Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andy Dalton: Anyone that wanted a loss today is not a real fan
(12-22-2019, 08:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I can’t wait to move on from this mediocre bum. Good riddance.

Why would you call anyone a bum? I really wish our fans could show some class as AD leaves with many all time Bengals QB records.

Bums don't set records, even for bad teams.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(12-22-2019, 08:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've backed Andy for years, but you're right. He's salty that he's out.

I wish him the best elsewhere, and I wish Burrow a better situation than Andy's been saddled with.

It's possible that inside the Bengals that everyone is delusional and thinks this is a playoff team with a break here and there.
(12-22-2019, 08:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why would you call anyone a bum? I really wish our fans could show some class as AD leaves with many all time Bengals QB records.

Bums don't set records, even for bad teams.

Why should we show class? He’s not.

(12-22-2019, 08:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why should we show class? He’s not.

I'll play devil's advocate here...Dalton is pissed that Bengals fans were rooting against the Bengals.  That makes sense to me...particularly since we complain when the players laugh or "don't care" when they lose.  We want players to get fired up and yell and scream and when one of them calls us out for rooting for a loss we should at least say "He's right, but the NFL rewards losing so meh."

I don't see how you can be mad at Dalton for saying this.  I know the "real fan" label is a bit of a message board bs sort of argument, but he's calling fans out for being happy we lost.  I get his perspective and I think it's a little unfair that we scream and cry for players who WANT TO WIN and then would dare to get upset when a player who WANTS TO WIN calls us out for not WANTING TO WIN.  Let's be honest, every single win we've had since 1988 has done nothing but wreck our draft position.  What has winning gotten us?  5 straight 12th place finishes that immediately scuttled that year's draft pick.  Ouch.

Just playing devil's advocate.  Dalton is going to get to go play for a franchise that is trying harder to win now....unless Matt Stafford retires.

EDIT - There is also a decent chance that we are going to be doing a lot of losing next year, so hopefully if/when Burrow is still trying to win even though we're out of the running we won't be furious about it.
Seems not that long ago that Andy was upset that he wasn't traded before the deadline. No talk of "I can help the team", "I'm here to help Ryan and this team win". It was just salt.

Now when a fan is not all in on the Bengals winning a meaningless game they are "not real fans"?

FWIW, I agree with Andy, but he lost the right to say it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(12-22-2019, 08:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll play devil's advocate here...Dalton is pissed that Bengals fans were rooting against the Bengals.  That makes sense to me...particularly since we complain when the players laugh or "don't care" when they lose.  We want players to get fired up and yell and scream and when one of them calls us out for rooting for a loss we should at least say "He's right, but the NFL rewards losing so meh."

I don't see how you can be mad at Dalton for saying this.  I know the "real fan" label is a bit of a message board bs sort of argument, but he's calling fans out for being happy we lost.  I get his perspective and I think it's a little unfair that we scream and cry for players who WANT TO WIN and then would dare to get upset when a player who WANTS TO WIN calls us out for not WANTING TO WIN.  Let's be honest, every single win we've had since 1988 has done nothing but wreck our draft position.  What has winning gotten us?  5 straight 12th place finishes that immediately scuttled that year's draft pick.  Ouch.

Just playing devil's advocate.  Dalton is going to get to go play for a franchise that is trying harder to win now....unless Matt Stafford retires.

EDIT - There is also a decent chance that we are going to be doing a lot of losing next year, so hopefully if/when Burrow is still trying to win even though we're out of the running we won't be furious about it.

I took the opposite tack from your post above, but, what you are saying makes sense.  And, Andy has been a class act from day one, suffering with dignity those idiots that booed him at a charity softball game.  I guess I can cut him a little slack.  So, point taken.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
(12-22-2019, 08:43 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I took the opposite tack from your post above, but, what you are saying makes sense.  And, Andy has been a class act from day one, suffering with dignity those idiots that booed him at a charity softball game.  I guess I can cut him a little slack.  So, point taken.

I’m just beyond ready to move on. Replacing Marvin only felt like half the job.

(12-22-2019, 08:43 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I took the opposite tack from your post above, but, what you are saying makes sense.  And, Andy has been a class act from day one, suffering with dignity those idiots that booed him at a charity softball game.  I guess I can cut him a little slack.  So, point taken.

I get it...I want the top pick, not the 3rd.  I understand the notion of these games being meaningless, but I'm thinking ahead to Burrow playing here and us likely being a very not good team.  At what point to we start getting upset that Burrow is trying to win and wreck our 2021 draft pick?  Or is just that Dalton is old and didn't win a playoff game so we are happy to root for him to lose and get his loser ass out of here?

It's typical losing football.  You get a new QB and after he is no longer a new shiny object you start to resent him for the losses, sometimes for the wins.  It's just a shame seeing all 3 franchise QBs Mike Brown has had go down the same path of bitterness and disillusionment.  It just reminds me of a loser guy I know who would get dogs and not train them and get mad and say "Next time I'm gonna get a good dog!"

Dalton is like Old Yeller, except we are gleefully taking him out and getting rid of him.  Oh, cynical football! 

(12-22-2019, 08:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m just beyond ready to move on. Replacing Marvin only felt like half the job.

We replaced Marvin with a guy who is way worse than him, so I'm not sure how to take this in the context, here.  If the goal is to lose then replacing Marvin with ZT was a great move, to be sure.  It's just hard to get too pumped about this constant "replace and hope for the best this time, despite not changing what is wrong" mentality.  Welcome Burrow...good luck.
(12-22-2019, 08:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Fans were upset he almost led them back for the win which means #1 overall pick would not be secure.

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner. Dalton has done squat all year and now he is sore he couldn't screw us out of the number one pick. We needed him to be better the last four years , not now when he is being literally pushed out the door. He has been given his chance to succeed and failed. See you later Andy. 
(12-22-2019, 08:11 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Tell that to HOF QB Troy Aikman. I believe Brees also lost 12 games in a season and so has Matt Ryan.

3 of of these things are not like the other. 3 QBs that are Superbowl quarterbacks and then we have 1 with 0 playoff wins. Apples and oranges.
(12-22-2019, 08:51 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: 3 of of these things are not like the other. 3 QBs that are Superbowl quarterbacks and then we have 1 with 0 playoff wins. Apples and oranges.

Those comparisons are truly comedy gold lol

(12-22-2019, 08:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Dalton is like Old Yeller, except we are gleefully taking him out and getting rid of him.  Oh, cynical football! 

Hmmm...I'd like to hear more about this Old Yeller.  I love doggie stores with a happy ending  Mellow
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
(12-22-2019, 08:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m just beyond ready to move on. Replacing Marvin only felt like half the job.

He did more in less time than Boomer and Kenny.

Td's e owns. He is 2nd in yards with 6 less years than Kenny, but more than Boomer. He has a better Int. % by far than Kenny and Boomer and also fumbled less. I believe he also leads Bengals QB's in rushing Td's, but may be wrong.

To call him a bum because he plays to win is beyond classless.

He is leaving, he did not quit like Palmer an far surpassed Palmer's numbers in the same era. Yet, many still love CP and now trash the better QB record wise and numbers wise Dalton. Wish him well, he is a class act and according to Finley, he helped the rookie when he did not have to.

I wish Dalton and his wife a team that will appreciate his value and respect him as a human being.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(12-22-2019, 08:51 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: 3 of of these things are not like the other. 3 QBs that are Superbowl quarterbacks and then we have 1 with 0 playoff wins. Apples and oranges.

AD's career is not over. I hope he lands with the Steelers and AJ comes with him

(12-22-2019, 08:57 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: AD's career is not over. I hope he lands with the Steelers and AJ comes with him

Me too. AJ's all out of Bengal hoodies and AJ would look good holding a clipboard for Ben. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(12-22-2019, 08:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: He did more in less time than Boomer and Kenny.

Td's e owns. He is 2nd in yards with 6 less years than Kenny, but more than Boomer. He has a better Int. % by far than Kenny and Boomer and also fumbled less. I believe he also leads Bengals QB's in rushing Td's, but may be wrong.

He is leaving, he did not quit like Palmer an far surpassed Palmer's numbers in the same era. Yet, many still love CP and now trash the better QB record wise and numbers wise Dalton. Wish him well, he is a class act and according to Finley, he helped the rookie when he did not have to.

I wish Dalton and his wife a team that will appreciate his value and respect him as a human being.

I said when Palmer wanted out that I understood why he was sick of being here, and while we were all giddy about Dalton I vowed to defend him if/when he ended up being run into football misery by Mike Brown, too.  Here we are 9 years later and the hens have finally come to roost...or whatever.

Anyways, you said bums don't set franchise records but Palmer has the best win % of a Cardinals starting QB so there is that.  I don't see Dalton being even that (mildly) relevant after leaving here though, but you never know.

Hey, I'll get in early and say if Burrow turns into a cynical disappointment like Boomer/Palmer/Dalton did (wow a 100% failure rate, that's impressive) then I'll give him a bit of a pass, too.  You heard it here first!
(12-22-2019, 08:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: He did more in less time than Boomer and Kenny.

Lmao no he did not. Unless I missed a Dalton MVP and Super Bowl appearance...

(12-22-2019, 09:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Lmao no he did not. Unless I missed a Dalton MVP and Super Bowl appearance...

Yeah, that was a stretch.  Dalton never measured up to his peers like Anderson, Esiason, and even Palmer (occasionally) did.  The wacky thing is that Dalton, unlike Esiason and Palmer, likely isn't going to have much chance or time left to test his prowess with another team or two because he actually did the "right" thing and played out his contract rather than demanding to be sent elsewhere.

It's just bad football and a miserable fanbase, all around.  We are mad at Dalton for not quitting, mad at old QBs for quitting, mad at AJ for not playing and so on. If AJ actually played would we be throwing a fit if he actually played well and scored?  We're just mad about a lot of stuff and that's what happens.  As Bob Dylan wrote and Peter, Paul & Mary so gracefully sang "Too much of nothing just makes a fella mean."
(12-22-2019, 08:43 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I took the opposite tack from your post above, but, what you are saying makes sense.  And, Andy has been a class act from day one, suffering with dignity those idiots that booed him at a charity softball game.  I guess I can cut him a little slack.  So, point taken.

Agree, but see below

Me to
(12-22-2019, 08:02 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I would say anyone who loses 11 games in a season isn't a real QB.

So...
Troy Aikman ® 1989 0-11 
John Elway 1990 5-11
Steve Young 1986 2-12
Peyton Manning ® 1998 3-13
Jim Kelly ® 1986 4-12
Warren Moon ® 1984 3-13 + 2 more 10 loss seasons in under 16 games
Joe Namath 1975 (14 game season) 3-10
Ken Anderson 1979 4-11
Boomer Esiason 1991 3-11
Carson Palmer 2010 4-12, 2012 4-11

all weren't real QB's? Interesting...