Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Andrei Iosivas-GMFB love
(08-07-2023, 01:54 PM)Synric Wrote: The three starters are locked and I would guess #4 Charlie Jones is locked but other than that the other 2 or 3 spots are wide open. I would guess Iosivas, Irwin, and Morgan maybe Shedrick Jackson over Morgan depending on special teams.

I disagree Irwin is a pretty much lock, and i see them going with 6, Morgan is a excellent special team player, realistic he is a practice squad player but we will see
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2023, 06:02 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: In terms of ST, his replacement does not have to be a WR, it could be a DB. Someone like Tycen Anderson or Ivey. 

This.
Those two young men would be a terror on ST's.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Obviously bolstering the WR depth was on the to do list during the draft. Why in the world would we cut a young, raw, rookie WR who we just drafted because of his enticing physically traits that could be special with development?

Barring injury I think our 6 are Chase, Tee, Boyd, TI, Charlie, and Iosivas. Morgan might get claimed by Belichik or something if we cut him and go on to another 10 years in the league as a special teamer. But if he needs to be a target for Joe Burrow I don't have much confidence. To me I'm fine with moving on. Trent Taylor has a shot depending on Charlie's shoulder injury but I think they would try one of the RBs or Boyd as PR if Charlie can't go instead of using a spot on Taylor. Cut to 53 will be interesting.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 12:55 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Obviously bolstering the WR depth was on the to do list during the draft. Why in the world would we cut a young, raw, rookie WR who we just drafted because of his enticing physically traits that could be special with development?

Barring injury I think our 6 are Chase, Tee, Boyd, TI, Charlie, and Iosivas. Morgan might get claimed by Belichik or something if we cut him and go on to another 10 years in the league as a special teamer. But if he needs to be a target for Joe Burrow I don't have much confidence. To me I'm fine with moving on. Trent Taylor has a shot depending on Charlie's shoulder injury but I think they would try one of the RBs or Boyd as PR if Charlie can't go instead of using a spot on Taylor. Cut to 53 will be interesting.
In the big picture a 6th WR is less valued than one of your top specials especially with a team so deep in their top 3 plus this team is built to win now I rather have a better rounded roster than a development player on bench. We tend to forget how more games in a season are impacted by ST play over a 6th WR insurance policy for a starting WR. So realistic he is still more likely to not make final cut but if he shows promise in STs and plays well in preseason he could grab last spot. 

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2023, 05:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm not sure why carrying 7 is so doubtful. I've always felt like with their love for empty, 7 receivers should be the standard to keep for this offense. Especially when we really don't have an established 4th receiver outside of a career practice squad player.

Me either. I haven't looked it up, but it seems to me going with 7 is the norm for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 08:39 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Me either. I haven't looked it up, but it seems to me going with 7 is the norm for the Bengals.

Actually, they've opened the season with 5 the last two years; 2020 they opened with 7.  With Chase being the only WR drafted the last two years, the low numbers aren't really a huge surprise.  Nobody to worry about getting picked off on the way to the practice squad and no reason for more depth than that until guys start to get dinged up.

Given his physical traits, getting Iosivas to the practice squad seems doubtful at best to me.  I wouldn't be surprised to see 7, being Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Irwin, Jones, Iosivas & Morgan (maybe Taylor over Morgan, but I think the latter for ST).  If Iosivas shows out well at gunner (where Simmons has implied they'll be trying him at in pre-season games), maybe they go 6 with both Morgan and Taylor being odd men out.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2023, 01:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: RT as well. We don't know if Jonah or Carman will be the starter there come opening day, I have at least seen some wins from Carman.

Haven't seen anything from Jonah in the highlights, don't know if that is a good or bad thing.

There is zero doubt Jonah will be the starter.

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2023, 02:03 PM)jj22 Wrote: If we have strong youth who can earn a spot and be the future, it would make his spot a little shaky I'd think. Even with Irwin being relatively new to the rotation, he's been around for 6 years and at 28 his moment may have passed.

TI is a lock.  Zac and Burrow favorite.

Reply/Quote
Believe Jones and Iosivas both make the team. Jones looks to have more talent and potential than Taylor and going to have a hard time believing that a heptathlon medal winner can't play special teams and win a roster spot either,

Thought when the Bengals drafted that the 6th round selections were going to pay dividends, and still believe that to be the case.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Look, when Boyd got hurt vs KC last year, our offense tanked. They swarmed Chase & Higgins & no one else could get separation. That's why we went out & drafted 2 WRs with excellent athletic profiles. We are not gonna risk losing either by exposing them to getting snatched by another team. Jones and Iosivas are locks.

Irwin & Taylor both started last year on PS. No one claimed either. Morgan is strictly a ST guy. Those guys are competing for the #6 WR slot. They each bring something. But Irwin brings the most to the offense. He has hands, and some rappirt with Burrow. He may be WR#4 in reality, but Jones & Iosivas have too much upside to expose.

In terms of carrying 7 WRs, I think it doubtful for several reasons. One, despite the fact that Morgan & Taylor give you ST value, they don't give you a ton on offense. There is a good chance both make it to the PS. And if we carry 7, it means cutting a player at another position with more upside (Anderson, Gunter), more likely to contribute on the field (Basham), or just as valuable on ST (Thomas)..I think all thise guys (save maybe Thomas) are more likely to get claimed. Jones & Iosivas surely would.

If Morgan gets claimed, I am sure Jackson would be overjoyed to take his role and would be fine with being on the PS. If Jones struggles on PR, then Taylor does have value, but I think Jones will be fine.

For me, I'd rather carry an extra CB, S, or DE. Jones on PR, Anderson/Ivey as gunner. I skimp & carry 9 OL (at least until Collins can play). We drafted a rookie punter who specializes in hang time, so hopefully a lot of fair caught punts which devalues gunner even more.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 08:39 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Me either. I haven't looked it up, but it seems to me going with 7 is the norm for the Bengals.

They started with 6 last yesr
Reply/Quote

(08-08-2023, 01:22 PM)felis tigris Wrote: Actually, they've opened the season with 5 the last two years; 2020 they opened with 7.  With Chase being the only WR drafted the last two years, the low numbers aren't really a huge surprise.  Nobody to worry about getting picked off on the way to the practice squad and no reason for more depth than that until guys start to get dinged up.

Given his physical traits, getting Iosivas to the practice squad seems doubtful at best to me.  I wouldn't be surprised to see 7, being Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Irwin, Jones, Iosivas & Morgan (maybe Taylor over Morgan, but I think the latter for ST).  If Iosivas shows out well at gunner (where Simmons has implied they'll be trying him at in pre-season games), maybe they go 6 with both Morgan and Taylor being odd men out.

(08-08-2023, 04:30 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: They started with 6 last yesr

As i said in an earlier post, they've gone with 6 all four years of Zac's tenure. They also went with 6 in the three years prior to that. The last time they didn't go with 6 WRs was in 2015 when they started with 5. The last time they started with 7 WRs was ten years ago in 2013.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 01:50 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Look, when Boyd got hurt vs KC last year, our offense tanked. They swarmed Chase & Higgins & no one else could get separation. That's why we went out & drafted 2 WRs with excellent athletic profiles. We are not gonna risk losing either by exposing them to getting snatched by another team. Jones and Iosivas are locks.

Irwin & Taylor both started last year on PS. No one claimed either. Morgan is strictly a ST guy. Those guys are competing for the #6 WR slot. They each bring something. But Irwin brings the most to the offense. He has hands, and some rappirt with Burrow. He may be WR#4 in reality, but Jones & Iosivas have too much upside to expose.

In terms of carrying 7 WRs, I think it doubtful for several reasons. One, despite the fact that Morgan & Taylor give you ST value, they don't give you a ton on offense. There is a good chance both make it to the PS. And if we carry 7, it means cutting a player at another position with more upside (Anderson, Gunter), more likely to contribute on the field (Basham), or just as valuable on ST (Thomas)..I think all thise guys (save maybe Thomas) are more likely to get claimed. Jones & Iosivas surely would.

If Morgan gets claimed, I am sure Jackson would be overjoyed to take his role and would be fine with being on the PS. If Jones struggles on PR, then Taylor does have value, but I think Jones will be fine.

For me, I'd rather carry an extra CB, S, or DE. Jones on PR, Anderson/Ivey as gunner. I skimp & carry 9 OL (at least until Collins can play). We drafted a rookie punter who specializes in hang time, so hopefully a lot of fair caught punts which devalues gunner even more.
Few problems with your premise on Boyd and KC
1. We had scored zero points when he got hurt but we were in FG position after he got hurt. We scored 17 without him rest of game. I agree it hurt losing him but can't say Offense was shut down after.
2. Chase and Higgins had solid games overall combined had 12 catches 158 yds and td
3. No rookie is as good as Boyd so little difference who we put in
4. Irwin took step forward last yr, Burrow targeted him more and more
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2023, 10:56 AM)pally Wrote: Mike Thomas, the WR, was released during the season last year.  He was picked up by the Ravens who then released him in July.

The battle will be between Trent Taylor and Iosivas for the last spot if they keep 6

No way do they keep Taylor over a 6th round pick that has that kind of upside.  Love Taylor, but he is tiny and only a slot.  
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2023, 10:38 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Does he have a realistic chance of making the team?

I hope so, if he didn't I think another team will scoop him up in a heartbeat. 
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 05:21 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: No way do they keep Taylor over a 6th round pick that has that kind of upside.  Love Taylor, but he is tiny and only a slot.  

I agree but Morgan is 6th WR and Losivas to practice squad to start season. We need STs more with a healthy start to season  so Morgan has more value to start out.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 05:51 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree but Morgan is 6th WR and Losivas to practice squad to start season. We need STs more with a healthy start to season  so Morgan has more value to start out.

I’d put big money Yoshi never sees practice squad

He would be gone within 7 minutes of being announced.

Crazy thing about Yoshi is he’s playing really
Good in camp and i bet the old regime would let Tee go for Yoshi. That’s how cheap Mike Brown was.

“Oh Yoshi doesn’t utterly suck donkey ass!!!? Ok well he can replace Tee. HOBSON go write a dumbass article about how we didn’t have any money even though we have the most cap in the league right now.”
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 05:51 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree but Morgan is 6th WR and Losivas to practice squad to start season. We need STs more with a healthy start to season  so Morgan has more value to start out.

That doesn't really make sense from a team depth perspective.  You know you can get Morgan to the PS.  You're going to have a tough time getting Yoshi there given the reports out of TC.  If ST's struggle, you can always call Morgan up.  Keep in mind that they drafted 3 DB's that are showing promise and DB's and WR's are interchangeable on ST's.  With the cap crunch coming, you can't cut a guy on a dirt cheap contract for 4 years that's impressing for a 5th year guy with 5 career catches for 29 yards on 15 targets.  
Reply/Quote
Jones and Iosivas will both make the roster. So of course will Chase, Tee and Tyler. So there is only one spot open (we are unlikely to keep 7 given needs in other position groups) and I think Irwin has the edge there but it is early still.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 01:37 PM)casear2727 Wrote: There is zero doubt Jonah will be the starter.

If he doesn't get hurt before the opener....

Happy Jonah is playing well, but so is Carman and that is all I wanted to hear.
Reply/Quote