Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Another mass shooting
(04-11-2023, 08:16 PM)samhain Wrote: I'd actually have more respect for the right if they'd just come out and say they don't give a shit so long as it isn't their kids.  Like full Trump on steroids, lib-smashing, I don't give a shit about anyone but me honesty.  It would be refreshing.

Charlie Kirk said that dead kids was the price we had to pay for the 2nd amendment

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 01:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Man charged with shooting boy who knocked wrong door

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65307047

What a fine week we've had.

An aspect of this story that is getting brushed over is that, after he was shot, Ralph Yarl had to go to three different neighbors’ houses before someone was willing to help him. And even then, they demanded he lie down on the ground and raise his hands above his head while suffering from gunshot wounds before they would help him.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 01:45 PM)pally Wrote: Charlie Kirk said that dead kids was the price we had to pay for the 2nd amendment

At least, it's clear. 

If other people kids has to die for him to show off with a gun, it's a price he's ready to pay.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 02:43 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: An aspect of this story that is getting brushed over is that, after he was shot, Ralph Yarl had to go to three different neighbors’ houses before someone was willing to help him. And even then, they demanded he lie down on the ground and raise his hands above his head while suffering from gunshot wounds before they would help him.

Racism is over in America. Didn't you hear?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 08:54 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Get a grip. Viewing this forum is like sitting in the audience of The View.

Sort of, maybe--

[Image: whoopi-goldberg-donald-trump-fight-argue...6c3b3b.jpg]
[Image: 5dc4541f3afd3713af0ce7fc?width=700]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 01:45 PM)pally Wrote: Charlie Kirk said that dead kids was the price we had to pay for the 2nd amendment

I know the constitution and rights are involved, but how can people get so upset at the idea of paying my student loans but get so not upset at the idea of their kids facing battlefield-grade fire and dying battlefield-grade deaths for my right to own assault rifles?

It's interesting the things we are and are not willing to sacrifice for people who aren't us. As someone who doesn't have kids, the idea of other people's kids dying for my right to own any gun seems a bit unfair since I don't have any kids that can die for your right to do the same. Lucky me.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 01:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I guess this can go here, but man it's hard to just not have an issue with all the guns in this country when it sure seems like a lot of people are just dying for a "reason" to shoot someone.

Man Charged With Murder in Shooting of Woman Who Went Up Wrong Driveway
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/17/nyregion/man-charged-kaylin-gillis-driveway-shooting.htm

Man charged with shooting boy who knocked wrong door

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65307047

What a fine week we've had.

Many, many years ago I was sitting on my couch after getting home from a 4th of July party.  It was past midnight and the wife was sleeping.  I was approaching over served territory.  I guess he saw the TV on, but out of nowhere an older teenager, who happened to be black knocked on my front door.  I'd never had a person knock on my front door at midnight, and I did not know who this kid was.  

Being somewhat inebriated, I answered the door almost immediately.  I was also afraid that the knocking would wake my wife up.  I opened the door.  The kid apologized to me and told me that my car was in the driveway with the lights on.  I thanked him and he went on his way.  

I'm a fairly high strung guy, and maybe there were better ways to handle a situation as unusual as a stranger knocking on the door at night.  I'm also not 85 years old.  My dementia status is debatable.  I was aware of the abnormality of the situation, but shooting the kid never really popped into my list of options.
Reply/Quote
https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/19/us/dadeville-alabama-birthday-party-shooting-wednesday/index.html

Another one.
Reply/Quote
There was a shooting in Texas yet CNNs lead is an “essay” on racism.

Can’t lead with the shooting because it wasn’t a white male doing it.

The media is awful.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 10:41 AM)basballguy Wrote: There was a shooting in Texas yet CNNs lead is an “essay” on racism.

The media is awful.

I have moved to using ground.news as my main news site now. It's an aggregator. I've grown tired of the media tribalism that is prevalent today. It works pretty well. I end up reading BBC or Reuters articles most of the time, I think, but I also end up reading plenty of local sources that I never would have found otherwise. Works pretty well. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 10:41 AM)basballguy Wrote: There was a shooting in Texas yet CNNs lead is an “essay” on racism.

