Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andre Smith reunion
(03-11-2017, 01:50 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: For life beyond Whit and Andre. Whit was what 33 when we drafted them? No spring chicken.

When Andre was on top of his weight and committed he was a great tackle but he was a wild card at times. Why do you think 31 other teams passed on him his first go around in FA?

The idea that the Bengals didn't re-sign Smith to excuse the pick is ridiculous Mike and the FO don't give two craps about what the public thinks of their moves and there was nothing to excuse they went with the BPA based off of their bored. I don't remember anybody predicting we'd be in this spot after drafting a tackle in the first 2 rounds back then.

This is very true.  Ridiculous Mike doesn't care what his team's fans think.  Or how teams that consistently win operate or what the path to a SB really looks like.  Ridiculous Mike thinks he's a genius, despite a mountain of evidence to the contrary.  Ridiculous Mike is, well, ridiculous.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 01:19 PM)Beaker Wrote: I dont want Smith back. The only possible reason I could see him back is at a very low number and as a backup.

He will definitely be cheap, so that shouldn't be an issue.  Bring him in and let him compete for a starting job at RT or RG.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 01:50 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: For life beyond Whit and Andre. Whit was what 33 when we drafted them? No spring chicken.

When Andre was on top of his weight and committed he was a great tackle but he was a wild card at times. Why do you think 31 other teams passed on him his first go around in FA?

The idea that the Bengals didn't re-sign Smith to excuse the pick is ridiculous Mike and the FO don't give two craps about what the public thinks of their moves and there was nothing to excuse they went with the BPA based off of their bored. I don't remember anybody predicting we'd be in this spot after drafting a tackle in the first 2 rounds back then.

This is just proof that, even when they have the right idea, they lack the competence to carry it out.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
We need him... as sad as that is...
Reply/Quote
That would be a decent move to help fix this mess of an o line. Throw in mangold and a draft pick and who knows, with a little luck we may only suck as much as we did last year
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 01:56 PM)McC Wrote: This is just proof that, even when they have the right idea, they lack the competence to carry it out.
So who's responsible? I haven't heard anyone call out Tobin.

It'd be proof until you realize that the draft is statistically stacked against you and that it's too soon to label either of these players. You can comment on what they've done to this point but it's too soon to define them.

Having a sound plan is half the battle in the NFL were nothing is certain. Were the Bengals failed was having too much faith in young prospects with no other viable alternative.
Reply/Quote

Whit I understood planning for. Andre was a good player for us from 2012 up to the point he departed. The lack of a substantial market for him was something I viewed as a positive for us. It made him very affordable and easy to retain, unlike guys like Whit and Zeitler. I prefer judging our players on how they perform rather than what their market was. The only reason you're using his market is because you know he played well for us and age can't be an excuse either.

They weren't planning for replacing Andre. They let Andre walk because they drafted 2 tackles and had to get them on the field somehow.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 02:15 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: So who's responsible? I haven't heard anyone call out Tobin.

It'd be proof until you realize that the draft is statistically stacked against you and that it's too soon to label either of these players. You can comment on what they've done to this point but it's too soon to define them.

Having a sound plan is half the battle in the NFL were nothing is certain. Were the Bengals failed was having too much faith in young prospects with no other viable alternative.

Two people are to blame--Paul Alexander and whoever decided they should listen to him.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 11:59 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Apparently Dre Kirkpatrick is letting the cat out of the bag that Andre "Man Boobs" Smith might be coming back here. If he's healthy I'm ok with it, right now I'm in full desperation mode with the line.

All for it. Andre would even be good at RG for us and would be great insurance at both Tackle spots.

Bring in Mangold too. We need 2 OL now that we let 2 go. Just the way it goes.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Different blocking schemes, new teammates, new opponents. He also could've been playing injured...who knows? Unless injuries have taken a toll, I have confidence in the guy. He certainly never was a turnstile like Ogbuehi.

I'm okay with this retread...the Bengal way is all too familiar though.
BTW Smith has a long history of injuries.
Reply/Quote
Andre Smith was the missing ingredient in 2016. Even injured, slow, overweight, and with a rack the size of Rhode Island he is a serious upgrade over either Cedric Ogbuehi or Eric Winston.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 02:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All for it. Andre would even be good at RG for us and would be great insurance at both Tackle spots.

Bring in Mangold too. We need 2 OL now that we let 2 go. Just the way it goes.

Yeah, Rapien just posted about Smith and Mangold as possibilities. I say bring both in and see what happens. 

If Andre is healthy and has a solid camp/preseason, then the RT spot is addressed, and maybe Fisher can nail down RG.

Let Mangold compete with Bodine for the starting C gig. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:07 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, Rapien just posted about Smith and Mangold as possibilities. I say bring both in and see what happens. 

If Andre is healthy and has a solid camp/preseason, then the RT spot is addressed, and maybe Fisher can nail down RG.

Let Mangold compete with Bodine for the starting C gig. 

Down with this Holic. Then draft a Center to be groomed under Mangold for when Bodine's time is up.

We might be alright if we do this.
Reply/Quote
Although they won't, at this point I would bring in both Smith and Mangold. It gives us some flexibility in case Westerman is not ready (as he has no NFL experience to speak of). We could (as posted upthread) insert Smith at RG next to Fisher and Mangold at C. Of course it leaves the 800 lb gorilla issues unsolved - Og as the LT Sad. But if Og fails again (fairly likely) you flip Fisher to LT and Andre at RT and at that point see what Westerman has.
Reply/Quote
I've always been a fan of Andre 350. Of course this would make me happy as I suggested it in another thread.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:17 PM)Joelist Wrote: Although they won't, at this point I would bring in both Smith and Mangold. It gives us some flexibility in case Westerman is not ready (as he has no NFL experience to speak of). We could (as posted upthread) insert Smith at RG next to Fisher and Mangold at C. Of course it leaves the 800 lb gorilla issues unsolved - Og as the LT Sad. But if Og fails again (fairly likely) you flip Fisher to LT and Andre at RT and at that point see what Westerman has.

You know it Joelist. spot on dude. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 01:55 PM)McC Wrote: This is very true.  Ridiculous Mike doesn't care what his team's fans think.  Or how teams that consistently win operate or what the path to a SB really looks like.  Ridiculous Mike thinks he's a genius, despite a mountain of evidence to the contrary.  Ridiculous Mike is, well, ridiculous.

Ridiculous Mike......I like the sound of that...... Hmm

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 01:55 PM)McC Wrote: Ridiculous Mike doesn't care what his team's fans think. 

Nor should he.
Reply/Quote
Was not really wanting him back. Never disliked him but felt that ship had sailed.

But no doubt he will be reasonably priced with a chance for high return in value if healthy.

Plus we are desperate.

Think it will work out about the same as bringing MJ back though.

Ok, but not quite the same cat that left us.

So yes, bring him back and continue shopping.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:34 PM)Beaker Wrote: Nor should he.

Yeah, right.  Why would a business owner care what his customers think?

Reply/Quote