Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any good 2nd round Wrs this year?
I liked Van Jefferson’s route running better than any wideout coming out last year. He was a 3rd stringer this year for the Rams—but with Kupp injured he looked like a vet today the way he runs routes and gets open. Tee Higgens was a 2nd rounder as well. Chase Claypool. In other years Antonio Brown ended up being the best wideout in his draft. Chad Johnson, etc.

Seems like the 2020 2nd round wide receivers have been as good as the 1st round selections. Granted, that doesn’t mean the same will be the case this year. The top couple wide receivers look better than the top couple last year. But historically, there are a lot of great 2nd round picks at wideout.

If we could trade down to around pick 10 and pick the best edge player, olineman, or defensive player—and pick up a 2nd round pick... we could make out pretty damn good. Might not look like a great move if we pass on Chase, but maybe he’s gone along with Smith. Someone will want to trade up for a QB. If we end up with a pick around 10 and two 2nd rounders that would be pretty good. Potentially grab a promising lineman or edge player with our 1st pick, and be set up with great draft position in the 2nd round. It’s harder to get edge rushers with elite potential in the mid rounds—which is our biggest need on defense IMO.

That said, it’s hard to pass on Chase. But we could very well see Chase, Smith, and Sewell gone before pick 5. If the Jets go with Sewell over Smith, we’ll likely get Chase falling to us though. I would think Saleh would prefer to draft lineman vs skill players based on his background as well (seems like a build through the trenches type based on the 9ers strategy).

I would also like to add that if Chase is there, why not just pick him? If he isn’t though, fans should still be happy—especially if we work a trade down and pick up an extra 2nd.

So I guess I’m proposing a few questions:

Which strategy would improve our team the most—trading down a few spots and then having two 2nd rounders, or picking Chase if he’s there?

Are there any promising 2nd round receivers?

Do we need to invest a high pick at receiver, already having 2 good receivers? Would it be a luxury pick? I agree with BPA strategy, but could we realistically resign Chase, Boyd, and Higgens?

I believe our biggest weaknesses are the trenches on both sides of the ball. I’d be perfectly happy focusing mainly on these areas, provided it’s the right player and a definite BPA pick. Trading down would ensure we are in good draft position to pick BPA at a position of need with our 1st pick, and would give us great draft position in the 2nd round.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Toney UofF
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Terrace Marshall

Reply/Quote
If Chris olave falls to 2nd I would spring to podium. Rondale moore, Bateman. One of those 3 should be around
Reply/Quote
Every year it seems that there are about 100 players "projected" to go in the 1st round, but as always, 68 of them are always still available at the start of the 2nd round. I'm sure that a few of them will be WRs. Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Devonta Smith will likely fall to the 2nd once they measure his ankles at the combine.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 10:44 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Every year it seems that there are about 100 players "projected" to go in the 1st round, but as always, 68 of them are always still available at the start of the 2nd round. I'm sure that a few of them will be WRs. Ninja

Not what I was getting at at all. There are usually one or two lights out prospects (last year Burrow and Chase), then a handful of great prospects, then like 10 or so good prospects, then a bunch of late 1st to early 2nd prospects.

My point was there are plenty of wide receivers that slip through the cracks every year for whatever reason. I stated in my OP that this year I think the top couple wrs are better than the top couple last year. But the point stand that wideouts can be found later in the draft.

I do think we are in an interesting spot because Chase likely falls to us, and how can we pass him up? WR is not a need, and more of a luxury pick. We need offensive and defensive line. So do we trade back or take the best player despite not likely being able to resign him if he’s a superstar. If we have all our big money tied up in wideouts, what happens to our offensive line on offense? I won’t argue with simply taking the best player, but I’m also tired of the shiny toy philosophy that gets out QB killed bc we aren’t investing in the oline.

Sorry for attempting to get people to think a little bit at times. But maybe the majority is right and you just pick Chase and enjoy the benefits of having 3 top wideouts for a few years—even though it’s unlikely you can resign them all. It’ll be interesting to see what they do; they likely grab Chase if there, or go with an edge player or trade down.
Reply/Quote
I like Randall Moore.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 01:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Devonta Smith will likely fall to the 2nd once they measure his ankles at the combine.

You be damn right.  But maybe out of top 10.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 09:41 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I liked Van Jefferson’s route running better than any wideout coming out last year. He was a 3rd stringer this year for the Rams—but with Kupp injured he looked like a vet today the way he runs routes and gets open. Tee Higgens was a 2nd rounder as well. Chase Claypool. In other years Antonio Brown ended up being the best wideout in his draft. Chad Johnson, etc.

Seems like the 2020 2nd round wide receivers have been as good as the 1st round selections. Granted, that doesn’t mean the same will be the case this year. The top couple wide receivers look better than the top couple last year. But historically, there are a lot of great 2nd round picks at wideout.

If we could trade down to around pick 10 and pick the best edge player, olineman, or defensive player—and pick up a 2nd round pick... we could make out pretty damn good. Might not look like a great move if we pass on Chase, but maybe he’s gone along with Smith. Someone will want to trade up for a QB. If we end up with a pick around 10 and two 2nd rounders that would be pretty good. Potentially grab a promising lineman or edge player with our 1st pick, and be set up with great draft position in the 2nd round. It’s harder to get edge rushers with elite potential in the mid rounds—which is our biggest need on defense IMO.

That said, it’s hard to pass on Chase. But we could very well see Chase, Smith, and Sewell gone before pick 5. If the Jets go with Sewell over Smith, we’ll likely get Chase falling to us though. I would think Saleh would prefer to draft lineman vs skill players based on his background as well (seems like a build through the trenches type based on the 9ers strategy).

I would also like to add that if Chase is there, why not just pick him? If he isn’t though, fans should still be happy—especially if we work a trade down and pick up an extra 2nd.

So I guess I’m proposing a few questions:

Which strategy would improve our team the most—trading down a few spots and then having two 2nd rounders, or picking Chase if he’s there?

Are there any promising 2nd round receivers?

Do we need to invest a high pick at receiver, already having 2 good receivers? Would it be a luxury pick? I agree with BPA strategy, but could we realistically resign Chase, Boyd, and Higgens?

I believe our biggest weaknesses are the trenches on both sides of the ball. I’d be perfectly happy focusing mainly on these areas, provided it’s the right player and a definite BPA pick. Trading down would ensure we are in good draft position to pick BPA at a position of need with our 1st pick, and would give us great draft position in the 2nd round.

For this post, there are so many options at WR every NFL draft. As for A. Brown to clarify, he was a 6th round pick not a second round pick and yes best in his class.
https://www.google.com/search?q=devante+adams+drfted&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&oq=devante+adams+drfted&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i13i457.14807j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Devante Adams round 2 and pick #53 is pretty darn good too
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 03:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: For this post, there are so many options at WR every NFL draft. As for A. Brown to clarify, he was a 6th round pick not a second round pick and yes best in his class.
https://www.google.com/search?q=devante+adams+drfted&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&oq=devante+adams+drfted&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i13i457.14807j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Devante Adams round 2 and pick #53 is pretty darn good too

I’d venture to say Adams is the best receiver in the nfl this year. His route running is second to none.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 03:30 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I’d venture to say Adams is the best receiver in the nfl this year. His route running is second to none.

I agree with you, but helps to have a great OL and a HOF QB tossing you the ball too.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The other North Carolina WR Dyami Brown should go in the 3rd round. Brown is a tall 6' to 6'1 195 to 200lbs. He is a vertical receiver with two 1k 20 YPC seasons on his resume. He needs to add more releases and expand his route tree but would be a solid fit for what the Bengals need even as a rookie.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Tylan Wallace Of OSU Cowboys and Kadarius Toney
Of Florida. 2 speed merchants
Reply/Quote
This year may be even more interesting without a combine to have guys shoot up boards based on 40's and such. Round 2 looks to be the sweet spot this year, similar to last year, in terms of value.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 03:05 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I like Randall Moore.

I see him as a slot WR only, and at 5'9", the "scheming" to get the ball in his hands won't happen at the NFL level.  At least not here, as they never really found a way to get the ball in Ross's hands with high % screens, jet sweeps, etc.  

Moore is a hell of an athlete, but I don't see him as a talent that warrants a day 1 (or even day 2) selection.  That's just me, though, and I appear to be the minority.  
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 03:32 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree with you, but helps to have a great OL and a HOF QB tossing you the ball too.

Didn't seem to help the Saints and Bucs WRs last night.  Evans and Thomas looked inept.  
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 05:43 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Tylan Wallace Of OSU Cowboys and Kadarius Toney
Of Florida. 2 speed merchants

I will add Anthony Schwartz from Auburn.  I think he is a better hands catcher than Toney from FL and has speed to burn as well.  If he didn't play for that pathetic HS offense under Malzaan, he would probably be targeted Day 2.  For some reason, there is a lot more hype around Toney, but watching them both a LOT, I like Schwartz better.

Even if the Bengals end up with Chase out of Rd 1, I still want a speedster like Schwartz in Rd 4.  Depth of talent at WR.  Need more than one speed merchant and Schwartz would be a rotational nightmare.  I love the idea of having a WR corps that looks like this:

Chase
Higgings
Boyd
Schwartz
Tate
Erickson

Plus, I can yell "May the Schwartz be with you" whenever he catches a pass.  Stupid, I know.  
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 01:02 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I will add Anthony Schwartz from Auburn.  I think he is a better hands catcher than Toney from FL and has speed to burn as well.  If he didn't play for that pathetic HS offense under Malzaan, he would probably be targeted Day 2.  For some reason, there is a lot more hype around Toney, but watching them both a LOT, I like Schwartz better.

Even if the Bengals end up with Chase out of Rd 1, I still want a speedster like Schwartz in Rd 4.  Depth of talent at WR.  Need more than one speed merchant and Schwartz would be a rotational nightmare.  I love the idea of having a WR corps that looks like this:

Chase
Higgings
Boyd
Schwartz
Tate
Erickson

Plus, I can yell "May the Schwartz be with you" whenever he catches a pass.  Stupid, I know.  

My worry with going WR twice within the first 4 rounds is what positions are they sacrificing? They also need 2-3 OL, 2-3 DL, and possibly CB based on how FA goes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 02:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My worry with going WR twice within the first 4 rounds is what positions are they sacrificing? They also need 2-3 OL, 2-3 DL, and possibly CB based on how FA goes.

Yep, a lot will be determined by FA, but I could see them adding 1 FA on the offensive line, and signing Lawson, WJIII, and Alexander would send them to the draft with absolute needs at WR, DT, and the offensive line position that wasn't addressed in FA.  They can (and should surely) double down on FA.  
Reply/Quote