Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Andrew Luck retires... Chance for the Bengals to trade a promising QB?
(08-25-2019, 02:15 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Just a quick look at at an incomplete list of his injuries include torn labrum, sports hernia, lacerated kidney, concussion.

We all have to retire at some point. When a guy has sacrificed his body to the point he was literally pissing blood I'd think twice about casting aspersions and wishing fans through dead raccoons on his lawn.
I posted this In the other thread but it fits here as well. Dude has been through a lot. Its unfortunate for the colts but I cant blame him. This latest probably just sent him over the edge. [Image: 842ddd575dab812ea1835d872a9053a7.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Great news!! Andy moves up to the 17th best QB in the NFL
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Tom Brady (42) and Drew Brees (40) are probably rolling their eyes at Luck right now. To each their own. It’s his call, but football obviously wasn’t a priority for him. He made enough money to retire young and go do whatever he wants...... more power to him.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 06:42 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Tom Brady (42) and Drew Brees (40) are probably rolling their eyes at Luck right now. To each their own. It’s his call, but football obviously wasn’t a priority for him. He made enough money to retire young and go do whatever he wants...... more power to him.

To be fair Luck has been working with a much worse OL and he uses his legs way more than those two. He had the miles pile up on him quick.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 05:26 PM)jason Wrote: Also beat the dogshit outta us earlier that season.

Our offense was decimated with injuries in that game too
Reply/Quote
From the press conference:

“I’m in pain, I’m still in pain. It’s been four years of this pain, rehab cycle. It’s a myriad of issues: Calf strain, posterior ankle impingement, high ankle sprain. Part of my journey going forward will be figuring out how to feel better.”

- Andrew Luck
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Finley is not playing against 1st team defenses.....
You never do play against them until you do. Every time we asked him to step up against better comp he has and he will again.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 07:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: From the press conference:

“I’m in pain, I’m still in pain. It’s been four years of this pain, rehab cycle.  It’s a myriad of issues: Calf strain, posterior ankle impingement, high ankle sprain. Part of my journey going forward will be figuring out how to feel better.”

- Andrew Luck

I think a lot of it is how much you love football. Once a guy gets so many tens of millions of dollars in the bank...they may not be willing to endure that type of injury and continue through the process. A lot of guys do though.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 07:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: From the press conference:

“I’m in pain, I’m still in pain. It’s been four years of this pain, rehab cycle.  It’s a myriad of issues: Calf strain, posterior ankle impingement, high ankle sprain. Part of my journey going forward will be figuring out how to feel better.”

- Andrew Luck

He must be hurting pretty bad to leave 122 million smack-a-roos on the table.
Reply/Quote
The lesson here is don't draft a franchise QB unless you have an OL, Colts ****** that up
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Fun fact:

Dalton sacked once every 16.3 attempts for his career
Luck sacked once every 18.9 attempts for his career

One is now retired while the other just keeps plugging along. What's that thing Merv used to say? The best ability is availability? 

In all seriousness though, I wish Luck the best. Never heard a bad word about the guy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 10:45 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If they were desperate, and I really doubt they're that desperate. They might come at us with an offer slightly out of proportion for a QB. A 4th round pick next season which could move up to a 3rd with this and that being met. But I highly doubt they'd trade away any OT besides PS kinda folks.

I think if they try for any QB for this year, which I doubt they do, but if they do it will be a vet for one year like Fitz but I think it will be Eli. And as far as trading one of our QB's for an Indy Olinementhat's insane. No way in hell do they trade any Olinemen away to anyone. Hell thats why Luck is done, they would just be starting the cycle over with another QB getting killed behind that line.
Reply/Quote
Seeing interviews of Luck...he doesn't look like someone who is an NFL QB. He looks and sounds more like a Professor.

I wish him the best in his future.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:07 AM)NKURyan Wrote: The dude took them to within a game of the Super Bowl. If a Bengals QB does that in my lifetime, I'd be friggin' thrilled. Colts fans need to get over themselves if they think they're to the point where they can take shit like that for granted. Gee I feel so sorry for them down here in Cincinnati... they've sure got it rough.

The amount of entitlement some fans have is ridiculous. You hope people show up on his lawn with torches and trash? Chill out, dude, it's a friggin' game and the Colts were pretty damn good at that game when Luck was on the field. And that's while playing for a team that (up until last year) had him behind a garbage offensive line playing with no defense.

I think there's a pretty good chance Luck didn't just up and quit on them, because it sure seemed like he spent the last few months trying to get back on the field for them. He's just broken down at this point (thanks aforementioned offensive line!). I'd give him the benefit of the doubt even if the timing sucks, because it's not like he was going to be out there in week 1 or week 2 for them anyways.

