Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andre Smith liking it at Guard
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/6/25/15861962/andre-smith-discusses-switch-right-guard

Smith says he likes the challenge of learning a new position, and believes that going against Geno Atkins in practice will have him prepared to handle the best the NFL has to offer.

Now, the kiss of death?

Quote:“I think Andre has a chance to be terrific at guard,” offensive line coach Paul Alexander told Dan Hoard of Bengals.com.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I hope he settles in and excels at the position.

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2017, 12:07 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I hope he settles in and excels at the position.

Yeah, I actually think that he will do very well at Guard.  He speaks about things being faster paced at Guard, and he's right.  For example, in pass pro, he'll be initiating the action, rather than reacting to what the End or LB is going to do, when he played at Tackle.

I think that it will be a big advantage for Smith to get his hands on a defender, before they have a chance to cause him to move off balance.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2017, 12:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that it will be a big advantage for Smith to get his hands on a defender, before they have a chance to cause him to move off balance.

Oh crap. I think you uncovered an underlying issue. Didn't he struggle in the past with holding penalties?

Reply/Quote
I'm cautiously optimistic. I thought he had the body to play RG from day 1. Could have been a pro-bowler at OG instead of a serviceable OT.
Reply/Quote
I am more worried about Andre Smith's health than his ability.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2017, 02:00 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am more worried about Andre Smith's health than his ability.

This
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2017, 12:15 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Oh crap. I think you uncovered an underlying issue. Didn't he struggle in the past with holding penalties?

He did struggle with holding penalties, in pass protection.  Fast edge rushers would beat him to the corner, get him off balance, and he was forced to grab.  However, in run blocking, when he could initiate the contact, he is very tough.  At Guard, there is no room for a DT to run the edge, so every play is in the proverbial "phone booth", giving Smith an advantage.

With Guards and DTs lined up a little closer to each other than Ends and Tackles, there is less shock impact on the shoulders, so his repaired shoulder has a better chance of holding up, as well.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2017, 05:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He did struggle with holding penalties, in pass protection.  Fast edge rushers would beat him to the corner, get him off balance, and he was forced to grab.  However, in run blocking, when he could initiate the contact, he is very tough.  At Guard, there is no room for a DT to run the edge, so every play is in the proverbial "phone booth", giving Smith an advantage.

With Guards and DTs lined up a little closer to each other than Ends and Tackles, there is less shock impact on the shoulders, so his repaired shoulder has a better chance of holding up, as well.

Great breakdown.

Reply/Quote
Andre Smith signed a 1 year, $3,250,000 contract with the Bengals

I dont get this.

They are obviously taking a risk on the guy, who is 30, coming off injury, but has performed well in the past. High draft pick, etc.

So like, the O line is a huge weakness of the team - very obvious.

So, lets just say Smith becomes a really really good Guard, which I think is possible - Why isnt there an mutual or team option on the deal for a second year, something like 5-6 million for the option year.

It seems so short sided not to at least hedge that this flier may be a success, then you'd have him back for next year at a bargain. Otherwise, opt out and void the option.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2017, 07:01 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: It seems so short sided not to at least hedge that this flier may be a success, then you'd have him back for next year at a bargain. Otherwise, opt out and void the option.

Yeah, it does.

Reply/Quote
Coming out of college, Smith was the prototype for a RG prospect.

He was talented enough to play RT and, thankfully, he lived up to his potential in that regard, but I always felt that he would have been an amazing guard, since his only perceived weakness was extreme speed around the corner, which isn't a thing for a guard.

I'm glad he's back and looking forward to seeing him play at guard. His health is basically the only thing I'm concerned about.
Reply/Quote
Think he would be a better guard than tackle anyway.

But as others have pointed out it is his health and durability that is concerning.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2017, 12:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I actually think that he will do very well at Guard.  He speaks about things being faster paced at Guard, and he's right.  For example, in pass pro, he'll be initiating the action, rather than reacting to what the End or LB is going to do, when he played at Tackle.

I think that it will be a big advantage for Smith to get his hands on a defender, before they have a chance to cause him to move off balance.
Great analysis.

