Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.14 Average
Antonio Brown 10x better than AJ
(12-11-2017, 02:15 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Folks here act like elite WR grow on trees. Be happy we have a dynamic playmaker....one that is actually on the field and produces at a very high level.

I don't think anyone is questioning AJ's talent level. Just saying that he has crunch time woes just like anyone else on this team, and he has cost us a couple games with his gaffs this year. Like I said, I blame that on the Bengals culture of choking.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Let's not forget that Big Ben did have 66 Pass Attempts last night, AB was bound to catch something!

AB thrives as a piece of a dynamic offense. AJ is the ONLY piece on his dismal offense.

Tough to compare. Both are great players.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 02:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't think anyone is questioning AJ's talent level. Just saying that he has crunch time woes just like anyone else on this team, and he has cost us a couple games with his gaffs this year. Like I said, I blame that on the Bengals culture of choking.

He also won us the Bills game, but I guess that doesn't fit the narrative set by jj. People are just trying to find someone to slam, and of all people you want to start slamming is AJ? Next is our HOFer Geno? Dunlap?

I get it, but I don't get it. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The narrative being set that AJ needs a HOF QB to produce up to his potential is far more damning than any narrative I set. All I said was he wasn't clutch. Which has merit. But like Shake said, none of our "elite" stars are. That's as much on the FO/Coaches.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 02:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The big issue here is that the organization is such a mess from the top down that fans can't identify the issues and mistake causation with correlation.

All I can say is that IF you switched Green onto the Steelers and Brown on the Bengals...AJ Green would be better than Brown.

What does that say?

Well, sure. Like Shake said, we 100% have a culture problem. We don't have the leadership needed to get this team to where it needs to go. That makes a HUGE difference in football. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 02:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: The narrative being set that AJ needs a HOF QB to produce up to his potential is far more damning than any narrative I set. All I said was he wasn't clutch. Which has merit. But like Shake said, none of our "elite" stars are. That's as much on the FO/Coaches.

How can we determine "clutch? Touchdowns? One WR has a career total of 57 TDs and the other has 59. Name those two WRs.
Reply/Quote
Antonio Brown becomes borderline invisible when Roethlisberger is out. I don't think he's ten times better than AJ Green.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
There are only two receivers that are top tier elite: Antonio Brown and Julio Jones. Coincidentally they play for one of the few first rate organizations in the league.

Then there are a few receivers that are second tier elite or whatever you want to call it, and that group includes AJ.

Unfortunately for AJ, he is on the Bengals, a team whose fans trashed on Carson and Chad who were a big part of changing things around. So there ya go.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 02:54 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: He also won us the Bills game, but I guess that doesn't fit the narrative set by jj. People are just trying to find someone to slam, and of all people you want to start slamming is AJ? Next is our HOFer Geno? Dunlap?

He also damn near lost us the Bills game, played a big role in the Steelers loss, and a couple others this year by either disappearing, dropping passes, fumbling or batting passes in the air. It hasn't been a good year for someone making $15 million to play WR. Several announcers have even knocked AJ this year. Remember Gruden saying "if you're AJ Green, you gotta catch that"?

Geno and Dunlap have been slammed plenty on these boards. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do. I'm just pointing out that AJ Green is the only player on this team where people act repulsed by even a hint of criticism. No one is saying he sucks. Just saying that he's not playing like AJ Green. I personally think this team would look entirely different with a good coaching staff in place, but if you're going to slam some players, AJ shouldn't be off-limits. Heck, he's the face of the team, so more should be expected from him. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:57 AM)Utts Wrote: Oh boy. Not this thread again.

wait you didn't get to start it this time?
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 09:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I rank Dalton higher among the starting QBs than I do AJ among starting WRs. 

Wow just wow 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 02:54 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: He also won us the Bills game, but I guess that doesn't fit the narrative set by jj. People are just trying to find someone to slam, and of all people you want to start slamming is AJ? Next is our HOFer Geno? Dunlap?

"ELITE" WRs make those plays... AJ doesn't... its pretty simple...  He won the bills game sure after he tried to give it away twice.

AJ is great but not elite like we want to think.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 03:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He also damn near lost us the Bills game, played a big role in the Steelers loss, and a couple others this year by either disappearing, dropping passes, fumbling or batting passes in the air. It hasn't been a good year for someone making $15 million to play WR. Several announcers have even knocked AJ this year. Remember Gruden saying "if you're AJ Green, you gotta catch that"?

Geno and Dunlap have been slammed plenty on these boards. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do. I'm just pointing out that AJ Green is the only player on this team where people act repulsed by even a hint of criticism. No one is saying he sucks. Just saying that he's not playing like AJ Green. I personally think this team would look entirely different with a good coaching staff in place, but if you're going to slam some players, AJ shouldn't be off-limits. Heck, he's the face of the team, so more should be expected from him. 

I never said he didn't warrant criticism or blame, but that of all the blame and criticism to be passed around, I would think there's many others that are ahead of him. 

Seems more like this:

[Image: 6ac.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 03:38 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I never said he didn't warrant criticism or blame, but that of all the blame and criticism to be passed around, I would think there's many others that are ahead of him. 

Seems more like this:

[Image: 6ac.jpg]

I don't disagree. I'm just questioning everything at this point. Losing does that.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:53 AM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: I am going to retire my AJ jersey and going to go buy a Vontaze  Burfict jersey.

This sums up your post and the lack of intelligence put into it. I'll agree that Antonio Brown is probably better then A.J. but to say he's 10x better would literally put his power level over 9000.
Reply/Quote
I got on AJ pretty hard 2013/14 time frame for being soft, at times. And he hasn't always been "clutch" he's had several drops, fumbles, half running routes moments in crunch time. But he's had a lot of big time catches as well.

But I think a lot of what happened yesterday to AJ is the same affliction the rest of the team has - apathy, they've checked out. They have lost hope and given up on the Mike and Marv show.

I'm not saying it's right nor am I saying I like it. But I'm not sure I can blame them, including AJ.

Mike Brown flipped the bird to this team this off season and that's sitting in now.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 03:38 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: "ELITE" WRs make those plays... AJ doesn't... its pretty simple...  He won the bills game sure after he tried to give it away twice.

AJ is great but not elite like we want to think.

And AB is not 10x better than him either. Thus I am calling out the lie. For heavens sake the dude is the worst human being known to man.

I guess I don't understand what we're arguing here? Semantics? He probably fits somewhere in the top 8 of WRs, but that's not good enough for some people? Maybe he doesn't deserve to be on this star-studded team of elite players? 

I guess I get a little upset when someone puts up a crap thread downplaying a good player. Does he have shortcomings? Yes. 

Is he 10 WORSE than AB? No. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 03:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't disagree. I'm just questioning everything at this point. Losing does that.

Shake, sir, I don't mind at all discussing his shortcomings but lets do so being objective 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 03:47 PM)Sweetness Wrote: This sums up your post and the lack of intelligence put into it. I'll agree that Antonio Brown is probably better then A.J. but to say he's 10x better would literally put his power level over 9000.

[Image: his-power-level-its-over-9000-8743.jpg?r...pg&fit=max]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 03:55 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Shake, sir, I don't mind at all discussing his shortcomings but lets do so being objective 

If you're talking about the title of this thread and a few of the posts, yeah some of it is over the top.
Reply/Quote