Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All the starters go Thursday Ross out
Cordy Glenn is in the concussion protocol and will be out this week

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:52 PM)pally Wrote: Cordy Glenn is in the concussion protocol and will be out this week
As far as ways a guy could be "dinged up." that's probably about as good as it gets.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:54 PM)McC Wrote: As far as ways a guy could be "dinged up." that's probably about as good as it gets.  

So who's going to play LT with the 1's this week, Andre Smith?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:50 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: According to Bengals.com’s Geoff Hobson, Ross’ hamstring injury could sideline him for two weeks. The issue was thought to be just tightness in the hamstring that would only cost Ross a few days, but now it sounds like it’s a little more serious.

First look at the source Hobspin this was not ZT or a trainer or front office it was Hobspin. The ISSUE was thought to be just tightness in the hammy. Meaning that's what the coaches was told by the player since you have never heard a coach once say hey your hammy looks a little tight from here you better sit out all preseason. That would cost Ross a few days which goes in line with what ZT has been saying he has been day to day since July27 when camp started. Which now sounds like it's a little more serious ...This is not confirming there is an injury at all.

When you are dealing with media writers you need to learn to read between the lines. I spelt it out for you this time I might not be there in the future to help you out.

Except "read between the lines" really means to speculate. You need to admit you are making an assumption that there's no injury at all. And I don't have to "learn to read between the lines," you need to learn to not make assumptions for what's not explicitly stated.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So who's going to play LT with the 1's this week, Andre Smith?

Smith and Dugas.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So who's going to play LT with the 1's this week, Andre Smith?

he played with the first team today

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:37 PM)McC Wrote: I thought it was Malone who quit on the route in the Carolina game and the ball was picked.

Nuup. It was JR.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
The bottom line on Ross is they have a first round pick that they are desperately trying to get stats for in regular season games so he does not look like a bust. Let us hope that we have enough WR around him to carry the load that is why we are going to keep 7 WR this year they already know 1 is not going to help much.

I have said it before Ross has the ability but not the drive and want too nobodies fault but his.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm trying to look it up. There were two INTs by Donte Jackson, who was covering John Ross. One in 1Q and the other in 4Q. I'm assuming you're referring to the 4Q one, which is the one where there was speculation (not confirmation) Ross was supposed to cut to the corner when Ross actually cut toward the post.

What I see confirmed in the replay:
Ross runs vertical then cuts toward the post, turning his head toward the ball at the point of the cut.
The ball sails way over Ross into the arms of Donte Jackson.

This article on Cincy Jungle goes into detail of Ross during that game...with this quote...
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/9/24/17894516/aj-green-tyler-boyd-discuss-john-ross-bad-game-against-panthers-bengals-nfl-week-3

Maybe I'm giving Ross way too much leniency, but is it really fair to label something as a trend when it hasn't really happened that often? I think it's more that these mishaps (whether Ross's fault or not) are happening at big moments and therefore more under the microscope.

I'd say, regardless of the route that was run, he slowed down before the pass was thrown and just kind of lazily cut and didn't bother looking back until the ball was right on him. It didn't look anything like his head was in the game and he was expecting a throw. 

And it's been mentioned (fair and/or not) a few times. As a WR you don't want to have that mentioned even once. No excuse for not going 100%, especially in that circumstance. 

I'm not looking to crucify him or yell for a cut right now. If there's any way he could turn into a T Hill type, it would only benefit the Bengals on Sundays. ZT is doing the right thing by trying to make sure he's completely healthy (F preseason right now), but if he comes up lame or doesn't give 100% any more...see ya!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:44 PM)McC Wrote: You might say he quit on the route but you could just as easily call it a terrible throw and a bad decision by the QB to even throw it. There were essentially three guys around him.  What chance was there for a completion?

It begs the question...is a receiver to blame if the QB makes a bad throw that will never be a completion?  Coincidentally, the same thing happened to Malone in that same game and we barely saw him again for the rest of the season.

