best player available, and that's not going to be Pierce. Maybe they are just looking at him for the 2nd round. Only way I see this is if they have plans to replace Boyd in the near future, then it may make sense since it usually takes 3 years for a WR to hit his stride and they want to keep Burrow's target locker full. I suspect we take a DE or CB in the first.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 09:46 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I don't think so. Our 1st rd pick shouldn't be the 4th player at his position.

But if his talent is close to that of Higgins and Boyd, you don't have as much of a drop off if one guy is injured, or (more likely) not able to be extended. 

The board isn't going to want to hear this, but Higgins has that same butthole agent as Bates.  Chances are VERY good the Bengals try to extend him after the season and are miles apart heading in to his final year.  So, best to get something for him on the market than not re-sign him and get nothing other than a late 3rd compensatory pick at best.  If you have Pierce that gets some time and experience this year, the dropoff will not be as significant.  

Let's face it, WR is a premium position, but with so much talent coming out of the draft NFL ready, I can't help but think the vision of having Higgins and Chase next to each other for a decade isn't realistic.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 12:39 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Linderbaum. It will be interesting to see if he’s still there at 31. Teams might be afraid of the short arms, but he just killed it at his Pro Day, and his RAS is elite.

Most importantly, his TAPE is elite.  If this guy is there at 31, they take him and move Karras the LG (where he has played and played very well) and you have a few more years to see if you can develop Carman.

This makes the entire offense better and I can't think of any single player close to pick 31 that could have that kind of immediate impact.  

Of course, I am getting excited about him and someone will jump the Bengals and pick him at pick 30 a la Frank Ragnow.  
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 08:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: But if his talent is close to that of Higgins and Boyd, you don't have as much of a drop off if one guy is injured, or (more likely) not able to be extended. 

The board isn't going to want to hear this, but Higgins has that same butthole agent as Bates.  Chances are VERY good the Bengals try to extend him after the season and are miles apart heading in to his final year.  So, best to get something for him on the market than not re-sign him and get nothing other than a late 3rd compensatory pick at best.  If you have Pierce that gets some time and experience this year, the dropoff will not be as significant.  

Let's face it, WR is a premium position, but with so much talent coming out of the draft NFL ready, I can't help but think the vision of having Higgins and Chase next to each other for a decade isn't realistic.  

Then again, that same butthold agent for Bates has gone 2 seasons now without securing a long term deal for Bates, hence he hasn't gotten his share, so maybe he will realize he can't play those games with Katie.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 08:42 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Then again, that same butthold agent for Bates has gone 2 seasons now without securing a long term deal for Bates, hence he hasn't gotten his share, so maybe he will realize he can't play those games with Katie.

One can hope, or hope that Tee actually tells the agent he wants to be here and to "make it happen".  Of course, this will sound like me being a MASSIVE homer, but if I am higgins and the Bengals offer me a 5 year, $50 million extension after year three, I jump all over it because I have Joe Burrow throwing me the ball and Ja'Marr Chase drawing coverage.  I don't think there is a better spot for a WR in the NFL...or world.  
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 01:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No. Because that's 1 round alone vs 6 rounds accumulated (plus UDFAs).

There were 5 1st round and 31 2nd-7th round WRs in the 2021 draft.
There were 6 1st round and 29 2nd-7th round WRs in the 2020 draft.
There were 2 1st round and 26 2nd-7th round WRs in the 2019 draft.
There were 2 1st round and 31 2nd-7th round WRs in the 2018 draft.
There were 3 1st round and 29 2nd-7th round WRs in the 2017 draft.

So that's 5/10 coming from a pool of ~3.5 per year and 5/10 coming from a pool of ~29 per year. The Bengals aren't able to draft a WR in every single round 2-7 so that's not just as good of a chance, that's about 1/8th the chance more or less.

You're correct and I erred on percentage comment but still it does not change the fact that the Bengals don't need a #1 per there is not enough balls to go around. In my opinion Bengals should not throw a first round draft pick at that position this year. Nor does it change that only half of the #1's are not selected in 1st round. Most WR's selected in the 6th, 7th, and as UDFA's were not even expected to make the team let alone be a #1 on the team as well and only muddy the percentages imo.  

Bengals already feature two #1's in Chase and Higgins which is what these percentages show, and a great complimentary receiver in Boyd. 

Expect to see the Bengals run much more this season as well with the O-line additions whose strengths are run blocking. Which in turn will leave less passes to catch yet set up potentially more long balls. 

Once again the Bengals are in search of a #4 WR this year who is willing to play ST's and contribute on 20 something catches most likely. 

Yet you make excellent points but I think it would cause dissension amongst the ranks to add a great WR now. Think Bengals need to go best G, C, CB, TE, or S available with pick. Don't think there will be a worthy TE here though.
Don't think a RB should be selected this high either  but would like that more than a WR personally.   Two great backs could be way more useful presently and then Bengals would be loaded at WR and RB. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 08:12 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Would you be comfortable with the Bengals taking a WR with their first round pick? I really like this Alec Pierce from UC.He’s a big receiver that is very athletic,and he’s fast.(4.41 forty)I know they have other needs,but this would sure add to Joe Burrow’s arsenal.I wouldn’t be disappointed if they selected him in the first round,if he’s still There.The Bengals just had him in for a visit.

I've watched that kid and he is a great talent.  He reminds me a lot of Tee Higgins, has great ability to high point the football.

Never know how he'll pan out but he might just be one of those players you look back on in a couple years and say "we took Player X and could've had Alec Pierce"!

This board would go absolutely bonkers if we took him in the RD1.  I wouldn't hate it cause I've watched him a lot and don't think he'll be a bust like John Ross.  That said, if you could get him later it would be better.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 08:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: But if his talent is close to that of Higgins and Boyd, you don't have as much of a drop off if one guy is injured, or (more likely) not able to be extended. 

Fans complain about the Bengals not going "all in" to win a championship and once we get a championship roster in place they are saying we should trade away our star players for "the future".
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Fans complain about the Bengals not going "all in" to win a championship and once we get a championship roster in place they are saying we should trade away our star players for "the future".

You can’t keep everyone when you have a championship roster.  So, you will need to pick and choose at some stage.  Better to trade a player a year earlier than lose then as a UFA.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 01:15 PM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: You can’t keep everyone when you have a championship roster.  So, you will need to pick and choose at some stage.  Better to trade a player a year earlier than lose then as a UFA.

I don't think we should trade anyone until we win a championship.

Higgins is an elite talent still getting paid on his rookie deal. We need to take full advantage of that while we can instead of trading him for a pick that might be a bust.
Reply/Quote
I'd be comfortable taking Pierce in the 2nd round.

First round, no.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 11:44 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I've watched that kid and he is a great talent.  He reminds me a lot of Tee Higgins, has great ability to high point the football.

Never know how he'll pan out but he might just be one of those players you look back on in a couple years and say "we took Player X and could've had Alec Pierce"!

This board would go absolutely bonkers if we took him in the RD1.  I wouldn't hate it cause I've watched him a lot and don't think he'll be a bust like John Ross.  That said, if you could get him later it would be better.

A much more similar type of WR to John Ross might be Jahan Dotson.

About the same size as Ross, also fast and shifty.
Concerns around his lack of size and physicality.
Dotson found success in college by getting pretty open with his speed and agility.
Dotson looks to have better hands than Ross, which would help him succeed in the NFL.
He's not quite as fast as Ross was/is though.
Dotson has been mostly healthy in college, but he did suffer a broken leg back in high school.

TDN compares Dotson to Diontae Johnson while NFL.com compares him to Emmanuel Sanders.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 11:22 AM)Go Cards Wrote: You're correct and I erred on percentage comment but still it does not change the fact that the Bengals don't need a #1 per there is not enough balls to go around. In my opinion Bengals should not throw a first round draft pick at that position this year. Nor does it change that only half of the #1's are not selected in 1st round. Most WR's selected in the 6th, 7th, and as UDFA's were not even expected to make the team let alone be a #1 on the team as well and only muddy the percentages imo.  

Bengals already feature two #1's in Chase and Higgins which is what these percentages show, and a great complimentary receiver in Boyd. 

Expect to see the Bengals run much more this season as well with the O-line additions whose strengths are run blocking. Which in turn will leave less passes to catch yet set up potentially more long balls. 

Once again the Bengals are in search of a #4 WR this year who is willing to play ST's and contribute on 20 something catches most likely. 

Yet you make excellent points but I think it would cause dissension amongst the ranks to add a great WR now. Think Bengals need to go best G, C, CB, TE, or S available with pick. Don't think there will be a worthy TE here though.
Don't think a RB should be selected this high either  but would like that more than a WR personally.   Two great backs could be way more useful presently and then Bengals would be loaded at WR and RB. 

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am not advocating for a WR in the 1st this year. They absolutely have other needs that should be addressed. My only point was that 1st round was a more likely way to get a high level WR, doubly so if your 2nd round pick is 63rd.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
WRs are a dime a dozen and we have three pretty damn good receivers right now when we also have other needs.

Why would we waste a pick to cover a need we MIGHT have in the future when we're in a position to add players that can make a difference for us now?

Even if we end up having a need if Boyd leaves, would Pierce really be that much better than anyone we could pick up in free agency or next year's draft that would justify passing on a need for us this season?
Reply/Quote
What happened to the all pro QB makes the WRs better? I thought Brady made all his receivers better? Is Joe not good enough?
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 02:56 PM)spazz70 Wrote: What happened to the all pro QB makes the WRs better?  I thought Brady made all his receivers better?  Is Joe not good enough?

Exactly what I'm saying, and some receivers might be superstars that just make the QB-WR combo unstoppable, but is Pierce really that guy? Would we need him to be?
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 08:12 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Would you be comfortable with the Bengals taking a WR with their first round pick? I really like this Alec Pierce from UC.He’s a big receiver that is very athletic,and he’s fast.(4.41 forty)I know they have other needs,but this would sure add to Joe Burrow’s arsenal.I wouldn’t be disappointed if they selected him in the first round,if he’s still There.The Bengals just had him in for a visit.

They are looking at Pierce for possibly round 2 or 3 not round 1.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 08:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: One can hope, or hope that Tee actually tells the agent he wants to be here and to "make it happen".  Of course, this will sound like me being a MASSIVE homer, but if I am higgins and the Bengals offer me a 5 year, $50 million extension after year three, I jump all over it because I have Joe Burrow throwing me the ball and Ja'Marr Chase drawing coverage.  I don't think there is a better spot for a WR in the NFL...or world.  

Dude you’re on another plant if you think Higgins will or should sign for $10m per. He worked his whole life, has God given talent, it’s time to cash that in and set his family tree up for many decades. He’s earned it. I can understand taking $2-$3M less than his market rate, but he’s getting $20M bare min.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 02:24 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: WRs are a dime a dozen and we have three pretty damn good receivers right now when we also have other needs.

Why would we waste a pick to cover a need we MIGHT have in the future when we're in a position to add players that can make a difference for us now?

Even if we end up having a need if Boyd leaves, would Pierce really be that much better than anyone we could pick up in free agency or next year's draft that would justify passing on a need for us this season?

I should get this out ahead of time because I realized I didn't earlier so it looked like I was arguing for taking a WR in the 1st (I am not)... but if we're being honest and looking at the numbers, a quality 4th WR would actually make a big difference for the Bengals now.

In 2021 Mike Thomas/Trent Taylor/Auden Tate/Trenton Irwin/Stanley Morgan Jr combined to play 508 offensive snaps.
In 2021 Chase/Higgins/Boyd played 939, 710, and 807 offensive snaps, respectively.

So that's a whole slew of pratice squad type guys combining for significant playing time. If you get yourself a quality 4th WR, they would actually be able to receive a pretty serious amount of snaps. That's also not including hopefully reducing Drew Sample's 459 offensive snaps he saw in 2021 since he'll be needed less to block with an improved OL, which could then go towards more snaps with a 4th WR.

It's not a stretch to say a good #4 WR could easily get 700 offensive snaps even with Chase/Higgins/Boyd on the team if the 2021 offense is anything to go by as how they'll attack 2022... and keeping Thomas/Taylor/Tate/Irwin/Morgan/Sample OFF the field would also be a plus for the passing game too. 700 snaps is ~2/3rds of an entire 17 game season worth of snaps.

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 01:15 PM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: You can’t keep everyone when you have a championship roster.  So, you will need to pick and choose at some stage.  Better to trade a player a year earlier than lose then as a UFA.

Better to have that player for 2021 because he makes your team better and gives you a better chance of winning the Super Bowl.

Who cares if he leaves and they get nothing if we're still busy reminiscing on the parade downtown.

Reply/Quote