Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anonymous Agent Wants His TE To Play For Us
An anonymous agent is saying that his tight end wants to play for the Bengals, according to a ProFootballFocus writer at the combine:

Quote:“Completely unprompted, an agent for a prominent free-agent tight end told PFF recently how badly he wanted his client to sign with the Bengals and play with quarterback Joe Burrow.”

That could be just because he knows that we have a lot of money to spend but also maybe he thinks that Burrow would make his client look good and build his resume for a future contract, but, either way, it's good news!

Quote:This is a bit different compared to players like Rob Gronkowski expressing interest in playing for Burrow. Agents play arguably the biggest role in where a player ends up in free agency since their job is to net their clients the best deal possible.

But if one agent is adamant about his client coming to Cincinnati just because of the quarterback instead of the financials, then he may not be alone.

There’s an argument to be made that Burrow can lure free agents to the Bengals. Money will always be a factor to some degree, but if interest in playing with the third-year quarterback is as strong as the perception is, Cincinnati may be able to save a few million and still sign quality talent around him.

We’ll see how effective this strategy is when free agency ensues in two weeks.

Like I said, they may want to come here to play with Burrow and be on a winner, but that makes it sound like they'd choose playing with Burrow over money, which is hard for me to believe.

I think it would have to be a young guy like Gesicki or Shultz, but who knows.

I hope it's true and that Burrow is attracting all kinds of players that want to be a part of his HOF career or even just to chase a ring!

It doesn't seem like the agent is doing it just to make other teams offer more because he's still unknown right now.

I do pray that we go all-out to bring in offensive lineman before we even think about a position like tight end.

There's more in the article.
Reply/Quote
I hope it's Gronk and I hope he is willing to come on a cheaper deal than he is worth. Gronk is an excellent blocker and will be like having an extra tackle out there in a lot of ways. As much as it would be fun to add Gesicki I would much rather see the money he would cost go to OL improvements.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Lotta people on Twitter are saying it's Z. Ertz.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 03:33 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think it would have to be a young guy like Gesicki or Shultz, but who knows.

When I heard the news, I jumped to the same conclusion as you. I'm hopeful it's not someone with declining skills whose better years are behind them, like Ertz. Gesicki intrigues me a lot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 01:06 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: When I heard the news, I jumped to the same conclusion as you. I'm hopeful it's not someone with declining skills whose better years are behind them, like Ertz. Gesicki intrigues me a lot.

I kinda like the idea of Ertz short term, same with Gronk. Good veteran that can still make an impact.

Ertz had more yards in 11 games with the Cardinals than Uzomah did in 16, he still has the talent to help us right now.

Don't get me wrong, if we can get Gesicki I'll take him all day over Ertz but would be fine with Ertz on a 1-2 year deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 08:52 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: Lotta people on Twitter are saying it's Z. Ertz.

Makes sense. Would be all for it too. Rock On

Short term, cheap, might even still be able to bring back Uzo for around 8 mil a year while upgrading the OL.

Want Gronk the most though as BTG said.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 03:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Makes sense. Would be all for it too. Rock On

Short term, cheap, might even still be able to bring back Uzo for around 8 mil a year while upgrading the OL.

Want Gronk the most though as BTG said.

Love Uzomah but in no world is he worth 8 million a year, if he wants to come back on a reasonable deal then get it done.

Can't justify 8 million a year on a guy that didn't crack 500 yards on the year, especially if guys like Ertz and Gronk can be had cheaper or Gesicki can be had for around the same.

Edit : Looked at some TE contracts and maybe that is somewhat reasonable but it's crazy these mediocre TEs are getting this much right now.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 06:19 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Love Uzomah but in no world is he worth 8 million a year, if he wants to come back on a reasonable deal then get it done.

Can't justify 8 million a year on a guy that didn't crack 500 yards on the year, especially if guys like Ertz and Gronk can be had cheaper or Gesicki can be had for around the same.

Yeah, that is a bit spendy for Uzo. Was just taking into account the Njoku deal which was 10 mil a year for a TE of similar
production. I want Uzo back but it would probably have to be around 6 mil a year or so and I think he would gladly take 
that to keep playing with Burrow, bring in Gronk or Ertz to boot and we are sitting much better at TE.

We could also draft a TE like Jelani Woods who is 6'7" and just ran a 4.61 forty or Jake Ferguson out of Wisconsin.
Reply/Quote
OJ Howard....?

Not actually confirmed, but I can see it being plausible given how there were too many mouths to feed in TB and then Brady retiring.
Howard was considered the best TE in the 2017 draft class. He was on track to have a really good season in 2018 before injury. Put up 565-5 in just 10 games prior to injury.
I also think he'll be one of the best value options in the FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 06:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: OJ Howard....?

Not actually confirmed, but I can see it being plausible given how there were too many mouths to feed in TB and then Brady retiring.
Howard was considered the best TE in the 2017 draft class. He was on track to have a really good season in 2018 before injury. Put up 565-5 in just 10 games prior to injury.

This is who I want. I wanted this guy back when we drafted John Ross. Eifert couldn’t be relied upon to stay healthy and I felt adding Howard would give us a great fall back option / TE2.

How’s his blocking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 06:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: OJ Howard....?

I came here to write just that. Howard just made too much sense considering he was a top 10 pick thats being relegated to a 3M/yr contract (per OTC). A year showing out being the bona-fide starter means he's going to get his money.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 07:20 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I came here to write just that. Howard just made too much sense considering he was a top 10 pick thats being relegated to a 3M/yr contract (per OTC). A year showing out being the bona-fide starter means he's going to get his money.

