Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Ohioans ever hear the term "carry-in"?
Slate came up with a slang word that represents each state.  Ohio is carry-in meaning a pot luck dinner.  I have never once heard that word.  KY is chughole meaning a pothole.  Indiana is Hoosier.  

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/culturebox/2015/09/united_slang_of_america_map_if_every_state_had_an_official_word_what_would.html
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 09:32 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Slate came up with a slang word that represents each state.  Ohio is carry-in meaning a pot luck dinner.  I have never once heard that word.  KY is chughole meaning a pothole.  Indiana is Hoosier.  

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/culturebox/2015/09/united_slang_of_america_map_if_every_state_had_an_official_word_what_would.html

after 32 years in ohio thats the first time ive heard that.... wonder where he pulled that out of.
Reply/Quote
I've lived in Ohio for almost all of my life, and I've never heard that term. I don't go to many pot-luck dinners though...
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Same here, 42 years old and never once heard the term. Have always heard potluck used.
Reply/Quote
i would think it ment carry-in your own snacks to the movie or something....

Maybe thats a little too jeff foxworthy.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 11:23 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: i would think it ment carry-in your own snacks to the movie or something....

Maybe thats a little too jeff foxworthy.

I would think it referred to restaurants that don't sell alcohol but allow you to bring in your own wine.
Reply/Quote
27. Never heard it.
Reply/Quote
Shouldn't it be "warsh"?
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 12:51 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Shouldn't it be "warsh"?

Or... 'Please'
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 12:51 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Shouldn't it be "warsh"?

Yes. It should.

Maybe 'carry in' is a NE Ohio thing.  It's a whole different state up there. 
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Someone in the comments suggested pony keg for an Ohio or at least Cincinnati word. Is that not used anywhere else?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 03:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Someone in the comments suggested pony keg for an Ohio or at least Cincinnati word. Is that not used anywhere else?

what else you gonna call a small keg...?
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 03:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Someone in the comments suggested pony keg for an Ohio or at least Cincinnati word.  Is that not used anywhere else?

It's used in other places.  It is used in a Johnny Cash song.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 04:59 PM)jason Wrote: It's used in other places.  It is used in a Johnny Cash song.

Pony keg here......in fact, a now defunct liquor store here in town used to be called The Pony Keg.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Kentucky's word should be Yall
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 09:32 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Slate came up with a slang word that represents each state.  Ohio is carry-in meaning a pot luck dinner.  I have never once heard that word.  KY is chughole meaning a pothole.  Indiana is Hoosier.  

Indiana is the "hoosier" state but what that means is subject of debate. Known a jillion people from all over Ohio and never heard one say "carry in." I have head potholes and holes in a field or a yard referred to as "chuck holes" but not "chugholes." The guy who wrote that sounds like a real chughole to me.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Yes, I've heard it a million times at work over the decades. Anytime there's a special occasion (someone retiring, returning from leave, etc.) they send out an email to have a - I swear this is true - carry-in. Can't believe no one else has heard of it. Everybody brings on something. Usually I buy donutes so nothing has to be cooked.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 11:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I would think it referred to restaurants that don't sell alcohol but allow you to bring in your own wine.

That would make sense in Kentucky where the majority of it was dry until the last decade or so. 

Dunno what the **** a chughole is.

I'm guessing some guy who hasn't been out of parent's basement since college wrote this piece?
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 08:35 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yes, I've heard it a million times at work over the decades.  Anytime there's a special occasion (someone retiring, returning from leave, etc.) they send out an email to have a - I swear this is true - carry-in.  Can't believe no one else has heard of it.  Everybody brings on something.  Usually I buy donutes so nothing has to be cooked.

Maybe you have to be a hundred.

Reply/Quote
Never heard of a carry-in before lol.

lived in Ohio my whole life
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote