Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Andrew Luck retires... Chance for the Bengals to trade a promising QB?
(08-25-2019, 05:32 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: And we beat him at Indy in 2018. Point? 

What is have to do with we were missing 50% of starters on offense when Luck beat us in the playoffs others than to argue?

Would have saved face if we had just forfeited the game due to those injuries.   Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 10:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The idea of Luck leaving hundreds of millions of dollars on the table in the NFL in order to make literal pennies on the dollar getting beaten to a pulp in the XFL is a bit hard to swallow.  

As for Luck, I still don't see why everyone is so sure Luck sprung this on the team out of the blue.  In 2017 Luck was like "I can't throw a football" and Irsay was all like "Luck will be fine and ready for game one!  Keep buying tickets! *SNORT*!"  and Luck missed the whole season and people were like "Whaaaaa?!!  NO WAAYYYY!!!" and in 2019 Luck is like "I'm in real pain...can't play here" and Irsay again is like "It's no big deal, it's just his calf....er...ankle....low ankle...or high ankle, which is less bad?  Actually he's got a little bone thing going on....keep buying tickets, it's all fine!"

I was surprised Luck retired, but I was pretty sure he was going to miss a significant portion of the season if not all of it.  I don't see why people are so upset he didn't just stand on the sidelines and eat up their salary cap and do nothing.  He could have stood on the sidelines and gotten paid and then going into 2020 people are going to wonder if they should just move on from him anyways...what's the big difference?  

But again, this requires you to trust that the Colts owner didn't know about this and lie to fans like he did before.  Call me skeptical.  
Hell, Irsay is probably going to move the Colts out of town at night like his old man while the fans are too busy booing Luck.

And a lot of guys would do that...just collect the salary and not play.

That's what fans wanted.

It's weird they are letting him keep his bonus. Almost like they worked that out with him. Retiring gives them salary cap relief I assume.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 10:27 PM)samhain Wrote: Meh, dead raccoons are funnier than regular garbage.  

Lots of guys in the league play in a lot of pain.  Some guys love the game and go forward.  It's rare for an upper-eschelon player to up and quit because of it.  Brett Favre had all the money he could ever spend and got pounded into hamburger.  They had to drag his grandpa-ass carcass off the field to get him to quit.

I'd also call the word "sacrifice" a bit of a mis-labeling of his reason for playing.  Doing anything for tens of millions of dollars is difficult for me to characterize as sacrifice.  Volunteering to fight a war is sacrifice.  Working in a mine is sacrifice.  People do shitty, thankless, physically demanding jobs that hurt them for enough pay to barely scrape by.  Playing a game that makes you a rock star and pays you a literal fortune doesn't quite meet that definition to me.

I agree with some of what you're saying. Should Indy be throwing a parade for him? Na. But there's also no reason to boo the guy for moving on after 4 straight years of rehab. I don't think anyone on here would've bashed Eifert for moving on after his latest injury. That's the closest comparison I can think of.

Palmer never dealt with as bad a stretch (injury wise) as Luck just had, and Favre never got seriously hurt. He was tough, but lets be real...he was also fortunate.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And a lot of guys would do that...just collect the salary and not play.

That's what fans wanted.

It's weird they are letting him keep his bonus. Almost like they worked that out with him. Retiring gives them salary cap relief I assume.

Maybe they knew about his retirement ahead of time, and told him he could keep his bonus as long as he dressed for a couple preseason games (to sell as many tickets as possible)? Think about how empty that stadium would be had Luck announced his retirement earlier in the offseason.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I agree with some of what you're saying. Should Indy be throwing a parade for him? Na. But there's also no reason to boo the guy for moving on after 4 straight years of rehab. I don't think anyone on here would've bashed Eifert for moving on after his latest injury. That's the closest comparison I can think of.

Palmer never dealt with as bad a stretch (injury wise) as Luck just had, and Favre never got seriously hurt. He was tough, but lets be real...he was also fortunate.

Brett Favre required multiple stints in rehab to fight off the painkiller and other addictions he developed during years of pushing his body beyond normal human capacity.  Stuff like that simply isn't for everyone, and I believe in a worker's right to do what he sees fit in regards to his own job, so I respect the people who are dead/crippled/insane and the ones who retired early.

I just can't but think of the oddness and secrecy of the narrative. Favre was tough, yes, but to look at two men in pain and call the one who is taking near-lethal amounts of drugs to be tougher than the other brings up all sorts of interesting discussion points.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 10:10 PM)samhain Wrote: Mark Sanchez took the Jets to within a game of the Super Bowl.  Nobody cares.  

Entitlement is a funny word to use here.  If expecting a (the) key player on your team not to quit two weeks before opening day is entitled, then I suppose you are right.  

As to his garbage protection, I think people ignore one key fact here.  Luck never was a quarterback who was good at the things that quarterbacks need to do to prevent themselves from being injured.  He was always reluctant to slide or run out of bounds, and he took a lot of unnecessary shots for that very reason.  The line takes plenty of blame, but some of it is on him, too.

Mark Sanchez was the caretaker on a team that had an awesome defense. The Jets made that AFC championship game despite him. Andrew Luck, however, carried a team on his back to the AFC championship game while breaking Peyton Manning's franchise passing records along the way.

