Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Ideas for a BOLD move that could set the Bengals up for Greater Success ?
(01-05-2024, 03:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's a bold idea.  Hire an expanded team of experienced scouts to not only identify player talent with the specific skill sets to implement what the Bengals want to accomplish on the field, but also to identify up and coming coaches who utilizing innovative methods to get tremendous growth and development from their players.

Thats just crazy talk.

And those of you suggesting a trade?? Holy God that is a massively bold suggestion.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 12:25 PM)Housh Wrote: Saquon Barkley is realistic

He should be our main target after offensive lineman

This is what I am seeing as a cost estimate for Saquon Barkley:  Two years, $22 million ($11 million per year), $15 million total guaranteed

If he could have a Christian McCaffrey type of impact then signing Barkley seems "realistic" as an option to me.

I think the Bengals need to make some type of CATALYST move that pushes them to a Super Bowl. 

Not sure yet what that move (or moves) could be but I think it has to go beyond just a hole filling mindset.
Reply/Quote
Trade for Justin Jefferson and sign him to long-term extension, letting Higgins and Boyd walk.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
[Image: Bengals-Head-Coach.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 03:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Trade for Justin Jefferson and sign him to long-term extension, letting Higgins and Boyd walk.

That is bold alright, but I am sure JJ, Joe and Ja'Marr would be down with it.

Also wouldn't mind bringing in Joe Brady either if Brian Callahan and Pitcher leave for higher prospects.

Getting our Offense as close to the LSU Offense couldn't be a bad thing. Still need to adapt it to the NFL though and Burrow just cannot 
be in Shotgun all the time. This is why I am hesitant, and I would rather build up the trenches instead while extending only Chase as our 
one top WR for as long as possible.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 03:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Trade for Justin Jefferson and sign him to long-term extension, letting Higgins and Boyd walk.

That would make for NFL Blockbuster News !  

Chase & Jefferson on the same Team.

I assume Tee would have to go to the Vikings as part of a deal ?  or not ?

Just what do you think this type of Deal would look like in terms of picks, etc ?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 03:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: Bengals-Head-Coach.jpg]

I bet we would start beating down the stealers if we brought in Billy B so right there I would be for it. He has the stealers number.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 03:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: Bengals-Head-Coach.jpg]

I would love to have Bill in Cincy as like Senior Defensive Advisor or something but he wants the record before he moves to a job like that. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 03:44 PM)Synric Wrote: I would love to have Bill in Cincy as like Senior Defensive Advisor or something but he wants the record before he moves to a job like that. 

And he can get the record here as HC, along with his 9th, 10th, and 11th SB rings.   Who Dey

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The original post asked for a bold move, and I am about to relate to you the boldest of them all - moves - in fact.

My idea is the Dancing Man in Motion. Now we all know that it cannot be Dancing Men in Motion. That would get flagged. This is a solo act, in motion, behind and parallel to the line of scrimmage.

Now I know what you are thinking: Moonwalk, Running Man, the Griddy? Those are all fine suggestions and prove that you are getting the concept, but the set purpose of the Dancing Man is three-fold.

Firstly, it is to get attention. This must be eye catching performance each time. Even the quarteback must be drawn to the spectacle. While it may be too much to ask for a world premier on all occasions, a little creativity goes a long ways. Not only is the defense watching, but this play must be the most watched highlight of the entire week.

Now that you've got their attention, the quarterback begins his cadence, "Hup, hup, get down with the get down, hup" [SNAP]

Lastly, the purpose of the Dancing Man is to score a touchdown. Sadly, the Dancing Man will not score a touchdown for three straight weeks.

The runningback runs away from the Dancing Man, fast as he can. The quarterback throws away from the Dancing Man, quick as a wink. The quarterback sails a pass, well beyond the Dancing Man's reach to the streaking receiver far ahead of him.

Finally, in week four of dancing season, just when the audience becoming bored with the Dancing Man, just as the Dancing Man might be desondent, he turns his dancing up field, catches a pass in perfect rhythm, and dances straight into the endzone!

