Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Ideas for a BOLD move that could set the Bengals up for Greater Success ?
(01-05-2024, 05:17 PM)depthchart Wrote: Thanks and you have some good ideas.

I think two things are guiding me here:

1. Saving money to use in other areas by Trading Tee while getting a solid replacement for him.

2. How Christian McCaffrey fit so well with the 49ers.  

Is there a move like that the Bengals could make ? say sign Saquon Barkley for example. Could Barkley have a McCaffrey type effect ?

Hmmm, good thought with Saquon Barkley. Thought he would be way too expensive in FA so I never even thought about him until now.

But to trade Tee for him? I don't know if it is possible but it is something I have never thought about before.

Christian Wilkins would also be another nice trade thought since the Dolphins might want some size at WR instead of all speed and Wilkins
would fit our needs big time, the same as Madubuike. I just don't think we will pursure Chris Jones with his age and price tag. We should go 
after a younger DT in FA whichever way we go about it.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 05:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hmmm, good thought with Saquon Barkley. Thought he would be way too expensive in FA so I never even thought about him until now.

But to trade Tee for him? I don't know if it is possible but it is something I have never thought about before.

Christian Wilkins would also be another nice trade thought since the Dolphins might want some size at WR instead of all speed and Wilkins
would fit our needs big time, the same as Madubuike. I just don't think we will pursure Chris Jones with his age and price tag. We should go 
after a younger DT in FA whichever way we go about it.

They wouldn't have to Trade for Barkley. He will be a Free Agent in 2024.

The Chris Jones idea takes away the Chiefs best Defensive player and puts him on the Bengals.

Your idea to take the Ravens DT away from them is a good one. 
Reply/Quote
Tagging Tee Higgins is a no brainer but you can't look at it as a trade first scenario.

You tag Tee Higgins because you get a multi-year proven 100+ target 70+ rec 6+ td wide receiver for 2024 on a 1 year 20.7m fully guaranteed deal.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well if we're REALLY talking Bold how about:

Tailor the schemes on both sides on the ball to the talents of the players. This means getting under center more (not mostly just more) and moving away from spread concepts and let the linemen block downhill. Defensively if the speedy youth can't execute the scheme install something they CAN execute.

Then...

Sign Chris Jones AND go DT in Round 1 - double down on DT to truly fix it. And get a power back who breaks tackles (someone like Estime perhaps). Tag and trade Tee I guess.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 03:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's a bold idea.  Hire an expanded team of experienced scouts to not only identify player talent with the specific skill sets to implement what the Bengals want to accomplish on the field, but also to identify up and coming coaches who utilizing innovative methods to get tremendous growth and development from their players.

I second this suggestion 
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 05:28 PM)depthchart Wrote: They wouldn't have to Trade for Barkley. He will be a Free Agent in 2024.

The Chris Jones idea takes away the Chiefs best Defensive player and puts him on the Bengals.

Your idea to take the Ravens DT away from them is a good one. 

Ahhh, completely get it. Yes, taking away some of our rival's best players is always something I smile at the thought of.PervertClapping
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 04:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Also Hunter Henry.

I do wonder about Gerald Everett as well, as he didn't have a great year (his decreasing AVG is worrying) but that kind of seemed to be the entire Chargers offense struggling this year.

Basically my thought is while you're right it's not an ideal year for it, we only have 1 WR with at least 100 career receiving yards and 0 TEs regardless of yards under contract for 2024. Both positions need to be rebuilt, but TEs are much more cost effective than WRs and then we'd only need 1 more starting WR to go with Chase. The TEs can help the run game, they can help the OTs, they can help in the middle of the field, they can help in the redzone, and they can help in making our offense less predictable.

Henry and Fant would be guys I think could be serviceable in our current offense, but they aren't guys I'm changing my offense around for.

Another big issue is Zac is not a 2 TE disciple.  You'll need to bring in an OC to run that offense and then hope you can get the personnel to run it adequately.   And that's if Burrow doesn't reject it.

