Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Slight Against Native American Peoples
(07-27-2015, 11:32 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So civilized that they ate other humans?  There were several of these tribes.    Come on man.   They got colonized and lost their lands.    It sucks for them but it happened.  

If it bothers you so much then hand over your land and belongings to the next indian you see.

Rolleyes

http://www.native-languages.org/iaq13.htm

Quote:Q: Were Native Americans cannibals? 

A: Not for the most part, no, but there were some groups who were. The Aztecs were notorious for ritual cannibalism (warriors would eat a strip of flesh from enemies they had slain in combat). Some people dispute this, but the Aztecs' own written and oral histories seem to support it as the truth. The Karankawa tribe of southeast Texas was also said to practice ritual cannibalism on defeated enemies. There were a few Amazonian tribes who practiced funerary cannibalism (family and friends would eat part of a dead tribal member's body as a religious ceremony at the funeral). Finally, the Carib people of South America were said to kill and eat prisoners of war, though it's been pointed out that the Spaniards who made this claim were lining their own pockets by doing so (Queen Isabella had forbidden her subjects from selling Africans, or Indians, as slaves unless they were cannibals). 

None of the other 1200 Native American cultures engaged in culturally sanctioned cannibalism at the time of European contact. That doesn't mean cannibalism never happened--there were certainly stories in the American Indian oral history about cannibalistic incidents (a hunting party trapped in a snowstorm who fell to eating each other, a war chief who taunted captives by striking them in the face with their leader's heart and then taking a bite out of it.) Such incidents also occurred in American and European history under similar starving-in-the-wilderness and war-atrocity circumstances (a company of Crusaders, for example, bragged of having grilled and eaten a Saracen; a Jamestown settler was executed for cannibalizing his wife during a famine). Cannibalism should not be considered part of American Indian culture on this account any more than it would be considered part of European or American culture--it was culturally unacceptable behavior. The Sioux considered cannibalism a sin, the Cree considered it a mental illness, the Algonquin and Ojibwe considered it a sign of possession by an evil spirit. In almost all cases, American Indian cannibals--just like European or American cannibals--were put to death as soon as they were discovered. 

Q: But weren't they cannibals before that--in ancient times, before European contact? 
A: Most of them definitely were not. It's been suggested that the pre-Iroquois Mohawk and the ancient Anasazi may have practiced group cannibalism. This is possible, though it has not been proven. The Mohawk were called "man-eaters" by their Algonquian enemies on account of this belief about their lurid past. Some Mohawks think it was probably true, others that you shouldn't give too much credence to slurs people's enemies cast at their ancestors. The claim about the ancient Anasazi came more recently, when anthropologists found a burial site with skeletons whose flesh had apparently been hacked off the bones after their death. Personally, I'm not too impressed by that evidence. Even if those bodies were cut up for cannibalistic purposes, we're talking about one anomalous site with only seven bodies in it. Of the hundreds of ancient Indian burial sites exhumed by archaeologists--including dozens of Anasazi ones--this was the only one with this strange appearance. For all we know it was the work of some Anasazi psychopath. We can't assume ancient Anasazi culture included cannibalism from this one unusual case any more than we could say American culture includes cannibalism because of Ted Bundy or Jeffrey Dahmer. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-27-2015, 09:05 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: LTFOL. 

You're omitting lies told to natives by us, and by us I mean the French, Spanish and every other European country that came to North America. We are them. 

But that's not what's so ***** funny. The funny part is you believe natives weren't civilized. Only savages would commit genocide in the manners in which we did. Only savages could lie in manners that we did. Just because they were simple in ways we may not understand doesn't make them less human and because they are human they have 'certain unalienable rights' granted to them through their creator. That we trampled on without regard or remorse. 

White people... amirite?

Just like Black people in Africa were the first to sell their own race into slavery, during that same time period, right?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-28-2015, 10:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just like Black people in Africa were the first to sell their own race into slavery, during that same time period, right?

Yes they did.

Taking advantage of poor innocent white folk who didn't know any better and bought black people!

The horrors!

Good white folk knew better than to sell fellow whites into slavery!  

Ninja
(07-28-2015, 10:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: Rolleyes

http://www.native-languages.org/iaq13.htm

So you quote me to say that I am correct. Thanks
(07-28-2015, 10:27 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So you quote me to say that I am correct.   Thanks

More to point out the hyperbole you used.

I guess since you are from Florida you must try to eat people's faces on the side of the road?

I've seen news reports about it.

Rolleyes
(07-28-2015, 10:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yes they did.

Taking advantage of poor innocent white folk who didn't know any better and bought black people!

The horrors!

Good white folk knew better than to sell fellow whites into slavery!  

Ninja

Given your ninja smiley, I'm guessing you are aware of the Irish slave trade ?
ThumbsUp
(07-28-2015, 10:35 PM)GMDino Wrote: More to point out the hyperbole you used.