I would expect the WR head to be in the game and attempt to break the bad pass up. Sure, the pass looked really over his head so you have to wonder...just bad throw or WR running the wrong route? If he's running the wrong route, that's 2 strikes on him, since he didn't look to be mentally into the play and they were only down 7 at the time. 

Like i said in the previous post, i'd like to see him turn into a legit weapon, but he has a lot of negatives against him right now and shouldn't have much room for error anymore. 

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Did he give up on the route?  Or did he miss the audible, after Andy made his pre-snap read?

Dunno, but regardless, it looked like he was thinking more about his post-game meal.  Cool

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:44 PM)McC Wrote: just as easily call it a terrible throw and a bad decision by the QB to even throw it. 
I ain't saying that cause then Fred will come in here and tell me what a hater i am.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
Ross on rehab field until Sunday at earliest

Reply/Quote
O'Shea Dugas is my hope like to see if he can hold up and the coaches need to know in preseason. If they don't find out in this game they will not find out since the last preseason game only scrubs play. Andre needs his share of reps at LT since he played for us mainly at RT.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 05:18 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Dunno, but regardless, it looked like he was thinking more about his post-game meal.  Cool

I think what this whole Ross debate is Perception vs Reality.
When I hear people slandering Ross, I hear the words/phrases such as "appears" and "looks like." 
Basically, this confirms that they are taking their perception and believing it to be reality.

Now I get the notion of "perception is reality" and maybe Ross should be more aware of how things could be perceived to avoid misconception, but we ultimately cannot claim 100% whether he ran a wrong route, gave up on a route, is faking an injury, etc. unless he or the team explicitly confirms that.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 02:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What are you talking about?
It's been an estimated 2 weeks since July 29.
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/7/29/8938038/john-ross-injury-nfl-news-bengals-camp-2019

Just read through the thread if you think I'm the only one confused with all the spin. I mean, you are posting in the thread. Did you not read it.

Again.

We've heard in this very thread

He's day to day
He's not injured ZT is holding him out
He's out 2 weeks.

Now what are you talking about?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 05:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I ain't saying that cause then Fred will come in here and tell me what a hater i am.  Ninja

Seriously, other than being essentially a punt on second down, what exactly was the intent of that pass?  Where was the window for a completion, with two defenders to the left of the receiver and one ten yards deeper than the receiver?

Do we want our QB making deep throws on second down where the best case scenario is the receiver breaks up the pass?   That's good football?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 05:24 PM)pally Wrote: Ross on rehab field until Sunday at earliest
Oh dang you mean he just missed all the hard work well dang. I didn't see that coming.  Hilarious Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 02:31 PM)Whatever Wrote: Nobody ever complained about Marvin holding Ross out of practice because it didn't happen.  Ross isn't in Taylor's doghouse.  Taylor is the one saying he isn't letting him practice.  Taylor's main concern is getting and keeping everyone healthy for week 1,as he's said from the outset.  They've been holding lots of key guys out practice and games with various ailments or with nothing wrong with them at all.  The guys recovering from serious injuries were injured last year.

I haven't seen much of Andy being the whipping boy for Ross running wrong routes.  I've seen him called out for poor accuracy on deep balls to Ross, but he's been called out for that regarding a lot of WR's.

I think you might want to reread my post.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:15 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: To be fair, this number should be zero. I have not seen or heard of any other Bengal receiver who has quit on a route.

You must have never seen a Bengals scramble drill, because all the receivers just quit...

In seriousness, there is no WR out there going all out every play.  In fact, most NFL players take plays off.  Randy Moss used to even pull out his mouthpiece when he did it.  The receiver knows where his route is in the progression, so if he takes off a play when he's 4th or 5th in the progression, the ball isn't likely coming to him.

My big issue with the Ross gaffe is that it was poor situational awareness.  It was late in the game and the Bengals were down. Ross was on a fly route. In those circumstances, you have to expect the QB to take the shot, regardless of the progression.
Reply/Quote