Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andre Smith reunion
(03-11-2017, 04:38 PM)McC Wrote: Yeah, right.  Why would a business owner care what his customers think?

Because his customers can shop somewhere else if they don't like his product.
Reply/Quote
I always rooted for Andre and was happy when he was drafted. Then there was the way his contract was handled, the injuries, etc. before he grew into a really good RT. At this point, I'm not sure I can get too excited about him coming back though. He seems to have had a lot of injuries, and those don't get better with age. He is hurt a lot, and his play seems to have really dropped off even when he isn't.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:39 PM)Beaker Wrote: Because his customers can shop somewhere else if they don't like his product.
No,  Because he's wrapped in the warm and tender cocoon of revenue sharing.  We're talking about a man whose greatest accomplishment was being born.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:07 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, Rapien just posted about Smith and Mangold as possibilities. I say bring both in and see what happens. 

If Andre is healthy and has a solid camp/preseason, then the RT spot is addressed, and maybe Fisher can nail down RG.

Let Mangold compete with Bodine for the starting C gig. 

I would much rather seem then take the top rated center, whomever that is.  They have 11 draft picks, so there is plenty of "capital" to do it.  Would be much cheaper than Mangold, a long term solution, and I've heard that Mangold is a shell of his former self.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 01:50 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: For life beyond Whit and Andre. Whit was what 33 when we drafted them? No spring chicken.

When Andre was on top of his weight and committed he was a great tackle but he was a wild card at times. Why do you think 31 other teams passed on him his first go around in FA?

The idea that the Bengals didn't re-sign Smith to excuse the pick is ridiculous Mike and the FO don't give two craps about what the public thinks of their moves and there was nothing to excuse they went with the BPA based off of their bored. I don't remember anybody predicting we'd be in this spot after drafting a tackle in the first 2 rounds back then.

Uh, hey, I may be a little off here, man, but... Don't 31 other teams always pass on any FA that signs? I mean, a player can only sign with 1 team at a time.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:59 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Uh, hey, I may be a little off here, man, but... Don't 31 other teams always pass on any FA that signs? I mean, a player can only sign with 1 team at a time.

Obviously. LOL

Andre Smith went out onto the market hoping to get paid a lot more than he ended up getting because nobody was interested.He sat around most of the FA period with no offers and ended up back in Cincy.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:53 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I would much rather seem then take the top rated center, whomever that is.  They have 11 draft picks, so there is plenty of "capital" to do it.  Would be much cheaper than Mangold, a long term solution, and I've heard that Mangold is a shell of his former self.

Nick Mangold, even a shell of his former self, is still light years ahead of Russell Bodine.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 02:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Whit I understood planning for. Andre was a good player for us from 2012 up to the point he departed. The lack of a substantial market for him was something I viewed as a positive for us. It made him very affordable and easy to retain, unlike guys like Whit and Zeitler. I prefer judging our players on how they perform rather than what their market was. The only reason you're using his market is because you know he played well for us and age can't be an excuse either.

They weren't planning for replacing Andre. They let Andre walk because they drafted 2 tackles and had to get them on the field somehow.

Do you think the Bengals just panicked and accidentally submitted in 2 tackles on draft day without a plan? Andre wasn't all the dependable. He had moments were he shined and was a beast at run blocking during those times but his level of play wasn't consistent and he struggled at pass blocking from time to time. I think we should've kept Andre on the roster a little bit longer but he wasn't irreplaceable and he could've been upgraded. They brought Andre back because it was convenient to bring back a solid RT who knows the program and just got a dose of humble pie when he failed to find a match on the FA market.

Same as before Marvin and Mike don't care about getting players on the field in a timely manner in fact it's the opposite they are fine with letting first round picks ride the pine for years. Nothing is forcing them to put a player out on to the field before they want or need to. Look at our CBs example it's a prime moment to cut Adam Jones and put a first round pick on the field but we're not.
Reply/Quote
Signing Smith would be odd to me. The Bengals just re-signed Winston to back up RT. Isn't Fisher supposed to get the start at RT? Could Smith play anything besides RT?

It seems like the Bengals would have three RTs or Andre or Fisher would have to move inside to RG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Smith is an unrestricted free agent. Hobson wrote yesterday that the Bengals are not signing any unrestricted free agents because it will endanger their precious comp picks.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 06:23 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Smith is an unrestricted free agent. Hobson wrote yesterday that the Bengals are not signing any unrestricted free agents because it will endanger their precious comp picks.

Such a stupid reason. We're getting 11 picks, how they hell are we going to find roster spots for 9 more next year.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 06:23 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Smith is an unrestricted free agent.  Hobson wrote yesterday that the Bengals are not signing any unrestricted free agents because it will endanger their precious comp picks.

This is the first thing that came to mind.  They're already all in on that plan, it would be insane to turn from it now, no matter if we like it or not.  You don't want anyone messing up the two 3rds that Zeitler and Whit should net.  Depending on the contacts, some of the other guys like Peko and Dansby fetch a very late round (6th or 7th) pick.  So to literally NOT lose any of the max 4 comp picks the plan would be for, they'd have to lose those two plus a guy like Hunt or Burkhead and have all of them be paid more than Smith just for the hope to not "lose" a pick.  Then you have the usage rate that didn't seem to come into play as much with this year's announcements, but if the plan for him is to compete at RG or RT it's very possible to have that trump the 4th guy they lose.

Two guys I want to call attention to for anyone that can help me with this is Marshall Newhouse and Jermain Gresham.  I remember we were worried about the Newhouse signing of around a million dollars negating a pick, it would take well above that to land Smith.  I just can't remember if his signing cancelled a pick, I'm thinking no it didn't.  Also, I seem to remember that they lost Gresham so late in the offseason to Arizona that they didn't get a comp pick for him.  So for any of us rooting for this reunion, it may take him sitting on the market either not getting the job opening or money he wants, or not being able to pass a team's physical. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 06:46 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Such a stupid reason. We're getting 11 picks, how they hell are we going to find roster spots for 9 more next year.

I really wouldn't have such a problem with it if the FO were creative in this draft and next in packaging picks to get say more of the 2nd-4th round range players.  You're right in that they're going to have issues fitting those players onto the 53 if they stand pat.  Unless we keep seeing them lose all of their own guys smh.  I have no issue having a descent player destroy getting a 7th, but the worst thing they could do now is say pay a few UFA's and lose one of those really high picks they'll get from Whitworth and Zeitler.   
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:07 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, Rapien just posted about Smith and Mangold as possibilities. I say bring both in and see what happens. 

If Andre is healthy and has a solid camp/preseason, then the RT spot is addressed, and maybe Fisher can nail down RG.

Let Mangold compete with Bodine for the starting C gig. 

I bet Mangold being old and shitfaced would outplay our current center.

Smith would pass Obi-no-kenobie on the depth chart faster than a fun size bag of candy.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 05:55 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Do you think the Bengals just panicked and accidentally submitted in 2 tackles on draft day without a plan?

I think they went BPA and then adjusted their plans accordingly.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 07:18 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Smith would pass Obi-no-kenobie on the depth chart faster than a fun size bag of candy.

Andre can play left tackle, too. It's his natural position from his days at Alabama.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 01:43 PM)McC Wrote: Fred's just picking fights.  It's his go to.

I am all for bringing Andre back. He can only be an improvement over Ogbeuhi 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:38 PM)McC Wrote: Yeah, right.  Why would a business owner care what his customers think?

He probably does care, but since when has every fan ever been on the same page of what the team should do or not do? 
Hell, there are probably a few fans who think they should cut Dalton and sign J. Football as the starting QB. Just because some fans think something doesn't mean Brown should do exactly what they think. 
More than a few people on this very forum have said they need to cut or trade AJ Green. Obviously Mike Brown doesn't care what we all think or AJ would have been traded already.  ..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
andre is only as good as his backup. If he's coming back as a backup, sure. If not, then he's only as good as Fischer.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 09:12 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Andre can play left tackle, too.  It's his natural position from his days at Alabama.

I'm not sure that it is fair to bring up him playing LT in college.  He often demonstrated that he struggles with speed rushers, when he was a Bengal.  He's pretty good in run blocking, and holds his own in pass pro when a TE is lined up next to him.  Not to mention his propensity to be chronically injured.  The Vikings gave him a fair contract, and got four (4) games of service from him last season.

While the optimist in us might think that bringing in an "evil we know", like Andre Smith, might provide some benefit to the team, in reality it may actually be taking steps backward.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote