Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Almost 50% of Leftists refuse to be friends with a Trump supporter.
http://www.dailywire.com/news/18854/poll-almost-half-leftists-say-they-wont-be-friends-ben-shapiro

This is pretty crazy. Has anyone here cut a friend off who voted against your beliefs? I have plenty of leftists and progressives as friends... it's fun. Being a democrat leads to emotional beliefs which explains how irrational they can behave.

Quote:Poll: Almost Half Of Leftists Say They Won't Be Friends With Trump Supporters

Tolerance!

July 21, 2017 18.5k views

Photo by Barbara Alper/Getty Images
People tend to hang out with people they like. That often means people with whom they share values and community and life experiences. But now, it appears that our political polarization has grown so wide that Americans who voted differently in 2016 don’t want to hang out with each other.

That, at least, is the story from the Pew Research Center, which found that 47% of “liberal Democrats” stated that if a friend voted Trump, it would strain the friendship. For all Democrats, 35% stated the same. For Republicans, that number was just 13% when applied to Hillary Clinton.

Now, perhaps that number would change if Hillary had won. But there is more than a whiff of elemental scorn that Democrats hold for Trump voters. They don’t see what was so bad about Hillary that would necessitate a vote for Trump; they think that a vote for Trump could never be made in a good faith effort to help the country, but rather was an endorsement of Trump’s worst behavior. This feeling, combined with the fact that Leftists live in bubbles — as Aaron Blake of The Washington Post points out, 47% of people who voted Clinton had zero Trump supporting friends — means that the Left will continue to polarize and pillory.

Only 28% of Democrats say they aren’t stressed by talking with those who differ on Trump, which means that the vast majority of Democrats won’t even deign to discuss the issues. That leads to less knowledge of the typical Republican, and the lazy intellectual construct that turns Trump voters into an “other” to be opposed on grounds of supposed bigotry.

And that scorn will, in turn, drive more and more conservatives into Trump’s arms. Much of the Trump movement was built on a reactionary and justified anger against Leftist character assassination — and the Left’s solution seems to be more character assassination.
(07-22-2017, 11:50 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: http://www.dailywire.com/news/18854/poll-almost-half-leftists-say-they-wont-be-friends-ben-shapiro

This is pretty crazy. Has anyone here cut a friend off who voted against your beliefs? I have plenty of leftists and progressives as friends... it's fun. Being a democrat leads to emotional beliefs which explains how irrational they can behave.

So half of an unknown percentage said it would strain their friendship is the same as half of everyone on the left refuse to be friends?

LOL

Tad extreme interpretation there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I generally don't hang out with illiterate anti-American bafoons in my daily life. Plenty of republicans and libertarians who have respect for their country though.
(07-22-2017, 12:10 PM)Benton Wrote: So half of an unknown percentage said it would strain their friendship is the same as half of everyone on the left refuse to be friends?

LOL

[Image: 60-of-the-time-it-works-every-time-quote-1.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(07-22-2017, 12:10 PM)Benton Wrote: So half of an unknown percentage said it would strain their friendship is the same as half of everyone on the left refuse to be friends?

LOL

Been widely written about that leftists drop more friends on Facebook and other Social media outlets over trump.
I stopped being friends with a couple of people that believe the Earth is 6,000 years old and that humans co-existed with dinosaurs at one point.

But I havent stopped being friends with someone that is either far to the right or to the left.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(07-22-2017, 01:18 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I stopped being friends with a couple of people that believe the Earth is 6,000 years old and that humans co-existed with dinosaurs at one point.

But I havent stopped being friends with someone that is either far to the right or to the left.

You be a lame Vulcan with your "logic". I will have my Raptor Jesus. 

Who came out on top in that trade? That's right, this guy.

[Image: raptor-jesus_o_1511767.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(07-22-2017, 01:06 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Been widely written about that leftists drop more friends on Facebook and other Social media outlets over trump.

Says a lot about some peoples perception of friendship as existing purely online. #PATHETIC. #FRIENDLESS.
Wait.....I thought righties don't believe in polls.
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.

LOL

Well, we are looking at a Mother Jones-esque site on the right side of things.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-22-2017, 05:15 PM)CharvelPlaya Wrote: Wait.....I thought righties don't believe in polls.

Only when it invalidates their delicate opinions.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-22-2017, 05:59 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, we are looking at a Mother Jones-esque site on the right side of things.

Mother Jones just makes things up

DW is an actual news site
(07-22-2017, 05:03 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Says a lot about some peoples perception of friendship as existing purely online. #PATHETIC. #FRIENDLESS.

Leftists
(07-22-2017, 07:17 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Mother Jones just makes things up

DW is an actual news site

That opinion is one based upon your ideological slant. They are both very biased websites reporting news that is slathered with biased opinion in order to validate partisan opinions of those that read it.

(07-22-2017, 07:59 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: That opinion is one based upon your ideological slant. They are both very biased websites reporting news that is slathered with biased opinion in order to validate partisan opinions of those that read it.

Remember, it's only fake news if you don't agree with it. 

If you agree with it, it's an "actual news site"

ThumbsUp
(07-22-2017, 08:59 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Remember, it's only fake news if you don't agree with it. 

If you agree with it, it's an "actual news site"

ThumbsUp

Sadly, that has become the standard.

(07-22-2017, 07:21 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Leftists

Article discussed in person friendships. You equate that to social media relationships.

#LONELY
(07-22-2017, 07:59 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: That opinion is one based upon your ideological slant. They are both very biased websites reporting news that is slathered with biased opinion in order to validate partisan opinions of those that read it.

Well then we better let DW know since they reularly go after republicans. It's just based on the news. Just because they are willing to publish a wide variety of stories doesn't make them mother Jones.
(07-22-2017, 09:08 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Article discussed in person friendships. You equate that to social media relationships.

#LONELY

Yeah too bad that point was made when referencing a story months back about leftists and social media habits.

Keep up
(07-22-2017, 01:06 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Been widely written about that leftists drop more friends on Facebook and other Social media outlets over trump.

It's also widely written that smoking is good for you.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/here-are-the-ways-smoking-may-actually-be-good-for-yo-1721438933

Quote:certain things in tobacco smoke may actually do the body good
https://www.livescience.com/15115-5-health-benefits-smoking-disease.html

Quote:five possible benefits from smoking. 

Mellow

Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true. 

But it might be. You could be correct. But the linked article doesn't back that up. It says half of "liberal democrats." Which might have been all of 2 people surveyed.