Do you know who the leading rusher on that 2014 Colts team was? Trent Richardson lol, with just over 500 whopping yards. He had (a very good) TY Hilton and a 36 year old Reggie Wayne as his primary weapons and he still put up 4700 yards passing and 40 TDs. Their defense was middling and his offensive line was bad. That team doesn't sniff the level of success they had without Luck.

And you act like Andrew Luck was just sitting poolside all summer just waiting to throw this out there two weeks before the season started. Maybe he's been busting his ass all summer to try to get his body to cooperate because he knows just how much his team needs him. None of us know and it's all just conjecture. Since the guy's always been a pretty class act I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here.

If he can't play (and there has been talks for *months* that his start of the season was questionable) what difference does it make if he announces it now versus during Week 4 or 5 of the season? You think he should just string the franchise and fanbase along for a few more weeks even if he knows it's not going to happen?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:45 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Mark Sanchez was the caretaker on a team that had an awesome defense. The Jets made that AFC championship game despite him. Andrew Luck, however, carried a team on his back to the AFC championship game while breaking Peyton Manning's franchise passing records along the way.

Do you know who the leading rusher on that 2014 Colts team was? Trent Richardson lol, with just over 500 whopping yards. He had (a very good) TY Hilton and a 36 year old Reggie Wayne as his primary weapons and he still put up 4700 yards passing and 40 TDs. Their defense was middling and his offensive line was bad. That team doesn't sniff the level of success they had without Luck.

And you act like Andrew Luck was just sitting poolside all summer just waiting to throw this out there two weeks before the season started. Maybe he's been busting his ass all summer to try to get his body to cooperate because he knows just how much his team needs him. None of us know and it's all just conjecture. Since the guy's always been a pretty class act I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here.

If he can't play (and there has been talks for *months* that his start of the season was questionable) what difference does it make if he announces it now versus during Week 4 or 5 of the season? You think he should just string the franchise and fanbase along for a few more weeks even if he knows it's not going to happen?

As bad as that sounds, the Colts finished 22nd in rush yards and 25th in YPC that year, which looks like a typical year for the Bengals from 2007-2017. Kinda puts it in perspective how bad our run game was.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 09:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fun fact:

Dalton sacked once every 16.3 attempts for his career
Luck sacked once every 18.9 attempts for his career

One is now retired while the other just keeps plugging along. What's that thing Merv used to say? The best ability is availability? 

In all seriousness though, I wish Luck the best. Never heard a bad word about the guy.

I remember the first year he started, the pundits and casters were anointing him as the next Favre.  While Sanchez was bashed. They were both about the same with Luck a bit better. Luck's undoing was he took too many risks with hits, typical with running QBs.  QBs gotta learn when to dump or throw the ball away or simply slide. He took too many hits to make miracles.  

At the very least, he got paid well. Hopefully he doesn't end up as a pain killer junkie. 
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I agree with some of what you're saying. Should Indy be throwing a parade for him? Na. But there's also no reason to boo the guy for moving on after 4 straight years of rehab. I don't think anyone on here would've bashed Eifert for moving on after his latest injury. That's the closest comparison I can think of.

I'm not sure Eifert is much of a comparison.  Sure, he's the best receiving TE in the game when heathy, but that ain't very often.  We've long been conditioned to deal with him just not being available.  It's more surprising when he's actually playing.  At this point, he's a marginal player due do the aforementioned issues.  To be honest, many of us would probably rather move on and see cap money spent in other places than on a guy as prone to breaking as Tyler.

Palmer dealt with 2 ACLS and a shoulder issue that caused him to miss almost all of 2008.  He may not have had them all in a row, but he certainly had his share.  

Andrew Luck WAS the Indianapolis Colts.  He was coming off a pretty good year in 2018, and the team was probably a marginal title contender if he was healthy.  

My main issue with the guy is the timing.  At least when Carson spit the bit, he did it almost immediately after the 2010 season.  He at least gave his team a chance to draft a quarterback in April and prepare for a season.  Rich boy Luck just took his ball and went home 2 weeks before Colts fans thought they were going to make a run.  Even if you think the fans are a bunch of ignorant, unwashed plebeian turds, consider his teammates.  Some of them are probably in pain, too.  He just hung them all out to dry.  Same with the staff.  
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: As bad as that sounds, the Colts finished 22nd in rush yards and 25th in YPC that year, which looks like a typical year for the Bengals from 2007-2017. Kinda puts it in perspective how bad our run game was.

Good opportunity to give props to the 2009 team, though - RIP Cedric Benson.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:45 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Mark Sanchez was the caretaker on a team that had an awesome defense. The Jets made that AFC championship game despite him. Andrew Luck, however, carried a team on his back to the AFC championship game while breaking Peyton Manning's franchise passing records along the way.

His rushing game may have been anemic, but he his TE group had Fleener and Allen, who scored 8 TDs each. These were 2 guys drafted specifically to mimic Luck's TE heavy offense at Stanford.  His TEs in total scored 18 that year.  Let's not sit here and act like a group consisting of Hilton (over 1300 yards that year), Wayne, Fleener, Moncrief, Allen, and a good receiving back in Rhodes was some kind of second rate assembly of weapons.  Sanchez sucked, but he had absolutely nothing close to that to work with.  

Luck's division also just happened to be a total laughingstock that year. The Jags and Titans combined for a grand total of 5 wins that season. Must be nice to play two non-teams like that in a season.
Reply/Quote
Didn't read every post in here so this may have already been mentioned, but why would the Colts trade for a QB when they already had a guy on the roster ready to start with Luck's injury up in the air?

Jacoby Brissett

The guy who was supposed to replace Tom Brady until he decided to play till he was 90....

And of course there is this:

"Originally meant to serve as a backup to Andrew Luck, Brissett ended up starting 15 games for the Colts in the 2017 season due to Luck being injured, and threw for over 3,000 yards and 13 touchdowns; he returned to his backup role the following year."

Over 3K and 13 TDs, I think they are set at QB.

Also, he is a former N.C. State QB, so maybe that school becomes a QB pipeline??? Brissett and Finley.... maybe... hopefully?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
It will be some time before the truth is revealed.

I just feel that there is more to this....
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 09:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fun fact:

Dalton sacked once every 16.3 attempts for his career
Luck sacked once every 18.9 attempts for his career

One is now retired while the other just keeps plugging along. What's that thing Merv used to say? The best ability is availability? 

In all seriousness though, I wish Luck the best. Never heard a bad word about the guy.

Bad words are being said about him on these very forums... He let the team down. He let the fans down. ***** move. Learn to use a comb and razor. He wasn't all that great.... If we didn't have Rex at WR that one day, the legend of Andrew Luck would've been dispelled.

I totally agree with your post though. He is/ was a once in every 15 year talent at his position. It strikes me kinda funny that not only did RGIII win the Heisman in 2011. He was also named Rookie of the Year in 2012... Both of those awards should've went to Andrew Luck.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 12:33 AM)XsandOs Wrote: It will be some time before the truth is revealed.

Why is it so hard to fathom that a man who has millions and millions in the bank, is tired of being in pain all the time. I live with chronic back pain, you can bet if I had Luck's money my butt wouldn't be taking a pounding and making it worse every day either.....
Reply/Quote
Quote:Hopefully he doesn't end up as a pain killer junkie. 
That may be the real reason he decided to get out while he still can. I've struggled with pain killer addiction most of my adult life. It's a damned tough one to walk away from once you get used to them killing pain for you. Once you get used to them ordinary pain becomes extraordinary pain when they're not around when you need them. Just minor aches and pains become debilitating pain. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's been through that mess.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 12:33 AM)XsandOs Wrote: It will be some time before the truth is revealed.

(08-26-2019, 01:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Why is it so hard to fathom that a man who has millions and millions in the bank, is tired of being in pain all the time. I live with chronic back pain, you can bet if I had Luck's money my butt wouldn't be taking a pounding and making it worse every day either.....

(08-26-2019, 02:26 AM)grampahol Wrote: That may be the real reason he decided to get out while he still can. I've struggled with pain killer addiction most of my adult life. It's a damned tough one to walk away from once you get used to them killing pain for you. Once you get used to them ordinary pain becomes extraordinary pain when they're not around when you need them. Just minor aches and pains become debilitating pain. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's been through that mess.

Testing starts the third week of April and runs through camp, preseason and even regular season.

It's unfortunate, but at times injured payers resort to certain pharmacotherapies to heal...... I will leave it at that.

Abrupt retirement by a top tier player is not common - especially a player who doesn't seem to have a career threatening injury.

My comment is not a knock on Luck's character. This news saddens me, truly.

But I feel there is more to this.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 12:52 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Testing starts the third week of April and runs through camp, preseason and even regular season.

It's unfortunate, but at times injured payers resort to certain pharmacotherapies to heal...... I will leave it at that.

Abrupt retirement by a top tier player is not common - especially a player who doesn't seem to have a career threatening injury.

My comment is not a knock on Luck's character. This news saddens me, truly.

But I feel there is more to this.

I'm just going to go out on a limb and guess you don't live with chronic pain....
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 01:00 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm just going to go out on a limb and guess you don't live with chronic pain....

I don't Sled.

And please know that in no way, am I implying that it is not physically and emotionally taxing.

Maybe it's the shock of this news...
Reply/Quote
A man with millions of dollars chooses to walk away before becoming further injured and it's a big conspiracy? Not everyone is willing to cut off a nut to play in the NFL and make millions. He likely has millions in the bank, will continue to work doing something for a bit of extra dough and isn't chasing something anymore. Maybe it just isn't fun anymore. Every time he turns around he is getting cut open and destroyed. Can kick back around the pool and not worry about a bunch of 300 pounders looking to crush him every snap.

There are players who just worry about concussions and stop playing, but this guy has been crushed constantly. Is the tiny CHANCE of a ring worth it? Not to him it isn't. If he goes out there week 1 and gets his ACL shredded, he is in the same position, plus another surgery, rehab and pain. has to decide when enough is enough.
Reply/Quote