Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I the only one who thinks
We don't need guards?? I thought westerman and Redmond both looked good when they finally got time. We had a good ypc even with Bodine in there and boling at left tackle and no deep threats besides green. All I hear is take Wynn take Hernandez . I'm more worried about right tackle and center. And they will most likely just put Fisher at right tackle again anyway. Which I'm fine with we don't have to have the best o line in the league all of the sudden after the worst lol.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 06:04 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: We don't need guards?? I thought westerman and Redmond both looked good when they finally got time. We had a good ypc even with Bodine in there and boling at left tackle and no deep threats besides green. All I hear is take Wynn take Hernandez . I'm more worried about right tackle and center. And they will most likely just put Fisher at right tackle again anyway. Which I'm fine with we don't have to have the best o line in the league all of the sudden after the worst lol.

Westerman needs a chance to play.  He was projected to go rounds 2-3 in the draft and was compared to Mack in terms of playing Center.  The guy needs to play.  WTS, yes, the Bengals need Hernandez or Wynn or even Price at guard.  Injuries happen and the interior line play has been horrible with Bodine leading the way.   The rushing game last year was as bad as I can remember.  Even if Westerman or Redmond starts, Bengals need a top tier guard or the very lease B. Smith from Auburn.  

Of course they also need a Center in 1-2 rounds.  Ever since Rich Braham left the Bengals, the center position has been a question mark.  I would like a Top Center this year.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 06:10 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Westerman needs a chance to play.  He was projected to go rounds 2-3 in the draft and was compared to Mack in terms of playing Center.  The guy needs to play.  WTS, yes, the Bengals need Hernandez or Wynn or even Price at guard.  Injuries happen and the interior line play has been horrible with Bodine leading the way.   The rushing game last year was as bad as I can remember.  Even if Westerman or Redmond starts, Bengals need a top tier guard or the very lease B. Smith from Auburn.  

Of course they also need a Center in 1-2 rounds.  Ever since Rich Braham left the Bengals, the center position has been a question mark.  I would like a Top Center this year.  

Now we need a Center

we already have 1 OG spot locked down....  I'm sure we can find an OG from whats on the roster for the right side as well..

Id say its still a need for Depth.. but not a day 1 starter.
Reply/Quote
I agree mostly. But I think RG is enough of a question mark they will take one mid to late rounds just to hedge their bets.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I believe that you're the only one who doesn't think we need good Guards. Ninja

Seriously, you take Isiah Wynn, because he's a tremendous football player. He can be a candidate for Guard or Tackle, or even Center in a pinch. Just throw him in the mix, and let the positions sort themselves out.

Yes, the Bengals do need a big, physical Center. A guy that can handle big ass NTs, without having to get help from a Guard. That's why you take whomever is left between Price and Ragnow with the 46th pick.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 06:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I agree mostly. But I think RG is enough of a question mark they will take one mid to late rounds just to hedge their bets.

Wouldn't be against a guard later rounds but would you rather have a right tackle or guard..id like to draft a center and a tackle to groom.and be emergency if needed. I just feel we got our guards.it would be different if westerman and Redmond played like crap but even Dave lapham.was gushing over how they moved guys .
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 06:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I believe that you're the only one who doesn't think we need good Guards.   Ninja

Seriously, you take Isiah Wynn, because he's a tremendous football player.  He can be a candidate for Guard or Tackle, or even Center in a pinch.  Just throw him in the mix, and let the positions sort themselves out.

Yes, the Bengals do need a big, physical Center.  A guy that can handle big ass NTs, without having to get help from a Guard.  That's why you take whomever is left between Price and Ragnow with the 46th pick.
I like wynn but they say he's too shortish to be a starting tackle I do like how he's versatile and good in run blocking. But Is he really starting year 1? I don't see it. Who knows when he would get in there.
Reply/Quote
Honestly if i had it my way id go
1 Harrison
2 ragnow
3 Orlando brown or some other tackle
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 06:28 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I like wynn but they say he's too shortish to be a starting tackle I do like how he's versatile and good in run blocking. But Is he really starting year 1? I don't see it. Who knows when he would get in there.

Don't believe the hype on that "prototypical height' bullshit.  The golden rule of line play has always been, and always will be "the low man, and the quicker man always win".  If you watch any of the breakdown tape of Isiah Wynn, you'll be amazed to see those hips drop, and those feet and hands just never stop moving.  Sure he's "only" 6'3", but you don't get a 6.11 prospect grade from NFL.com for being squatty built.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 06:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't believe the hype on that "prototypical height' bullshit.  The golden rule of line play has always been, and always will be "the low man, and the quicker man always win".  If you watch any of the breakdown tape of Isiah Wynn, you'll be amazed to see those hips drop, and those feet and hands just never stop moving.  Sure he's "only" 6'3", but you don't get a 6.11 prospect grade from NFL.com for being squatty built.
Well if he was for sure going to plug right tackle and be good at it I'd love the pick. I just think guard is not really a need anymore. Maybe it was when hopkins was in there.
Reply/Quote
Only 2 picks in the first two rounds so they better make them count and not go on a fishing expedition for a "might be"  candidate like years past with guys like the Estonian wonder.  In an ideal world the greatest players will fall to them in rounds 3-7, but it's not the greatest strategy for securing a great offensive line .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 06:46 PM)grampahol Wrote: Only 2 picks in the first two rounds so they better make them count and not go on a fishing expedition for a "might be"  candidate like years past with guys like the Estonian wonder.  In an ideal world the greatest players will fall to them in rounds 3-7, but it's not the greatest strategy for securing a great offensive line .