Similar to what you said with having to react to the move of the end or backer at tackle, being inside also means that there will be less room for them to make a move (i.e. spin, swim, tougher to bullrush, etc.) and will be easier for him to use his size and strength, as opposed to having to move more like he would have to at tackle.
(06-25-2017, 02:00 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am more worried about Andre Smith's health than his ability.
Fair, but being a guard also means that he has to move a lot less, which is very beneficial for his health.  

Let's also hope that he's matured and is taking better care of his body.  

Being injured most of last season may have done his body well in giving it time to rest and giving him time to (hopefully) be in great condition.
(06-25-2017, 07:01 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Andre Smith signed a 1 year, $3,250,000 contract with the Bengals

I dont get this.

They are obviously taking a risk on the guy, who is 30, coming off injury, but has performed well in the past.  High draft pick, etc.

So like, the O line is a huge weakness of the team - very obvious.

So, lets just say Smith becomes a really really good Guard, which I think is possible -   Why isnt there an mutual or team option on the deal for a second year, something like 5-6 million for the option year.

It seems so short sided not to at least hedge that this flier may be a success, then you'd have him back for next year at a bargain.  Otherwise, opt out and void the option.
He probably wouldn't do it because he thinks that he could have a big year that will allow him to demand a big contract next year in free agency, but teams aren't going to spend a lot of money on a guy with injury history that had one good year out of position.  

Like I've said before, I'm feeling a lot better about our offensive line.
Reply/Quote
Well he isn't injured yet, so that's something.

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2017, 05:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He did struggle with holding penalties, in pass protection.  Fast edge rushers would beat him to the corner, get him off balance, and he was forced to grab.  However, in run blocking, when he could initiate the contact, he is very tough.  At Guard, there is no room for a DT to run the edge, so every play is in the proverbial "phone booth", giving Smith an advantage.

(06-25-2017, 11:20 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Think he would be a better guard than tackle anyway.

But as others have pointed out it is his health and durability that is concerning.

I've got high hopes for Andre. It also can't be ignored that he came back to us wanting to be a team captain. That's a new Andre. Maybe he said those things recognizing that we've lost THE team leader in Whit. Andre's a vet, and he knows what Marvin expects from him. Props for that.

That said, the injury issue makes me glad that we have Westerman and Redmund in the wings as young backups. Andre might not even end up starting, although for the money we're paying him, you'd have to expect that he'd have to seriously suck for Mike (Marvin) to start one of the young guys in  front of him. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2017, 12:18 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I'm cautiously optimistic. I thought he had the body to play RG from day 1. Could have been a pro-bowler at OG instead of a serviceable OT.

This is a great point.  I felt that way about Cam Robinson, who I was hoping we would take in the 2nd if he continued to fall.  He would have been a younger, healthier version of Smith.  However, I think the real beauty of Smith is he was a part of the Ogbuehi backup plan.  If Ced stinks up the joint, they won't be waiting until week 13 (or whatever it was) to bench him.  They will shift Fisher to LT and move Andre to RT, giving Westerman/Redmond a battle to win the RG position.

I hope to heaven it doesn't happen, but I am all about having a contingency plan.  If Andre kills it at RG, I bet the Bengals don't re-sign him and he gets paid a ton to play RG elsewhere and turns in to a very nice compensatory pick.  That would be a pretty good deal for one year at what they are paying him.  
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2017, 11:49 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/6/25/15861962/andre-smith-discusses-switch-right-guard

Smith says he likes the challenge of learning a new position, and believes that going against Geno Atkins in practice will have him prepared to handle the best the NFL has to offer.

Now, the kiss of death?

Oh no..... Twitch

Andre has a point, if he can at least slow down Geno, he should be able to slow down about anyone in the league at a bare minimum.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 09:15 AM)Wyche Wrote: Oh no..... Twitch

Andre has a point, if he can at least slow down Geno, he should be able to slow down about anyone in the league at a bare minimum.

Exactly.  Stopping, or at least slowing, the inside rush from the likes of pittsburgh, etc. will be critical for Andre.  Where I feel he will be an improvement is shoving someone back in run blocking and getting two or three yards on 3rd and 2.  
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 09:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Exactly.  Stopping, or at least slowing, the inside rush from the likes of pittsburgh, etc. will be critical for Andre.  Where I feel he will be an improvement is shoving someone back in run blocking and getting two or three yards on 3rd and 2.  

Absolutely....I think he'll be ok in pass pro, and should have no issue in run blocking.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote