Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Andy Dalton Released
Andy helped bring us a lot of good memories. He really did exceed expectations his rookie season, and 2015 was on track to be something special before the thumb injury. Best of luck to him. Sad to see it end this way for him. But he just hasn't been delivering the goods.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Or maybe they don't have to move at all.

Hmm

I'd say bets bet is Jacksonville, followed by the Patriots.  If neither of those teams are interested he may come back here as a back up.  I doubt that happens but it may be his best bet financially.  As a back up he is more valuable to the Bengals than any other team because he is already familiar with all the coaches and receivers.

Good point.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:16 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 1.) You used the word "significant".  Clearing a few mil in space does not require significant changes.

2.) You used the word "cuts". Cuts as in plural. ie Multiple players cut. (Significant ones at that)

3.) The Patriots, like all teams, have more guys under contract than will make or count towards their main roster.  Cuts will happen regardless of their pursuit of Dalton. Money will come off the books.

4.) You are ignorant about restructuring and how easily teams can create space without cuts, and without forcing paycuts.

Your statement was simple. That they can't pursue him, that it's not logical, due to cap constraints.  This is 100% false.  They can easily add him without significant cuts, which is what you represented as fact.

Save your semantics and Kindergartener's understanding of the cap for someone else. 

Tell us who hurt you...

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:21 AM)McC Wrote: Stop.  You're just embarrassing yourself.

That ship sailed in the Dalton backup thread...

Reply/Quote
With Andy Dalton released only 2 QBs from the 2011 draft class remain on an NFL roster. Blaine Gabbert and Tyrod Taylor. Gabbert, somehow, has, at this point, out lasted Newton, Locker, Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick and Ryan Mallett. Fair play to him.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:17 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: THEY ARE 1.7 MILLION UNDER THE CAP!!!

What is so hard to understand about this? I know this is really hard for some of you guys to be moving on from your hero the red rifle, but this is an exciting time to be a Bengals fan, not sure why a few of you are lashing out like you are.

They are 2 million under the cap FOR THIS YEAR...... https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/

Andy is not due 17 million dollars now

They can spread out over future years or sign him to prove it one year deal like Winston did in NO.

This is not about Andy, this is about your lack of understanding about how other teams work the cap and the Bengals do not.

I am not lashing out.  I am just pointing out that a team like NE does not need to make "significant cuts" or "multiple cuts" to sign him as you stated.  Sorry, you are just plain wrong in that statement but of course you are not going to say so.  You will just to continue to tell us that it is our love for Andy, your fall back statement.  

Peace, have a great day...WHODEY!!   Go Burrow!!!
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:03 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I never said he would be a bust, I said with these weapons I have high expectations from the Heisman winner and number 1 overall pick

He should not need a learning curve

40 tds from a rookie, particularly one with this coaching staff is quite the standard to set.  I just assumed a guy as pro Dalton ad you would be pretty down on ZT seeing as Dalton looked pretty bad in his system. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:33 AM)spazz70 Wrote: They are 2 million under the cap FOR THIS YEAR...... https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/

Andy is not due 17 million dollars now

They can spread out over future years or sign him to prove it one year deal like Winston did in NO.

This is not about Andy, this is about your lack of understanding about how other teams work the cap and the Bengals do not.

I am not lashing out.  I am just pointing out that a team like NE does not need to make "significant cuts" or "multiple cuts" to sign him as you stated.  Sorry, you are just plain wrong in that statement but of course you are not going to say so.  You will just to continue to tell us that it is our love for Andy, your fall back statement.  

Peace, have a great day...WHODEY!!   Go Burrow!!!

Oh ffs this is all because I used cuts plural? Ok sure NE would have to make a CUT to fit Dalton in. And that’s if they don’t pick anyone else up off waivers or in FA.

Also, over the cap has them at 1.7.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-england-patriots/

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:20 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So 40 should be a cakewalk for Burrow

40 would have lead the league last year. The next highest total was 36.

-Mahomes had a full year in system and a start prior to that season.

-Mahomes joined a playoff team.

-Mahomes played in an Andy Reid system.

-Mahomes played in an offense where the leading rusher had 824 yards, and the backup onlg has 200. (Pass heavy)

-Tyreke Hill makes an older AJ Green look Kelly Washington.

-Travis Kelce makes Uzomah look like Stephen Hawking.

-Mahomes projected out in the mid 30's in TDs this year had he not missed two games. The 50 burger was historic and it took a lot of things to make it happen. Call it luck or a fluke or fhe stars aligning. 
Reply/Quote
Always was a stand up human which is more important. Just couldn’t pull off the big win in the play offs.

Thanks Andy.
Reply/Quote
I'm not surprised. Dalton helped make the team competitive in a time that most national media was expecting the team to be a bottom dweller again. In fact, Dalton helped lead the team to it's best 5-year stretch in Mike Brown's tenure as owner.

I wish Dalton the best with whatever new team he joins.
EDIT - Except the Steelers.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 10:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The market was just not there. He might have brought back a single 4th or something, but that’s about it.

Reports have him choosing between the Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers, and Jags.

He'll have a new team by next week.

Best of luck to Dalton. People underrate his era, but if it wasn't for Burrow, we'd likely not see 5 straight playoff appearances again.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Damn I wanted to hold on to him. If they can bring in a quality veteran lineman due to this release I’ll feel better about releasing him.

Loved Andy, wish him the best. I wonder where he’ll end up.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:45 AM)jj22 Wrote: Reports have him choosing between the Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers, and Jags.

He'll have a new team by next week.

Might be nice for him to back up Dak. At least he’d be home in Texas.

If he goes to Pittsburgh this board will melt down...lol

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ok sure NE would have to make a CUT to fit Dalton in. 

Cuts will happen regardless. They have more players currently on payroll than will make the team.  When veteran players get released in camp younger players move up to take their place against the top 53 cap hits.  This results in cap savings.

Again, you don't understand restructuring either. Even without the afformationed routune cuts teams can quickly create immediate space by restructuring contracts.  This can all be done without a pay decrease and without roster change.

Player A has cap hits of 5, 5, 5 over the next 3 years.  They can easily restructure that to look like 2, 6, 6 with little effort and basic cap management. All at no loss or risk to Player in guarantees.  Resulting in an immediate 3 mil in space and without a single cut.

Just stop. You have no idea what you're talking about. If the Patriots want Dalton they can make that happen without what you've suggested.
Reply/Quote
Maybe I'm just tired of Andy arguments (and possibly had a few Bloody Marys with my quarantine breakfast), but I'd rather see this thread just be more of a "Thanks Andy for great memories, being a classy player and great for the community," and less "Hey everyone, lets fight and argue of the same things we have been fighting and arguing over for a few years now. And now lets fight and argue over other things as well."   Big Grin

While there were a lot of good memories this one where Andy and Boyd eliminated the Ravens from the playoffs always makes me smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bECuPlKegaY

It also raised a lot of money for charity after that play gifted the Bills a playoff spot.  Sure I would have rather posted videos of Andy throwing game winning TDs in playoff games, but it is what it is.

Anyway, continue on. Again, Andy if you happen to read this thread for some reason, thanks again for all the good memories.  I'll always be a fan of yours unless you sign with any other team in the AFCN.   Wink

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:49 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Cuts will happen regardless. They have more players currently on payroll than will make the team.  When veteran players get released in camp younger players move up to take their place against the top 53 cap hits.  This results in cap savings.

Again, you don't understand restructuring either. Even without the afformationed routune cuts teams can quickly create immediate space by restructuring contracts.  This can all be done without a pay decrease and without roster change.

Player A has cap hits of 5, 5, 5 over the next 3 years.  They can easily restructure that to look like 2, 6, 6 with little effort and basic cap management. All at no loss or risk to Player in guarantees.  Resulting in an immediate 3 mil in space and without a single cut.

Just stop. You have no idea what you're talking about. If the Patriots want Dalton they can make that happen without what you've suggested.

Ok guy, if all that is your definition of “easily” then sure it’ll be easy for NE to sign him. And again this assumes they won’t sign anyone else in FA or off waivers.

Reply/Quote
Just saw that he asked to be released in a report...Not sure if that was mentioned here but interesting none the less.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Put your dick back in your pants.  There are lots of starters in the NFL that make less than $3 million.  If the pats have to cut someone like that then it could be considered "significant".

You were wrong when you said Nico thought Dalton was still carrying a $17 mill price tag.  Why not just get over it instead of squealing about the definition of "significant".

The only way his statement makes any sense is if he thinks Dalton will demand a similar amount to the 17.5 mil. That's why I referenced that figure.

He can be had without "significant cuts" and you know it.  

The Patriots current cap situation does not at all prevent them from adding Andy.  The idea that they need to move mountains to make room for him is absurd.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:51 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Maybe I'm just tired of Andy arguments (and possibly had a few Bloody Marys with my quarantine breakfast), but I'd rather see this thread just be more of a "Thanks Andy for great memories, being a classy player and great for the community," and less "Hey everyone, lets fight and argue of the same things we have been fighting and arguing over for a few years now. And now lets fight and argue over other things as well."   Big Grin

While there were a lot of good memories this one where Andy and Boyd eliminated the Ravens from the playoffs always makes me smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bECuPlKegaY

It also raised a lot of money for charity after that play gifted the Bills a playoff spot.   Big Grin

That was a good one. The Seahawks comeback instantly comes to mind as well. Despite what some on this board claim I don’t “hate” Dalton. Never have. Actually used to defend him quite a bit. I’ve just been ready to move on for awhile now. And that day is finally here.

He did always seem like a good person though. And I appreciate everything he did for my city. Especially off the field.

Reply/Quote