I guess since you are from Florida you must try to eat people's faces on the side of the road?

I've seen news reports about it.

Rolleyes

Were their indians who participated in canibolism..... Yes several tribes .... End of story.

For your comparison to work you would need several cities in Florida for eat faces in mass numbers.

Nice try.
(07-28-2015, 10:44 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Given your ninja smiley, I'm guessing you are aware of the Irish slave trade ?
ThumbsUp

Casually.

I'm just more aware that if there is one group of people who has power over another they aren't about suing them for monetary gain.
(07-28-2015, 10:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Were their indians who participated in  canibolism..... Yes several tribes .... End of story.    

For your comparison to work you would need several cities in Florida for eat faces in mass numbers.      

Nice try.

You didn't read what I posted...at all.

All I need to show is that it happened.  Maybe more than once.  

Wait!  I'm sorry.  I forgot.  Dark skin, violent, the Indians were "savages".  My bad.   Rolleyes
(07-28-2015, 09:54 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Forgot to add this earlier.
Only the older guys will recognize it.
ThumbsUp

[Image: crying%20native_zpsq7cst1kp.gif]

Wasn't that guy mostly Italian?  Insensitivity at it's best! Same with Chief Jay Strongbow! I bet he really wasn't even a Chief!
(07-29-2015, 09:56 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Wasn't that guy mostly Italian?  Insensitivity at it's best!  Same with Chief Jay Strongbow!  I bet he really wasn't even a Chief!

Yeah, he was Sicilian.
He was ahead of the curve, being trans-racial.
ThumbsUp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Eyes_Cody
(07-28-2015, 10:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just like Black people in Africa were the first to sell their own race into slavery, during that same time period, right?

This logic is very popular with my nine year old daughter.

"But Daddy, they were doing it too!!!"
(07-29-2015, 09:56 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Wasn't that guy mostly Italian?  Insensitivity at it's best!  Same with Chief Jay Strongbow!  I bet he really wasn't even a Chief!

I think he was Italian.  This played in the 70s, I think.  I'm one of the oldies so yes I remember it well.
(07-29-2015, 01:14 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think he was Italian.  This played in the 70s, I think.  I'm one of the oldies so yes I remember it well.
They played it a lot, during Saturday Night Live.
(Back when it was good)
Big Grin
(07-29-2015, 02:12 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: They played it a lot, during Saturday Night Live.
(Back when it was good)
Big Grin

I remember it airing mostly during Saturday morning cartoons. 
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
(07-29-2015, 02:26 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I remember it airing mostly during Saturday morning cartoons. 

Yeah, you're right !
I recall that as well.
I'm sure the targeted demographic was children and young adults.
(07-27-2015, 08:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I do feel for them.   But they also could do what anyone who is conquered does.... And just flee south or north.    You can't tell me that there wasnt resources elsewhere.    

I realize this sounds really cold.   But that's how it's worked with humanity since forever.    At least we didn't enslave them and sell them abroad.   Like the Africans did .....    I know that's not much of feel good moment.   But it could have gotten a whole lot worse unfortunately.

We did enslave them first. It's not an advertised history lesson, try reading some other stuff.

http://nativeamericanhistory.about.com/od/controversies/a/The-Untold-History-Of-American-Indian-Slavery.htm
(07-29-2015, 08:51 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: We did enslave them first. It's not an advertised history lesson, try reading some other stuff.

http://nativeamericanhistory.about.com/od/controversies/a/The-Untold-History-Of-American-Indian-Slavery.htm

Well so be it ... I don't begrudge the slave trade era .... It's how their economy worked. And it was done on a large scale worldwide.

We still trade in humans today. Sex, manual labour, you name it .... Problem is now we don't need them to run our economy. So there is no excuse.
(07-29-2015, 09:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well so be it ...   I don't begrudge the slave trade era ....  It's how their economy worked.   And it was done on a large scale worldwide.  

We still trade in humans today.   Sex, manual labour, you name it ....    Problem is now we don't need them to run our economy.    So there is no excuse.

That was NEVER a good excuse!!

Cripes.

"I feel really bad that we enslaved a large part of the population...but we HAD to get the cotton picked!  Why do you hate capitalism?!?!"

Rolleyes
(07-29-2015, 09:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: That was NEVER a good excuse!!

Cripes.

"I feel really bad that we enslaved a large part of the population...but we HAD to get the cotton picked!  Why do you hate capitalism?!?!"

Rolleyes

It's easy to play Monday morning qb. Is it a bad deal .... Yes.... But was the large part of the African population enslaved? Seems if that was the case the Africans wouldn't have sold each other.

What's kinda odd is that your upset over the slave trade but your ok with using babies to harvest organs. Isn't that juat forcing humans to do something against their will?