Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Anonymous AFC Personnel Director is not impressed with Burrow
(01-04-2022, 08:26 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Look at it closer…

Nah, I know, its pretty ****** up but I still laughed ? 
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 02:07 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I don't think it pains anyone that the Bengals are playing well. I read that quote and see a guy who says, he is playing well and is just a step below the greatest QBs in the league, which doesn't sound like an insult for a 2nd year pro.

It seems more like a quote of "Hey, they are really good and happy for them, but let's hold up on the guy is the next goat." Which, will piss off some posters around here but isn't an unfair statement. He's playing lights out the last two games, and having an MVP type season. Need to win in the playoffs and silence all possible doubt while playing at a high level for several seasons.

He went well past a "let's not crown him just yet".  "Nothing special about him at all" I believe was the quote...his numbers, the eye test on the field, his teammates love him, the analytics, the passer rating,  deep dive analysis by h.o.f. qbs that all end with Peyton or Warner or Brees saying things like "this guy is different, this guy is special" or something to that effect.....I'll take the word of dudes who I know they know what they're talking about and they stand by their analysis and post it on their YouTube channel while some loser anonymously trashes the guy.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 08:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That profile pic is pretty ****** up…

Whose profile pic?
Reply/Quote
Well, to be fair Joe smokes.. He smokes and smokes and smokes.. He's a smoker! He trained a dog to smoke and go door to door begging for cigarettes..  Smirk
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 02:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: im not getting upset at all...  Especially not with anyones opinion

But people attacking people for their opinion

But you're attacking us for our opinion. Again, why is it okay for one person (this case you) but not for others (this case me and those whose opinion(s) you don't like)?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Probably a scout for the Dolphins, angry that they wound up with Tua and trying to downplay Burrow to prop himself up. Or something similar to that.

Don't forget that these guys often say things that will help preserve their place in this league. They have more reasons to be biased than fans do.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 03:15 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/news/the-first-read-week-18-how-antonio-brown-s-meltdown-has-sealed-bucs-fate-joe-bur

Normally, when you give a take this ice cold, you're only doing it for the rage clicks, but this personnel director did it while remaining unnamed so what is his reason for being such a dumbass in this quote?

Can someone tweet this article to Joe? I'm sure he'd love to hear about how he's not special by any stretch.

Basically, all this director is saying is they don't have the confidence of long-term success yet with Burrow because he hasn't shown it over multiple seasons like Mahomes, Brady, or Rodgers.
And they basically equate Burrow to Josh Allen because they are the same age. And essentially Burrow got his experience in college while Allen got his in the NFL, so they're about on the same level.
Herbert is seen in a better light to this director because Herbert is younger.

So in my mind, I don't see a problem with this.
Prove consistent success over the next few years and it will help stifle any critics who haven't seen enough of Burrow at the NFL level to believe yet.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 05:06 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Whose profile pic?

I'm curious too....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I was a little bit worried about Burrow's age coming out of LSU. The reason that teams pay so much attention to age is that is correlated with a player's ceiling. This is on average, of course, but it matters. An example from baseball: players offensive production peaks around 27. So a good year out of a 22 year old (think Juan Soto or Mike Trout) is different than out of a 27 year old (he likely won't get better), Soto probably will and Trout did. Same thing has been observed in most sports (different ages, but same idea). Superstars mostly emerge younger, peak higher, and are good longer. This also explains the obsession with age in the NBA draft.

How this applies to Bengals, Burrow, and this anonymous quote: Burrow was not Heisman Joe until he was 23, instead of at, say, 21. So, the concern is that his peak won't be as high as if he had emerged a couple of years younger. Two things. First, the age/peak correlation is on average. Burrow might well be an exception. Choosing to claim he's not after the last two weeks (as the anonymous quote implicitly does) is poor timing at best. Really sounds like sour grapes. Second, what if it is true that Burrow won't get a lot better? This is where I eventually came down prior to drafting Burrow. Even if he has less 'room to grow' his peak is damn high already. As a previous poster put it, stack up 12 of these seasons and he's going to Canton. So, IMHO the anonymous quote is based on a truism in sports (truly great players generally aren't late bloomers; there are age cycles that most players careers track) but Burrow doesn't have to get much better to be truly elite, so it doesn't matter that much. Based on YPA he is elite right now.

Btw, this works in our favor with Jamarr Chase. Dude is 21! He was already dominant in college at 19. He has the potential for a very long, exceptional HOF-worthy career if he doesn't get hurt.
Reply/Quote
The one position that I don't really care about age is QB. I could care less if he comes into the league at 23 or 21.