The media is awful.

Thanks for the link to the incident and the commentary on why YOU think CNN didn't "lead" with it.

Very helpful.  Mellow

I mean it is listed as both "Trending" and on their US page.  

https://www.cnn.com/us

By why let that get in the way of a "what about the white people" post.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/30/us/cleveland-texas-shooting-sunday/index.html

Quote:[color=var(--theme-headline__text-color)]‘He could be anywhere now:’ Search continues for Texas man suspected of killing his neighbors after being asked to stop firing his rifle outdoors

By Nouran Salahieh, CNN
Updated 1:46 AM EDT, Sun April 30, 2023
[/color]

Suspect at large after five people fatally shot 'execution style' in Texas

02:45 - Source: CNN

CNN — 
The FBI is helping in the manhunt for a gunman accused of shooting and killing five people – including a child – at a Cleveland, Texas, home after neighbors asked him to stop firing his rifle outdoors, officials said.

“We consider him armed and dangerous,” said FBI Houston Special Agent in Charge James Smith. “He’s out there, and he’s a threat to the community.”

Francisco Oropeza, 38, allegedly opened fire on his neighbors Friday night after they asked him to stop shooting a rifle in his yard because a baby was trying to sleep, San Jacinto County Sheriff Greg Capers said Saturday.

After declining their request, the suspect at some point was seen in footage from a doorbell camera approaching the neighbors’ front door with a rifle, according to Capers.
[Image: 230429170013-02-cleveland-texas-shooting...280,c_fill]
Exterior of a crime scene where five people, including an 8-year-old child, were killed after a shooting inside a home on Friday in Cleveland, Texas.

Go Nakamura/Getty Images

Multiple people were later found dead around the home in different rooms, including two female victims in a bedroom who authorities believe used their bodies to shield two young children who survived, Capers said.

Those killed were shot “almost execution style,” above the neck at close range, the sheriff said.

Investigators initially began tracking Oropeza using his cell phone, but say the trail went cold Saturday evening.

“He could be anywhere now,” Capers said in a Saturday news conference. Cleveland is about 40 miles northeast of downtown Houston.

The victims were identified as Sonia Argentina Gúzman, 25; Diana Velázquez Alvarado, 21; Julisa Molina Rivera, 31; José Jonathan Cásarez, 18; and Daniel Enrique Laso-Guzman, 8.

Five other people who were home during the rampage were not hurt. Three children were found covered in blood and were taken to a hospital, but were not injured, the sheriff said earlier Saturday.

Some of the individuals inside the home had moved there from Houston just days ago, according to the sheriff.
[Image: 56a492054cc9bc7ddfdd764c4050eeba.png]
Wilson Paz, the Honduras director general of migrant protection, confirmed to CNN that all five victims are Honduran.

Honduras’ foreign minister, Enrique Reina, said on social media, “We demand that the full weight of the law be applied against those who are responsible for this crime,” adding that the Honduran consulate in Houston is making contact with the families of the victims as it learns more about the investigation.

The FBI Houston Field Office is assisting the sheriff’s office in the search for Oropeza, the agency announced in a Saturday tweet.

The attack joins a list of more than 170 mass shootings that have happened in the US so far this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive. Both CNN and the archive define a “mass shooting” as a shooting that injured or killed four or more people, not including the shooter.

‘I’ll do what I want to in my front yard’
[Image: 230429143649-cleveland-texas-shooting-su...280,c_fill]
Francisco Oropeza

San Jacinto County Sheriff's Office

There had been previous calls for service about the suspect for shooting his rifle in the front yard, the sheriff told reporters Saturday.
The suspect was known to shoot a .223 rifle, according to Capers. Shell casings were also found outside the home after the shooting.

[/url][Image: 220929135134-01-robb-elementary-memorial...256,c_fill]

The US in 2022 saw highest number of 'active shooter' casualties -- deaths or injuries -- of the past 5 years, FBI report finds
[url=https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/26/us/us-active-shooter-incidents-2022-fbi/index.html]
“The victims, they came over to the fence said, ‘Hey, could you mind not shooting out in the yard. We have a young baby that is trying to go sleep,’” Capers said.