Well keep in mind our 1st pick usually is a redshirt ,our 2nd pick usually always plays. Same with 3rd round . So im looking for more out of the 1st rounder this year. That actually would be double of what we usually get,because we really traded our pick for glenn. This could equal playoff success for once.
Reply/Quote
They're all three a priority if you want to have a power running game that can protect Dalton too.   We are thinner at center and tackle than guard, but we don't really have a good right guard on the roster.  I'd rather not count on them for the right guard position if we don't have to.

The only non-negotiable is center.  And he needs to be a good one.   I want all three.  But I'd be hard pressed to pass up Wynn or Hernandez in the first round if we thought we could get one of the top 3 centers at 46.   If McGinchley is there at 21 that creates even more tension there.

So the short answer is that I agree with you that the priority is tackle and center.  But I definitely am not satisfied with who we have at right guard.  And this is a good year for quality guards - particularly in the first round.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 06:37 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Well if he was for sure going to plug right tackle and be good at it I'd love the pick. I just think guard is not really a need anymore. Maybe it was when hopkins was in there.

I know what you're getting at.  Westerman and Redmond did look good, at the end of the year.  Do you ever wonder why that is?  I mean, they didn't win any starting jobs in camp.

I call it "fresh legs syndrome".  It's when a player comes off the bench, late in the season and looks really good.  Could the reason for that be, because the guy coming off the bench is totally fresh, and the guys he's playing against have been beaten up from playing all year?  Heck, just look at Hopkins.  He discovered that it was much tougher to be the man, and hold the position, than it is to come off the bench and look good in spot duty.

If those guys really were any good, they would have displaced a starter in camp.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 07:00 PM)3wt Wrote: They're all three a priority if you want to have a power running game that can protect Dalton too.   We are thinner at center and tackle than guard, but we don't really have a good right guard on the roster.  I'd rather not count on them for the right guard position if we don't have to.

The only non-negotiable is center.  And he needs to be a good one.   I want all three.  But I'd be hard pressed to pass up Wynn or Hernandez in the first round if we thought we could get one of the top 3 centers at 46.   If McGinchley is there at 21 that creates even more tension there.

So the short answer is that I agree with you that the priority is tackle and center.  But I definitely am not satisfied with who we have at right guard.  And this is a good year for quality guards - particularly in the first round.

Then it comes down too everyone wants a #1 ranked o line all the sudden,everyone of them gots to be top notch lol I'd be ok with that if there wasn't other positions of need. Safety,linebacker,maybe receiver cause lafell sucks ,Ross is a mystery and small. What if one of our backs get hurt . What if missing tez so much really hurts us. What if we don't get a pass rush . With Michael Johnson mainly at end.what if William Jackson gets hurt again.what if Dalton goes down in preseason.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 07:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I know what you're getting at.  Westerman and Redmond did look good, at the end of the year.  Do you ever wonder why that is?  I mean, they didn't win any starting jobs in camp.

I call it "fresh legs syndrome".  It's when a player comes off the bench, late in the season and looks really good.  Could the reason for that be, because the guy coming off the bench is totally fresh, and the guys he's playing against have been beaten up from playing all year?  Heck, just look at Hopkins.  He discovered that it was much tougher to be the man, and hold the position, than it is to come off the bench and look good in spot duty.

If those guys really were any good, they would have displaced a starter in camp.
Or maybe because our coaches don't know talent ,they barely practice anymore I think they don't even tackle during the week.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 07:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I know what you're getting at.  Westerman and Redmond did look good, at the end of the year.  Do you ever wonder why that is?  I mean, they didn't win any starting jobs in camp.

Im done here sir 
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 07:27 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Or maybe because our coaches don't know talent ,they barely practice anymore I think they don't even tackle during the week.

That is true.  However, those guys will have yet another opportunity in camp this year, to win a starting job.  Unless a guy is really stinking it up (see Ogbuehi) those positions are pretty much set, once the battles are won in camp.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Give me a center and tackle in the first 3 rds and revive that thing called competition. If Westerman has to be the top backup interior OL and Fisher is the swing tackle and sub TE...great.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 07:44 PM)phil413 Wrote: Give me a center and tackle in the first 3 rds and revive that thing called competition.  If Westerman has to be the top backup interior OL and Fisher is the swing tackle and sub TE...great.

Also if westerman could play center that would be huge, you could draft Wynn then and put him at guard . But that would also be risky. I'd love to pick up another star on defense though. Or even draft Lamar Jackson or Rudolph ( I know that won't happen)
Reply/Quote