Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alex Erickson
(08-14-2016, 03:45 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Totally disagree. He is a lock. We have 3 WRs with NFL experience. Tate is one of them. He was out there with the starters for a reason. And made plays. He isnt going anywhere.

Tate hasn't done shit as a receiver, and I think that's why they were playing him with the starters- to see if he could offer anything as a receiver because he's not doing shit for us as a returner.

We have too much talent at receiver to keep Tate.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 02:29 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's still way early, need to see a bunch more. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if one or even two of the noobs make the roster , Erickson included.

In my mind Tate's spot on this team is in no way a lock.

Tate got a lot of snaps and he caught most everything for a change. He knows this could be it. I think there are better returners, but he does have experience which I suspect will allow him to keep a spot on the 53.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 09:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Tate hasn't done shit as a receiver, and I think that's why they were playing him with the starters- to see if he could offer anything as a receiver because he's not doing shit for us as a returner.

We have too much talent at receiver to keep Tate.

We dont have too much talent. We have a bunch of unproven undrafted free agents. I'm not trying to make Tate out as some great WR. He had 3 targets last year caught 2 of them and one was a highlight reel play. He has been stuck behind Marvin Jones and Sanu his entire time here. 

He doesnt turn the ball over and he is durable. He has been with Dalton going into year five. Like I said. We have 3 receivers with a decent amount of NFL experience. And LaFell is new to the team. 

Alford and kumerow could have got snatched off the practice squad last year. Didnt happen. Erickson beat some guys who wont be in the NFL here soon. Russell and Simonise are projects. Its laughable to say a boatload of undrafted guys means we have too much talent to keep one of the few with actual experience.

If Wright is really back to form and we only keep 6 WRs none of the UDFAs make it. AJ, Boyd, LaFell, Core, Tate, Wright
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 10:52 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We dont have too much talent. We have a bunch of unproven undrafted free agents. 

Its laughable to say a boatload of undrafted guys means we have too much talent to keep one of the few with actual experience.

Rep.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 10:52 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We dont have too much talent. We have a bunch of unproven undrafted free agents. I'm not trying to make Tate out as some great WR. He had 3 targets last year caught 2 of them and one was a highlight reel play. He has been stuck behind Marvin Jones and Sanu his entire time here. 

He doesnt turn the ball over and he is durable. He has been with Dalton going into year five. Like I said. We have 3 receivers with a decent amount of NFL experience. And LaFell is new to the team. 

Alford and kumerow could have got snatched off the practice squad last year. Didnt happen. Erickson beat some guys who wont be in the NFL here soon. Russell and Simonise are projects. Its laughable to say a boatload of undrafted guys means we have too much talent to keep one of the few with actual experience.

If Wright is really back to form and we only keep 6 WRs none of the UDFAs make it. AJ, Boyd, LaFell, Core, Tate, Wright

How many receivers will we keep?  6?  

AJ, LaFell, Boyd, Core, Erickson (may not be an explosive deep threat, but he gets open, is reliable, makes contested catches, and can go across the middle and hang onto the ball after taking a hit, and not to mention his return ability), and then one more, and you'd rather keep Tate over Simonise or Alford or even Kumerow?!  Sure, the young guys haven't shown much yet, but that's what the preseason is for, and, from just one game, it looks like they're going to make a good case.

Also, Tate would only offer something as a returner and that's what you're saying is good to have someone with experience, but punt returner is the EXACT SAME IN COLLEGE AS IT IS IN THE NFL!  Why would we keep Tate when he offers nothing else and other players do?

Hell, he's not even back there when Jones hasn't been on the field too long and isn't too tired to return, so why keep a part-time punt returner who sucks and offers nothing else?
Reply/Quote
If you regard AJ, LaFell and Tate as locks (please not Tate), then the other three slots are where there is a competition. Boyd and Core are also likely locks as they were actually selected in draft rounds. So that leaves Erickson, Kumerow and Alford fighting for one spot. And with Alford getting dinged up plus Erickson making explosive plays Erickson may have the edge.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 01:49 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: How many receivers will we keep?  6?  

AJ, LaFell, Boyd, Core, Erickson (may not be an explosive deep threat, but he gets open, is reliable, makes contested catches, and can go across the middle and hang onto the ball after taking a hit, and not to mention his return ability), and then one more, and you'd rather keep Tate over Simonise or Alford or even Kumerow?!  Sure, the young guys haven't shown much yet, but that's what the preseason is for, and, from just one game, it looks like they're going to make a good case.

Also, Tate would only offer something as a returner and that's what you're saying is good to have someone with experience, but punt returner is the EXACT SAME IN COLLEGE AS IT IS IN THE NFL!  Why would we keep Tate when he offers nothing else and other players do?

Hell, he's not even back there when Jones hasn't been on the field too long and isn't too tired to return, so why keep a part-time punt returner who sucks and offers nothing else?

Not many quotes from Marvin after the game...

But there was this from Marvin "I thought Brandon Tate did a nice job in there tonight, so it's good."

He doesn't cost us games with rookie mistakes. He has played against NFL DBs in real games. He knows the offense. He has years of experience with Dalton.

You know how Marvin is with his veteran preference. Tate isn't going anywhere. If Wright is actually back to where he was health wise he isn't going anywhere either.

I want to say we have kept 7 WRs under Marvin once. So Erickson could make it as the 7th. Depending on the health of Kroft and Eifert. But when Burfict comes back that 7th WR would probably be the first to go.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 02:35 AM)Joelist Wrote: If you regard AJ, LaFell and Tate as locks (please not Tate), then the other three slots are where there is a competition. Boyd and Core are also likely locks as they were actually selected in draft rounds. So that leaves Erickson, Kumerow and Alford fighting for one spot. And with Alford getting dinged up plus Erickson making explosive plays Erickson may have the edge.

The way Hobson is talking about Wright and how they viewed him as a potential starter before the injury. I wouldn't count him out.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 12:50 PM)Vanilla Heat Wrote: Dane Sanzenbacher part 2.

Possibly. Of course what we see on the field is only a fraction of what the coaches know from training camp and such. But I will agree that a lot of us got hyped about Dane Sanzenbacher and it never really materialized. 

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 10:52 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We dont have too much talent. We have a bunch of unproven undrafted free agents. I'm not trying to make Tate out as some great WR. He had 3 targets last year caught 2 of them and one was a highlight reel play. He has been stuck behind Marvin Jones and Sanu his entire time here. 

This whole experience angle is a bit tired.  Look at what some rookie WRs have done in the league when given a shot.  No one is holding rookie status over Boyd, because he caught a ton of balls at pitt.  Tate does not generate separation.  Period.  He does not get open.  He had a chance in the playoff game against the Colts and did nothing.  Rex Burkhead was a better option.  I don't "hate Tate", but to say he hasn't had chances and he has more experience is not accurate.  

Erickson had a lot of success working the middle of the field in his time at Wisconsin.  He isn't learning a new position. He knows how to generate separation and how to work the soft spots of the zone coverages.   Alford has blazing speed.  One missed tackle on a hitch route and he is gone.  Tate offers none of those things. 

Tate is solid, but very average.  We could have much, much more in Erickson and Alford.  It's time to move on.  
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 03:13 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Not many quotes from Marvin after the game...

But there was this from Marvin "I thought Brandon Tate did a nice job in there tonight, so it's good."

He doesn't cost us games with rookie mistakes. He has played against NFL DBs in real games. He knows the offense. He has years of experience with Dalton.

You know how Marvin is with his veteran preference. Tate isn't going anywhere. If Wright is actually back to where he was health wise he isn't going anywhere either.

I want to say we have kept 7 WRs under Marvin once. So Erickson could make it as the 7th. Depending on the health of Kroft and Eifert. But when Burfict comes back that 7th WR would probably be the first to go.

[Image: hanging-captured.gif]

Hopefully that's just coach-talk because we have plenty of veteran presence and we don't need him for anything.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 03:13 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Not many quotes from Marvin after the game...

Not only was that his reaction about Tate, did you notice how Marvin almost seemed apathetic to the questions about Erickson? I got the feeling from his  body language that he isn't overly impressed and maybe isn't confident that ericksons night Friday isn't an aberration. Now I think what he did Friday was great and I think he's shown some intangibles that could make him a solid presence at WR and punt returner, but the more I think about it the more I fear you may be right about his eventual fate.

It's going to be tough sledding to make this squad at WR with the likes of Green, lafell, Boyd, core (whom I think are locks), wright and Tate (whom I think are very close to locks)). Like it or not, if Tate plays the rest of the preseason like he did Friday night, he's making this team. I'd say the wildcard is wright. Is he truly healthy? If so you have 6 WR's right there. It'll be interesting to see if they move Erickson up the depth chart at all and give him some time with the ones just to see what they've got. I'm not so sure it's going to happen though. 

Reply/Quote
I'm resigned to the understanding that every team needs a guy like Tate. He's pretty much average (or at least we must concede near average) at every aspect of the WR position. Nothing amazing but nothing terrible that loses us games or kills our offense. After one preseason game against no starters, to think that Ericson has a shot to usurp Tate makes me laugh a little. Was I impressed by Ericson? Sure, heckuva game by the dude. Being a rabid OSU fan, I saw plenty of him in the Big 10. He's a scrappy, heady guy and he's got a future in the NFL for sure, IMO. But not a chance he flat out replaces Tate this season. Best case scenario for us, he goes to PS and doesn't get plucked, and we can reevaluate next year. And that's regardless of what he does the next three preseason games. Again, all of this conjecture is IMHO...
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 10:15 AM)jonesy84 Wrote: I'm resigned to the understanding that every team needs a guy like Tate.  He's pretty much average (or at least we must concede near average) at every aspect of the WR position.  Nothing amazing but nothing terrible that loses us games or kills our offense.  After one preseason game against no starters, to think that Ericson has a shot to usurp Tate makes me laugh a little.  Was I impressed by Ericson?  Sure, heckuva game by the dude.  Being a rabid OSU fan, I saw plenty of him in the Big 10.  He's a scrappy, heady guy and he's got a future in the NFL for sure, IMO.  But not a chance he flat out replaces Tate this season.  Best case scenario for us, he goes to PS and doesn't get plucked, and we can reevaluate next year.  And that's regardless of what he does the next three preseason games.  Again, all of this conjecture is IMHO...

The further we get from Friday's game the more I'm coming around to this line of thinking as well. I think Erickson is probably a long shot. I agree he more than likely will not be flat out replacing Tate, as I think Tate is here to stay. Basically I think it's Tate and no Erickson, or its Tate AND Erickson. There is no scenario barring injury that I can see Tate getting cut.

That being said,if he keeps it up this preseason, I will be a tad sick to my stomach if and when Erickson gets plucked from our PS.

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 12:53 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He would have to get 2TDs in pretty much all of the preseason games to have a shot. They should throw him in with the 1's in the next game and see what happens lol. Put him back in his place.

While it was an honorable and valiant effort... a 3 yard TD and a punt return against horrid 3/4th string coverage doesn't earn you a spot on this team.

I love the guy. He is buying into the Bengal way, and he has shown he is a hard worker, but he will have to really turn some heads to make this roster.

True but like you said I think he earned a spot to play a little sooner next game... just to see how he does
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 09:35 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: [Image: hanging-captured.gif]

Hopefully that's just coach-talk because we have plenty of veteran presence and we don't need him for anything.

So after AJ Green  there is Lafell  Zero years as a Bengal..  Tate..  5 years a Bengal.  and rookies..

where is this Veteran Presence at WR you speak of?

don't let your personal bais get in the way of whats best for the team.

Tate looked fine out there as a WR... and if Erickson makes the team as a returner then maybe we get to see tate on the field more on sundays.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 10:25 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: The further we get from Friday's game the more I'm coming around to this line of thinking as well. I think Erickson is probably a long shot. I agree he more than likely will not be flat out replacing Tate, as I think Tate is here to stay. Basically I think it's Tate and no Erickson, or its Tate AND Erickson. There is no scenario barring injury that I can see Tate getting cut.

That being said,if he keeps it up this preseason, I will be a tad sick to my stomach if and when Erickson gets plucked from our PS.

If he keeps this up, or even close to it, he'll go to our PS, and then disappear from it just as quickly I'm afraid.  Nervous
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 01:49 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: How many receivers will we keep?  6?  

Jones is listed as #1 punt returner. Tate is listed as #1 Kick returner. What's the #1 thing that has to happen when your team receives a kick or punt??? Before anything else, you have to maintain possession of the football. Tate is automatic. He's not going to be cut.
Reply/Quote
The way it seems to be is that Tate could probably muff three punts, Erickson could run three more back, and Tate would still wind up making the team. We can't seem to get rid of the dude.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 10:49 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Jones is listed as #1 punt returner. Tate is listed as #1 Kick returner. What's the #1 thing that has to happen when your team receives a kick or punt??? Before anything else, you have to maintain possession of the football. Tate is automatic. He's not going to be cut.

This is what I keep thinking of.  I remember back about 15 years ago, during the dark ages.  I was just so demoralized with how often we would be returning a kickoff (which happened A LOT back then LOL) or a punt and how often the returner would fumble.  It was so depressing.  To the point that I wanted the returner to just call a fair catch EVERY time.  At least now we keep possession and sometimes even get 6-8 yards on a punt return.  But we almost always still have the ball when the play is over.  There's something to be said for security over making a splash play every once in a while...
Reply/Quote