Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
And the proactive offseason continues!
(08-28-2018, 09:31 PM)Beaker Wrote: Does this finally end the false narrative that the Bengals are always too cheap to re-sign vets?

It should have ended 8 to 10 years ago, but still those that have to take shots at MB to boost their ego or something because zero facts to back up cheap comments last decade now.. One of best days in Bengals history signing these 2, but some still feel need to go off topic nd trash MB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 07:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I got a real strong feeling that someone else is being allowed to handle most of the GM duties.

Maybe its The Daughter of The Son of Paul that has finally taken over the reigns
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 09:12 PM)Sweetness Wrote: No but seriously. Like he hasn't even been close the past 2 years. 

But seriously, don't make me laugh; he set the modern-era record for most passes defensed by an dlineman, in '16 and he's been the top 5 in DE pressures per snap since he was a rookie.

Not to mention, he's literally been a top 3 run defending DE since 2013 as well.

Sacks aren't everything.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 12:04 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: But seriously, don't make me laugh; he set the modern-era record for most passes defensed by an olineman, in '16 and he's been the top 5 in DE pressures per snap since he was a rookie.

Not to mention, he's literally been a top 3 run defending DE since 2013 as well.

Sacks aren't everything.

I've been debating whether the Dunlap deal was the smartest move since he is a 29 year old man. But I tend to agree with you. The passes defensed and the pressures. He's a team leader. He won the Indy game last yway with a play very few DEs can make. I just hope cutting Iloka and Lafell opened enough cash up they can front load these guys contracts because we have some other guys who will be needing money soon.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 09:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: A lot of narratives are getting dispelled this offseason.

But too many remain
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
I must have missed the giant crowd of folks saying we'd never sign Atkins or Dunlap. Nervous

I know a lot of people thought it'd be difficult to retain both. Not because Mike doesn't resign his own though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
C'mon ...everyone knows that the really good players never want to play for the Bengals . They always leave for free agency.. 

Well, maybe not after all. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Two great moves. Geno is an amazing talent and will probably go down as one of the greatest Bengals ever. I thought Dunlap was a goner after the recent drafts, but I'm happy he'll be sticking around. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 12:04 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: But seriously, don't make me laugh; he set the modern-era record for most passes defensed by an olineman, in '16 and he's been the top 5 in DE pressures per snap since he was a rookie.

Sacks aren't everything.

Wait..Dunlap is a pass defending olineman?  Well that just solved our oline problem ! Defending against Andys passes..  Yeah, I'm just being a spell check Nazi.  lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 12:49 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: But too many remain

Other than keeping Marvin what can you really knock them for this offseason?

Reply/Quote
The emergence of Billings will really help Geno, yes, but with Geno and Billings both creating strong pressure up the middle, the quarterbacks will be more vulnerable to strong outside rushers like Carlos and the fast and aggressive Lawson. Further, our depth, with people like Glasgow and Hubbard should help keep us fresh.

D-line quickly becoming a real strength of the team.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 05:01 PM)Sweetness Wrote: That puts Dunlap around top 5 paid DE in the league for this year. Does the 1st year start this year or next year? Love that we're keeping him but he hasn't been a top 5 DE since 2015.

His production over the last three years is up there.  He is a consistent performer.  I think this year, with Geno playing as he is, Willis, Lawson, Hubbard, and Billings all stepping up around him, he will have one of his best statistical seasons ever. 

This also shows the younger guys on the team that if you do your job and are a consistent performer, the team will take care of you.

These signings (sorry if someone has already mentioned...haven't read all the responses yet) also are designed to pay heavy up front this year, so it will give the Bengals an easier time of re-signing AJ Green next year.  Excellent job, Bengals. 
Reply/Quote

Sacks aren't everything.

He also plays LDE, almost exclusively.  When the vast majority of QBs are right-handed, he isn't on their blind side.  He has to be stout in the run game, as you mentioned, and although I would much rather see him be potentially MORE explosive when used in more of a rotation, he has played a ridiculous percentage of the snaps at his position.  
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 01:26 AM)grampahol Wrote: Wait..Dunlap is a pass defending olineman?  Well that just solved our oline problem ! Defending against Andys passes..  Yeah, I'm just being a spell check Nazi.  lol

That contract is cheap for a Pro Bowl offensive linemen!  Maybe he is our new RT!  Always thought he played too many snaps, but now he is going both ways?  Wow.   Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 03:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Other than keeping Marvin what can you really knock them for this offseason?

I didn't want to take the bait, but I wonder if he is still butthurt over not paying Zeitler $12 million a year or paying Whit that kind of money when he was 35 years old.  

Regardless, when you said "this offseason" and took Marv off the table, I think you didn't give him anywhere to go.   Wink
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 09:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: A lot of narratives are getting dispelled this offseason.

Indeed.  I have been as harsh as anyone on this FO over the years, but I gotta give credit where it's due this year.  They've really done a solid job.  This really makes the Iloka cut make even more sense.  Kudos to the FO......I've rarely said that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 12:12 AM)Brimey Wrote: I've been debating whether the Dunlap deal was the smartest move since he is a 29 year old man. But I tend to agree with you. The passes defensed and the pressures. He's a team leader. He won the Indy game last yway with a play very few DEs can make. I just hope cutting Iloka and Lafell opened enough cash up they can front load these guys contracts because we have some other guys who will be needing money soon.

Another thing about Big Los......how many times have you seen him run a play down from behind?  He plays hard, with or without a pending contract.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 01:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I must have missed the giant crowd of folks saying we'd never sign Atkins or Dunlap.  Nervous

I know a lot of people thought it'd be difficult to retain both
. Not because Mike doesn't resign his own though.

Many went further than saying signing both would be tough, many said no way it will happen.

I try to never use words like always or never, they bite me right in the rump when I do.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 09:42 AM)Wyche Wrote: Another thing about Big Los......how many times have you seen him run a play down from behind?  He plays hard, with or without a pending contract.

Yup !

Remember the play couple seasons ago when he ran I believe it was a running back down from behind about 50 yards downfield ? Tackled him like inside our 10.

There's no quit in him
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 01:26 AM)grampahol Wrote: Wait..Dunlap is a pass defending olineman?  Well that just solved our oline problem ! Defending against Andys passes..  Yeah, I'm just being a spell check Nazi.  lol

GD autocorrect on my phone; I NEVER write Dlineman, but write the other quite a bit, hence why that happened :@

(08-29-2018, 07:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He also plays LDE, almost exclusively.  When the vast majority of QBs are right-handed, he isn't on their blind side.  He has to be stout in the run game, as you mentioned, and although I would much rather see him be potentially MORE explosive when used in more of a rotation, he has played a ridiculous percentage of the snaps at his position.  

Indeed!

And yes, even though he's been trotted out there a lot, he's still been superb.

(08-29-2018, 09:42 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Another thing about Big Los......how many times have you seen him run a play down from behind?  He plays hard, with or without a pending contract.

The fumble in San Francisco in 2015. Bam.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote