Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All the starters go Thursday Ross out
(08-19-2019, 04:12 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: To be faire, he gave up on a route late against the Panthers, last year and i'm pretty sure i've seen grumblings about a couple others, though they don't come to mind instantly. 

To be fair, this number should be zero. I have not seen or heard of any other Bengal receiver who has quit on a route.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 03:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Here are some of the biggest ones:

- John Ross has been outproduced by the other receivers the past two years (although stats say otherwise).
- John Ross is healthy but just doesn't want to play in preseason! (although it was JUST reported he's on the rehab field the other day)
- John Ross just wants to collect a paycheck! (although not once has Ross ever said he didn't want to play or be in Cincinnati, all pure speculation because of his lack of stats)
- John Ross runs gives up on a routes and runs wrong routes! (only "proof" of this is the deep pass against TEN in 2017 where Ross slowed up and the ball went incomplete, not a proven constant reoccurring theme)

I don't know where those first 3 come from. There's no evidence that those things are true at all.

As for the 4th one, he has run routes incorrectly multiple times with the Bengals and he has given up on some routes, which we have all seen and Marvin even called him out on one of them, something Marvin rarely ever did with a player. When writers write about his "inconsistency issues" they are talking about his route running and possibly some about his hands. If a WR is consistently running his routes correctly and catching the ball, I'm not sure there is much else that could make a WR inconsistent. And, as I have said several times, his run blocking seems decent and he gets out and gets a body on the DBs.

I *still* would like to see him get it together and really take over that WR3 spot. But when he isn't practicing at all it's hard to believe it will happen soon.

Reply/Quote
Ross needs more rest, he has been overworked so far in his career
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:12 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote:
To be faire, he gave up on a route late against the Panthers, last year
and i'm pretty sure i've seen grumblings about a couple others, though they don't come to mind instantly. 

Can you provide video of this? I don't recall this but I was in the process of driving between states during the second half of this game and therefore unable to watch.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:15 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: To be fair, this number should be zero. I have not seen or heard of any other Bengal receiver who has quit on a route.

Should be, yes.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:16 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I don't know where those first 3 come from. There's no evidence that those things are true at all.

As for the 4th one, he has run routes incorrectly multiple times with the Bengals and he has given up on some routes, which we have all seen and Marvin even called him out on one of them, something Marvin rarely ever did with a player. When writers write about his "inconsistency issues" they are talking about his route running and possibly some about his hands. If a WR is consistently running his routes correctly and catching the ball, I'm not sure there is much else that could make a WR inconsistent. And, as I have said several times, his run blocking seems decent and he gets out and gets a body on the DBs.

I *still* would like to see him get it together and really take over that WR3 spot. But when he isn't practicing at all it's hard to believe it will happen soon.

Can you provide proof of these other wrong routes? The only one I recall is the one from the 2017 TEN game.
I do remember reading a Twitter post during OTAs this year that Ross appeared to run the wrong route or wrong cut, but it wasn't confirmed that it actually was wrong.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 03:02 PM)Whatever Wrote: If it makes you feel any better, there's now more misinformation, slander, made up fantasies, and character assassinations by his detractors than excuses by his supporters.

I believe the rule of thumb is...if you don't like a guy, you have the right to spout any kind of nonsense and bullshit you want about him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Can you provide video of this? I don't recall this but I was in the process of driving between states during the second half of this game and therefore unable to watch.

Sure, when i get time later tonight. If you want to check the game day archive of the Panthers game, late, i'm sure there will be some posts about it. Also, the following Monday and that week there was a pretty big discussion of it, complete with pics and whatnot.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:16 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I don't know where those first 3 come from. There's no evidence that those things are true at all.

This is a perfect example of the nonsense factor.  You say multiple times but then turn around and say Marvin called him out on ONE. 

Seems to me you'd have to know what route he was supposed to run to know if he ran the right one and I have never really seen any way that anyone on this board would have that information.

If he's so bad and there's so much to actually criticize him about, why do people have to keep inventing shit to use against him?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Can you provide video of this? I don't recall this but I was in the process of driving between states during the second half of this game and therefore unable to watch.

Quick link to when it happened.
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Week-3-GameDay-Thread-Bengals-Panthers?page=48

Video, starts at 6:30
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000965718/Bengals-vs-Panthers-highlights-Week-3

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:23 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sure, when i get time later tonight. If you want to check the game day archive of the Panthers game, late, i'm sure there will be some posts about it. Also, the following Monday and that week there was a pretty big discussion of it, complete with pics and whatnot.

I thought it was Malone who quit on the route in the Carolina game and the ball was picked.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:28 PM)McC Wrote: This is a perfect example of the nonsense factor.  You say multiple times but then turn around and say Marvin called him out on ONE. 

