Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alex Erickson
He's probably still on the outside looking in. A few more games will be telling

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 07:13 PM)Whatever Wrote: Tate will have to majorly implode and start dropping passes and fumbling kicks to get cut.  Dude can also play coverage teams in addition to WR and KR/PR.  He's the most versatile WR they have, and they love versatility out of the #4-5 WR's.  

Boyd and Erickson are equally versatile IMO.

I know they are just rookies but both seem better ST players and better Wideouts.

And i am not a Tater hater.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 10:49 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Jones is listed as #1 punt returner. Tate is listed as #1 Kick returner. What's the #1 thing that has to happen when your team receives a kick or punt??? Before anything else, you have to maintain possession of the football. Tate is automatic. He's not going to be cut.

That is what Simmons says, in the end we need to keep possession of the ball.

Tate does a good job of this, i believe he has only lost 1 fumble his entire career here.
Reply/Quote
I would definitely rather have a fair catch or a two yard return than have our defense have to go back out on the field after a punt or kickoff...
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 10:36 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: So after AJ Green  there is Lafell  Zero years as a Bengal..  Tate..  5 years a Bengal.  and rookies..

where is this Veteran Presence at WR you speak of?

don't let your personal bais get in the way of whats best for the team.

Tate looked fine out there as a WR...  and if Erickson makes the team as a returner  then maybe we get to see tate on the field more on sundays.
I didn't mean at receiver, I just meant veteran presence in general.

Maybe that's also why he was on the field- Marvin's loyalty to veterans.

It doesn't really matter that LaFell wasn't a Bengal because he's still a vet.  It's everyone's first year with Ken calling plays, so it really doesn't matter much.  Sure, the chemistry with Dalton is important, but that can come easy.

Also, you forget that we have three tight ends that are good receivers with experience that will more than likely play big roles.  
(08-15-2016, 10:49 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Jones is listed as #1 punt returner. Tate is listed as #1 Kick returner. What's the #1 thing that has to happen when your team receives a kick or punt??? Before anything else, you have to maintain possession of the football. Tate is automatic. He's not going to be cut.

His bad decisions and bad returns make it seem like it would be better to let the ball roll through the endzone sometimes or just let the punts go completely.  Jones only returns when he hasn't been on the field too long, and Tate doesn't have the moves or anything to make having him in the game worthwhile.

If Erickson proves that he's reliable, there's no reason that Tate should be on the team.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 10:36 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: So after AJ Green  there is Lafell  Zero years as a Bengal..  Tate..  5 years a Bengal.  and rookies..

where is this Veteran Presence at WR you speak of?

don't let your personal bais get in the way of whats best for the team.

Tate looked fine out there as a WR...  and if Erickson makes the team as a returner  then maybe we get to see tate on the field more on sundays.

Well, for one thing, we have a veteran QB.  Two veteran TEs.  Two veteran RBs.  It takes more than just WRs and I think we are close to the point where it doesn't take a HoF to take advantage of the coverage rolling towards Eifert and Green.  

There is a new OC and these guys are showing more than Tate has in five years of opportunities.  Again, I don't hate Tate, but let's see if we can upgrade instead of standing still (which usually means you get passed).  

The long term vision here is that Boyd may likely replace Lafell next year at "X" if Core isn't ready.  That means a slot is open in the slot receiver position.  Erickson played in the middle in a pro-style offense in college.  He is very adept at finding the soft spots in a zone.  I think having a really good "security blanket" in the slot is critical when in 3-receiver sets, just as it is having Eifert out there when not in that personnel group.  Boyd could be the new Houshmanzadeh, and Core could be the new Herny, but I sure don't want to lost Erickson as a backup for such a critical position because they want to stick with a known, average commodity.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 03:30 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: That return was against guys that are going to be on ST's anyway, so it was against the 1's basically. 

Wright will make the roster.Marvin likes the guy and if he stays healthy,a big if,he will contribute.The guy can flat out catch the skin.He will probably see some action with the first team this Thursday.So will Lafell.who knows.I think that the Erickison kid makes the practice squad.Coach Simmons wants back-up punt returners and this guy is fearless and had good hands.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 07:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: His bad decisions and bad returns make it seem like it would be better to let the ball roll through the endzone sometimes or just let the punts go completely.  Jones only returns when he hasn't been on the field too long, and Tate doesn't have the moves or anything to make having him in the game worthwhile.

If Erickson proves that he's reliable, there's no reason that Tate should be on the team.

You're wrong on this, Brad. How many times would it take for the catch to be fumbled and the opposing team to get the ball 1st and goal from the 3 yd line would it take for you to see it. People think Tate sucks because he is not Adam Jones. Well, newsflash, nobody is Adam Jones but Adam Jones. Tate is near 100% catch security, and usually gets it out to at least the 20. I'll take that all day long over worrying about some rookie dropping the ball back there.....oh yeah, which we saw Friday night....
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 08:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You're wrong on this, Brad. How many times would it take for the catch to be fumbled and the opposing team to get the ball 1st and goal from the 3 yd line would it take for you to see it. People think Tate sucks because he is not Adam Jones. Well, newsflash, nobody is Adam Jones but Adam Jones. Tate is near 100% catch security, and usually gets it out to at least the 20. I'll take that all day long over worrying about some rookie dropping the ball back there.....oh yeah, which we saw Friday night....

I'm confused.  I can't tell if you're talking about punts or kickoffs.  

Players typically aren't supposed to field punts inside the 10, and we could get someone else who is sure-handed back there to return punts who could offer something more.  People always talk about dropping the ball, but how many other players have been given a chance?  You can't say "he's the most reliable on our team" when no one else is given a chance because he's the most reliable by default.

On kickoffs, punts go into the endzone now just about all the time, meaning that we could just start at the 20 if the returner takes a knee, but Tate offers nothing more than that.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 09:29 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm confused.  I can't tell if you're talking about punts or kickoffs.  

Players typically aren't supposed to field punts inside the 10, and we could get someone else who is sure-handed back there to return punts who could offer something more.  People always talk about dropping the ball, but how many other players have been given a chance?  You can't say "he's the most reliable on our team" when no one else is given a chance because he's the most reliable by default.

On kickoffs, punts go into the endzone now just about all the time, meaning that we could just start at the 20 if the returner takes a knee, but Tate offers nothing more than that.

You saying "no one else gets a chance" is not correct. The coaches have been trying a lot of people returning. They either cannot do it, don't want to do it, or are not reliable enough catching the ball to supplant Tate. And if they can't do it in practice, they sure as hell can't do it in a game. As for kickoffs, you will see a lot of teams take the Simmons approach this year and tell the kicker to kick it short, because on touchbacks the ball no longer comes out to the 20, it comes out to the 25. Gunners are going to be trying to either tackle the returner short rather than give up a quarter fo the field. Sure handed returners are golden. Tate has proven to be just that.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 10:49 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You saying "no one else gets a chance" is not correct. The coaches have been trying a lot of people returning. They either cannot do it, don't want to do it, or are not reliable enough catching the ball to supplant Tate. And if they can't do it in practice, they sure as hell can't do it in a game. As for kickoffs, you will see a lot of teams take the Simmons approach this year and tell the kicker to kick it short, because on touchbacks the ball no longer comes out to the 20, it comes out to the 25. Gunners are going to be trying to either tackle the returner short rather than give up a quarter fo the field. Sure handed returners are golden. Tate has proven to be just that.

They haven't been given a chance until this year to show anything in any real time game scenario, so where are you getting that they can't do it, don't want to do it, or are not reliable enough?

When have they been given a chance in the past?

In the preseason, other guys have returned and have done well, and I don't think anyone else has really been given a chance in past seasons (other than Jones, who is lots better), so how can you even say that?

It's like they're scared to give anyone else a chance other than Tate because they know that Tate would be cut.  We can't be keeping guys around just to protect their feelings.
Reply/Quote
Tate made plays against better competition than Erickson last game.  Yes, he has made some odd decisions on returns in the past.  Yes, he isn't a first string starting receiver.  What he has done is fumbled fewer times than just about anyone else in the league who has been in a similar position throughout his career.  He won the Kansas City game last season on a circus catch.  I will never understand the people who think that Lewis, Simmons, and Tobin are stupid for seeing value in a player like Tate.  
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 11:02 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Tate made plays against better competition than Erickson last game.  Yes, he has made some odd decisions on returns in the past.  Yes, he isn't a first string starting receiver.  What he has done is fumbled fewer times than just about anyone else in the league who has been in a similar position throughout his career.  He won the Kansas City game last season on a circus catch.  I will never understand the people who think that Lewis, Simmons, and Tobin are stupid for seeing value in a player like Tate.  

Some people also seem to not know Lewis and Simmons tell them when and where the parameters are that they want them to bring it out. It's not always the returners choice.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 03:14 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: The way Hobson is talking about Wright and how they viewed him as a potential starter before the injury. I wouldn't count him out.

Agreed.

Tate makes the team.  He looked good with the ones.  The last spot is going to be between Alford, Wright and Erickson.  If I was giving anyone an edge at this point it would be Wright.  But that chapter has not been written.   Now with Alford hurt it appears to be a contest between Wright and Erickson.

Interesting competition.

The WR room has a long way to go before going to NY
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 12:26 PM)3wt Wrote: Agreed.

Tate makes the team.  He looked good with the ones.  The last spot is going to be between Alford, Wright and Erickson.  If I was giving anyone an edge at this point it would be Wright.  But that chapter has not been written.   Now with Alford hurt it appears to be a contest between Wright and Erickson.

Interesting competition.

these next 3 preseason games will be very telling...   Core was looking good.   I liked #13's 1 40 yard catch...  Hopefully we can keep him around and get him ready by next season.  

Kumerow lost that deep ball and some momentum for trying to make the squad.

The TEs were looking decent out there.considering we were starting with 3rd and 4th string.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 12:26 PM)3wt Wrote: Agreed.

Interesting competition.

Nati had a good point about the way Hobs, Lap and Hoard have been talking up Wright.

Still, he is coming off injury and Erickson has better production as a Receiver and as a Returner already.

Wonder if Wright was blocking on the TD return for Erickson? I will have to take a look.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 01:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nati had a good point about the way Hobs, Lap and Hoard have been talking up Wright.

Still, he is coming off injury and Erickson has better production as a Receiver and as a Returner already.

Wonder if Wright was blocking on the TD return for Erickson? I will have to take a look.

Yeah I'd kill to have DVR capability or NFL network so I could review the game.  So much to look at.

But it will have to wait till the kids are out of the house and financially independent.   I thought Wright looked really good in the few snaps he worked.   I'm looking forward to watching both those guys tonight.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 02:22 PM)3wt Wrote: Yeah I'd kill to have DVR capability or NFL network so I could review the game.  So much to look at.

But it will have to wait till the kids are out of the house and financially independent.   I thought Wright looked really good in the few snaps he worked.   I'm looking forward to watching both those guys tonight.

Same here brother, simply do not have the dough at the momento.

Either way, i think either one will add great depth to the position which i was questionable about before the first Preseason game.

Great news. Just need to have everyone healthy once the Ford Field cloud clears...
Reply/Quote
I am really liking this Erickson kid. He is definitely making the most of his opportunity. I'd like to see him work his way up our depth chart. Cut Tate and give us Erickson.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 11:10 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: I am really liking this Erickson kid. He is definitely making the most of his opportunity. I'd like to see him work his way up our depth chart. Cut Tate and give us Erickson.

Tate has been showing up pretty good so far this training camp. Minus that one punt return, he has looked just as good as Erickson but done it against starters. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Tate fan, but this has been his best preseason so far. 

Niw if you were going for someone over peerman I would be on board completely. Or Tate from a year or two ago. 
Reply/Quote