Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
And down goes Ross..........
(07-30-2019, 11:29 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: He isn't much of a loss at this point.

And that's less of an outright jab at the guy and more just a reaction to his various issues.  Would it really floor us if Ross has 0 catches vs the Seahawks in week 1?  Most of us would just shrug.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wasted pick. It's not his fault he was taken that high. It's our front office.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 10:34 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes on the Ross and Price comparison. I suspect that Price being from OSU has a lot to do with his mulligan, but who knows?

re: College production: A lot of teams in college have WR's that produce big numbers. Some are good Pro's and some aren't. Your point is valid though in that Ross wasn't some guy that had 25 catches for 252 yards his senior year at Washington and was drafted REALLY highly. That guy would be Drew Sample.  Sarcasm

I wouldn't cite his production to say he wasn't a one trick pony.  You can be a one trick pony in college and still put up monster numbers.  When you look at his tape, you see the expected deep balls, but he was a nightmare in the red zone.  Ross has elite short area quickness to go with his top end speed.  He'd break defender's ankles and create easy pitch and catch TD throws.  That part of his college game has translated to the pro's.  In college, he actually wasn't that great on deep fly's, like he primarily ran last year.  His deep success was on posts and corners where he could use that quickness on his breaks to separate.

Whether he continues to develop in the new offense, we don't know.  But he still has uses as a red zone Target and taking the top off of defenses if he doesn't.  
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 12:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: I wouldn't cite his production to say he wasn't a one trick pony.  You can be a one trick pony in college and still put up monster numbers.  When you look at his tape, you see the expected deep balls, but he was a nightmare in the red zone.  Ross has elite short area quickness to go with his top end speed.  He'd break defender's ankles and create easy pitch and catch TD throws.  That part of his college game has translated to the pro's.  In college, he actually wasn't that great on deep fly's, like he primarily ran last year.  His deep success was on posts and corners where he could use that quickness on his breaks to separate.

Whether he continues to develop in the new offense, we don't know.  But he still has uses as a red zone Target and taking the top off of defenses if he doesn't.  

His post routes + Daltons Post routes  numbers are why I originally was very excited by ross.. Hopefully that can come to be
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 12:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: His post routes + Daltons Post routes  numbers are why I originally was very excited by ross.. Hopefully that can come to be

Yea, crazy how that hasn't worked out so far, seems like it would have been a match made in heaven.

AD best in Pros at Post
Ross best in College at Post.
Reply/Quote
Trying to get a timeline on wide receiver John Ross’s hamstring has been just as hard as trying to get a handle on Green’s ankle. But Taylor cleared that up, too, Monday when he called him “day-to-day.”

“He’s got his hamstring. When we feel like he’s cleared to get on the field, we’ll do that,” Taylor said. “But in the meantime, we don’t want to put him out there too soon and risk losing him for a couple of weeks. Right now, we just take it day-to-day with John.” …
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 11:52 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Give him a chance.  He’s still pretty much a rookie.

Define rookie then...One who hasn't been very good for 3 years? One who's consistently injured and cannot play nor practice? or just a player's very first year on the team and league? 
By those first few I'm still a rookie at getting old.. Dying of old age of course the only qualifier..  Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 02:20 PM)grampahol Wrote: Define rookie then...One who hasn't been very good for 3 years? One who's consistently injured and cannot play nor practice? or just a player's very first year on the team and league? 

All of the above. Also, if a player fails but the fans don't like the coaches = rookie.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 02:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: All of the above. Also, if a player fails but the fans don't like the coaches = rookie.

Well, the old coaches all died from old age too..  Nervous or should have anyway.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 09:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Hamstring injuries drive me up the wall, because they are preventable. They occur because A) an athlete doesn't work the front and back of his legs the same amount and sets up an inbalance, which is on the trainers and the athletes, or B) the athlete slacks off when stretching. Ross is a walking hamstring injury, he needs to get his s^^^ together....

It's odd because he's been working with TJ Houshmandzadeh.  TJ had chronic hamstring issues his first couple of years here.  He researched it and employed some sort of power yoga technique and he did not have the problem any more.  He did say that he tried to talk teammates into the routine but it took too long and they were unwilling to use it.

Hard to know exactly what's going on, but I have the same impression.   When my teenage girls played club soccer they knew you had to work the whole leg to avoid ACL and hamstring issues.   You would hope the trainers are teaching him this - or TJ is.

Just has a bad feel.   Hope he gets squared away.   For a guy with chronic injury issues you would hope he and the team would be on it.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 11:19 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Reaaaaaad.  Ross is to small AND too soft".  ross plays small where as hill baldwin brown etc do not. hence the soft comment. 

yes ross did play more than eifert and green last year...but my point if u again read, was that ross hasnt even sniffed the production that both eifert and green have put up.  we know what both eifert and green can do in this league.  we havent seen anything that resembles anything close to a top 10 pick in john ross.  hes soft as a muffin plays small a one trick pony with inconsistent hands and still is having troubles grasping the offense.

everyone sings his praises cuz of 7 tds last year lol this dude was our 9th overall pick and we are slamming the table for 7 tds lol gimme a break dude.

one of ross's big question marks coming in was his size and whether or not he can stay healthy and well on his first carry in the league we saw why hes soft by getting blown up and coughing the ball up and then coupled with the fact the dude continues to be sidelined by an injury.  which of course bengaldom is saying its nothing serious and just a hamstring lol we all know we cant believe that and if u think hamstring problems just go away i feel sorry for you.  he will be dealing with his hamstring all year.  history shows that.  our linebacker group is garbage and ross is and never was worthy of a top 10 pick and hes proving that to be true.  im negative about those things and skeptic of those things to be true.  quit drinking the Koolaid man and be a true fan and call it how it is.

Trade ross now for a Linebacker and be done with it.  Erickson is much more consistent and competent WR

All I can say to this is that thank God the Bengals don't listed to a reactionary individual like yourself in these decisions.  Otherwise, they would have long cut TJ Houshmanzadeh after his first three years where he didn't stay healthy, had a grand total of 61 receptions in those first three years and 1 TD.  How about Chad Johnson?  He had 28 receptions and 1 TD in his first season.  

Those two ended up being two of the most productive receivers in club history.  Good thing the Bengals didn't give up on them.  
Reply/Quote
Chad has offered to work as a WR during camp....
Reply/Quote
Hated this pick and still do. This kid has had multiple chances to step up and prove himself and he either fails or gets hurt. He is the most unlucky player not named Eifert. The thing that drives me nuts with this kid other than the injuries is his lack of confidence. I guarantee you if he was drafted by Pitt he would be just as good as Juju ( which is the player I wanted that year) but can't stand the guy now. Ross needs to get his shit together, get healthy and man the f@&k Up.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 04:50 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: All I can say to this is that thank God the Bengals don't listed to a reactionary individual like yourself in these decisions.  Otherwise, they would have long cut TJ Houshmanzadeh after his first three years where he didn't stay healthy, had a grand total of 61 receptions in those first three years and 1 TD.  How about Chad Johnson?  He had 28 receptions and 1 TD in his first season.  

Those two ended up being two of the most productive receivers in club history.  Good thing the Bengals didn't give up on them.  

You know what they both had that Ross lacks? Confidence! That's the difference.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 08:43 PM)TKUHL Wrote: You know what they both had that Ross lacks? Confidence! That's the difference.

I agree about him lacking confidence. He needs to get out of his head, find his center and play ball. He has all the tools to be a good WR.
Reply/Quote
Then will he be shy about worrying that he will get injured every time he runs?
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 11:57 AM)Nately120 Wrote: And that's less of an outright jab at the guy and more just a reaction to his various issues.  Would it really floor us if Ross has 0 catches vs the Seahawks in week 1?  Most of us would just shrug.

It may be a gain. Someone else who might not otherwise have had an opportunity may shine and really produce.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 08:43 PM)TKUHL Wrote: You know what they both had that Ross lacks? Confidence! That's the difference.

Wrong.  Look back at what Kitna did with Chad.  He worked on his mind as much as his routes.  I can't really say about TJ, but he was not getting a ton done on the field and was a 7th rounder.  I think their confidence came with their production. 
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2019, 09:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Wrong.  Look back at what Kitna did with Chad.  He worked on his mind as much as his routes.  I can't really say about TJ, but he was not getting a ton done on the field and was a 7th rounder.  I think their confidence came with their production. 

Total Kitna fan.  Team player supreme and just a smart guy.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 04:50 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: All I can say to this is that thank God the Bengals don't listed to a reactionary individual like yourself in these decisions.  Otherwise, they would have long cut TJ Houshmanzadeh after his first three years where he didn't stay healthy, had a grand total of 61 receptions in those first three years and 1 TD.  How about Chad Johnson?  He had 28 receptions and 1 TD in his first season.  

lmao u cant be serious. "he had a grand total of 61 receptions in those first 3 years" actually it was 62 and remember he was a 7th round pick not the 9th overall pick who has 21 at the same spot that ur trying desperatly to defend lol yikes

Houshmazadeh going into his 3rd year was "active" and "played" in 28 games to ross only being "active" for 16 games, while not doing anything. housh also had "62" receptions to ross's 21 lol and had 700 plus yards to ross 221 lol...He had tripled his reception amount and almost nearly quadrupled his receiving yards amount lol couple all that with the fact that housh was drafted in the 7th damn round and we are still sitting around waiting for our soft injury prone 9th overall pick who lacks confidence. housh has never lacked confidence even at oregon state me being a pac 12 guy/pac 10 at the time. he always thought he was better than chad and that attitude wasnt predicated on his production.  housh had atleast showed potential and promise before a hamstring plagued his 3rd season and housh also didnt come into the league with injury concerns where as ross did and ross's injury problems have continue to follow him.  Ross has trade value still becuase of where he was drafted.  i dont see why we should wait around on a wish and prayer in ross when we could probably land a linebacker for him.  let him be someone else's problem.  if u think this kid is gonna be an antonio brown tyreke hill etc your in lala land and u need to share what ur smoking.  trade him and nab a linebacker imo while the value is still there... another piss poor injury plagued year from ross and his stock is in the toilet across the league.
Reply/Quote