It's a good FA crop for WR's and there's a lot of good WR talent in the draft, as well.  I feel a lot more confident that can reload with the current system than making such a shift.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 05:35 PM)Joelist Wrote: Well if we're REALLY talking Bold how about:

Tailor the schemes on both sides on the ball to the talents of the players. This means getting under center more (not mostly just more) and moving away from spread concepts and let the linemen block downhill. Defensively if the speedy youth can't execute the scheme install something they CAN execute.

Then...

Sign Chris Jones AND go DT in Round 1 - double down on DT to truly fix it. And get a power back who breaks tackles (someone like Estime perhaps). Tag and trade Tee I guess.

Great stuff as usual Joelist. If we could tailor our schemes on both sides to our player's strengths on both sides of the ball, more under Center
play for the QB on Offense to help out the OL and running game on Offense. More Man on Defense to help out our young Secondary this could
help the team in a bold way maybe more than anything.

Also really liked Estime every time I watched Notre Dame. Just what we need at RB. Very physical and hard to tackle.

(01-05-2024, 05:36 PM)Garrus Wrote: I second this suggestion 

Adding to the scouting department some great minds with eye's for talent would be huge for this team no doubt. Great suggestion by Sunset 
and I third it. We need to have scouts that look at coaching minds as well for the future if someone doesn't work out, I know we do it, but if 
there is one place where more minds are needed, it is in the scouting department and not in the playcalling department lol
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 04:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If we thought Tee was worth a 1st, why would we ever trade him to the Chiefs to help them? I was cheering for them to lose and potentially miss the playoffs last week.

- - - - -
Another thing that's admittedly a problem with a tag-and-trade with Tee (which is another reason I wanted to trade him before the draft last offseason besides from higher value) is that he has to be willing to sign his franchise tag before the draft otherwise we can't trade him for any 2024 draft picks, and trading him after the draft for a 2025 draft pick obviously doesn't help us win in 2024.

Don't get me wrong, I would never want to trade him to the Chiefs. Just an example of a perfect storm sort of deal where we might be able to get a 1st rounder for him by trading him to a playoff team that is a WR away from getting them over the hump. A pretty rare thing as most playoff teams aren't exactly hurting in the WR room.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 05:35 PM)Joelist Wrote: Well if we're REALLY talking Bold how about:

Then...

Tailoring the scheme to player strengths one thing.  Trying to cover up the inadequacy of bad players while moving away from the things your best players do well is something else.

Sign a 3 tech in Jones and then draft a 3 tech in Newton(the only DT with a 1st round grade)?  Ok.
Reply/Quote
If there is a big move we can make in the draft it is trading Tee for a top pick. I'd much rather draft a premier dline talent with that pick than a wideout.
An OT would be solid too.
With having Chase and Burrow, I would rather not waste high draft picks on skill players we won't be able to sign to a second contract.
There are a lot of good (and sometimes great) wide receivers and running backs in the mid rounds of most draft years.

If we are to make a big splash in free agency, I'm looking at the following top end players:

Chris Jones: dominant, would fill an immediate need with losing Reader, takes a great player from our rival. He'll turn 30 next year, but still would be a great pickup for the next few years to solidify our defense as a playoff caliber unit (assuming the secondary improves via development and FA/draft).

Madubuike: I was high on him in the draft process. I think I may have picked him in a mock draft for the Packers (or another team) on the board mock draft. He's a great, disruptive player and it would be nice to steal him from the Ravens. I don't see that happening though. I think he stays a Raven. If we were to grab him and then add another bigger DT to pair with him, that would solidify our dline.

Josh Allen: Can never have too many pass rushers. He's dominant. Put him opposite Tre on passing downs and we'd have an elite pass rush. Don't see this happening either as I don't think we can afford him and the Jags probably can as he's one of their top 3 players on the team (and the other two are on rookie deals).

Antoine Winfield (S): Great young safety to solidify the back end along with Dax and Battle. I like Dax and Battle though, and we'd have to overpay for Winfield so I don't see this as realistic.

Other FAs:
Edge Chase Young if he's healthy.
DT Leonard Williams.
DT Christian Wilkins.
Edge Danielle Hunter.
Not too sure about OT free agents this year. They're all pretty old other than Mike Onwenu from the Patriots, who I don't know much about.

Maybe the best strategy is to trade Tee for a top pick, draft an OT.
Sign a DT in FA because there seem to be a lot of them.
It would be nice to get a dominant DT in the draft on a rookie contract though.
Adding (1) dlineman would certainly improve our front. But adding two great dlineman would make it elite.

Top scenario for me is signing one of the DTs listed above, and trading Tee for a top pick and drafting a dominant DT or edge as well.
If our dline could go from good to elite this offseason, our defense could be great.

I think the oline could use a better LG and RT. But options here could be limited. And I see having an elite dline moving the needle more on wins/losses.
The biggest issue with the offense is balanced play calling. Our oline would be better with a more balanced approach.
Reply/Quote

Then...

I like the Double Down and fix it mindset.

I would love to see Chris Jones, Trey Hendrickson, a healthy Sam Hubbard and maybe your 1st round DT rotating in to go after Mahomes for example.

Some way to DOMINATE on the way to a Super Bowl win.
Reply/Quote
Sign Dalton Schultz in FA.

They could lose both Higgins and Boyd. Ja'marr will soon get paid. The luxury of 3 stud receivers is about to be a lot less likely.

Get a serious TE. It's cheaper than paying 2 number 1 caliber receivers, and it provides a receiving option that can still give the production of a 2nd WR.

This organization can draft receivers as well as anyone. Let Chase and Schultz cook, bring in a day 1 or 2 rookie, maintain the offense being a real strength.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 05:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The 4 prospects I have targeted for mid-1st wish list are:
- Brock Bowers, TE Georgia
- JC Latham, RT Alabama
- Rome Odunze, WR Washington
- Jer'Zhan Newton, DT Illinois

If they don’t tag Tee … Odunze would fix that hole almost. I see RT over Bowers. But any of those guys are possible as things sift out. I’ve just today looked at a few of those just today. Not sure making the playoffs was worth it. Lots of good options at around 16.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 04:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If we thought Tee was worth a 1st, why would we ever trade him to the Chiefs to help them? I was cheering for them to lose and potentially miss the playoffs last week.

- - - - -
Another thing that's admittedly a problem with a tag-and-trade with Tee (which is another reason I wanted to trade him before the draft last offseason besides from higher value) is that he has to be willing to sign his franchise tag before the draft otherwise we can't trade him for any 2024 draft picks, and trading him after the draft for a 2025 draft pick obviously doesn't help us win in 2024.

This
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 05:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The 4 prospects I have targeted for mid-1st wish list are:
- JC Latham, RT Alabama

If they don’t tag Tee … Odunze would fix that hole somewhat. I see RT over Bowers. But any of those guys are possible as things sift out. I’ve just today looked at a few of those just today. Not sure making the playoffs was worth it. Lots of good options at around 16.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 06:36 PM)samhain Wrote: Sign Dalton Schultz in FA.

They could lose both Higgins and Boyd.  Ja'marr will soon get paid.  The luxury of 3 stud receivers is about to be a lot less likely.  

Get a serious TE.  It's cheaper than paying 2 number 1 caliber receivers, and it provides a receiving option that can still give the production of a 2nd WR.  

This organization can draft receivers as well as anyone.  Let Chase and Schultz cook, bring in a day 1 or 2 rookie, maintain the offense being a real strength.

I like Dalton Schultz. He'd be a solid signing.
Reply/Quote
Resign Higgins, Jonah, and Reader to all longterm deals.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
BOLD move?

Trade UP for the RT you NEED in the draft. Don't wait. Don't leave it to chance. Don't get Ragnow'd.

**Assuming Williams is not retained and we don't go the FA band-aid route.**
Reply/Quote
- JC Latham, RT Alabama

If Brock Bowers could have similar production to what Sam LaPorta has had with the Lions, then Bowers could take the Bengals Offense up a notch.

LaPorta has 81 catches for 860 yards and 9 TDs.

The Bengals would have to commit to using Bowers. He runs routes very well, knows how to get open and could make things easier for Burrow.

Bowers could offer some down the hash marks, middle of the field receptions along with other routes making it harder for defenses to focus on 

Bengal wide receivers. I have been liking the idea of Bowers more and more as an option but he would need to be LaPorta like in production for

it to be worth it.  IMO
Reply/Quote