Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andy Dalton is the best player on the Bengals
I've been on AD's case from time to time, but he is far far far removed from being a problem. He's a tremendous asset at this point and is doing everything reasonable to keep the Bengals in games.

The Online is killing him and the coaching as to how to adjust to that clearly is lacking. The players should be breaking up field when a player breaks down. Instead they stop and block or stand there covered. That's not on AD (who is looking up field if you watch) that's coaching and game prep. The Steelers have it figured out. The Bengals don't. It would have been a different game yesterday if they planned for pass protect break downs and where the WRs reroute when AD breaks pocket.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 01:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well that didn't stop us from ragging on the Klinglers or the David Carrs of the world!

Not me. I always wondered what those 2 could've done had they not been shell shocked early. Look at David's brother, and David was the better prospect coming out.

Either way, Dalton has good numbers this year despite the beating, so I'm not sure about the comparison.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 10:56 AM)PhilHos Wrote: He's not getting any help from his receivers either. Watch when he scrambles, the receivers generally stand around watching. They don't try to get open and they don't block anyone.

Dalton needs to call them out or SOMETHING.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

This has been going on for years with this team.....

(10-10-2016, 10:57 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Dalton has come a long way in the last 18 months.  The pre 2015 Dalton would not be able to get anything done behind this line.  He barely has any time to set up, is getting hit and harassed constantly, it's just not pretty.  I know he does not have a bunch of touchdowns, but the yards he has been able to accumulate this year is impressive.

There are times the backs can't even get the handoff without someone being in their face....according to some (see below), that's 14's fault too.

(10-10-2016, 11:14 AM)jason Wrote: Dalton looks like he's the only one that gives a shit out there. That's for sure.

Offensively, he and Gio....sometimes Hill....and AJ.

(10-10-2016, 12:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dunlap and LaFell had a decent game too.

Yep, thought so too.

(10-10-2016, 12:55 PM)Fresno B Wrote: If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is a duck. 

Yep, trolls gon' troll...

(10-10-2016, 01:12 PM)Hammerthis Wrote: I agree with you on the performance of our lines on both sides of the ball, but totally disagree with you on everything else. I'm not suggesting that Andy cost us the game, he did not! But when we're down by several points late in the game, I expect a lot more from our QB (even when all WRs are covered) than what Andy gives. Too often he prematurely gives up on plays. 

We don't have the luxury of a over-powering defense that can consistently scores points, therefore, Andy has to know when to shift gears a little.

I'm not sure I follow your logic.  So, if o linemen can only sustain a block 1.8 sec, no one's open, and two or three d linemen are breathing down his neck....just what the hell is he supposed to do there?  

Honestly, I think we masked the inefficiencies of this line last season with our quick hits.  Jones, Eifert, and even Sanu had a knack for getting open underneath.  This year, those guys are gone.  Lafell does ok, Boyd is just learning, and Eifert is out.  Now, we don't have time for anything to develop down the field because Piano Man's unit couldn't block the Queen of England.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
AJ Green, Carlos, Whitworth, Geno, and Vontaz are all pretty good players as well but Dalton is definitely coming along and he is significantly better than what he was 3 years ago. He still needs more help though a Healthy Eifert and a bigger commitment to the running game would help him out more.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 12:55 PM)Fresno B Wrote: If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is a duck. Dalton didn't do anything to help this team yesterday. 

Yep...I mean zero points until the game is on ice? Taking into consideration all of the high draft picks we have on offense, we have to at least look at the QB position and ask, "what can he do differently?" 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 01:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not me. I always wondered what those 2 could've done had they not been shell shocked as rookies.

Look at David's brother, and David was the better prospect coming out.

Ehh, I don't disagree but there isn't much glory for having an asterisk disclaimer like that by your career. Sadly, every QB we've had past Anderson seems to have that "Yeah, but he played for the Bengals" disclaimer until we see otherwise.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 01:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well that didn't stop us from ragging on the Klinglers or the David Carrs of the world!

I did Klingler.....because I wasn't a big fan of the pick to begin with.  Over inflated college stats against inferior competition was my opinion.

However, I won't say the same thing about Carr.  I felt sorry for guys like him, Tim Couch, and even our own Klingler, overrated or not.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 01:17 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I've been on AD's case from time to time, but he is far far far removed from being a problem. He's a tremendous asset at this point and is doing everything reasonable to keep the Bengals in games.

It would have been a different game yesterday if they planned for pass protect break downs and where the WRs reroute when AD breaks pocket.

AJ Green and Boyd admitted in post game comments that they didn't know what to do when the pocket broke down. They said they couldn't follow Dalton due to the zone coverage. Said that they'd get "walled off" (which admittedly I don't know what that means) or a DB would undercut the route.