Seems to me you'd have to know what route he was supposed to run to know if he ran the right one and I have never really seen any way that anyone on this board would have that information.

If he's so bad and there's so much to actually criticize him about, why do people have to keep inventing shit to use against him?

I have watched AJ Green run (it appeared, but I did not know the play call or his read) wrong routes. It appeared AJ stopped on routes at times. Just my perception, but my reality is it is not as simple as fans want to make it. These routes can be complicated and dictated by 2 players reading things, the QB and the WR so in reality, I never know who at is fault when it happens.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:23 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sure, when i get time later tonight. If you want to check the game day archive of the Panthers game, late, i'm sure there will be some posts about it. Also, the following Monday and that week there was a pretty big discussion of it, complete with pics and whatnot.

I'm trying to look it up. There were two INTs by Donte Jackson, who was covering John Ross. One in 1Q and the other in 4Q. I'm assuming you're referring to the 4Q one, which is the one where there was speculation (not confirmation) Ross was supposed to cut to the corner when Ross actually cut toward the post.

What I see confirmed in the replay:
Ross runs vertical then cuts toward the post, turning his head toward the ball at the point of the cut.
The ball sails way over Ross into the arms of Donte Jackson.

This article on Cincy Jungle goes into detail of Ross during that game...with this quote...
Quote:Of course, the throw was bad and nowhere near where Ross looked like was was going
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/9/24/17894516/aj-green-tyler-boyd-discuss-john-ross-bad-game-against-panthers-bengals-nfl-week-3

Maybe I'm giving Ross way too much leniency, but is it really fair to label something as a trend when it hasn't really happened that often? I think it's more that these mishaps (whether Ross's fault or not) are happening at big moments and therefore more under the microscope.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Is it not possible to not be in love with a player whom disappoints you constantly? A first rounder whom is a possible WR3 but still can't get on the field? At least with Eifert getting hurt every time it rains out, he is excellent when he on the field. Honestly, if you had to lose one person, would it be Boyd or Ross?
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Quick link to when it happened.
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Week-3-GameDay-Thread-Bengals-Panthers?page=48

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000965718/Bengals-vs-Panthers-highlights-Week-3

You might say he quit on the route but you could just as easily call it a terrible throw and a bad decision by the QB to even throw it. There were essentially three guys around him. What chance was there for a completion?

It begs the question...is a receiver to blame if the QB makes a bad throw that will never be a completion? Coincidentally, the same thing happened to Malone in that same game and we barely saw him again for the rest of the season.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Quick link to when it happened.

Did he give up on the route?  Or did he miss the audible, after Andy made his pre-snap read?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 02:01 PM)Destro Wrote: Trade him to the Raiders. He will have any helmet they tell him to have while sitting on the bench.

Maybe thats why they want him healthy, to up his trade worth.  :andy: Let's hope so.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:39 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have watched AJ Green run (it appeared, but I did not know the play call or his read) wrong routes. It appeared AJ stopped on routes at times. Just my perception, but my reality is it is not as simple as fans want to make it. These routes can be complicated and dictated by 2 players reading things, the QB and the WR so in reality, I never know who at is fault when it happens.

Exactly.  But that doesn't stop people from acting like they know.

Reply/Quote
According to Bengals.com’s Geoff Hobson, Ross’ hamstring injury could sideline him for two weeks. The issue was thought to be just tightness in the hamstring that would only cost Ross a few days, but now it sounds like it’s a little more serious.

First look at the source Hobspin this was not ZT or a trainer or front office it was Hobspin. The ISSUE was thought to be just tightness in the hammy. Meaning that's what the coaches was told by the player since you have never heard a coach once say hey your hammy looks a little tight from here you better sit out all preseason. That would cost Ross a few days which goes in line with what ZT has been saying he has been day to day since July27 when camp started. Which now sounds like it's a little more serious ...This is not confirming there is an injury at all.

When you are dealing with media writers you need to learn to read between the lines. I spelt it out for you this time I might not be there in the future to help you out.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 04:50 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: According to Bengals.com’s Geoff Hobson, Ross’ hamstring injury could sideline him for two weeks. The issue was thought to be just tightness in the hamstring that would only cost Ross a few days, but now it sounds like it’s a little more serious.

First look at the source Hobspin this was not ZT or a trainer or front office it was Hobspin. The ISSUE was thought to be just tightness in the hammy. Meaning that's what the coaches was told by the player since you have never heard a coach once say hey your hammy looks a little tight from here you better sit out all preseason. That would cost Ross a few days which goes in line with what ZT has been saying he has been day to day since July27 when camp started. Which now sounds like it's a little more serious ...This is not confirming there is an injury at all.

When you are dealing with media writers you need to learn to read between the lines. I spelt it out for you this time I might not be there in the future to help you out.

Read between the lines...

Real world translation---make shit up.

Reply/Quote