Now, I know the guys like to dance, but this will take planning. They might want to hire choreographers. They might want to draft based on dance abilities. Since it's my idea, I think I should get first dibs as Bengals Dance Coordinator. That is, if Mr. Brown's not too cheap to afford me, but I think we all know his history.
Reply/Quote
Bold moves:

70M cap space. Tag and trade Tee
Cut: Mixon, Hubbard, new cap space about $80M

- RB Henry 2 year deal, $10M cap hit
-DTustin Madabukie, 3 year, $20m/year cap hit/year
-DE Josh Allen, 3 year $20m cap hit/year
-T Tyron Smith 1 year, $10M cap hit
-WR Marquez Brown, 2 year $9M cap hit/year

Rest for roster fillers, rookies, injured reserves.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 07:10 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Bold moves:

Think the Jags & Ravens just let those guys escape? I doubt it. Worh a try, though. 

1. Re-sign Tee & DJ. 
2. Try for a $20 mil-ish impact guy at DT
------DT (Jones, Madubuike, Wilkins) 

I doubt we spend big at DE, S, or CB. That was the whole point of the Murphy, Dax Hill, & Turner picks. If we land the DT, BJ Hill could get moved to free up some space. More likely outcome is we spend the rest of our FA$$ on our own (Chido, Boyd) or a medium TE/S. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 07:10 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Bold moves:

I like these ideas a ton. This would be bold and would make our team so much better in all aspects.

(01-11-2024, 07:52 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Think the Jags & Ravens just let those guys escape? I doubt it. Worh a try, though. 

1. Re-sign Tee & DJ. 
2. Try for a $20 mil-ish impact guy at DT
------DT (Jones, Madubuike, Wilkins) 

I doubt we spend big at DE, S, or CB. That was the whole point of the Murphy, Dax Hill, & Turner picks. If we land the DT, BJ Hill could get moved to free up some space. More likely outcome is we spend the rest of our FA$$ on our own (Chido, Boyd) or a medium TE/S. 

Hey, the OP asked for bold ideas. Ell Prez gave some. The Ravens don't have a ton of money and they will most likely not be able to bring 
back both Madubuike and Pierce. They might be able to only afford Pierce. I think tagging and trading Tee for Josh Allen is more likely though.

We desperately need another pass rusher besides Trey, I know Hubbard was hurt and Murphy was a raw rookie but we only have Trey for this 
next year unless we extend him again which I would like to do. He doesn't look like he is slowing down any anytime soon.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 08:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like these ideas a ton. This would be bold and would make our team so much better in all aspects.

Hey, the OP asked for bold ideas. Ell Prez gave some. The Ravens don't have a ton of money and they will most likely not be able to bring 
back both Madubuike and Pierce. They might be able to only afford Pierce. I think tagging and trading Tee for Josh Allen is more likely though.

We desperately need another pass rusher besides Trey, I know Hubbard was hurt and Murphy was a raw rookie but we only have Trey for this 
next year unless we extend him again which I would like to do. He doesn't look like he is slowing down any anytime soon.

Hendrickson is here 2 more years.  When they extended him before the season he still had 2023 and 2024 on his contract.  They added an additional year 2025 with the extension.  He will be here the next 2 seasons.

Pierce was extended for another two years and it wont be that big a cap hit, 4.2 million in 2024 and 2.8 million in 2025 so he is taken care of.   While I would love to have Madubuike, the Ravens are not going to let a young upcoming DT like that get away.  They will find a way to keep him.

The problem with tagging Tee is that Tee would need to sign the franchise tag 1st.  You cant trade him until he is actually under contract.  He could wait until the beginning of the 2024 before he signs so a trade at that point is not as likely.  The Bengals really messed up bad by not trading Tee last spring when there was a bunch of interest and they could have got some nice draft picks.  Duke and the rest of the front office screwed that one up.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2024, 02:01 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Hendrickson is here 2 more years.  When they extended him before the season he still had 2023 and 2024 on his contract.  They added an additional year 2025 with the extension.  He will be here the next 2 seasons.

Pierce was extended for another two years and it wont be that big a cap hit, 4.2 million in 2024 and 2.8 million in 2025 so he is taken care of.   While I would love to have Madubuike, the Ravens are not going to let a young upcoming DT like that get away.  They will find a way to keep him.

The problem with tagging Tee is that Tee would need to sign the franchise tag 1st.  You cant trade him until he is actually under contract.  He could wait until the beginning of the 2024 before he signs so a trade at that point is not as likely.  The Bengals really messed up bad by not trading Tee last spring when there was a bunch of interest and they could have got some nice draft picks.  Duke and the rest of the front office screwed that one up.

This not a problem Tee Higgins will sign the tag. He had a down year with injures which means he needs to play to earn that 20+ mil multi-year contract. Second reason and much simpler thr Franchise tag is a full guaranteed 20.7m for 2024 which will be over double what he made on his entire 4 year rookie comtract. 

We hear about holdouts every year but the majority of them just holdout because they don't wanna do off-season mandatory workouts.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Hey, axking for bold ideas, and getting them is fine. It is a message board, after all, and the iff-season at that. 

But that means we should also be able to at least vomment on viability & likelihood, yes? It IS a message board, after all. 

Anyway, my bold idea is sugn as many difference makers as possible with our cap space & stop paying big money more guys who are only slightly above average players, if that (Jonah, Boyd, Chido). 

Step 1: We have 2 of our own guys in that category: Reader and Higgins. Bring them back. Tag Tee at the least ($21 mil cap) but be willing to commit for longer to reduce the yearly cap hit. Ditto Reader coming off injury. I don't see how letting outlr best run defender leave helps the run D, and there are no NTs in FA who are in his class. Commit to both guys on longer deals with more guaranteed $$. Try to free up as much cap this year as you can. 

I am hoping we can get both guys signed for around $30-$35 mil. That would leave us $20-$25 mil in functional cap space. 

2. Go get Derrick Henry. 

RBs are undervalued. Henry was still outstanding last year running against stacked boxes in Tenn. 90.4 PFF grade. 1,167 yards. 12 TDs. He won't get that here. His presence totally changes the way defenses will play us. 

The bonus is, due to RBs being undervalued, he won't be nearly as expensive as a difference maker at DT, DE, OT, CB, or even S. Double bonus? We are already paying a RB we can cut to save $6.1 mil. If Henry costs $10 mil (unlikely), we are actually only paying $3.9 to get him. Hell, if he comes in at under $6.1 (possible), we get him for free. Triple bonus, we likely prevent another contender from landing him. Quadruple bonus: we still have a lot of functional cap space ($20 mil?) to spend to plug other holes. Quintuple bonus: he is actually available and won't get tagged. 

Assume for a moment we re-sign Tee for APY under $20 and Reader for under $10, cut Mixon, andsign Henry for under $10, we STILL have $20-$25 mil to play with, even after signing our min FA types: Browning, T. Williams, Irwin, D. Sample, Ford, Scharping, Tupou, Bailey, Bachie, and Adomitis. Probably Hudson & ADG. 

We can still make a big swing for a DT (Wilkins, Madubuike). If that succeeds, we cut cut Hill (save $7.5 mil) to free up more space, but I think it unlikely Miami or Balt let them get to FA. 

Alternatively, we can take a big swing at safety (Winfield), or CB (Sneed) but I doubt Tampa/KC let them hit the market. 

I think the more realistic path is to try at fill 2-3 holes at around 8-10 mil per. My targets would include: Boyd, Chido, Dalton Schultz (TE), some of the 2nd tier Ss behind Winfield (deep FA class), or a vet OT. 

My 2 OT targets would be: 
1. Trenton Brown, NE, 31, 80.3 PFF ($12.2)
2. Tyron Smith, Dallas 33, 83.8 PFF (8 mil)

Now, both guys are older and past their Pro-Bowl primes, and missed time last year with injuries. But we would not be throwing a rookie in to protect Joe and the draft would open up considerably as we are not locked in to taking OT in Rd1. And we'd likey have $$ left over to still go after Schultz, Chido, Boyd, or a mid tier S. 

That would be my plan: 

1) Commit to Tee & Reader 
2) Sign Henry & cut Mixon 
3) Sign vet FA OT (Brown, Smith)
4) Spend rest on 1-2 of Boyd, Chido, Schultz, vet S. 
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2024, 02:01 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Hendrickson is here 2 more years.  When they extended him before the season he still had 2023 and 2024 on his contract.  They added an additional year 2025 with the extension.  He will be here the next 2 seasons.

Didn't know that with Trey, thanks, makes me feel better. Wink

I heard that Pierce was also going to be a FA so that is new to me as well. Damn, I think they will keep both now, that part sucks.

As Synric here says, Tee will sign the Tag. It is big money, and he would get a year here at the very worst making top money to prove he is a 
top WR with Burrow to go somewhere else and make major dough.

(01-12-2024, 03:04 AM)Synric Wrote: This not a problem Tee Higgins will sign the tag. He had a down year with injures which means he needs to play to earn that 20+ mil multi-year contract. Second reason and much simpler thr Franchise tag is a full guaranteed 20.7m for 2024 which will be over double what he made on his entire 4 year rookie comtract. 

We hear about holdouts every year but the majority of them just holdout because they don't wanna do off-season mandatory workouts.

Yes sir. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2024, 02:07 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Hey, axking for bold ideas, and getting them is fine. It is a message board, after all, and the iff-season at that. 

But that means we should also be able to at least vomment on viability & likelihood, yes? It IS a message board, after all. 

Anyway, my bold idea is sugn as many difference makers as possible with our cap space & stop paying big money more guys who are only slightly above average players, if that (Jonah, Boyd, Chido). 

Step 1: We have 2 of our own guys in that category: Reader and Higgins. Bring them back. Tag Tee at the least ($21 mil cap) but be willing to commit for longer to reduce the yearly cap hit. Ditto Reader coming off injury. I don't see how letting outlr best run defender leave helps the run D, and there are no NTs in FA who are in his class. Commit to both guys on longer deals with more guaranteed $$. Try to free up as much cap this year as you can. 

I am hoping we can get both guys signed for around $30-$35 mil. That would leave us $20-$25 mil in functional cap space. 

2. Go get Derrick Henry. 

RBs are undervalued. Henry was still outstanding last year running against stacked boxes in Tenn. 90.4 PFF grade. 1,167 yards. 12 TDs. He won't get that here. His presence totally changes the way defenses will play us. 

The bonus is, due to RBs being undervalued, he won't be nearly as expensive as a difference maker at DT, DE, OT, CB, or even S. Double bonus? We are already paying a RB we can cut to save $6.1 mil. If Henry costs $10 mil (unlikely), we are actually only paying $3.9 to get him. Hell, if he comes in at under $6.1 (possible), we get him for free. Triple bonus, we likely prevent another contender from landing him. Quadruple bonus: we still have a lot of functional cap space ($20 mil?) to spend to plug other holes. Quintuple bonus: he is actually available and won't get tagged. 

Assume for a moment we re-sign Tee for APY under $20 and Reader for under $10, cut Mixon, andsign Henry for under $10, we STILL have $20-$25 mil to play with, even after signing our min FA types: Browning, T. Williams, Irwin, D. Sample, Ford, Scharping, Tupou, Bailey, Bachie, and Adomitis. Probably Hudson & ADG. 

We can still make a big swing for a DT (Wilkins, Madubuike). If that succeeds, we cut cut Hill (save $7.5 mil) to free up more space, but I think it unlikely Miami or Balt let them get to FA. 

Alternatively, we can take a big swing at safety (Winfield), or CB (Sneed) but I doubt Tampa/KC let them hit the market. 

I think the more realistic path is to try at fill 2-3 holes at around 8-10 mil per. My targets would include: Boyd, Chido, Dalton Schultz (TE), some of the 2nd tier Ss behind Winfield (deep FA class), or a vet OT. 

My 2 OT targets would be: 
1. Trenton Brown, NE, 31, 80.3 PFF ($12.2)
2. Tyron Smith, Dallas 33, 83.8 PFF (8 mil)

Now, both guys are older and past their Pro-Bowl primes, and missed time last year with injuries. But we would not be throwing a rookie in to protect Joe and the draft would open up considerably as we are not locked in to taking OT in Rd1. And we'd likey have $$ left over to still go after Schultz, Chido, Boyd, or a mid tier S. 

That would be my plan: 

1) Commit to Tee & Reader 
2) Sign Henry & cut Mixon 
3) Sign vet FA OT (Brown, Smith)
4) Spend rest on 1-2 of Boyd, Chido, Schultz, vet S. 

That's fairly Bold while still being as realistic as possible.

Do you see the Bengals going more Over -or- Under the Boldness level that you just proposed in 2024 ?
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2024, 02:47 PM)depthchart Wrote: That's fairly Bold while still being as realistic as possible.

Do you see the Bengals going more Over -or- Under the Boldness level that you just proposed in 2024 ?

Under, for sure. 

I mean, other than Henry, actually landing the DT targets, or Winfield, is a pretty long shot. Even at OT, Smith may be a Cowboy for life. If the Pats go QB in the draft, which they should, I doubt they let their best OL walk. Beyond those two, I do not love the FA OT class. 

The Dolphins are in salary cap hell, so maybe Wilkins gets away. If he does he won't be cheap. Though we could mitigate by releasing BJ Hill.  

Schultz likely won't be a bargain and we do not spend on TEs. And I doubt we spend big on S, CB, or DE having just picked Dax, Turner, and Murphy. 

Most likely, I think we keep Mixon and watch helplessly as KC/BALT/CLE/MIAMI/PITT sign Henry. Honestly, I think Joe was fine last year, but Henry is a different level. I mean, we feast on the light box with Henry, methinks. 

Anyway, I think we mostly strike out on big fish and circle back to re-signing our own guys save for Jonah, taking an OT in Rd1, and going from there (likely DT/NT in Rd 2&3). 

I'd could be VERY happy with: 
1. Sign Tee & Reader 
2. Sign Henry/cut Mixon 
3. Whatever combo pack we can do with the rest as long as Browning & Hudson are back: vet OT (Brown/Smith), Schultz, big ticket DT/S/CB (Wilkins, Winfield, Sneed, unlikely), Chido, Boyd, depth CB/S. 

Picking #18, we most assuredly could get, if we want: 

1) A good RT/OT prospect: Latham, Mims, Fuaga, Guyton (all RTs) or Morgan, Suamataia, or Paul even if we move back. I think one of those RTs, likely 2 or more, is there, plus the 2ndctier LTs. 

2) Some of the top tier CB prospects: Wiggins is probably gone, but one of McKinstry, DeJean, Armold, Lassiter, or Mitchell is likely there.

3) The top NT guy (Sweat) or a very good DT prospect (Murphy). Either could be had in Rd2, but might not last to our pick. I like McKinley Jackson (NT) in Rd3, but not sure is he a Reader replacement right away. 

4) A very good WR2-3: Coleman is unlikely, but Thomas, Legette, Franklin, Mitchell, & McConkey are all there, many much later or Rd 2-3 with Polk, Corley, either Wilson, or McMillan.

I'd love Newton (DT) or Bowers (TE), but winning that last came cost us 4 spots & I do not see either guy lasting to #18. 
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2024, 02:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: ...As Synric here says, Tee will sign the Tag. It is big money, and he would get a year here at the very worst making top money to prove he is a 
top WR with Burrow to go somewhere else and make major dough.

I have no doubt Tee will sign the tag.  The problem is Tee can wait until the end of August/beginning of September right before the 2024 football season starts before he signs the tag.  Jessie Bates did this when tagged.  

At that point what do you do, wait until 2025 for the draft picks?  If you are trying to trade for a player instead of picks, is the other team going to trade someone that just went through camp and preseason?  The Bengals are not in a good spot for a trade on this one.  They should have made the trade last spring when Tee was under contract and could have brought the Bengals a 1st and 3rd round pick.   Management completely blew that opportunity.  Now their options are limited.  For all the good the Bengals management has done the last few years, they still make some boneheaded, shortsighted decisions.  Not trading Tee when he was going to be a free agent after this past season is one of them.
Reply/Quote