Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Andrew Luck retires... Chance for the Bengals to trade a promising QB?
It's probably easier to hold this perspective since I'm not a Colts fan and therefore not immediately impacted, but all the power to him. If he doesn't want to do it anymore, he shouldn't do it. It's really that simple.

Selfishly speaking, it does make our conference just a tad bit easier.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 12:03 AM)samhain Wrote: I'm not sure Eifert is much of a comparison.  Sure, he's the best receiving TE in the game when heathy, but that ain't very often.  We've long been conditioned to deal with him just not being available.  It's more surprising when he's actually playing.  At this point, he's a marginal player due do the aforementioned issues.  To be honest, many of us would probably rather move on and see cap money spent in other places than on a guy as prone to breaking as Tyler.

Palmer dealt with 2 ACLS and a shoulder issue that caused him to miss almost all of 2008.  He may not have had them all in a row, but he certainly had his share.  

Andrew Luck WAS the Indianapolis Colts.  He was coming off a pretty good year in 2018, and the team was probably a marginal title contender if he was healthy.  

My main issue with the guy is the timing.  At least when Carson spit the bit, he did it almost immediately after the 2010 season.  He at least gave his team a chance to draft a quarterback in April and prepare for a season.  Rich boy Luck just took his ball and went home 2 weeks before Colts fans thought they were going to make a run.  Even if you think the fans are a bunch of ignorant, unwashed plebeian turds, consider his teammates.  Some of them are probably in pain, too.  He just hung them all out to dry.  Same with the staff.  

Of course you don't think Eifert is a good comparison.  Smirk

Eifert showed elite ability and just kept dealing with serious injuries/rehab. I'd say that's a pretty good comparison. Not that skill level even factors into this discussion. It's mainly about understanding when a player has been dealing with a lot. I don't think you'll disagree that people would've understood if Eifert had chosen to walk away.

Palmer's injuries were spread out. How would he have reacted if his ACL and elbow injuries were all consecutive? I do remember hearing how rough his rehabs were. Imagine they were all consecutive.

As to the timing, Luck hadn't practiced all summer and reached a settlement with the Colts last week, which means the team has known about this for some time. https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/teams/ind/indianapolis-colts

(08-26-2019, 12:03 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Good opportunity to give props to the 2009 team, though - RIP Cedric Benson.

Even that season we finished 9th in rush yards, but only 24th in yards per carry. We just ran a lot.

(08-26-2019, 12:42 AM)jason Wrote: Bad words are being said about him on these very forums... He let the team down. He let the fans down. ***** move. Learn to use a comb and razor. He wasn't all that great.... If we didn't have Rex at WR that one day, the legend of Andrew Luck would've been dispelled.

I totally agree with your post though. He is/ was a once in every 15 year talent at his position. It strikes me kinda funny that not only did RGIII win the Heisman in 2011. He was also named Rookie of the Year in 2012... Both of those awards should've went to Andrew Luck.

I know you're not saying these things, but:

1. Those fans need to suck it up. They were spoiled rotten at QB for 20+ years with Luck and Peyton Manning. They'll be fine. 

2. What kind of man worries about another man's beard? 

3. I used to say that Luck was overrated - and at the time he wasn't putting up the stats. That said, he had a couple of 4500 yard, 39 TD seasons since then that proved he was elite when healthy. 

4. Gotta disagree on RGIII though. 

RGIII : 3200 yards - 20 TDs - 5 INTs - 65.6% comp rate - 102.4 rating - 815 rush yards - 7 rush TDs
Luck: 4374 yards - 23 TDs - 18 INTs - 54.1% comp rate - 76.5 rating - 255 rush yards - 5 rush TDs

RGIII was far more efficient as a passer with much better rushing numbers. Despite playing 1 less game than Luck. I think RGIII's story is almost as sad as Luck's. They both showed incredible potential, only to suffer serious injuries. RGIII was never the same after Shannahan decided to throw him into that playoff game when he wasn't healthy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 01:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Of course you don't think Eifert is a good comparison.  Smirk

Eifert showed elite ability and just kept dealing with serious injuries/rehab. I'd say that's a pretty good comparison. Not that skill level even factors into this discussion. It's mainly about understanding when a player has been dealing with a lot. I don't think you'll disagree that people would've understood if Eifert had chosen to walk away.

Palmer's injuries were spread out. How would he have reacted if his ACL and elbow injuries were all consecutive? I do remember hearing how rough his rehabs were. Imagine they were all consecutive.

As to the timing, Luck hadn't practiced all summer and reached a settlement with the Colts last week, which means the team has known about this for some time. https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/teams/ind/indianapolis-colts

Even that season we finished 9th in rush yards, but only 24th in yards per carry. We just ran a lot.

I know you're not saying these things, but:

1. Those fans need to suck it up. They were spoiled rotten at QB for 20+ years with Luck and Peyton Manning. They'll be fine. 

2. What kind of man worries about another man's beard? 

3. I used to say that Luck was overrated - and at the time he wasn't putting up the stats. That said, he had a couple of 4500 yard, 39 TD seasons since then that proved he was elite when healthy. 

4. Gotta disagree on RGIII though. 

RGIII : 3200 yards - 20 TDs - 5 INTs - 65.6% comp rate - 102.4 rating - 815 rush yards - 7 rush TDs
Luck: 4374 yards - 23 TDs - 18 INTs - 54.1% comp rate - 76.5 rating - 255 rush yards - 5 rush TDs

RGIII was far more efficient as a passer with much better rushing numbers. Despite playing 1 less game than Luck. I think RGIII's story is almost as sad as Luck's. They both showed incredible potential, only to suffer serious injuries. RGIII was never the same after Shannahan decided to throw him into that playoff game when he wasn't healthy.

I'll never forget RGIII just collapsing when his knees gave out in that Seattle game.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 12:03 AM)samhain Wrote:  Rich boy Luck just took his ball and went home 2 weeks before Colts fans thought they were going to make a run.  

If he's too hurt to play they weren't going on a run whether he retired now or six months from now. Any Colts fan making a prediction of a win was doing it based on the assumption that Luck would be healthy - he's not.
Reply/Quote
Seems like some have digressed from the OP question: Should the Bengals trade Finley or Dolegala? I say no. I think this will be Dalton's last year with the Bengals unless he has an MVP like year.

Should the Bengals Trade Dalton to the Colts for a 1st round pick (if it were on the table)? I don't know. Dalton gives ZT the best chance to win but he has this year and next year left on his contract. As good as these young QB have looked against 2nd & 3rd stringers, I think during regular season when the problems of O-line reveal its ugly head, an experience QB in Dalton would give the Bengals a chance to win. I will say this, however, Finley looks smooth out there. He is a natural.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 01:09 PM)XsandOs Wrote: I don't Sled.

And please know that in no way, am I implying that it is not physically and emotionally taxing.

Maybe it's the shock of this news...

At some point NFL fans are going to have to stop being shocked that guys who are financially set for life aren't willing to risk life in permanent agony and/or any longer than they feel is necessary.  With that being said, I was initially floored by the announcement but now that I've taken time to process it I'm not nearly as stunned.  It makes sense.

Oh, so original idea...sure trade Dalton to the Colts if they offer something great.  I'd be game for that.  New Dey, right?
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 06:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Oh, so original idea...sure trade Dalton to the Colts if they offer something great.  I'd be game for that.  New Dey, right?

Other than Nelson, I'm not sure if any other player makes sense.

Finley and a 4th rounder for Nelson. Dalton stays.

Blake Bortles is looking at this situation, thinking he wishes he hadn't signed with Rams....
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 06:16 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Other than Nelson, I'm not sure if any other player makes sense.

Blake Bortles is looking at this situation, thinking he wishes he hadn't signed with Rams....

Well, the big issue is Mike Brown.  The guy wouldn't take a 2nd for McCarron so he'd probably want all the tea in China for Dalton.  As for Bortles, I'm sure he's fine where he is...I don't see the Colts starting him over Brisett who has earned respect within their system and locker room.  They may as well spend this year seeing if he or Chad Kelly can be a long-term starter.  Fans are going to blame anything that goes wrong this season on Luck, anyways.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 06:16 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Other than Nelson, I'm not sure if any other player makes sense.

Nelson is a 1st round pick and one that panned out, he is very good so no way they trade Nelson for any QB on our roster. He is young and a building block for the next QB and running back in Indy.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The Colts would never trade for a QB on the Bengals roster because there are better choices. The Patriots look like they are gonna release Hoyer a vet with experience and if the Colts would rather go younger a 2nd and a 4th would probably pry Mason Rudolph out of Pittsburgh.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 07:00 PM)Synric Wrote: The Colts would never trade for a QB on the Bengals roster because there are better choices. The Patriots look like they are gonna release Hoyer a vet with experience and if the Colts would rather go younger a 2nd and a 4th would probably pry Mason Rudolph out of Pittsburgh.

I may be wrong, but I thinks Dobbs lost his 2nd string gig and would be available and Rudolph is not right now.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

There is a 0% chance they'd trade Nelson to us.

I think Brissett will be decent for them.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 07:03 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I may be wrong, but I thinks Dobbs lost his 2nd string gig and would be available and Rudolph is not right now.

Rudolph definitely has won the 2nd spot but if the price is right I would guess Pittsburgh would trade him.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 07:00 PM)Synric Wrote: The Colts would never trade for a QB on the Bengals roster because there are better choices. The Patriots look like they are gonna release Hoyer a vet with experience and if the Colts would rather go younger a 2nd and a 4th would probably pry Mason Rudolph out of Pittsburgh.

Brisset has to be better at Hoyer by now, plus Hoyer is an injury-prone system guy ala Josh McCown.  I don't see the Colts trading draft capital for an unknown QB, either since they may need to move up in the 2020 draft to get their next long-term QB.

If I'm the Colts I roll with what I have, or put Chad Kelly in there and tank it (or discover Kelly is the miracle Brady to Luck's Bledsoe) and shrug the whole time and say "Welp, this is all Luck's fault!  Also, he's way richer than you fans and he just quit....also, he said you all look like dorks!"

Ugh, being an NFL owner seems like the easiest and most fun job ever.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 12:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Nah, just pointing out it doesn't "seem legit" when the guy actually says he's retiring. 

Just giving you a hand. (pun intended)

Well, when I posted this I didn't know he was giving a press conference at the time
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 06:42 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Tom Brady (42) and Drew Brees (40) are probably rolling their eyes at Luck right now. To each their own. It’s his call, but football obviously wasn’t a priority for him. He made enough money to retire young and go do whatever he wants...... more power to him.

Neither Brees nor Brady took the extended beating that Luck has. The Saints and Pats FO’s were smart enough to protect their star QB with a good o line.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 07:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There is a 0% chance they'd trade Nelson to us.

I think Brissett will be decent for them.

Nelson is a Top 5 interior O lineman on a rookie deal. There’s a less than zero chance he gets traded.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 06:42 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Tom Brady (42) and Drew Brees (40) are probably rolling their eyes at Luck right now. To each their own. It’s his call, but football obviously wasn’t a priority for him. He made enough money to retire young and go do whatever he wants...... more power to him.

Brady and especially Brees have both had "uh oh" moments in their careers, so I can imagine they have a better understanding of Luck's mindset than most.  I also assume that anyone who has been a pro athlete as long as those two would know a number of fellow athletes who have broken down, retired, been carted off the field for good, or gone down the treacherous pain killer path.

I'd wager most of the eye-rolling is coming from people who think being a pro athlete is all glamour and a constant joy.  When something like this happens I'm reminded how little the average schmo understands about "dream jobs" like being a high-profile actor/musician/athlete etc.
Reply/Quote

Wishful thinking, and that would be the deal of a lifetime.  However, like the others have said, that dog won't hunt..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 08:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wishful thinking, and that would be the deal of a lifetime.  However, like the others have said, that dog won't hunt..

One can hope.
Reply/Quote