Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I nuts to think oline isn't all that big of a 'need' anymore?
Spain and Adeniji seem to be legit. We know Hopkins and Jonah are legit. Hart, XSF, Mike Jordan and Price figure out spot 5? I don't see that as an awful oline anymore. Do I have stockholm syndrome or do ya'll agree?

If you want to see more break downs of Spain and Adeniji check out this video Lapahm made https://fb.watch/1RizPLrhAQ/

Cigar
I think it’s gotten better, but we could still afford to spend some money there this offseason. Another guard for depth. We can certainly get better when it comes to depth on this Oline, the backups are pretty bad.

Also, the line played well at the end of last season, but then was bad again at the beginning of 2020. Is this a trend that will happen again in 2021?
(11-18-2020, 06:24 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Spain and Adeniji seem to be legit.  We know Hopkins and Jonah are legit.  Hart, XSF, Mike Jordan and Price figure out spot 5?  I don't see that as an awful oline anymore.  Do  I have stockholm syndrome or do ya'll agree?

If you want to see more break downs of Spain and Adeniji check out this video Lapahm made https://fb.watch/1RizPLrhAQ/

Spain is a better G than OT, but he's an ok fill-in at OT.
He definitely deserves to start at OG.
Adeniji showed some promise at OT but he's not better than Williams or Hart yet. He's a fine backup though.

I would say that it's not the urgent need it was earlier in the year, but I'd still look to draft an OL no later than Round 3 in the draft just to further bolster the OL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Yes we gave up sacks last week but running the ball against Pitts at 5 per carry is hopeful.
(11-18-2020, 06:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Adeniji showed some promise at OT but he's not better than Williams or Hart yet. He's a fine backup though.
Im not so sure he's not better than Hart when you factor in his youth and how well he's handled getting thrown to the wolves.  I mean Pitts front is no joke and he more than held his own.  Also no preseason,  I really think he could end up an excellent tackle in this league.  Hart has improved but we've all seen what he can do when he decides to take a play or 2 off (get Joe smacked). 

Cigar
(11-18-2020, 06:46 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Yes we gave up sacks last week but running the ball against Pitts at 5 per carry is hopeful.

I don't think we gave up more than the average team does against them which is a really good sign considering we had a 6th round rookie at LT and a guard who's been on the team 3 weeks at RT.

Cigar
If Adenejii can become a starter at RT and Spain at LG, I still say we need to get a stud at RG. I know Thuney has been thrown around. If we land him or someone like him in FA, I think the first two picks can go elsewhere, however, depth still needs to be addressed.
(11-18-2020, 06:24 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Spain and Adeniji seem to be legit.  We know Hopkins and Jonah are legit.  Hart, XSF, Mike Jordan and Price figure out spot 5?  I don't see that as an awful oline anymore.  Do  I have stockholm syndrome or do ya'll agree?

Yes on Stockholm syndrome.
I’d still like some better guards (especially for run blocking) but it’s not quite as urgent as it was. I wish Taylor and Turner would stop waiting until halfway through the season to figure the OL/running game out.

Pass rush has become a bigger need IMO. Just absolutely zero pass rush all year. I know some pieces on the O Line have been injured...but man it's been pathetic. Especially with Geno's future up in the air and Dunlap's productivity gone.

Team needs in order now:
Pass Rush
Offensive Line
Secondary (looming loss of WJ3)
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
(11-18-2020, 07:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Pass rush has become a bigger need IMO. Just absolutely zero pass rush all year. I know some pieces on the O Line have been injured...but man it's been pathetic. Especially with Geno's future up in the air and Dunlap's productivity gone.

Team needs in order now:
Pass Rush
Offensive Line

And speed WR.

(11-18-2020, 06:55 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: If Adenejii can become a starter at RT and Spain at LG, I still say we need to get a stud at RG. I know Thuney has been thrown around. If we land him or someone like him in FA, I think the first two picks can go elsewhere, however, depth still needs to be addressed.

We drafted a QB  who could become elite.  We damn will better get him a young LT and RT that can protect the edges.  I'm not convinced Jonah is the LT of the future, hopeful, but not yet convinced. A Richie Braham would do wonders for the line.  Currently I see lots of guys who would be good subs, not nearly enough starters and no pro bowl types.  I want a couple PB types on the line with Burrow.
(11-18-2020, 07:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Pass rush has become a bigger need IMO. Just absolutely zero pass rush all year. I know some pieces on the O Line have been injured...but man it's been pathetic. Especially with Geno's future up in the air and Dunlap's productivity gone.

Team needs in order now:
Pass Rush
Offensive Line

I think this is right with the reservation that the o line is still horrible.

can those smarter then me respond- could we improve the pass rush with a better scheme, more unpredictability on who blitzes, changing to a 3-4?

How much of a totally pathetic pass rush can be blamed on lacking a creative and experienced coach?

We have so many holes except at WR and QB and RB and bates.  Everything else needs help. It is all bad.
I'd look to the draft for CB and edge rushers, and leave the O-line till later rounds as it stands now. Not saying I'm completely thrilled with the line, but it is cheaper to get a guard or center in free agency then a edge rusher or CB. So, use the cap space to get some road graders at guard, and use the draft to get the high dollar over priced spots. Surtain at CB in round one would be a nice start, and then get Jayson Oweh in round 2, and your starting to shore up some of the weaker spots we have.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

The Steelers and Ravens always have two of the best defenses running a 3-4. Why don't we try to steal their ideas? Why don't we hire someone trained in their systems to be our D coordinator?
(11-18-2020, 07:09 PM)bengals67 Wrote: The Steelers and Ravens always have two of the best defenses running a 3-4. Why don't we try to steal their ideas? Why don't we hire someone trained in their systems to be our D coordinator?

You mean like Marvin Lewis?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(11-18-2020, 07:19 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: You mean like Marvin Lewis?

how many true edge rushers did we have under Marvin? I cant think of any
They were all true DEs 1st and pass rushers 2nd. Pitt and Baltimore , yr after yr keep finding these guys who get off the edge quickly and provide the heat on QBS. A quick glance at my mental "Rolodex" Pitt has had or has Kevin Greene, Greg lloyd, TJ Watt, Dupree. Balt Suggs, now Queen, Z Smith etc. etc. 
have we had a anyone close ?? I think we were running a diff type of D then these guys...but why arent we trying to copy a system that has been working for decades. 
(11-18-2020, 07:19 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: You mean like Marvin Lewis?

Or more accurately, Dick LeBeau?  The guy invented the zone blitz scheme that still acts as the cornerstone of Pittsburgh's defensive scheme.  His success in implementing it in Pittsburgh in the 90s didn't translate well when he came back here and eventually took over as head coach.  You need the players to execute it as well.  Good article on how the Steelers are still a zone blitz defense at heart: https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/pff-shows-steelers-still-predominant-zone-blitz-team-in-nfl/

I say we have the rest of the season to decide that so play them and lets find out what we truly have.
(11-18-2020, 07:54 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I say we have the rest of the season to decide that so play them and lets find out what we truly have.

Agree for sure.  Id really like to see Adeniji specifically get a shot to show what hes got.  Could be a diamond in the rough. 

Cigar