The Colts will end up drafting Trevor Lawrence and all the sudden all the fans will be back on board. I hope he saw this and tells them to kiss his ass and demands to play elsewhere.

Mark Sanchez took the Jets to within a game of the Super Bowl.  Nobody cares.  

Entitlement is a funny word to use here.  If expecting a (the) key player on your team not to quit two weeks before opening day is entitled, then I suppose you are right.  

As to his garbage protection, I think people ignore one key fact here.  Luck never was a quarterback who was good at the things that quarterbacks need to do to prevent themselves from being injured.  He was always reluctant to slide or run out of bounds, and he took a lot of unnecessary shots for that very reason.  The line takes plenty of blame, but some of it is on him, too.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 07:10 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Our offense was decimated with injuries in that game too

Alright... Andrew Luck and the Colts beat both the Seattle Seahawks, and the Denver Broncos the previous season... Neither team was decimated by injuries.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 05:32 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: And we beat him at Indy in 2018. Point? 

What is have to do with we were missing 50% of starters on offense when Luck beat us in the playoffs others than to argue?

I'm not arguing a damn thing... Other than the implication that Andrew Luck isn't all that. You really think the Bengals win that game in the road at 100%? The historical evidence suggests otherwise. This is the same franchise that went undefeated at home the previous year, and got handled by an inferior Chargers team whom they had just beat in California a tad over a month prior.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 10:18 PM)jason Wrote: I'm not arguing a damn thing... Other than the implication that Andrew Luck isn't all that. You really think the Bengals win that game in the road at 100%? The historical evidence suggests otherwise. This is the same franchise that went undefeated at home the previous year, and got handled by an inferior Chargers team whom they had just beat in California a tad over a month prior.

Yep. That Chargers game seemed to be setup for us to win. Quite shocking we lost really. But, in hindsight not shocking.

With the Colts playoff game, I'd say we atleast had a small percentage to win had we had AJ Green. Without Green, we had no chance.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:15 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Just a quick look at at an incomplete list of his injuries include torn labrum, sports hernia, lacerated kidney, concussion.

We all have to retire at some point. When a guy has sacrificed his body to the point he was literally pissing blood I'd think twice about casting aspersions and wishing fans through dead raccoons on his lawn.

Meh, dead raccoons are funnier than regular garbage.  

Lots of guys in the league play in a lot of pain.  Some guys love the game and go forward.  It's rare for an upper-eschelon player to up and quit because of it.  Brett Favre had all the money he could ever spend and got pounded into hamburger.  They had to drag his grandpa-ass carcass off the field to get him to quit.

I'd also call the word "sacrifice" a bit of a mis-labeling of his reason for playing.  Doing anything for tens of millions of dollars is difficult for me to characterize as sacrifice.  Volunteering to fight a war is sacrifice.  Working in a mine is sacrifice.  People do shitty, thankless, physically demanding jobs that hurt them for enough pay to barely scrape by.  Playing a game that makes you a rock star and pays you a literal fortune doesn't quite meet that definition to me.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 03:52 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Luck will be playing in the XFL. Guess who the commissioner of the XFL is.....His Dad.

The idea of Luck leaving hundreds of millions of dollars on the table in the NFL in order to make literal pennies on the dollar getting beaten to a pulp in the XFL is a bit hard to swallow.  

As for Luck, I still don't see why everyone is so sure Luck sprung this on the team out of the blue. In 2017 Luck was like "I can't throw a football" and Irsay was all like "Luck will be fine and ready for game one! Keep buying tickets! *SNORT*!" and Luck missed the whole season and people were like "Whaaaaa?!! NO WAAYYYY!!!" and in 2019 Luck is like "I'm in real pain...can't play here" and Irsay again is like "It's no big deal, it's just his calf....er...ankle....low ankle...or high ankle, which is less bad? Actually he's got a little bone thing going on....keep buying tickets, it's all fine!"

I was surprised Luck retired, but I was pretty sure he was going to miss a significant portion of the season if not all of it. I don't see why people are so upset he didn't just stand on the sidelines and eat up their salary cap and do nothing. He could have stood on the sidelines and gotten paid and then going into 2020 people are going to wonder if they should just move on from him anyways...what's the big difference?

But again, this requires you to trust that the Colts owner didn't know about this and lie to fans like he did before. Call me skeptical.
Hell, Irsay is probably going to move the Colts out of town at night like his old man while the fans are too busy booing Luck.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 09:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fun fact:

Dalton sacked once every 16.3 attempts for his career
Luck sacked once every 18.9 attempts for his career

One is now retired while the other just keeps plugging along. What's that thing Merv used to say? The best ability is availability? 

In all seriousness though, I wish Luck the best. Never heard a bad word about the guy.

The positive takeaway from this statistic is the Cincinnati Bengals have a tough, durable quarterback in Andy Dalton.
Reply/Quote