Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andre Smith?
I don't think I've seen even a hint of any action around anyone signing him? Is it a total lack of interest or has he set the price tag too high for himself

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
He sucks. That's probably the most important thing over price. He's been pretty awful the last two years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think that he just happened to pick a bad year to be a free agent Tackle.  There have been a lot of really good Tackles in the past few drafts, most teams are pretty well set.  I predict he will field offers a little less than he was making with the Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Remember he didn't sign back until draft day last time he was a free agent. Seems he has a quiet market again.

Hobson keeps hinting we are moving on. Which depending on the price doesn't make sense. If he comes cheap sign him up.

If Winston is protecting Dalton at any point this year and we could have had Andre doing it instead for just a little more. I will be pissed.

Ravens and Browns need OL help..
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 12:14 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He sucks. That's probably the most important thing over price. He's been pretty awful the last two years.

(03-10-2016, 12:16 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that he just happened to pick a bad year to be a free agent Tackle.  There have been a lot of really good Tackles in the past few drafts, most teams are pretty well set.  I predict he will field offers a little less than he was making with the Bengals.

Both of these. 

He's not that great. We had backups doing as well (granted in limited duty) whenever he would go down (which wasn't uncommon). Average play, high dollar, injury problems and some decent linemen coming out of college the last few years. Not good for Smith's paycheck.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 12:54 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Remember he didn't sign back until draft day last time he was a free agent. Seems he has a quiet market again.

Hobson keeps hinting we are moving on. Which depending on the price doesn't make sense. If he comes cheap sign him up.

If Winston is protecting Dalton at any point this year and we could have had Andre doing it instead for just a little more. I will be pissed.

Ravens and Browns need OL help..

Makes plenty of sense. You already have a 1st or 2nd round backup tackle. Why would you need another backup for even say.. $3-4m/yr? Even less so when that guy can ONLY backup RT and even then not do particularly well.

If Winston is protecting Dalton, it means not one, but two starting tackles have gone down and the Bengals are in big trouble regardless because Winston was signed mostly as a backup guard. As a tackle he's 4th on the depth chart.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 01:01 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Makes plenty of sense. You already have a 1st or 2nd round backup tackle. Why would you need another backup for even say.. $3-4m/yr? Even less so when that guy can ONLY backup RT and even then not do particularly well.

If Winston is protecting Dalton, it means not one, but two starting tackles have gone down and the Bengals are in big trouble regardless because Winston was signed mostly as a backup guard. As a tackle he's 4th on the depth chart.

Is that why he started 2 games at T last year? And is listed as a T on the roster? And now we are letting the guy he was backing up walk. Zeitler is a free agent after next year. If he walks Fisher and Ogbuehi would make a fine right side. Problem is Whit is a free agent too after this year. He can't do it forever. Maybe sign Winston back for 2017 too?

How would Andre go from starter to ONLY being a backup and not doing it well? He played LT at Bama. He could play G. His forte is run blocking.

Fisher didn't set the world on fire. And Ogbuehi is supposed to be our future at LT. And like I said Zeitler is up after this year. And everyone wants Bodine replaced.

Say whatever you want. Andre was a starting tackle on a team that's offense was on fire last year. And without good tackle play there is no offensive fireworks.

We make all of our draft picks earn it. But for some reason our only veteran competition at RT is going to be Winston?

We have plenty of money to spend. If he only cost 3 million it is well worth it instead of letting our OL depth go to hell.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 12:55 AM)Benton Wrote: Both of these. 

He's not that great. We had backups doing as well (granted in limited duty) whenever he would go down (which wasn't uncommon). Average play, high dollar, injury problems and some decent linemen coming out of college the last few years. Not good for Smith's paycheck.

I disagree.  After getting assbagged in the head by steeler Shazier, he was out for the Texans game.  Watt was having no success against Whit, so he would simply line up against Winston...game over.  
Reply/Quote
Hes going to want too much for an overrated RT. I think were moving on.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I wonder how well he could transition to guard? Especially if he's not making a ton of money.
Reply/Quote
He is on a visit to the Vikings today.
Reply/Quote
If the price is right, bag him, if not, move on.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 12:11 AM)pally Wrote: I don't think I've seen even a hint of any action around anyone signing him? Is it a total lack of interest or has he set the price tag too high for himself

same thing as last time he hit the market he overvalues his self.

I dont see him coming back even if we got a good deal as we have his replacement waiting.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 09:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I disagree.  After getting assbagged in the head by steeler Shazier, he was out for the Texans game.  Watt was having no success against Whit, so he would simply line up against Winston...game over.  

Watt was having success against everyone that game. But I was thinking about the 2014 game against the Texans. Smith went out in the first with a triceps injury and Watt got shut down by our bench. When you get shown up by Marshall Newhouse, you don't need to be getting starter snaps.
Reply/Quote
Just read on NFL network that Smith is scheduled to visit with the Vikings today.

Here is a link confirming: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000643169/article/visits-tracker-chris-long-to-meet-with-falcons
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 12:54 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If Winston is protecting Dalton at any point this year and we could have had Andre doing it instead for just a little more. I will be pissed.

Winston was signed for league minimum.

Dre may not have a lot of interest yet, but he won't sign for anywhere near that cheap.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 01:28 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote:
Is that why he started 2 games at T last year?
And is listed as a T on the roster? And now we are letting the guy he was backing up walk. Zeitler is a free agent after next year. If he walks Fisher and Ogbuehi would make a fine right side. Problem is Whit is a free agent too after this year. He can't do it forever. Maybe sign Winston back for 2017 too?

How would Andre go from starter to ONLY being a backup and not doing it well? He played LT at Bama. He could play G. His forte is run blocking.

Fisher didn't set the world on fire. And Ogbuehi is supposed to be our future at LT. And like I said Zeitler is up after this year. And everyone wants Bodine replaced.

Say whatever you want. Andre was a starting tackle on a team that's offense was on fire last year. And without good tackle play there is no offensive fireworks.

We make all of our draft picks earn it. But for some reason our only veteran competition at RT is going to be Winston?

We have plenty of money to spend. If he only cost 3 million it is well worth it instead of letting our OL depth go to hell.

Because obviously the situation now is completely the same as the situation at that time, right?

Ogbuehi wasn't ready yet (didn't play until Week 13) now he is. Not to mention I think you really need to go back and re-look at one of those two games that Winston started. The Bengals had 6 starting OL in week 10, one of which was Fisher.

Now you have the 1st and 2nd round picks from 2015 ready to start and even then only one of them can, so you don't need THREE backup tackles.

Andre was not the reason the offense was good last year. He played terribly. He is not good, stop living in 2012.

Reply/Quote
Trust me.. Winston was not signed as a backup guard.. he was signed as a backup tackle that can slide to guard also.  His status will not change much.. especially with Fisher probably playing a bit more TE since Eiffert will be split out even more this year.
Reply/Quote
If Eric Winston plays any tackle, we're in trouble with injuries. We have 3 solid tackles and Winston isn't one of them. He was signed for his versatility and veteran presence. If he actually plays meaningful snaps, we're in trouble.
Reply/Quote
Time to cut ties with Andre Smith. They drafted his replacement last year and re-signed his veteran backup in Winston.

Use that cap space elsewhere.
Reply/Quote