If you're Dalton, what do you do at that point? I think he did a fantastic job of protecting the ball and taking what was there, considering the circumstances. He took a few deep shots, but the coverage was all over that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 01:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: AJ Green and Boyd admitted in post game comments that they didn't know what to do when the pocket broke down. They said they couldn't follow Dalton due to the zone coverage. Said that they'd get "walled off" (which admittedly I don't know what that means) or a DB would undercut the route.

If you're Dalton, what do you do at that point? I think he did a fantastic job of protecting the ball and taking what was there, considering the circumstances. He took a few deep shots, but the coverage was all over that.

It's funny they want the QB to make a play, but when it gets INT or almost INT then people go and cry and complain he made the throw... lol there's no winning with Dalton for some people.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 01:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: AJ Green and Boyd admitted in post game comments that they didn't know what to do when the pocket broke down. They said they couldn't follow Dalton due to the zone coverage. Said that they'd get "walled off" (which admittedly I don't know what that means) or a DB would undercut the route.

Walled off is basically when the QB starts to scramble, the zone linebackers and/or dbs "wall off" the receivers behind them trying to prevent a throw, or force an interception. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote

I have no clue what the hell "walled off" means either. What I saw yesterday was more like pocket breaks down, Andy scrambles and everyone is giving up and standing around. We have all seen what happens when Roethlessburger gets out of the pocket on a broken play. There are wide open receivers everywhere.  Why is that? What is the difference between them and us? We have talent, we have seen it before. It must be the coaching that is just not up to par.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 01:22 PM)J24 Wrote: AJ Green, Carlos, Whitworth, Geno, and Vontaz are all pretty good players as well but Dalton is definitely coming along and he is significantly better than what he was 3 years ago. He still needs more help though a Healthy Eifert and a bigger commitment to the running game would help him out more.
Going into the game they may have been committed to run heavily, but falling behind 21-0 makes it real hard to stay committed to the run. 
The best ability is availability. Hence, stop counting on Eifert...he's way too fragile. Besides, one or two players go down on teams offense all the time. 
Also, more help on offense is what MB has been providing for the past 7 years and what has it got us? 
Reply/Quote

Man, that Claibourne guy is a ball hawk.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 01:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: Man, that Claibourne guy is a ball hawk.

That should have been a TD, Andy slightly under threw it 
Reply/Quote

Exactly. Not AD's fault. That's coaching and prep by the coaches. Pitt has killed the Bengals for years with turning water into wine in these situations. Yet the Bengals coaches don't realize the garbage play of the line enough at this point in the year to plan for that exact type of thing? Turn a weakness into a strength for F's sake.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 02:06 PM)Hammerthis Wrote: That should have been a TD, Andy slightly under threw it 

That was far from the only play 24 made yesterday.  It was slightly underthrown....but I bet you dollars to donuts that's still a TD against most DBs in this league, probably including every single one of ours.  He made a nice play on the ball.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 01:53 PM)Hammerthis Wrote: Going into the game they may have been committed to run heavily, but falling behind 21-0 makes it real hard to stay committed to the run. 
The best ability is availability. Hence, stop counting on Eifert...he's way too fragile. Besides, one or two players go down on teams offense all the time. 
Also, more help on offense is what MB has been providing for the past 7 years and what has it got us? 

Good teams don't lose all pro players and  act like nothing is wrong. Wtf are you talking about? Remember when Gronk got hurt in 2013 and Brady turned into average qb then the next year Gronk was healthy then Brady had a MVP caliber season the following year. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 01:35 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: It's funny they want the QB to make a play, but when it gets INT or almost INT then people go and cry and complain he made the throw... lol there's no winning with Dalton for some people.

Sure, there's winning with Dalton. But to expect to win against *good teams, I estimate all of our players on offense (especially those protecting the Dalton) must play exceptionally well. Our defense needs to be top 3 or better. In other words, win with our defense.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 01:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: I did Klingler.....because I wasn't a big fan of the pick to begin with.  Over inflated college stats against inferior competition was my opinion.

However, I won't say the same thing about Carr.  I felt sorry for guys like him, Tim Couch, and even our own Klingler, overrated or not.

Hard to feel too sorry for a guy who made $40 million (Carr) and now has a cushy job on NFL Network discussing football all day
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 02:56 PM)Hammerthis Wrote: Sure, there's winning with Dalton. But to expect to win against *good teams, I estimate all of our players on offense (especially those protecting the Dalton) must play exceptionally well. Our defense needs to be top 3 or better. In other words, win with our defense.

Thats how its been since Palmer left. The D didn't get credit unless it was a loss.
Reply/Quote