The suspect, who had been drinking, responded, “I’ll do what I want to in my front yard,” police said.

Deputies were already on their way to the home for a harassment complaint about 11:30 p.m. Friday when they got multiple 911 calls about an active shooter at the same location, according to the San Jacinto County Sheriff’s Office.
[Image: 230429184542-05-cleveland-texas-shooting...280,c_fill]
Law enforcement search for the suspect a few miles from the scene where five people, including an 8-year-old child, were killed after a shooting inside a home on April 29, 2023 in Cleveland, Texas.

Go Nakamura/Getty Images

A SWAT team descended on the neighborhood – searching and clearing adjacent properties – and eventually determined that the gunman had fled the scene.

“We don’t believe him to be in the area,” the sheriff said Saturday morning, adding that the suspect was believed to be at least 10 to 20 miles away from the crime scene.

Oropeza’s cell phone was found abandoned, along with articles of clothing, Capers said. “The tracking dogs from Texas Department of Corrections picked up the scent, and then they lost that scent,” the sheriff said.

Authorities found at least three weapons inside the suspect’s home and spoke to the suspect’s wife, the sheriff said.

CNN’s Rosa Flores, Andy Rose, Keith Allen, Raja Razek and Ray Sanchez contributed to this report.

At least FOX has it on the front page...

https://www.foxnews.com/

Anyway thanks, I guess, for pointing out again how America and states like Texas have a huge gun problem.

And before it starts you brought up the "wasn't a white male" defense.  Carry on.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 12:13 PM)GMDino Wrote: Thanks for the link to the incident and the commentary on why YOU think CNN didn't "lead" with it.

Very helpful.  Mellow

I mean it is listed as both "Trending" and on their US page.  

https://www.cnn.com/us

By why let that get in the way of a "what about the white people" post.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/30/us/cleveland-texas-shooting-sunday/index.html

At least FOX has it on the front page...

https://www.foxnews.com/

Anyway thanks, I guess, for pointing out again how America and states like Texas have a huge gun problem.

And before it starts you brought up the "wasn't a white male" defense.  Carry on.

I didn't realize you weren't familiar with CNN's url.  My bad....  it's http://www.cnn.com   Ninja

And i didn't say front page, i said "lead"...meaning the top story.  If i go there right now on my phone, I see a Desantis piece now up top followed by the racism essay (it was top when i made this post) followed by a disney princess race piece.  

Last weekend, CNN was leading with an "investigative" piece about these two black guys that went MIA "after getting into a car with a white deputy" 20 or 30 years ago.

Anyways you're completely missing the point as usual.  The point is CNN prefers pushing divisive content around racism and this latest shooting doesn't help that narrative.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 02:48 PM)basballguy Wrote: I didn't realize you weren't familiar with CNN's url.  My bad....  it's http://www.cnn.com   Ninja

And i didn't say front page, i said "lead"...meaning the top story.  If i go there right now on my phone, I see a Desantis piece now up top followed by the racism essay (it was top when i made this post) followed by a disney princess race piece.  

Last weekend, CNN was leading with an "investigative" piece about these two black guys that went MIA "after getting into a car with a white deputy" 20 or 30 years ago.  

Anyways you're completely missing the point as usual.  The point is CNN prefers pushing divisive content around racism and this latest shooting doesn't help that narrative.

It WAS the lead story on CNN...yesterday.  It is sadly a testament to how quickly these stories are old news. It simply happens too many times anymore. The cynic in me suspects the only reason it still is on Fox is because the suspect isn't the usual right-wing camo-wearing white male like in so many other mass murders

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 02:48 PM)basballguy Wrote: I didn't realize you weren't familiar with CNN's url.  My bad....  it's http://www.cnn.com   Ninja

It took one click to see the story and the story was on the first page also. Mellow

I realize your point was about "racism"...but I don't think you understand what it means.  Stick to FOX for the "truth" that fits your narrative. Cool
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 03:12 PM)pally Wrote: It WAS the lead story on CNN...yesterday.  It is sadly a testament to how quickly these stories are old news. It simply happens too many times anymore. The cynic in me suspects the only reason it still is on Fox is because the suspect isn't the usual right-wing camo-wearing white male like in so many other mass murders

Agreed.  Unfortunately I'd say that shootings should be breaking news due to their nature, but something that happens on a daily basis in the country isn't particularly newsworthy, in a sense.  In a way shootings are like car accidents.  We all know they exist and happen all the time but it really isn't impactful unless someone you know is involved in it and even then it's "welp, just one of those bad luck kinda things."

As for it not being a white dude, well if people really want gun control I'd say showing nonwhite people using lax gun laws to arm themselves and wreak havoc is a good table to pound.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 02:48 PM)basballguy Wrote: Anyways you're completely missing the point as usual.  The point is CNN prefers pushing divisive content around racism and this latest shooting doesn't help that narrative.

So, you'd like them to focus on a story that can itself be divisive because you perceive it to favor your point of view? Gotcha.

I mean, I can look at any news story and come up with angles to use to turn it into a wedge issue. We see it happening all the time on the entertainment-masquerading-as-news networks. Editorial discretion on what to push and when is notoriously one of the most frequently used tools to insert bias into news media.

Quite frankly, the fact you inserted race into this is itself very telling. I could easily see this story picked up by left-wing media and used to denigrate lax gun laws. Here we have Texas, one of the most firearm friendly states, where someone had complaints against him to law enforcement for discharging his firearm in his yard in a neighborhood, yet he was still allowed to possess those firearms after demonstrating such wanton disregard for public safety. The narrative surrounding this can go in many directions.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 11:05 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I have moved to using ground.news as my main news site now. It's an aggregator. I've grown tired of the media tribalism that is prevalent today. It works pretty well. I end up reading BBC or Reuters articles most of the time, I think, but I also end up reading plenty of local sources that I never would have found otherwise. Works pretty well. 

I never thought I'd say it, but Drudge Report is my main source for news these days.  I know they have a historical reputation for being heavily conservative, but I find them to be about as even as anyone.  Also, an aggregator, which is a plus.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 04:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: It took one click to see the story and the story was on the first page also. Mellow

I realize your point was about "racism"...but I don't think you understand what it means.  Stick to FOX for the "truth" that fits your narrative. Cool

iT wAs On ThE fRoNt PaGe!   Sad   It's cool you're completely ignoring what i said about lead stories.

I pity you.

All i was saying is CNN loves pushing racism narratives...especially antiwhite narratives.  You can blow it up into whatever you want.

PS, i don't use FOX...as I've said multiple times.  CNN is my primary news source.  (I also use news.google.com but I filter out a lot of the bullshit like Vox and Salon). 

Perhaps it's my fault for assuming you read everything I post.  
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 09:18 PM)samhain Wrote: I never thought I'd say it, but Drudge Report is my main source for news these days.  I know they have a historical reputation for being heavily conservative, but I find them to be about as even as anyone.  Also, an aggregator, which is a plus.

Kinda related, I used to love getting my (headline) news from Deadspin.  It's been years since i've even visited the site but I always enjoyed their no bullshit takes on normal news events when they covered them. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 03:12 PM)pally Wrote: It WAS the lead story on CNN...yesterday.  It is sadly a testament to how quickly these stories are old news. It simply happens too many times anymore. The cynic in me suspects the only reason it still is on Fox is because the suspect isn't the usual right-wing camo-wearing white male like in so many other mass murders

I'll have to take this at face value.  I didn't see as a lead story (though it's possible I missed it).  I didn't even know a shooting had occurred until this morning and it's not like I was off the grid or anything.  

That aside, I can buy into the idea that we're over saturated by the recurrence of the shootings.  I guess the only way to know for certain if what I'm bitching about is valid or not is to wait for the next shooting and then to judge...which is probably gonna be in 2 days.
Reply/Quote