Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andy Dalton ain't worth a dime
(03-23-2020, 10:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Link or it didn’t happen.

Yeah, people are talking about me speculating on the 2nd round pick on twitter for Dalton, I actually saw it...

Yet this is all speculation on the trade a year ago when Dalton was playing the worst he has ever played...

Never saw anyone looking for Dalton in a trade last season at all. Why would they?
Reply/Quote
I think his value maxed out at a 4th rounder. The Bengals just didn't realize that until it was too late.

They were intoxicated by the articles talking about 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Now they'll likely get nothing. At least not unless the season starts and a starter gets injured.

But then we'll have to carry his contract into the new season, which poses its own set of issues.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 03:17 PM)McC Wrote: But it's not even necessarily a starting job in Chicago.  It's to be the guy who somehow lights a fire under Trubisky, to be a pawn in Nagy's diabolical game of chicken with the guy they drafted before Nagy got there.  It's a may or may not be a starter situation.  How do we even know it wasn't Andy who didn't want any part of it?

Any veteran QB worth a d@mn looks at Chicago’s defense, then looks at Trubisky, and immediately thinks I can win this job, easily. Trubisky is a bad starting QB, and was a terrible pick. Chicago fans are going to throw up in their Old Styles for the next ten years watching Mahomes and Watson ball out.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 12:24 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: For years fans on this message forum have argued about Andy Dalton.  Some considered him a franchise QB...others thought he was very good but just didn't have the right coach i.e. Marvin. A minority group felt that he wasn't the answer and we needed to move on from him several years ago.  

Now that we will draft a legit franchise altering QB, Dalton is on the block.  A true tell as to his value will be determined. Every team that had a question at QB has decided Dalton isn't worth anything.  Now we sit here and more than likely our supposed excellent QB will be cut.

I still wonder if the people that loved Dalton all these years will continue to make excuses for him, or will they finally come to terms with reality. My guess is the former.

Hope all of you are hanging in there during these difficult times.  Stay safe, wash your hands, and keep your distance.

Well, at least you ended your post with a nice sentiment.... Cool

I guess I am one of the people that loved going to the playoffs five straight seasons, having zero legal troubles with our QB, and watching him knock the steelers and ravens out of the playoffs (that Ravens one is still one of the top 10 moments in Bengal History).

He is far from perfect, but I thought the price we were paying for him (roughly half what it cost to sign Kirk Cousins) allowed the Bengals to have a couple more key players on the roster and I believed that season in 2015 that it was all going to culminate in a Super Bowl victory.  

It isn't making excuses when they are factual statements:   He loses guys like Whitworth and Zeitler for guys like Ogbuehi and Fisher.  He loses Marvin Jones and Mohammed Sanu for guys like Brandon Lafell (at least they also drafted Boyd).  He never had a good center.  He had a number of OCs.  Some good, some bad.  

Dalton's issue right now is how the team that would sign him could sell him to their fan base.  I hate to admit it, but James Rapien (formerly on Mo Egger's show) had it right when he called him:  "Blandy Dalton".  He is solid, not spectacular.  Cam Newton may be beat up, but he is a physical freak.  The Bears could sell signing Nick Foles because he won a Super Bowl.  The one that still puzzles me is Phillip Rivers to the Colts...but I digress.  I really thought that New England would take Dalton.  They save money with his deal vs. Brady and he is a solid veteran that has shown he can pick up an offense quickly.

For those of you saying "I told you he sucked" and so on...be careful.  The Pats probably just realize they are the last team that hasn't settled on a QB and no one is bidding against them for Dalton.  So, as precious as they view draft capital, they might just be waiting for him to be cut or until after the draft to see what shakes out.  

I wish Dalton nothing but the best in his future.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Cam Newton was released. I think for Andy's sake they need to just release him asap. Let him find a team and start working. By trying to help him, we're going to screw him over.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 04:32 PM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals are at 19.6 without Reader and Alexander contracts. We know Alexander will be 4m being a 1 year drops it to 15.6... that means DJ Readers cap hit has to be less than 4mil for the rookie pool.

The Bengals HAVE to create cap space with either Dre or Andy's contracts. Andy is the most obvious choice.

The updated numbers I saw had the draft pool in and us at 16 which means we need to find 4. We could restructure Daltons deal and add a year next year converting some of his salary to signing bonus but essentially give him an opt out so it’s still basically the same contract but he gives us cap flexibility to keep him on the roster until we find him a home. The reality is there isn’t a starting job out there for him so staying here until one comes up would make sense for him as it’s guaranteed money versus possibly none if a job never opens.

Side note, not saying this is ideal but if Brown wants to pay a backup 17 million let him it’s not out money and if it doesn’t preclude us from filling our roster then there are worse things we can have than a good back up.
Reply/Quote
Apparently Cam Newtown is also not worth a dime.

Teams wont trade for Dalton because they know the Bengals are cornered. They either release him or swallow a redonk salary.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 12:09 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Cam Newton was released. I think for Andy's sake they need to just release him asap. Let him find a team and start working. By trying to help him, we're going to screw him over.

What if pittsburg signed him?  That would be odd, but kind of makes sense given how fat piggy has become and his age...
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 12:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: Andy Dalton's value today in a market flooded with more previously full time starting QB's then any free agency period in the league history doesn't prove, or disprove, anything. I have been pretty lukewarm on Dalton over the last few years but this is grasping at straws. The Bears offered us the same deal the Jags took for Foles (according to a Chicago writer) and we didn't accept It appears they'd rather have him as a back up than take a compensatory 4th.

Got a link to this Chicago writers write up? I can't find it when Googling and I'm curious to read it.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 02:50 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: What if pittsburg signed him?  That would be odd, but kind of makes sense given how fat piggy has become and his age...

Are you asking what if Pittsburgh signed Cam or Andy?
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 02:50 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: What if pittsburg signed him?  That would be odd, but kind of makes sense given how fat piggy has become and his age...

The way Ben misses time I wouldn't be floored if they had Cam or Dalton om their bench waiting for their inevitable playing time. 
Reply/Quote

That would be weird! But we definitely know his weaknesses.
Reply/Quote
Andy is worth a dime. Problem is he ain't worth 17.7 mil.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 02:58 PM)bengaloo Wrote: That would be weird! But we definitely know his weaknesses.

Having Marvin Lewis as a HC?
Reply/Quote
This was just an offseason with unusual QB movement. Also other teams know we are kind of locked in on the draft so they will just wait us out for the inevitable cut then they can sign without us getting compensation.
Reply/Quote
I don't think it says as much about the player or his value around the league as it does about what the Bengals asking price was.
If it was too step it makes sense there would be no bites at the moment. They obviously wanted more than the Bears were willing to give up which caused them to roll to Foles because the Jags were more desperate to move his salary. Whether its right or wrong the Bengals seem content to play the long game. Every year a starting QB goes down. If its a contender or a team that thinks it can compete with a competent starter than the Bengals will get a windfall for him.

If not you have an above average back up in case Burrow falters. Then again its only March so we just have to wait and see.
Reply/Quote
Just happens to be when there are 10 starting QBs available. Should have traded him last year
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 02:58 PM)bengaloo Wrote: That would be weird! But we definitely know his weaknesses.

Primetime and playoff games.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 03:38 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Primetime and playoff games.

A year ago we were saying our inability to win big games was leaving town with Marvin.  I guess now Dalton is taking it with him.
Reply/Quote
If I'm Andy Dalton, I'm taking my 50 million or whatever he has, I'm going home to Texas and letting somebody else be the low hanging fruit and butt of bad jokes by idiots and getting on with my life.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote