Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
And the proactive offseason continues!
(08-29-2018, 12:04 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: But seriously, don't make me laugh; he set the modern-era record for most passes defensed by an olineman, in '16 and he's been the top 5 in DE pressures per snap since he was a rookie.

Not to mention, he's literally been a top 3 run defending DE since 2013 as well.

Sacks aren't everything.

I've always felt sacks are a bit overrated.

Granted putting pressure on the QB is the main job of a 4-3 DE but being disruptive, batting down passes, tackles for loss, and holding the edge are very important as well.

I'll take all of that and 12 sacks versus a guy with 20 sacks that does little else.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 03:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Other than keeping Marvin what can you really knock them for this offseason?

Only small thing I can think of is not taking a tackle in the mid-rounds of the draft...that's about it.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
And this deal just makes the off-season that much better. My hope continues to rise! I sooooo hope they are able to keep this positive momentum up and have a great season.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 09:31 PM)Beaker Wrote: Does this finally end the false narrative that the Bengals are always too cheap to re-sign vets?

I thought the narrative was we hanged onto them for to long (which has also been dispelled this off-season)? Either way, it's nice to see them making quality moves. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 10:02 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Only small thing I can think of is not taking a tackle in the mid-rounds of the draft...that's about it.

Agree,

I have nothing against Walton and who knows perhaps the guy will turn into a productive back, sure doesn't seem like it now.

But man a RT or RG even in the 4th rd. seems to make a lot more sense to me.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 09:56 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've always felt sacks are a bit overrated.

Granted putting pressure on the QB is the main job of a 4-3 DE but being disruptive, batting down passes, tackles for loss, and holding the edge are very important as well.

I'll take all of that and 12 sacks versus a guy with 20 sacks that does little else.

Even among 4-3 DE I think he's vastly overrated by Bengals fans the past 2 years. Dont get me wrong people, I love Dunlap and I'm glad they signed him but he just hasn't been as effective the past 2 years. Look at the stats. Maybe people just dont pay attention to what other teams do and think Bengals players are either top 5 at their position or bottom 5. But believe it or not there is a group in the middle and Dunlap has been in that group the past couple years. There's alot of really good DEs in the league. 

Pretty much all of the other good DEs do all of those things too. Just because most people dont watch the majority of nonBengals games doesnt mean they aren't happening. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 10:15 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree,

I have nothing against Walton and who knows perhaps the guy will turn into a productive back, sure doesn't seem like it now.

But man a RT or RG even in the 4th rd. seems to make a lot more sense to me.

I only vaguely remember that 4th round Oline prospects had enough faults to look at BPA instead. And that is why the draft team went with Walton, or that's what seemed like the reason. The pick still puzzles me though, what with Carson and Hill backing up Mixon and Bernard pretty well. Maybe someone can recall who was available instead of Walton that we could actually use right now. 
Then we can ride that moot point to the ground  Hilarious
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 03:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Other than keeping Marvin what can you really knock them for this offseason?

Keeping ML is a huge issue; not addressing the QB position (backup or possible future starter if they drafted one higher); Not addressing the right side of the OL are the three biggest. I would include keeping Lazor at OC I don't think he is as good as Hue or Gruden were so he is a step back (but we do have to wait and see).

The 'noise' we heard about perhaps mot being able to sign both Dunlap and Atkins was mostly from Hobson on the Bengals website. This team has lots of cap space if they chose to manage it like most other teams do. They are getting better at it, but we still have overpaid players on the roster - MJ, Hewitt, V Rey, Dre - that can help create more space. The right side of the OL is a wreck and for the left side and center there is zero depth. 

