Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Alec Pierce visit
(04-11-2022, 09:46 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I don't think so. Our 1st rd pick shouldn't be the 4th player at his position.

That’s kind of hard to avoid picking at 31. About the only position we’d realistically have a shot at the top player is probably TE. If we go OL/DL/DB, etc we’re getting the 4th or 5th best prospect at that position.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 10:03 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: Not at #31 I wouldn't I think we have other areas of need here to address depth. I really see us adding a WR @ 4/5 rd, and adding an additional with 1 of our 7th rounders.

say:

4) Erik Ezukanma- 6'1 210 (Texas Tech)

7) Josh Johnson- 5'11 185 (Tulsa)

Our Roster as I see it:

1) Chase
2) Higgins
3) Boyd
4) Taylor- PR/ST- I think he's fine as a #5 guy on roster.
5) draft pick- I'd like this to be an early day 3 pick.
6) Morgan/Thomas- I think one of these gets cut.

Tiger

I like Johnson as a prosect an actually reminds me of another version with the same last name that played here. Very explosive player! The wideout class for our current roster is right where we need it to be. To those wanting an offensive center wait a year and you'll have a buffet.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 09:36 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I like him in the second round as an upscale prospect that will be around the league barring injuries for quite sometime. The catch radius is ridiculous and he tested much better than even the "experts" thought. I mocked him there in "Its Yours" . He reminds me of a bigger faster Tyler Boyd no pun intended .

Maybe I'm just not smart, but what pun did you not intend?
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 10:14 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Maybe I'm just not smart, but what pun did you not intend?

AP is a bigger, faster version of TB. You really don't get the pun? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 10:14 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Maybe I'm just not smart, but what pun did you not intend?

Tiger

In no way would I want to replace Tyler Boyd this season. I do think that a middle rounder with return capabilities would be the benefit right now to help the team immediately. The two things that I always think about with this organization are production and money. Its a staple of the "Family" in how they do deals and the culture of building "IT". Its totally new in my opinion because under the Marvin regime it was more about identity. Now its more about fit/ culture & projection. ( Love it) It means that they want to be on a high level of competition year in & year out moving forward. I've said this about Katie before because I think that she's going to be a revolutionary for women aspiring to be in sports management at a high level. 
Reply/Quote
[Image: ryan-reynolds-confused.gif]

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 10:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s kind of hard to avoid picking at 31. About the only position we’d realistically have a shot at the top player is probably TE. If we go OL/DL/DB, etc we’re getting the 4th or 5th best prospect at that position.

That’s a good point.I never really thought of it that way,but I agree.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 09:47 PM)Go Cards Wrote: To those who feel we should spend a 1st round pick on a WR I would like to point out that out of the top 15 WR's in NFL last season only 3 were taken in the 1st round, Jefferson, Lamb, and Chase. Here are some examples of what those taken after the 1st round did

Player/Team...............................REC/YARDS....TD's.........Round/selection

DeVante Adams "GB".................123 - 1,553 - 11.............2nd - 53rd
Cooper Kupp "Rams"...................145 - 1,947 - 16.............3rd - 69th
Deebo Samuel "49ers".................77 - 1,405 -  6..............2nd - 36th
Stephon Diggs "Bills" .................103 - 1,225 - 10............5th - 146th
Tyreek Hill "KC"..........................111 - 1,239 -  9.............5th - 165th
Hunter Renfrow "LV"...................103 - 1,038 -  9.............5th - 149th
DK Metcalf "Seattle"......................75 -  967 -  12.............2nd - 64th
Tee Higgins "Bengals"...................74 - 1,091 -  6.............2nd - 33rd
Tyler Lockett "Seattle" ..................73 - 1,175 -  8.............3rd - 69th
Chris Godwin "TB".........................98 - 1,103 -  5.............3rd - 84th
Terry McLaurin "Wash"...................77 - 1,053 -  5.............3rd - 76th
Darnell Mooney "Bears"..................81 - 1,055 -  4.............5th - 173rd
Amon-ra St Brown "Lions"..............90 -   912 -  5..............4th - 112th

These all rank among the top WR's in the NFL and the Bengals are looking for a #4 WR that will not get many touches unless an injury occurs.
Will also add that the Bengals have had luck before in late rounds with TJ Houshmanzadeh and Marvin Jones as well

True that you can get WRs in other rounds but I think the whole 3/15 in 2021 was more the exception than the rule as far as 1st round WRs being represented...

In 2020 5 of the top 10 WRs were 1st rounders.
In 2019 5 of the top 10 WRs were 1st rounders.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 10:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s kind of hard to avoid picking at 31. About the only position we’d realistically have a shot at the top player is probably TE. If we go OL/DL/DB, etc we’re getting the 4th or 5th best prospect at that position.

You're mostly right, but I think we could find someone that might push for playing time. Maybe the C from Iowa? Sorry for some reason my mind went blank on his name.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 10:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s kind of hard to avoid picking at 31. About the only position we’d realistically have a shot at the top player is probably TE. If we go OL/DL/DB, etc we’re getting the 4th or 5th best prospect at that position.

I pretty sure he meant on this team. 

Chase
Higgins
Boyd 
Pierce
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 12:24 AM)sandwedge Wrote: You're mostly right, but I think we could find someone that might push for playing time. Maybe the C from Iowa? Sorry for some reason my mind went blank on his name.

Linderbaum. It will be interesting to see if he’s still there at 31. Teams might be afraid of the short arms, but he just killed it at his Pro Day, and his RAS is elite.

Reply/Quote

True but a 4th or 5th draft prospect at his position is many times a starter in the NFL. Plus it will be the same at WR, Pierce will not be in the top few WR's taken either, CBS has him at the 16th best WR and ranks him at 133 overall. Not saying that's gospel, but still. 

A WR is not going to start for the Bengals unless somebody is traded or injured as well. Our #3 did not even have a dropped pass until his 21st game of the season and that was his only drop on the year. Just don't see it as a big need this year, but next year I can maybe see an early WR taken.

Not saying I don't hope the Bengals add a great WR, but think 31 is too early to jump with other needs glaring imho. Think there possibly will be a good WR vet released in camp that may want to chase a ring on a one year team friendly deal that would work perfectly too. Yet do think the Bengals draft a WR and maybe two if they gamble take them late in the draft. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 12:20 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: True that you can get WRs in other rounds but I think the whole 3/15 in 2021 was more the exception than the rule as far as 1st round WRs being represented...

In 2020 5 of the top 10 WRs were 1st rounders.
In 2019 5 of the top 10 WRs were 1st rounders.

So by your #'s half of top WR's were not 1st round picks. Which says a team has just as good of chance waiting and still get a top 10 WR, wouldn't you agree ? Of course last year maybe because WR's are more NFL ready than ever before too, not sure. 

Who are the 2 from previous seasons who fell out this year, were they injured or just surpassed by lower draft picks ?  I really don't know just curious. 

Seems to still support my argument though and the Bengals are not searching for a #1 WR which all these listed were ones in the league. 

Chase is going to get the targets in this town. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 01:04 AM)Go Cards Wrote: So by your #'s half of top WR's were not 1st round picks. Which says a team has just as good of chance waiting and still get a top 10 WR, wouldn't you agree ? Of course last year maybe because WR's are more NFL ready than ever before too, not sure. 

Who are the 2 from previous seasons who fell out this year, were they injured or just surpassed by lower draft picks ?  I really don't know just curious. 

Seems to still support my argument though and the Bengals are not searching for a #1 WR which all these listed were ones in the league. 

Chase is going to get the targets in this town. 

No. Because that's 1 round alone vs 6 rounds accumulated (plus UDFAs).

There were 5 1st round and 31 2nd-7th round WRs in the 2021 draft.
There were 6 1st round and 29 2nd-7th round WRs in the 2020 draft.
There were 2 1st round and 26 2nd-7th round WRs in the 2019 draft.
There were 2 1st round and 31 2nd-7th round WRs in the 2018 draft.
There were 3 1st round and 29 2nd-7th round WRs in the 2017 draft.

So that's 5/10 coming from a pool of ~3.5 per year and 5/10 coming from a pool of ~29 per year. The Bengals aren't able to draft a WR in every single round 2-7 so that's not just as good of a chance, that's about 1/8th the chance more or less.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
A wide receiver in the first would be insane.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 08:12 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Would you be comfortable with the Bengals taking a WR with their first round pick? I really like this Alec Pierce from UC.He’s a big receiver that is very athletic,and he’s fast.(4.41 forty)I know they have other needs,but this would sure add to Joe Burrow’s arsenal.I wouldn’t be disappointed if they selected him in the first round,if he’s still There.The Bengals just had him in for a visit.

So many mocks have Pierce around in the late 2nd round and that would shock me.  I don't think the Bengals take him at 31, but maybe if they trade back and get an additional 3rd rounder they snag him early second.  I think it all boils down to the CBs available at 31, or if a stud edge or 3T falls to 31, but those cases are pretty unlikely.  

I think "trade back" is going to be the name on the Jersey they are prepping to hold up on day 1, because there are bound to be teams that want to jump the Lions (who may take a QB) and take one of the remaining QBs.  I wonder if the Bengals would make that trade with the steelers?

I kind of want Linderbaum to be there and take him one pick ahead of the Lions, like they did with the Billy Price/Frank Ragnow switch years ago.

If they really want him, they might try to trade up two spots to make sure he doesn't fall to the Bengals.  

Damn, so many interesting things can happen this year and it is going to be a LONG day 1!!!!  
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 08:21 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I think the Bengals are in a good spot after free agency to draft the best player available in round one with some exceptions.  Those exceptions obviously being QB and WR.

I'm surprised to hear you and Bfine not wanting a WR at all.  Maybe Bfine doesn't like Pierce?  I find it very unlikely they do go WR in round 1, but they need to be prepared for injuries at that position and depth is paper thin right now.  

When you look at the contracts top WRs are getting now, a WR at 31 with the rookie wage scale and rights for 5 years is pretty enticing.  Tee Higgins is up for a new contract after this upcoming season.  He only has a four year deal being a second rounder.  It might be smart to start preparing for life without him (he has the same agent as Bates...we know how that goes), as well as groom a Boyd replacement. 

That is one of the hidden talents of Pierce is that he can play both spots, slot or outside.  

Another thing I like about him is he came from a run-first offense, and his stats aren't inflated, but he was a reliable big-play WR when given shots. 

I just think if there is a CB that is ranked very similar on the Bengals board, they are going that way...but I really think those rated CBs will be long gone.  
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 08:25 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he should be available in the 2nd

I would be both shocked and thrilled.  
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 09:04 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I don't believe a WR should be ruled out at #31, but not sure he'd be worth that selection.

Exactly.  If a guy like Olave fell that far (not likely at all) you jump all over him.  So it isn't "ruled out" as you put it, just unlikely.  

I think as far as Pierce goes that he will be drafted much higher than folks here are giving him credit for.  
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 08:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If we had 0 WRs on the team; I'd not be happy taking Pierce at 31

A run-first offense with limited targets diminished his stats somewhat, but look at his athleticism relative to his size:

https://www.si.com/college/cincinnati/football/2022-nfl-combine-check-in-desmond-ridder-and-alec-pierce-notch-eye-popping-testing-results

I think Pierce very well could go in the first round or at the very least, early second round.  
Reply/Quote