We're Screwed
Not As Bad As I Think
Ray's That Good
Growing Pains
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody Else Worried About Ogbuehi?
(09-27-2016, 10:11 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It's the scheme.  None of the offensive linemen are being coached to use their size and leverage properly.  It's not just Cedric Ogbuehi.  Cincinnati's linemen are as talented as any in the NFL but the "stand up and play pattycake" with the defensive line technique will get Andy Dalton hit and running backs get stuffed behind the line of scrimmage.  I promise if Paul Alexander and Dante Scarnecchia switched places, Andy Dalton wold be the league MVP, Jeremy Hill would have consistent 100 yard games, and Tom Brady would get flattened like a pancake.

What?  How can this be?  75% of all Bengal fans think PA is Canton bound..... Confused

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 10:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No worries.

Ogbuehi will be fine.  He just missed most of training camp and needs to catch up.

Plus we have an excellent O-line coach.  Over the last few years our O-line has consistently been ranked as one of the best in the league.  Alexander will get it straightened out.

Good to see that 75% of fans agree with me.  The people who have an obsessive hatred for Alexander make a lot of noise, but the majority sees the truth.

Meh. I clicked on "growing pains" for Ogbuehi because I think the kid can only go up from here. That doesn't mean I approve of Paul Alexander. I'm sure many of the folks who clicked that option feel the same way.

In 2006, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2015 and 2016, the o-line has struggled with pass protection, even with a QB who is consistently among the best at getting rid of the football quickly.

Since 2006, we've ranked 20th or worse in YPC in every year but one (2014).

There are 2 ways to judge a line. Pass protection and effiency with the run. PA's groups have been mediocre at best in one category, and pretty abysmal in the other.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I think our oline will get better throughout the season. It will of course take time with growing pains
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2016, 01:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Meh. I clicked on "growing pains" for Ogbuehi because I think the kid can only go up from here. That doesn't mean I approve of Paul Alexander. I'm sure many of the folks who clicked that option feel the same way.

You can count me as one of those who voted the same, and feel the same as you.  Paul Alexander may have been a good OL coach, developer of talent, and even innovative with his blocking schemes at one point in time, but that time is not now, nor has it been that time in a few years.  It's like basic, fundamental skills like "firing off the ball" on running plays has been lost, the concept of blocking "from the inside, moving outward" on passing plays is also a lost idea with him. 

My point is, the OL should be the most physically aggressive unit on the team, not a set of uniquely skilled "finesse athletes".  The fundementals of football are blocking and tackling, and right now, and for quite a while, our OL Coach is not getting his guys to fundamentally block.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
What about Johnson at center? I have a good source that says he is good.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2016, 05:48 PM)SYLVIA Wrote: What about Johnson at center? I have a good source that says he is good.

Really?  He didn't look that good in preseason..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2016, 06:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Really?  He didn't look that good in preseason..

But he can't be worse than Bodine.

Maybe being inserted into the starting lineup would motivate him and he'd produce, or at least it would light a fire under Bodine's ass if Johnson was getting some practice with the starters.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 12:00 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You guys are giving Andy a bit too much credit here: since game 1, he's turned all panicky again, at times.

Andy Dalton looks like a poor man's Ryan Tannehill this season. At least  RT knows haw to avoid a sack AND make a possitive play.

Every pressure on Andy seems to end up as a sack or thrown away pass.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 04:29 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'm not too worried about Ogbuehi this week. I'm more worried about Russell Bodine going up against Ndamukong Suh.
Bodine is likely having nightmares just thinking about the matchup. Probably Dalton is too. Sick
Reply/Quote