Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Alec Pierce visit
(04-12-2022, 08:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: One can hope, or hope that Tee actually tells the agent he wants to be here and to "make it happen".  Of course, this will sound like me being a MASSIVE homer, but if I am higgins and the Bengals offer me a 5 year, $50 million extension after year three, I jump all over it because I have Joe Burrow throwing me the ball and Ja'Marr Chase drawing coverage.  I don't think there is a better spot for a WR in the NFL...or world.  

I would love if that happens, but I think you and many other Bengals fans are going to be shocked here in a couple of years. If Tee stays healthy and plays like he did last year (1300-1400 yards, 6-8 TDs) then he is going to command much more than $10m per year. Christian Kirk just received $18m per year. The Jaguars had to overpay because they are the Jags, but Tee will be in that range.

This team has too much talent to keep. Many Bengals fans think that Burrow will take a discount, but I don’t see that either. I think he could be the highest paid QB in the league as soon as next offseason. Chase will be the highest paid WR in the league in a few years if he keeps his play up, too. This team will look significantly different pretty soon. I hope you’re right, though.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 09:20 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I would love if that happens, but I think you and many other Bengals fans are going to be shocked here in a couple of years. If Tee stays healthy and plays like he did last year (1300-1400 yards, 6-8 TDs) then he is going to command much more than $10m per year. Christian Kirk just received $18m per year. The Jaguars had to overpay because they are the Jags, but Tee will be in that range.

This team has too much talent to keep. Many Bengals fans think that Burrow will take a discount, but I don’t see that either. I think he could be the highest paid QB in the league as soon as next offseason. Chase will be the highest paid WR in the league in a few years if he keeps his play up, too. This team will look significantly different pretty soon. I hope you’re right, though.

That's why this year and next year it's so important to go all-in as much as possible. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 09:23 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's why this year and next year it's so important to go all-in as much as possible. 

Exactly

It's very hard to keep the window open for long.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 09:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I should get this out ahead of time because I realized I didn't earlier so it looked like I was arguing for taking a WR in the 1st (I am not)... but if we're being honest and looking at the numbers, a quality 4th WR would actually make a big difference for the Bengals now.

In 2021 Mike Thomas/Trent Taylor/Auden Tate/Trenton Irwin/Stanley Morgan Jr combined to play 508 offensive snaps.
In 2021 Chase/Higgins/Boyd played 939, 710, and 807 offensive snaps, respectively.

So that's a whole slew of pratice squad type guys combining for significant playing time. If you get yourself a quality 4th WR, they would actually be able to receive a pretty serious amount of snaps. That's also not including hopefully reducing Drew Sample's 459 offensive snaps he saw in 2021 since he'll be needed less to block with an improved OL, which could then go towards more snaps with a 4th WR.

It's not a stretch to say a good #4 WR could easily get 700 offensive snaps even with Chase/Higgins/Boyd on the team if the 2021 offense is anything to go by as how they'll attack 2022... and keeping Thomas/Taylor/Tate/Irwin/Morgan/Sample OFF the field would also be a plus for the passing game too. 700 snaps is ~2/3rds of an entire 17 game season worth of snaps.

Good points and a quality 4th WR could make a big difference but I still don't think we should spent a first rounder on one (I know you're saying that you're not arguing for that) or even a pick anywhere in the early rounds because, like I said, we can get a free agent WR to fill the role of our 4th WR if we need one.

If it comes down to it, bring AJ back because, even if he's lost a step, he could still be better than any of the players that we'd have for our fourth WR. Sign him to a one or two-year deal to chase a ring and let him finish what he came here to do.
Reply/Quote
Alec Pierce will be on the board when we pick in the 3rd.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 10:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Good points and a quality 4th WR could make a big difference but I still don't think we should spent a first rounder on one (I know you're saying that you're not arguing for that) or even a pick anywhere in the early rounds because, like I said, we can get a free agent WR to fill the role of our 4th WR if we need one.

If it comes down to it, bring AJ back because, even if he's lost a step, he could still be better than any of the players that we'd have for our fourth WR. Sign him to a one or two-year deal to chase a ring and let him finish what he came here to do.

If we're going to sign a FA short term 4th WR, give me Emmanuel Sanders. I think AJ and the Bengals are kind of done and best for both parties if not revisited.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 10:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Alec Pierce will be on the board when we pick in the 3rd.

Bottom of the 3rd round/early 4th is likely his floor. Seems bold to all but guarantee he'll be there. 
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 11:27 PM)TheFan Wrote: Bottom of the 3rd round/early 4th is likely his floor. Seems bold to all but guarantee he'll be there. 

Less bold than folks saying he'll be gone by our 2nd. Don't you agree?

What do you consider his Ceiling?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 11:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If we're going to sign a FA short term 4th WR, give me Emmanuel Sanders. I think AJ and the Bengals are kind of done and best for both parties if not revisited.

Emmanuel's a year older than AJ and I think he's pretty much done. He fell off in the second half of the year last season and I also don't like how short he is.

I don't know AJ feels about us or anything but I just think AJ can offer more.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 11:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Emmanuel's a year older than AJ and I think he's pretty much done. He fell off in the second half of the year last season and I also don't like how short he is.

I don't know AJ feels about us or anything but I just think AJ can offer more.

AJ will require too much money to afford

He did just put up 800+ yards with a great yards per reception
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 12:15 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: AJ will require too much money to afford

He did just put up 800+ yards with a great yards per reception

He's worth 40(?) million, which I understand isn't all that much comparatively speaking, but he might be content with whatever we can offer him while also having the ability to win a ring.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 11:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Less bold than folks saying he'll be gone by our 2nd. Don't you agree?

What do you consider his Ceiling?

I would genuinely be surprised if he's there by our 3rd round pick but I think it would be a good get for us if he is. I watched pretty much all of UCs games and he had a lot of yards left on the field due to Ridders accuracy issues at times. 

His production was pretty good but his testing I think will bump him up higher than he probably should be. I don't think we should take him with our 2nd round pick though. 
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 12:34 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: He's worth 40(?) million, which I understand isn't all that much comparatively speaking, but he might be content with whatever we can offer him while also having the ability to win a ring.

Maybe 4 million but certainly not even close to 40. 
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 01:01 AM)TheFan Wrote: Maybe 4 million but certainly not even close to 40. 

4 million? A 800 yard receiver is worth as much as a mid tier guard?
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 01:01 AM)TheFan Wrote: Maybe 4 million but certainly not even close to 40. 

You seriously think he only has 4 million?

Celebrity Net Worth:
Quote:A.J. Green is an American professional football player who has a net worth of $40 million. 

This one only says 18, which is still a lot.

This one says 33.5
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 01:04 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: 4 million? A 800 yard receiver is worth as much as a mid tier guard?

I wasn't saying his worth on the football field, I meant his actual worth in money because he might not be chasing a big contract and might come here on a discount to get a ring.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 01:09 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I wasn't saying his worth on the football field, I meant his actual worth in money because he might not be chasing a big contract and might come here on a discount to get a ring.

Ah

Even a discounted Green is going to cost a good chunk of change
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Fans complain about the Bengals not going "all in" to win a championship and once we get a championship roster in place they are saying we should trade away our star players for "the future".

Sorry that I see the reality of over $60 million dollars of the cap space being used at the WR position as unrealistic.  

And you did see what I also wrote about hoping Tee takes a long term deal and understands what a great position he is in with Burrow throwing the ball and Chase drawing coverage, right?   But that he also has the same agent as Bates???
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 08:52 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Dude you’re on another plant if you think Higgins will or should sign for $10m per. He worked his whole life, has God given talent, it’s time to cash that in and set his family tree up for many decades. He’s earned it. I can understand taking $2-$3M less than his market rate, but he’s getting $20M bare min.

Probably right, but it largely will depend on his performance and health this season.  Still, you get the point that a longer term deal in a really good position is worth more than going somewhere like the Jets, getting $18 million per over 4 years only to be released after two dismal years because the team is inept and dysfunctional.  It happens more than you realize when top FA go to poor teams that are constantly "starting over".  

Here he has Burrow to throw to him, and Chase to draw coverage.  I don't believe he is tracking to $20 million per year, but who knows exactly how large the next cap is going to be when the gambling dollars are included.  
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 01:15 PM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: You can’t keep everyone when you have a championship roster.  So, you will need to pick and choose at some stage.  Better to trade a player a year earlier than lose then as a UFA.

This.  We all love Higgins, but the fact is there are more NFL ready WRs coming out of college now than ever before.  Rookies making a huge impact.  It would probably be one of the easier positions to replace.  Especially if he has another really good year and teams like the Jags are overpaying guys like Kirk.

There is NO DOUBT Burrow and Chase are cornerstones.  Higgins is great but I can't see spending that much on one position group with all the talent coming out in the draft.

Look at it this way:  You get Pierce in Rd 2, and you get a 2nd round pick for Higgins after this year (as he only has one more cheap year on his rookie deal, but that is still one year).  You now have roughly $15-18 million more dollars of cap space and another pick to use on extending the likes of Wilson, Bell, Chido, Jonah, etc.  It isn't a small chunk.

When the Pats were on their domination streak (yes, a lot of it was Brady) they rarely paid super high FA dollars to players they developed.  They just avoided massive holes on their roster by stockpiling picks and having cap space to plug holes with solid veterans.  

People are reading this like I want Higgins gone for a guy like Pierce and that couldn't be further from the truth, but I also know the realities of having that much money in one position group could create holes in another spot on the roster.  
Reply/Quote