Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Amarius Mims named best pick of 1st Round by PFF
(05-10-2024, 03:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Burrow is all about ball.

No one doubts that but we all know your mind and body aren't always on the same page.

My argument, while it hurts to hear, can't be disputed with Burrows injury history.

Folks can try, but facts are facts. He's only been able to finish 2 seasons out of 4 and he's battled though injury issues in every season. 

I think there is a little bit of Ostrich head in the sand when it comes to Burrow and his injuries from this fanbase. If it was any other QB suddenly people would see the bubbling threat to what was hoped to be a 15 year career. 

Yes I worried about Burrow's health early last season and took all the shots (tired argument, gloom and doom etc) as I typically do when I see something coming from a mile away and everyone plugs their ears and covers their eyes and sings Kumbaya. And of course we saw what happened to him.

And who was shocked when it did? Not I. Everyone else melting down late and after the fact just couldn't see the signs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
And Burrow put on muscle LAST offseason too and well....

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2024, 05:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Probably because Luck retired after 2018, and Luck wasn't a Bengal, so most (around here) don't remember every single injury.
They just remember he was injured a lot.

I'm not one to blame the OL on the thumb injury. A player can fall awkwardly and put their hand down and their hand is jacked up from bracing their fall.
I also don't put any blame on the OL for the training camp injury.
The only injury I put on the OL was the 2020 leg injury.

Whether someone is to blame or not, Burrow has either missed a lot of games or played poorly in some games due to an injury multiple times in the past 4 seasons.
Constant injuries can end up shortening a career.
Hope it doesn't happen to Burrow.
I'd like to hope Burrow has another 10+ years in him.

I just don't know how people on this board don't worry about Burrows health and injury history. How can you be a fan of his and not? How can you be a fan of the Bengals and not worry about or acknowledge the injuries' adding up and what that means to what we hoped would be a long playing career? Fans across the league who aren't Bengals fans but love what Burrow brings to the game and league are more concerned about his future and understanding the big picture of how these beatings all add up, and the kind of toll they can take on athletes... Odd. 

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2024, 05:34 PM)jj22 Wrote: He just stated - his own words, he's been feeling playing and practicing through pain and  things he shouldn't have. I think it's fans acting like he's felt nothing that I wonder how they'd think they'd feel if they took the beatings he's taken the last 4 years.

There's a reason these players retire and can't walk up steps or play with their kids. Are knock kneed, and have toes removed, and 20+ surgeries by the age of 35. I think it's "us" who act like they are invincible or super hero's when in fact they are human. They are feeling pain. The worse thing we can do as fans is treat them like they don't. The best thing we can do is acknowledge and respect their sacrifice to their bodies to play the sport they love.

His admission to what all he's played and practiced through should be heard. 

I dunno man, but every human is different in how they respond to injury and physical setbacks. Personally, I played tackle football until I was nearly 34. I understand what it's like to have to recover from a weekly pounding, and still go to work at a regular job and make a living. Obviously it's much different between weekend warriors playing because they love to knock heads and getting paid hundreds of millions because you're a national icon, but at the physical level there are some similarities.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2024, 06:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I dunno man, but every human is different in how they respond to injury and physical setbacks. Personally, I played tackle football until I was nearly 34. I understand what it's like to have to recover from a weekly pounding, and still go to work at a regular job and make a living. Obviously it's much different between weekend warriors playing because they love to knock heads and getting paid hundreds of millions because you're a national icon, but at the physical level there are some similarities.

I agree with you it's different for every human. That is why you have players and qb's who play their entire career without any major injuries and / or surgeries etc.

But Burrow isn't really built like the Super Hero people around here act like he is. So we know he isn't that type of human unfortunately. His body has shown us that. And for that we should be more cognizant of how much more he can take and the effects of the beatings he's taken.

It be different if I was sounding this alarm for a player that never missed a game or chunks of seasons. Sure they may be fine through age 34 and I'd sound like an alarmist, but Burrow has already proven he isn't built like that physically. He is mentally.... Just not physically. So he's not THAT human. 

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2024, 02:41 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: It obviously was'nt the ACL & MCL..... I assume. He would've never played a down in the NFL.

I can't find the specific surgeries, however, he had three knee surgeries for unspecified torn ligaments in his knees (1 on the left, 2 on the right). The closest info I found is a comment on his last injury against Texas Tech; "What helped, Muñoz believes, was that he did not tear the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee at Texas Tech, when a defender collided into his knee. He tore the other ligaments."

Even if any the incidents didn't include the ACL and/or MCL it is still a miraculous story as the orthopedic options/procedures in the late 70s were not even close to the orthopedic options/procedures developed since then and available today.

That being said, Mims' injuries (high ankle sprain, hamstring) pale in comparison given the severity and available medical resources today. Heck, Burrow has been injured far more then Mims to date. We can only hope he returns to peak physical shape and develops into a superstar (the same goes for Burrow).
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2024, 06:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: I agree with you it's different for every human. That is why you have players and qb's who play their entire career without any major injuries and / or surgeries etc.

But Burrow isn't really built like the Super Hero people around here act like he is. So we know he isn't that type of human unfortunately. His body has shown us that. And for that we should be more cognizant of how much more he can take and the effects of the beatings he's taken.

It be different if I was sounding this alarm for a player that never missed a game or chunks of seasons. Sure they may be fine through age 34 and I'd sound like an alarmist, but Burrow has already proven he isn't built like that physically. He is mentally.... Just not physically. So he's not THAT human. 

Yeah but... A few hours ago you sounded the alarm hoping Burton would make it to camp based on literally nothing too... Bad things happen, and if you talk Bout them enough in advance, you'll surely be right sometimes.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2024, 12:54 PM)jj22 Wrote: The quantity of hits Burrow has endured was by choice. It's the price they were willing to pay for passing on Sewell to draft Chase.

His earned injury prone label is legit.

Hopefully these new additions can help solve that if it's not too late. The fear is it is.

Burrows knee was destroyed due to the LG being bull rushed into him and the RT getting beat. Not sure how that has ANY impact on a potential LT draft pick?

(05-10-2024, 02:14 PM)jj22 Wrote: He'll already never be without pain in his wrist.... It's something he'll have to manage. He is only 27 but has the body of a 47 year old.
We are probably living season by season (game by game) with Burrow at this point. Nothing surrounding his availability is guaranteed.

This is just a bad uninformed opinion. Burrow in outstanding shape. ACL's repair good as new these days. The wrist likely will as well. He will not experience pain forever, according to a surgeon who was recently quoted as saying that he could feel pain up until November, but that is the far end of the timing spectrum, not forever.

(05-10-2024, 05:44 PM)jj22 Wrote: No one doubts that but we all know your mind and body aren't always on the same page.

My argument, while it hurts to hear, can't be disputed with Burrows injury history.

Folks can try, but facts are facts. He's only been able to finish 2 seasons out of 4 and he's battled though injury issues in every season. 

I think there is a little bit of Ostrich head in the sand when it comes to Burrow and his injuries from this fanbase. If it was any other QB suddenly people would see the bubbling threat to what was hoped to be a 15 year career. 

Yes I worried about Burrow's health early last season and took all the shots (tired argument, gloom and doom etc) as I typically do when I see something coming from a mile away and everyone plugs their ears and covers their eyes and sings Kumbaya. And of course we saw what happened to him.

And who was shocked when it did? Not I. Everyone else melting down late and after the fact just couldn't see the signs.

This is a dumb as people saying Mims is injury prone. Both had blockers/defenders pushed/rolled into their legs. Any human would have had the knee/ankle surgery. It is dumb to suggest that these 2 had these injuries because they are injury prone.

Burrow had a 280 pound man fall on him and was unable to extend his arm to break the fall, another freak accident that would have injured anyone's wrist. Players are classified as being injury prone, not due to freak injuries, but as to soft injury issues or problems with a previous injury. Like Tee's annual hamstrings, if Burrow's calf keeps being an issue or his ACL doesn't hold up, then he has a problem. Not understanding how football works is mindnumbingly annoying with our fanbase and others.

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2024, 06:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: But Burrow isn't really built like the Super Hero people around here act like he is.

So we know he isn't that type of human unfortunately. His body has shown us that. And for that we should be more cognizant of how much more he can take and the effects of the beatings he's taken.

Burrow is 6'4, 220.  He isnt fragile by any means.  His body hasnt shown us anything to say he is fragile.  His body has shown us that like every other player in the history of the game if a 300+ pound man is shoved into your leg it causes a major injury.  Just like Cappa the year before, a very big sturdy man weighing over 300 pounds, but I guess he is fragile as well?  No he isnt.  It's just a bad off base opinion. 

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2024, 05:44 PM)jj22 Wrote: No one doubts that but we all know your mind and body aren't always on the same page.

Well said. As much as I love Burrow, facts are facts. I loved Greg Cook as well.
Reply/Quote
I acknowledge there is some risk with the Mims pick. I get where people who are not enamored with the pick are coming from regarding the injury risk.

But the tape is fantastic. Not good. Fantastic. Only OT with 450+ snaps who did not allow a sack or a QB hit. In the SEC. Remind me who Wil Anderson & Turner play for? Where did they get drafted?

The upside here is immense. And the floor (as a player) is not low. Health is the risk.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2024, 07:13 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah but... A few hours ago you sounded the alarm hoping Burton would make it to camp based on literally nothing too... Bad things happen, and if you talk Bout them enough in advance, you'll surely be right sometimes.

I did highlight the suspect Hobson pic with him missing and forcing Hobs to use two pics of Jenkins to get to 10. And wondered out loud if that may have fuels the rumblings. I didn’t sound any alarm or start any rumor for the record. 

Reply/Quote

(05-10-2024, 06:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: I just don't know how people on this board don't worry about Burrows health and injury history. How can you be a fan of his and not? How can you be a fan of the Bengals and not worry about or acknowledge the injuries' adding up and what that means to what we hoped would be a long playing career? Fans across the league who aren't Bengals fans but love what Burrow brings to the game and league are more concerned about his future and understanding the big picture of how these beatings all add up, and the kind of toll they can take on athletes... Odd. 

You know what is odd? You acting like we have any way of protecting Burrow from these injuries. It is not only the OL that is to blame 
in why Burrow has got injured. The ACL tear was terrible and that may have been on the OL, but a 300+ pound DL falling on your leg 
can do that to any player and any QB. An appendectomy has nothing to do with the OL, neither did the calf and him getting hit on the
wrist and causing that injury is extremely flukey.

I find it odd that you stick to your guns on Burrow being injury prone which pretty much dooms the Cincinnati Bengals from ever winning
a Super Bowl. I am not going to go through life as a Bengals fan with no hope for the future.

Now, back to the thread that you high jacked, Amarius Mims helps Joe Burrow for the future. This guy could be the best in the NFL as a 
swing Tackle and I am not even kidding. He is that talented and he is smart on top of it.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2024, 06:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: I agree with you it's different for every human. That is why you have players and qb's who play their entire career without any major injuries and / or surgeries etc.

Are you serious?!

Aside from his rookie year when he only played ten games and then last season when he only played ten, he has played every game and been relatively healthy while also taking a beating from the biggest and best athletes in the world because of a shitty offensive line.

In his two full seasons, he was sacked 41 and 51 times.

It's one thing about not being built to take the grinding of the NFL, but it's an entirely different argument to say that Burrow should be Superman and just come through the beatings that he has taken unscathed.
Reply/Quote
I’m not sure what the argument really is. 100% of the people outside of this board agrees with me. If Burrow goes down again making it 3 out of 5 seasons there will be questions. And concerns. Rather people around here like it or not. Plug your ears, cover your eyes and scream there is nothing to see here as loud as you want.

We already know how much Burrow has battled through. The focus on how many games missed I thought was put to rest after he went on IR last season.

Him only missing games in 1 season as reason to ignore all of the things he’s fought through in his career was soooo 2022….

We are now 2/4 season ending injuries. My original post remains accurate. If there’s another season lost, there will be concerns for the remainder of his career. And if we are talking about him being able to finish seasons 40% of the time then it is a season to season thing we have to hope he stays healthy. And this was a big pick to solidify the line.

Again I don’t know what all the fuss is.

Reply/Quote
So, how about that Mims guy hey.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2024, 07:54 PM)jj22 Wrote: I’m not sure what the argument really is. 100% of the people outside of this board agrees with me. If Burrow goes down again making it 3 out of 5 seasons there will be questions. And concerns. Rather people around here like it or not. Plug your ears, cover your eyes and scream there is nothing to see here as loud as you want.

We already know how much Burrow has battled through. The focus on how many games missed I thought was put to rest after he went on IR last season.

Him only missing games in 1 season as reason to ignore all of the things he’s fought through in his career was soooo 2022….

We are now 2/4 season ending injuries. My original post remains accurate. If there’s another season lost, there will be concerns for the remainder of his career. And if we are talking about him being able to finish seasons 40% of the time then it is a season to season thing we have to hope he stays healthy. And this was a big pick to solidify the line.

Again I don’t now what all the fuss is.
Because nobody wants us to revisit the days when it seemed like the team was snakebit, and if Burrow has another season ending injury, it would start to feel that way.
The good news is this is the best OL we’ve had in quite some time.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
And here this was supposed to be a Mims thread - if you are so determined to soapbox about Burrow's injuries a separate thread would make more sense.

Speaking of Mims, I think we got a bargain partly because so many conflate "inexperienced" and "raw". A player who is inexperienced is just that - lacks experience. That does not mean they are uncoached or have no refinement. A player who has little or no coaching and refinement is raw. The existing tape on Mims shows he has skills and refinement, particularly in pass protection. He also has the correct work ethic and attitude, and joining a tackle room with Trent Brown and OBJr will help him acclimate to the NFL and get ready faster.
Reply/Quote
I've said a number of times:

Joe Burrow is not injury-prone; he just gets injured a lot. They should come up with a term for it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2024, 12:54 PM)jj22 Wrote: The quantity of hits Burrow has endured was by choice. It's the price they were willing to pay for passing on Sewell to draft Chase.

His earned injury prone label is legit.

Hopefully these new additions can help solve that if it's not too late. The fear is it is.

I'm calling BS on that one. Any QB on the field would have had a shredded knee on that play. Appendicitis is a medical issue, not an injury issue. And the wrist injury was a fluke. The only injury that concerned me was his calf.
Reply/Quote