One other big issue - the team continues to work at being competitive but not to win a SB. This is a team philosophy that is quite evident by how they operate. yes we sign some of our own and yes we draft pretty well but we NEVER take the extra steps elite teams do. The most comical thing I heard in the offseason was ML saying that Mikey "talks about winning a SB every day" ; well talk is cheap. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 10:35 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: I only vaguely remember that 4th round Oline prospects had enough faults to look at BPA instead. And that is why the draft team went with Walton, or that's what seemed like the reason. The pick still puzzles me though, what with Carson and Hill backing up Mixon and Bernard pretty well. Maybe someone can recall who was available instead of Walton that we could actually use right now. 
Then we can ride that moot point to the ground  Hilarious

Yeah, totally a moot point...but somebody like Jamarco Jones, Rick Leonard was available in the fourth and should of provided good depth
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 10:54 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yeah, totally a moot point...but somebody like Jamarco Jones, Rick Leonard was available in the fourth and should of provided good depth

Oh yeah, remembering Jones a little bit. Maybe his shoulder injury gave cause for concern, but unless he disappointed during interviews I could see taking a long look at him. I'd trade Walton for him at the moment. Leonard is as raw as they come though, having only played OT since 2016. With that comes a longer developmental time than we have, since we seem to already have a couple/three of those. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 10:54 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yeah, totally a moot point...but somebody like Jamarco Jones, Rick Leonard was available in the fourth and should of provided good depth

I just can't understand how they could go through the draft and not take an offensive tackle knowing how weak that group was even with Glenn. There was plenty of NFL tape on Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Hart none of it good.

Orlando Brown instead of Jefferson, Jamarco Jones instead of Walton, or Tyrell Crosby instead of Harris...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 11:04 AM)Synric Wrote: I just can't understand how they could go through the draft and not take an offensive tackle knowing how weak that group was even with Glenn. There was plenty of NFL tape on Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Hart none of it good.

Orlando Brown instead of Jefferson, Jamarco Jones instead of Walton, or Tyrell Crosby instead of Harris...

Yes, and if there were specific players they were after on the OL they should not have sat back and waited for them - they should have made moves up to get them. Also, if the draft did not work out for the OL they liked, they should have been more aggressive with trades or free agents who could be better stop gap guys on the right side until they could re-build via several drafts. The Glenn trade was smart but the right side of the line remains very weak.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 10:02 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Only small thing I can think of is not taking a tackle in the mid-rounds of the draft...that's about it.

That’s fair. I think the Walton pick could have been better used, but I’m not sure who they should have taken there. Just not a RB.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 11:15 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s fair. I think the Walton pick could have been better used, but I’m not sure who they should have taken there. Just not a RB.

As I noted above your post, the pick could have been used along with others to move up in the draft to get the OL they liked on their board.

Reply/Quote
Good to see they got it done for both. Also good to see Geno's deal is front end heavy, since he is already 30 years old.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Well, we weren’t fixing the train wreck that was the Oline in one offseason, so I’d say it’s been a good start.

Reply/Quote
“On a great day to be a Bengals fan”. With the young guys, this D line is now set for at least the next 3 years. They need to draft OLine and LB next year. The Bengals front office has been way better than the Reds have been in the last several years. It’s too bad that baseball fans don’t wear bags on their heads, the Reds are what the Bengals were years ago.
Reply/Quote
Also, I figured that WLW would be all over this. It is the beginning of a new season. The host has been talking for the last hour about his gf wanting to get new dogs instead. Smh
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 11:32 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Also, I figured that WLW would be all over this. It is the beginning of a new season. The host has been talking for the last hour about his gf wanting to get new dogs instead. Smh

Drives me nuts when sports talk show hosts and podcast hosts do that.

I have no interest in their opinion about anything but the game, team or player.  They want to talk about their personal life, cute anecdotes, personal preferences or pet peeves.  At best they'll beat a "controversial behavior" story to death after it's already been hackneyed by the major networks.

And except for rare players I'm not interested in player interviews.  They're just going to be delivering a bunch of stereotypical platitudes with typical phraseology that basically says nothing of interest.

And I realize they do this every day, but there is a lot of things that people who do this for a living are aware of through their sources and what they get to observe that the rest of us who don't have the same access would be grateful to know.
Reply/Quote
Quote:ust because most people dont watch the majority of nonBengals games doesnt mean they aren't happening. 
Pics or they didn't happen.. I've always taken the stance that once MY teams are eliminated from playoffs the season is over and nothing else is happening until the following season.  That's my version of proactivity.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote