Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Andy Dalton Released
(04-30-2020, 11:54 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Just saw that he asked to be released in a report...Not sure if that was mentioned here but interesting none the less.

I saw that as well, but it did not mention first time he asked to be released.

Was it in 2019, prior to the draft or after the draft? Or possibly all of the above?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Might be nice for him to back up Dak. At least he’d be home in Texas.

I thought about this also

So far Dak has refused to sign his franchise tag offer.  I don't think he will hold out and I assume Dallas will end up signing him long term, but anything is possible.  Dallas has a shitload of talent on offense.  If Dalton gets any chance at all he might look really good there.

Right now their #2 QB is Cooper Rush.  I am a pretty big college football fan, but I had never heard of him.  Pretty Sure Andy would be a "significant" ( Ninja ) upgrade.
Reply/Quote
about time....
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:54 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Just saw that he asked to be released in a report...Not sure if that was mentioned here but interesting none the less.

That's not surprising.  Seems pretty obvious his future is as a backup and he needed his release to have a shot at a job. 
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:56 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The only way his statement makes any sense is if he thinks Dalton will demand a similar amount to the 17.5 mil. That's why I referenced that figure.

He can be had without "significant cuts" and you know it.  

The Patriots current cap situation does not at all prevent them from adding Andy.  The idea that they need to move mountains to make room for him is absurd.

Significant cuts only equals moving mountains in your mind because you wanted to jump on my post (quite nastily) and argue. I never said they’d have to cut Gilmore, Edelman, Thuney, etc. I said they’d have to cut someone.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:  I said they’d have to cut someone.

Nicomo Cosca

They don’t have the cap room. They’d have to make some significant cuts.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 10:21 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Still better than nothing

And why not wait until training camp? Injuries happen all the time in during the preseason... the timing of this move seems very odd

It's not odd at all. It's pretty much what alot of us expected. No one was taking that 17 mil on for a backup... Cam is still out there too. Andy might be without a team until injuries happen..
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:59 AM)McC Wrote: That's not surprising.  Seems pretty obvious his future is as a backup and he needed his release to have a shot at a job. 

That is surprising because in the other thread you claimed that the Bengals did the right thing and waited until after the draft to release him, which I would agree with in case of a trade.  The thing is that now it seems like Andy had to ask to be released which quite a different story.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:56 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The only way his statement makes any sense is if he thinks Dalton will demand a similar amount to the 17.5 mil. That's why I referenced that figure.

He can be had without "significant cuts" and you know it.  

The Patriots current cap situation does not at all prevent them from adding Andy.  The idea that they need to move mountains to make room for him is absurd.

You can't just state your opinion as fact.  I have been in a lot of conversations with Nico and I know he is very well aware that if Dalton was cut his salary is gone.  He has commented about teams waiting for Dalton to be released so they don't have to pay him $17 million about a hundred times.  If you want to keep making that argument I'll find them and post them for you.

And $3 million can be considered "significant" since many NFL starters make less than $3 million.

So stop just making shit up and claiming it is true because you say so.  It makes you look stupid.
Reply/Quote
I wish Andy well.

I also wish the bengals would have given him a free agency period like we just had. A period that might have gotten us over the playoff hump.

I also wish they would have handled the situation better. They should have explored trading him last year before the deadline. Seems they lost a lot of leverage when they benched him for Finley hours before the deadline.

I also wish a dalton for thuney trade could have worked for both teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Thank you Andy and family for 9 years of hard work you put into the team I love. I wish you have lots of future success.

Who Dey.

PS: You should have nipped that Red Rifle name in the bud. It was just bad.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 12:02 PM)spazz70 Wrote: That is surprising because in the other thread you claimed that the Bengals did the right thing and waited until after the draft to release him, which I would agree with in case of a trade.  The thing is that now it seems like Andy had to ask to be released which quite a different story
I'm pretty sure I never said that.   I thought the right thing would have been releasing him right after the season.  I never thought he had any trade value.  Don't know where you came up with that.

And it's not surprising that he would ask to be released.  He lost all chance of a starter job and the longer he stayed here, the more backup jobs he'd miss out on.

I don't know what your ***** problem is.   We'll just play it your way and be sworn enemies.  Makes no difference to me.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 12:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You can't just state your opinion as fact.  I have been in a lot of conversations with Nico and I know he is very well aware that if Dalton was cut his salary is gone.  He has commented about teams waiting for Dalton to be released so they don't have to pay him $17 million about a hundred times.  If you want to keep making that argument I'll find them and post them for you.

And $3 million can be considered "significant" since many NFL starters make less than $3 million.

So stop just making shit up and claiming it is true because you say so.  It makes you look stupid.

Name 3 starters that make 3 million or less.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 12:09 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Name 3 starters that make 3 million or less.

Well wait if you meant Quarterbacks.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 10:16 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Should have traded him months ago when we had the chance. Colossal waste of what could have been a few draft picks Whatever

It would have been nice to get something for him, but unfortunately it takes two to tango in that regards. There was no one willing to take on that salary at least from what it appears.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 12:02 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Nicomo Cosca

They don’t have the cap room. They’d have to make some significant cuts.

This also entirely depends on what Dalton and his agent are going to be looking for. I just don’t see him settling for a few million a year. Even if they wanted low end starter money NE would have to cut a couple players. You don’t think he’ll want more than Tyrod Taylor (who makes 5.5m)? Teddy Bridgewater makes 21m ffs.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 10:36 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Name 8 QB’s he’s better than.

I will never get why people think Dalton is going to New England or anywhere to start. He's nothing more than a veteran backup now.. He was a good guy but an average QB who when he had bad games, they were back breakers. I will never forget his fumble in the Charger playoff game... Good QBs don't do stuff like that...
Reply/Quote
I know Finley and Dolegala are garbage so if Burrow goes down we are screwed. I'd hate to have a situation where a crappy number 2 QB derails our season
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 12:09 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Name 3 starters that make 3 million or less.

Joe Mixon
Jessie Bates
Sam Hubbard

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 10:41 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Baker Mayfield, 
Jared Goff, 
Daniel Jones, 
Sam Darnold, 
Josh Allen, 
Jarret Stidham, 
Gardner Minshew, 
Tyrod Taylor, 
Dwayne Haskins,
Mitch Trubisky/Foles, 
Teddy Bridgewater 

Do some of these guys have more upside than Dalton? Yes. Are they better right now? No.

You are joking right? Goff has won playoff games and been to a super bowl. Stidham , Trubisky and Tyrod Taylor are the only ones he may be better than..
Reply/Quote