Howard wasn't actually a Top 10 pick. He went 19th.
I don't remember any critical injury concerns with him leading up to the draft that year, but he's definitely been plagued with them to date in the NFL.
And then for some reason, Tampa decided to keep having him timeshare with Cameron Brate before bringing in Gronk.

For the record, Howard was my choice for Bengals selection in 2017. I thought he'd be a great Eifert replacement.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 07:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Howard wasn't actually a Top 10 pick. He went 19th.
I don't remember any critical injury concerns with him leading up to the draft that year, but he's definitely been plagued with them to date in the NFL.
And then for some reason, Tampa decided to keep having him timeshare with Cameron Brate before bringing in Gronk.

For the record, Howard was my choice for Bengals selection in 2017. I thought he'd be a great Eifert replacement.

Maybe thats why I thought he was a top 10, since he was on the boards discussions for the pick. Still, I'd love to bring him in and get a good option for a lowered price tag, even if it is for only a year or two.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 07:39 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Maybe thats why I thought he was a top 10, since he was on the boards discussions for the pick. Still, I'd love to bring him in and get a good option for a lowered price tag, even if it is for only a year or two.

Yea Howard was definitely talked about a lot along with Ross, Barnett, Lattimore, Reddick, Allen, Foster, and Hooker.

It's worth noting that Solomon Thomas is also set to hit FA too.
People liked him a lot (myself included), but most thought he'd never make it to 9.
Quite a few liked him that draft class too, thinking he'd be an ideal 3T.
He could be a cheap, young rotational pass rusher option.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 07:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea Howard was definitely talked about a lot along with Ross, Barnett, Lattimore, Reddick, Allen, Foster, and Hooker.

It's worth noting that Solomon Thomas is also set to hit FA too.
People liked him a lot (myself included), but most thought he'd never make it to 9.
Quite a few liked him that draft class too, thinking he'd be an ideal 3T.
He could be a cheap, young rotational pass rusher option.

Agreed. Now, would you feel confident in him being tapped as your starting 3T or only on a rotational basis?
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 07:48 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Agreed. Now, would you feel confident in him being tapped as your starting 3T or only on a rotational basis?

Oh, only as a rotational guy.
I'd look to ideally bring BJ Hill back and then have a guy like Solomon Thomas, Sheldon Richardson, or Darius Philon as a rotational IDL pass rusher.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 06:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, that is a bit spendy for Uzo. Was just taking into account the Njoku deal which was 10 mil a year for a TE of similar
production. I want Uzo back but it would probably have to be around 6 mil a year or so and I think he would gladly take 
that to keep playing with Burrow, bring in Gronk or Ertz to boot and we are sitting much better at TE.

We could also draft a TE like Jelani Woods who is 6'7" and just ran a 4.61 forty or Jake Ferguson out of Wisconsin.

Not set in stone. That was reported like a week ago and still hasn't materialized. Njoku will probably get more than Uzomah because he's 3 years younger which is a ton, and while you say similar production Njoku played with one of the worst QBs in the league last year. Nobody on the Browns reached even 600 yards receiving last season because Baker was awful.

If mediocre TEs keep getting silly money though, it might be time to just stop using TEs. Lol

That said I would love Gronk or Ertz on a 2 year deal. Having improved production from the TE position in a short term deal would probably be ideal.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'd rather sign Gronk for 2yr/$16M, than Uzomah for, say, 3y/$30M. Uzomah is a solid player and a good locker room guy, but Gronk is a level above him. When a Hall of Famer is available in free agency and openly wants to play alongside your young, franchise QB, only a fool says no. Gronk would make a great red zone target and is still one of the best pure blockers at the TE position. I think he has plenty left in the tank. I love what Uzomah has done for this team, but, especially if at least 2 of Njoku, Gesicki, and Schultz are extended/tagged, somebody will get desperate and overpay.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 03:23 AM)BuildTheWall Wrote: I'd rather sign Gronk for 2yr/$16M, than Uzomah for, say, 3y/$30M. Uzomah is a solid player and a good locker room guy, but Gronk is a level above him. When a Hall of Famer is available in free agency and openly wants to play alongside your young, franchise QB, only a fool says no. Gronk would make a great red zone target and is still one of the best pure blockers at the TE position. I think he has plenty left in the tank. I love what Uzomah has done for this team, but, especially if at least 2 of Njoku, Gesicki, and Schultz are extended/tagged, somebody will get desperate and overpay.

I believe the Bengals let CJ test the market. This plays into the Bengals favor if they want him back for cheaper than his agent is telling him he's worth. I love UZO, but the truth is, he wasn't anything special until Burrow showed up. And yes, the skill is there in Free Agency. I don't see how we don't upgrade at that position. Even if its a prove it deal for OJH, or breaking the bank on a Gesicki. I want CJ back for the right price.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 08:13 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: I believe the Bengals let CJ test the market. This plays into the Bengals favor if they want him back for cheaper than his agent is telling him he's worth. I love UZO, but the truth is, he wasn't anything special until Burrow showed up. And yes, the skill is there in Free Agency. I don't see how we don't upgrade at that position. Even if its a prove it deal for OJH, or breaking the bank on a Gesicki. I want CJ back for the right price.

I think so too. On paper the TE class looks great, but I expect Gesicki to both be tagged, and Njoku and Schultz to both be extended. That leaves Uzo, OJ, and Gronk as the biggest names. I really think that a team like, maybe the Chargers(?) offers CJ the bag. They really like Gesicki, per rumors, but I have a hard time seeing the Dolphins letting him go.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote