Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I the only one who wanted a stud DE
Really wanted a good pass rusher. We have only taken 5 DE's in the first 2 rounds since 88 almost 30 years. And only 2 DT's. I think the Ravens got some good pass rushers, I like that we got Billings to go with Adkins but would have loved Hargraves with our 3rd or 4th pick. A 300lb+ DT that was one of the nations sack leaders would have been nice. Now we get to face him with Pitt.
Reply/Quote
Believe DE will be top priority next year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 08:25 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Really wanted a good pass rusher. We have only taken 5 DE's in the first 2 rounds since 88 almost 30 years. And only 2 DT's. I think the Ravens got some good pass rushers, I like that we got Billings to go with Adkins but would have loved Hargraves with our 3rd or 4th pick. A 300lb+ DT that was one of the nations sack leaders would have been nice. Now we get to face him with Pitt.

Shit no you aren't the only one. Look at me.
Reply/Quote
They saw WJ3 as the top player at a high money position, and didn't see a well rounded high end DE prospect worth taking over him. Then you get the run on DE early in round 2, and Boyd was an obvious choice as one of the best available players at a big need. We can debate if there was a guy that could challenge as a situational rusher over Vigil but they see Vigil as a well rounded guy long term. Either way, I can't see a rookie earning PT this year. So they're looking for Clarke and Hardison and maybe a miracle from Hunt in rotating in at DE. A Dunlap injury would be bad, so yea if there is any need that wasn't touched it was DE but then again was he even going to play anyway?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 10:02 PM)phil413 Wrote: They saw WJ3 as the top player at a high money position, and didn't see a well rounded high end DE prospect worth taking over him.  Then you get the run on DE early in round 2, and Boyd was an obvious choice as one of the best available players at a big need.  We can debate if there was a guy that could challenge as a situational rusher over Vigil but they see Vigil as a well rounded guy long term.  Either way, I can't see a rookie earning PT this year.  So they're looking for Clarke and Hardison and maybe a miracle from Hunt in rotating in at DE.  A Dunlap injury would be bad, so yea if there is any need that wasn't touched it was DE but then again was he even going to play anyway?

Why do some act like it is a miracle that Hunt could do something? Out of the 2 Clarke has dissapointed me more that Hunt.

I do like Vigil in pass rushing situations though, he is a natural there.

I definately wanted another pass rusher to atleast compete.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 10:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Why do some act like it is a miracle that Hunt could do something? Out of the 2 Clarke has dissapointed me more that Hunt.

I do like Vigil in pass rushing situations though, he is a natural there.

I definately wanted another pass rusher to atleast compete.
I loved the little flashes here and there of Hunt as much as the next guy, but lets not be naive and act like he hasn't been hanging on the roster by a thread.  I hope he dominates, I remember vs the Colts he literally ran the OT into the QB so talent is there but he needs to put it together.  I don't know how you go from being a healthy scratch all year into the offseason and then someone you plan around.  He's still a threat to be cut, so yes him putting it together would be welcomed but I'm not putting money on it.  Maybe the word "miracle" was strong, but obviously something had better click or he's going to be cut.  Let's believe together he puts it together and gives us 3/4 of the hype we've been hearing about at least. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 10:27 PM)phil413 Wrote: I loved the little flashes here and there of Hunt as much as the next guy, but lets not be naive and act like he hasn't been hanging on the roster by a thread.  I hope he dominates, I remember vs the Colts he literally ran the OT into the QB so talent is there but he needs to put it together.  I don't know how you go from being a healthy scratch all year into the offseason and then someone you plan around.  He's still a threat to be cut, so yes him putting it together would be welcomed but I'm not putting money on it.  Maybe the word "miracle" was strong, but obviously something had better click or he's going to be cut.  Let's believe together he puts it together and gives us 3/4 of the hype we've been hearing about at least. 

I would of believed this if we drafted another End.

The coaches must be seeing something in either Hunt, Clarke or Hardison.

Personally i like Hardison the best of the bunch and Clarke the least so far.
Reply/Quote
Back to the topic, hopefully Billings comes along quickly to be a poor man's Seattle Sam Adams, as opposed to the Bengals version that ended up on his back a lot. Billings coming along to take reps from Peko (as opposed to being redshirted) keeps Domata fresh and puts the opposing line in a quandary over who to give extra help to. Of coarse you need better production at the back end of the DE rotation, but Billings could mean a lot for the rush as a whole especially for LB's and DB's rushing here and there.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 10:37 PM)phil413 Wrote: Back to the topic, hopefully Billings comes along quickly to be a poor man's Seattle Sam Adams, as opposed to the Bengals version that ended up on his back a lot.  Billings coming along to take reps from Peko (as opposed to being redshirted) keeps Domata fresh and puts the opposing line in a quandary over who to give extra help to.  Of coarse you need better production at the back end of the DE rotation, but Billings could mean a lot for the rush as a whole especially for LB's and DB's rushing here and there.

Phil, if you have even seen Andrew Billings he looks like a mixture between Vince Wilfork and our own Geno Atkins.

Sam Adams was alright even in his prime but i think this is a sad comparison. He was just big and strong, hardly any athleticism.

For a big DT, Billings moves around almost as good as Atkins. This is rare.

BTW the thread is about DE and i am kinda pissed we didn't take one if there is one critique.
Reply/Quote
Your title is about wanting a stud DE and then talk about wanting the DT the Steelers drafted. Doesn't make much sense.

I wanted a stud DE too. Problem is there was very few in this draft. If any. Bosa went top 3. Floyd is a project. Lawson and all the others are questionable.

Unlike the Browns taking 5 WRs in a weak WR class. I'm glad we didn't push the subject in a weak DE class.

Hardison will be given every chance to take over Gilberrys role. No more time to hide for our scouting and drafting department. We have 2nd and 3rd round pick DEs on their rookies contracts who we need to play now.
Reply/Quote
Not getting an edge setting DE is my only criticism of this draft (jury is out on Vigil). Next year teams can trade comp picks and if the season doesn't go tits up the Bengals should be looking to move up in the first (something they never do) and take a DE.
Reply/Quote
I wanted a DE also, but there were not a lot of 4-3 DEs that fit our mold, and none of them were a reasonable value when we made our choices.
Reply/Quote
At th end of the draft I was praying that we would get MacCallister. He would have been a complete project who probably not even have seen the fild thie year, but I felt like he had a lot of potential. He went just a couple of picks before we selected in the 7th.
Reply/Quote
I was praying that Shilique Calhoun made it to our 3rd round pick.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 12:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: At th end of the draft I was praying that we would get MacCallister.  He would have been a complete project

We havent finished the Margus Hunt project at DE yet. Can't start another one until that one is finished.
Reply/Quote
For all these people who want a stud de why?? We heads Carlos Dunlap break the sack record And Michael Johnson had a good year despite playing injured fall year
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 01:38 AM)Beaker Wrote: We havent finished the Margus Hunt project at DE yet. Can't start another one until that one is finished.

Literally no point in expecting him to turn it on if he's shown zero progress in 3 years. I'm ok keeping him around in TC but we've brought no competition for some God awful reason.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 03:17 AM)Jpoore Wrote: For all these people who want a stud de why?? We heads Carlos Dunlap break the sack record And Michael Johnson had a good year despite playing injured fall year

Let me show you the depth we have at EDGE:

There. 
Reply/Quote
Silverberry Mouhon was brought in for a tryout.

Ok, he was probably brought in for his awesome name. Low chance he sticks. But still an awesome name.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 04:12 AM)Stormborn Wrote: Let me show you the depth we have at EDGE:

There. 

What i like is we have upgraded our LB core the last two years... Dansby, Virgil, Dawson with a healthy Burfict will give us more sacks at LB position which has been more of heel for us than sacks from the Dline over the past couple years.  We went from 30th to 23 in sacks last year and believe we will improve more this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote