Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Andre Iosivas & Chase Brown article.
(07-03-2024, 11:28 AM)ochocincos Wrote: We'll see if he really is talent-wise, but most good NFL WRs put up 1000+ yards in at least one season in college.
I'm trying to think of a college WR who never hit that threshold in college that wasn't kept off the field due to injury or off-field problems.
I'm sure it's happened (Tyreek Hill, right?), but it's extremely rare.

AJ Green, off the top of my head.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2024, 11:28 AM)ochocincos Wrote: We'll see if he really is talent-wise, but most good NFL WRs put up 1000+ yards in at least one season in college.
I'm trying to think of a college WR who never hit that threshold in college that wasn't kept off the field due to injury or off-field problems.
I'm sure it's happened (Tyreek Hill, right?), but it's extremely rare.

My point though is let's not discount Charlie Jones from being a potentially good slot guy just because he didn't emerge in Year 1.
He has talent too.

Puka Nacau, Jaylen Waddle, Terry McLaurin, Mike Thomas, Chris Olave, Nico Collins, George Pickens, etc, etc.

If you look, you're going to find a lot more good NFL WR's that didn't put up 1k yards in college than good NFL WR's that were drafted on Day 3.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2024, 11:49 AM)Whatever Wrote: Puka Nacau, Jaylen Waddle, Terry McLaurin, Mike Thomas, Chris Olave, Nico Collins, George Pickens, etc, etc.

If you look, you're going to find a lot more good NFL WR's that didn't put up 1k yards in college than good NFL WR's that were drafted on Day 3.

None of those guys popped into my head to look up before I posted, so thank you. Rep for that.

While those are good players who did not have 1000+ yards in college, here are some WRs drafted in the 1st or 2nd round in recent drafts that have not (yet) become good-producing WRs in the NFL (700+ yards in a season)...

2021:
Kadarius Toney
Rashod Bateman
Elijah Moore
Rondale Moore
D'Wayne Eskeridge

2022:
Jahan Dotson
Treylon Burks
Christian Watson
Terrace Marshall
Wan'Dale Robinson
Tyquan Thornton
Alec Pierce
Skyy Moore

2023:
Quentin Johnston
Jonathan Mingo
Marvin Mims

Point being there's still plenty of early-round guys who don't blossom, especially not within their first 1-2 years.

I get being optimistic about Burton. There's a ton to like about him. I'm hopeful he pans out like many others are hoping.
But again, let's not already rule out Charlie Jones from slot or being a good NFL WR just because of his rookie year.
Now if he's through 3 years and still hasn't, I think there's enough to say if it hadn't happened yet it probably won't, but quite a number of players don't boom in Year 1 but come along in Year 2 or Year 3.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2024, 12:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: None of those guys popped into my head to look up before I posted, so thank you. Rep for that.

While those are good players who did not have 1000+ yards in college, here are some WRs drafted in the 1st or 2nd round in recent drafts that have not (yet) become good-producing WRs in the NFL (700+ yards in a season)...

2021:
Kadarius Toney
Rashod Bateman
Elijah Moore
Rondale Moore
D'Wayne Eskeridge

2022:
Jahan Dotson
Treylon Burks
Christian Watson
Terrace Marshall
Wan'Dale Robinson
Tyquan Thornton
Alec Pierce
Skyy Moore

2023:
Quentin Johnston
Jonathan Mingo
Marvin Mims

Point being there's still plenty of early-round guys who don't blossom, especially not within their first 1-2 years.

I get being optimistic about Burton. There's a ton to like about him. I'm hopeful he pans out like many others are hoping.
But again, let's not already rule out Charlie Jones from slot or being a good NFL WR just because of his rookie year.
Now if he's through 3 years and still hasn't, I think there's enough to say if it hadn't happened yet it probably won't, but quite a number of players don't boom in Year 1 but come along in Year 2 or Year 3.

Good points Ochocincos. I definitely am not throwing the thought of Charlie Jones taking the #3 job. Like you said, he is talented, very 
good athlete with great hands and he was injured his rookie year. My bet is still definitely on Jermaine Burton taking the #3 spot behind
Chase and Higgins, but Charlie Jones could surprise yah never know.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2024, 10:55 AM)jj22 Wrote: Clearly Bengals wasn't all that into Walker. Probably knew Ravens were looking for a wideout and likely wanted Burton. Bengals acted like they were interested in Walker so Ravens would think Burton would fall to them in the 4th where they wanted to select a wideout. Welcome to the game Walker.....

I think both guys ended up in perfect situations. Burton offers more versatility which is what the Bengals are looking for while Walker is that boundary vertical threat only guy that will fit will in Baltimore's heavy vertical playaction scheme with all their underneath weapons at TE. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2024, 06:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to Irwin, I would applaud his "production" as a positive. Dude was in the league 2 years and didn't have 4 catches.

I could easily see Charlie being WR#3 this year. 

I'm looking forward to the wide receiver competition this year and I expect it to continue into the season. What makes it interesting is Iosivas, Jones, Burton, and Irwin are all different so it's going to be fun to see how the coaches use each one early. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2024, 09:44 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think people are discounting Charlie Jones's potential just because he didn't bust onto the scene his rookie year as a WR.
Charlie Jones athletically is elite.
He was fantastic at Purdue his senior year, putting up 110 rec for 1361 yards and 12 TDs.
Jones was taken only one round later than Burton.
Both Jones and Burton are about the same long speed and height, but Jones looks to be even more twitchy.

I am not saying this to down Burton. I think Burton is very talented. I am merely pointing out that Jones has a lot of potential too, so don't let his rookie year in which he was primarily used as the PR result in people disregarding him as a contender for WR3.
At least for me, it's a truly open competition for the WR3-4 spots between Iosivas, Irwin, Burton, and Jones.
The Bengals, for the first time in a long time, actually look to have really good WR depth.
I'm excited to see this WR position battle pan out this August.

I watched a lot of Burton in college, I think he is levels above Jones.  Had Burton played at Purdue or Iowa his numbers would have been much higher.  

Jones had one really good year at Purdue.  Burton was good at UGA and Bama with much deeper WR rooms and much heavier running games.

I hope Jones is excellent but I expect much more out of Burton.  

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2024, 04:21 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I watched a lot of Burton in college, I think he is levels above Jones.  Had Burton played at Purdue or Iowa his numbers would have been much higher.  

Jones had one really good year at Purdue.  Burton was good at UGA and Bama with much deeper WR rooms and much heavier running games.

One thing that was a detriment to Jones is that he bounced around 3 teams - Buffalo, Iowa, and Purdue.
For why Jones went to Purdue, he said he believed Purdue was the place to best showcase his receiving abilities, despite having opportunities to transfer to Michigan, Notre Dame, or Auburn among others.

We'll have to see how both Jones and Burton pan out, but I liked what Jones did at Purdue.
He came in and hit the ground running in that offense.
If just one of Burton or Jones really comes on as a WR, the Bengals will have won.
Ideally though, Bengals hit on both (and/or Iosivas) because Higgins prolly isn't getting a long-term extension.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2024, 04:21 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I watched a lot of Burton in college, I think he is levels above Jones.  Had Burton played at Purdue or Iowa his numbers would have been much higher.  

Don’t know this to be the case but… If I’m Isovias, Burton,or Jones I’m making damn sure I bring my “A” game in meetings, practice, and games. There’s a huge opportunity with Tee likely gone.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

And I agree about Burton > Jones. Burton is going to be a knothead as a Bengal. Just as long it’s just stupid stuff not bad stuff.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote