Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Anarumo has GOT to go
(09-23-2020, 01:06 PM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: Speaking of Zim, if he gets fired from Minny this year, would y'all want him?

As DC or HC?

Yes to either one.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 02:22 PM)Big Boss Wrote: As DC or HC?

Yes to either one.

I think he's good enough that if we hired him as a DC he would get poached as a HC before the season starts.
Reply/Quote
The defense took hits before the year even started. Losing Josh Tupou and Rennell Wren were bigger than people realize. Tupou was the backup nose and 3rd and short defensive tackle. Wren was going to be playing in alot of the 5 man fronts as a DE and in the rotation on the interior. The Bengals tried to make up for the loses with Mike Daniels and Covington but they were still short that backup nose tackle.

It's not injuries that hurt a team its losing players at one position.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 02:26 PM)Synric Wrote: The defense took hits before the year even started. Losing Josh Tupou and Rennell Wren were bigger than people realize. Tupou was the backup nose and 3rd and short defensive tackle. Wren was going to be playing in alot of the 5 man fronts as a DE and in the rotation on the interior. The Bengals tried to make up for the loses with Mike Daniels and Covington but they were still short that backup nose tackle.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 02:26 PM)Synric Wrote: The defense took hits before the year even started. Losing Josh Tupou and Rennell Wren were bigger than people realize. Tupou was the backup nose and 3rd and short defensive tackle. Wren was going to be playing in alot of the 5 man fronts as a DE and in the rotation on the interior. The Bengals tried to make up for the loses with Mike Daniels and Covington but they were still short that backup nose tackle.  

Tomlin got the Steelers to 8-8 last year without their starting QB.  I think they were even down to their third string QB at some point. They lost arguably their most important piece and still finished .500.

Those types of coaches win championships.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 02:31 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

Football starts in the trenches if you're starting practice squad guys up front it will not look good on the back end. That is fact.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 02:34 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Tomlin got the Steelers to 8-8 last year without their starting QB.  I think they were even down to their third string QB at some point.  They lost arguably their most important piece and still finished .500.

Moved on from Leveon Bell and Antonio Brown too.

Connor, Smith-Schuster, and Pouncy all missed multiple games as well.

If we're pointing to the fact that we're down backup DL then we're getting really desperate to explain this away.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 02:34 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Tomlin got the Steelers to 8-8 last year without their starting QB.  I think they were even down to their third string QB at some point.  They lost arguably their most important piece and still finished .500.

Pittsburgh was strong in the trenches on both sides of the ball that's why they won. 

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 02:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Chargers' offense is ranked 27th in NFL in terms of Points.

Because the Bengals held them to only 16 points.
Reply/Quote

They also had an elite Defense and a good offensive line last year. That will help out a coach a lot. Plus he has had what 13 or 14 years of head coaching experience in the league.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 02:37 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If we're pointing to the fact that we're down backup DL then we're getting really desperate to explain this away.

There is nothing to explain away.  The Steeler started 0-2 last year also. And that was with Benstarting.

So they were no better than this years Bengal team.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 01:21 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I think that had to do with Taylor. Tyrod isn’t a BAD QB, but he certainly isn’t a good QB. San Diego ran at will on us.

They didn't run at will against us until Reader went out. Still they held them to 16 freaking points. It was a very good performance by the Defense against the chargers.
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 02:02 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This is true.  But rarely, if ever, do they return to the team they were the head coach for.

I'm sure there's one example, but I honestly can't think of one off the top of my head.

Jon Gruden.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 02:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because the Bengals held them to only 16 points.

They also only scored 20 against the Chiefs.
So it's not like they are a high-powered offense.
The Chargers have a worse OL, QB, and weapons (aside from Allen) compared to the Browns, who put up 35 on a Bengals team who were only missing Daniels from the week prior.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 02:53 PM)J24 Wrote: They didn't run at will against us until Reader went out. Still they held them to 16 freaking points. It was a very good performance by the Defense against the chargers.

They did run at will. When Reader went out, the Chargers had 115 yards rushing on 23 carries, which is five yards a pop. That YPC is good for 30th in the league, our current ranking. Tyrod really hamstrung their offense and wasn't able to effectively attack via the air but they were still gashed on the ground.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 02:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They also only scored 20 against the Chiefs.
So it's not like they are a high-powered offense.
The Chargers have a worse OL, QB, and weapons (aside from Allen) compared to the Browns, who put up 35 on a Bengals team who were only missing Daniels from the week prior.

They nearly had 500 yards against the Chiefs last week. They are not a terrible offense.

Also the Browns are a good offense particularly in the Running game. Hunt and Chubb rushed for over 130 yards against the Ravens on 22 carries. Plus we played them on a short week while coming off a very physical and emotional game against the Chargers, and we did this without Geno. Come on man that's a tough ask for any team.
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 03:10 PM)J24 Wrote: They nearly had 500 yards against the Chiefs last week. They are not a terrible offense.

Also the Browns are a good offense particularly in the Running game. Hunt and Chubb rushed for over 130 yards against the Ravens on 22 carries. Plus we played them on a short week while coming off a very physical and emotional game against the Chargers, and we did this without Geno. Come on man that's a tough ask for any team.

And scored just 20 points.

The Browns were a 6-10 team last year, but their coaching was the main reason IMO. With what looks to be an improved passing game and OL, they might have a winning season. But I wouldn't put them up there as a contender just yet until I see more.

The Browns and Chargers were considered one of the more winnable games going into the season. If the Browns really have improved as much as they looked Thursday, the Bengals may only have a real shot at beating PHI, NYG, MIA. HOU and WSH looks like they could be close too. WSH looks better than they did last year whereas HOU looks worse, but neither looks glaringly worse than Bengals.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 03:04 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: They did run at will. When Reader went out, the Chargers had 115 yards rushing on 23 carries, which is five yards a pop. That YPC is good for 30th in the league, our current ranking. Tyrod really hamstrung their offense and wasn't able to effectively attack via the air but they were still gashed on the ground.

They had one big run of 26 yards other than that they we're not running the ball on us all day.
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 02:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is nothing to explain away.  The Steeler started 0-2 last year also. And that was with Benstarting.

So they were no better than this years Bengal team.

The point made was that Tomlin was able to squeeze 8 wins out of that team.

If Zac Taylor can do the same then you'll hear no complaints from me.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 03:23 PM)J24 Wrote: They had one big run of 26 yards other than that they we're not running the ball on us all day.

Except you can't do that. You can't just remove a play because it doesn't fit the narrative. Take away the pass interference and AJ scores the game winning touchdown, we are 1-1!

They had that big run, with Reader in there. Even if you take the big run out, they still have 89 yards on 22 carries. They were absolutely having success on the ground and to say that "they weren't running the ball on us all day" is crazy. I am much happier with 89 on 22 than 115 on 23, but they were still finding running room and at this point, we are arguing about something that isn't even reality. It is silly.
Reply/Quote