And don't kid yourself, the real reason Burrow has been so successful is because of his mental grasp of the game. I said it before the draft, my comp for him was Peyton Manning at Tennessee. He didn't have the big arm like Allen or Herbert, but mentally he was just light years ahead of everyone else.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 03:15 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/news/the-first-read-week-18-how-antonio-brown-s-meltdown-has-sealed-bucs-fate-joe-bur

Normally, when you give a take this ice cold, you're only doing it for the rage clicks, but this personnel director did it while remaining unnamed so what is his reason for being such a dumbass in this quote?

Can someone tweet this article to Joe? I'm sure he'd love to hear about how he's not special by any stretch.

I'm gonna guess it was Brett Veach, GM of the Chiefs..
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 02:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: That part I agree with....it was the rest of the comments I didn't find "necessary". Cool

(01-04-2022, 04:56 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: He went well past a "let's not crown him just yet".  "Nothing special about him at all" I believe was the quote...his numbers, the eye test on the field, his teammates love him, the analytics, the passer rating,  deep dive analysis by h.o.f. qbs that all end with Peyton or Warner or Brees saying things like "this guy is different, this guy is special" or something to that effect.....I'll take the word of dudes who I know they know what they're talking about and they stand by their analysis and post it on their YouTube channel while some loser anonymously trashes the guy.

Eh, it's one guys opinion. Is what it is and in the end none of the opinion pieces matter. Hell, people had positive write up's on John Ross. I  don't care if the guy breaks records or is middle of the pack on stats, I just want the team to win a Championship. This article doesn't prevent that and doesn't bug me. Best way to handle it is to disprove it by winning. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 07:36 PM)BRM13 Wrote: I was a little bit worried about Burrow's age coming out of LSU. The reason that teams pay so much attention to age is that is correlated with a player's ceiling. This is on average, of course, but it matters. An example from baseball: players offensive production peaks around 27. So a good year out of a 22 year old (think Juan Soto or Mike Trout) is different than out of a 27 year old (he likely won't get better), Soto probably will and Trout did. Same thing has been observed in most sports (different ages, but same idea). Superstars mostly emerge younger, peak higher, and are good longer. This also explains the obsession with age in the NBA draft.

How this applies to Bengals, Burrow, and this anonymous quote: Burrow was not Heisman Joe until he was 23, instead of at, say, 21. So, the concern is that his peak won't be as high as if he had emerged a couple of years younger. Two things. First, the age/peak correlation is on average. Burrow might well be an exception. Choosing to claim he's not after the last two weeks (as the anonymous quote implicitly does) is poor timing at best. Really sounds like sour grapes. Second, what if it is true that Burrow won't get a lot better? This is where I eventually came down prior to drafting Burrow. Even if he has less 'room to grow' his peak is damn high already. As a previous poster put it, stack up 12 of these seasons and he's going to Canton. So, IMHO the anonymous quote is based on a truism in sports (truly great players generally aren't late bloomers; there are age cycles that most players careers track) but Burrow doesn't have to get much better to be truly elite, so it doesn't matter that much. Based on YPA he is elite right now.

Btw, this works in our favor with Jamarr Chase. Dude is 21! He was already dominant in college at 19. He has the potential for a very long, exceptional HOF-worthy career if he doesn't get hurt.

I've just rode with the idea that Joe Burrow is a late bloomer, but maybe... just maybe... There are some other circumstances at play. He red shirted at a school that already had a logjam at the QB position. The decision to go with a different guy was made by a guy (who for all of his college greatness) produced one NFL QB. That same coach has also demonstrated serious lapses of good judgement in a multitude of ways over the years. Now Burrow has to transfer, and start all over again. Food for thought I guess.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 10:29 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: because someone has a different opinion than you or the popular opinion doesnt mean they are a dumbass just have a different opinion

No, this guy is a dumbass.. The proof is in the numbers. Idgaf about anything else. Joe gets it done at an elite level and that's all that matters. **** that guy..( Brett Veach) Fun fact. My high-school team played him, he lived up the road in the next County and I got flagged for a helmet to helmet on him.. He did have the state rushing record but I think it's been broke a couple times now..
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 01:33 AM)jason Wrote: I've just rode with the idea that Joe Burrow is a late bloomer, but maybe... just maybe... There are some other circumstances at play. He red shirted at a school that already had a logjam at the QB position. The decision to go with a different guy was made by a guy (who for all of his college greatness) produced one NFL QB. That same coach has also demonstrated serious lapses of good judgement in a multitude of ways over the years. Now Burrow has to transfer, and start all over again. Food for thought I guess.

Burrow also broke his hand/wrist and couldn't practice.  That was a major part of the decision.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I'm picturing this coming from Duke. Just to motivate Burrow even more.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 01:33 AM)jason Wrote: I've just rode with the idea that Joe Burrow is a late bloomer, but maybe... just maybe... There are some other circumstances at play. He red shirted at a school that already had a logjam at the QB position. The decision to go with a different guy was made by a guy (who for all of his college greatness) produced one NFL QB. That same coach has also demonstrated serious lapses of good judgement in a multitude of ways over the years. Now Burrow has to transfer, and start all over again. Food for thought I guess.

I've *always* maintained that....and he mishandled Sunshine big time. Not to mention, it took Smith a while to develop.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 07:36 PM)BRM13 Wrote: I was a little bit worried about Burrow's age coming out of LSU.  The reason that teams pay so much attention to age is that is correlated with a player's ceiling.   This is on average, of course, but it matters.  An example from baseball:  players offensive production peaks around 27.  So a good year out of a 22 year old (think Juan Soto or Mike Trout) is different than out of a 27 year old (he likely won't get better), Soto probably will and Trout did.  Same thing has been observed in most sports (different ages, but same idea).  Superstars mostly emerge younger, peak higher, and are good longer.  This also explains the obsession with age in the NBA draft.

How this applies to Bengals, Burrow, and this anonymous quote:  Burrow was not Heisman Joe until he was 23, instead of at, say, 21.  So, the concern is that his peak won't be as high as if he had emerged a couple of years younger.  Two things.  First, the age/peak correlation is on average.  Burrow might well be an exception.  Choosing to claim he's not after the last two weeks (as the anonymous quote implicitly does) is poor timing at best.  Really sounds like sour grapes.  Second, what if it is true that Burrow won't get a lot better?  This is where I eventually came down prior to drafting Burrow.  Even if he has less 'room to grow' his peak is damn high already.  As a previous poster put it, stack up 12 of these seasons and he's going to Canton. So, IMHO the anonymous quote is based on a truism in sports (truly great players generally aren't late bloomers; there are age cycles that most players careers track) but Burrow doesn't have to get much better to be truly elite, so it doesn't matter that much.  Based on YPA he is elite right now.

Btw, this works in our favor with Jamarr Chase.  Dude is 21!  He was already dominant in college at 19.  He has the potential for a very long, exceptional HOF-worthy career if he doesn't get hurt.

Burrow, never got to play in Ryan Day's offense, and LSU's OC was obviously a problem when Joe Brady can come in and get the best college season ever played out of the same dude who just the year before looked like a day 3 draft pick.

What I'm saying is that in Burrow's case in particular, one shouldn't be surprised it wasn't until his senior season that his real potential was on display cuz that was the first time he started for a good OC running a pro style offense.

Had he been named the starter ahead of Haskins, similar success I'm sure would have occurred.....when he was 22.  He may have hit the league more of a Josh Allen dual threat type due to the influence of Urban still being OSU HC at the time, rather than the technician he became at LSU under Brady and a hands off HC in Orgeron but the talent was there.  Haskins didn't win the job by much and it aint like he stunk at the time, he had a helluva year under Ryan Day while Burrow labored under a shitty OC in 18.

For QB's, their teammates and coach and the system are such a huge part of what one can reasonably expect them to accomplish that these things have to be considered much more than with baseball and basketball players and every other position on a football field for that matter.  Chase for instance, or any receiver...what do they do?  They run fast and catch the ball.  A lot easier to just know what pattern YOU have to run as opposed to a QB, who ideally is another OC on the field.  Bit more of a learning curve there.

That's why Kurt Warner's HOF biography skips the part about him stinking up the joint with the Giants.  He played like a HOFer for the Rams and Cards.  With the Giants he was garbage although clearly, in hindsight, he was NOT the problem.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 01:32 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Eh, it's one guys opinion. Is what it is and in the end none of the opinion pieces matter. Hell, people had positive write up's on John Ross. I  don't care if the guy breaks records or is middle of the pack on stats, I just want the team to win a Championship. This article doesn't prevent that and doesn't bug me. Best way to handle it is to disprove it by winning. 

True.  My point is, he's already proven the opinion this guy just submitted, is a dumb one.  That's all.  That dude's dumb/delusional opinion doesn't affect anything, you're absolutely right about that.

Hell for all we know the writer baited homeboy into that response with a question like "Does Burrow have the best arm in the league?".  A question along those lines I can see producing that type of response.  Cuz arm talent wise, he's average in the NFL and even major college football, you got a lot of dudes with Howitzers hangin from their shoulder.

Thing about that is, for every John Elway, there's about 10 Cardale Jones types.  12 guage can damn near stand in one end zone and throw the ball through the uprights at the other end.  He ain't even in the league.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 01:16 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The one position that I don't really care about age is QB.  I could care less if he comes into the league at 23 or 21.  

And don't kid yourself, the real reason Burrow has been so successful is because of his mental grasp of the game.  I said it before the draft, my comp for him was Peyton Manning at Tennessee.  He didn't have the big arm like Allen or Herbert, but mentally he was just light years ahead of everyone else.

Been a while so not sure but I think a big arm is why Ryan Leaf was the preferred first pick over Peyton, by some, back in 98....Ha, 98, I was 23.

Nobody likes you when you're 23.
Reply/Quote