Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else using the Windows 10?
Clicked a link for free upgrade to Windows 10, a few weeks ago. It installed last night. Still getting used to it, but I think I like it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I can't figure out how to upgrade.
Reply/Quote
Just started using it today. I don't know what to think yet. For some reason my trackpad is inverted (up is down, down is up) and there is no way for me to change it. I suppose I need to wait for a driver update. Also, I use Alt-Tab a lot and I can't use to get back to the desktop anymore.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 11:55 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Just started using it today.  I don't know what to think yet.  For some reason my trackpad is inverted (up is down, down is up) and there is no way for me to change it.  I suppose I need to wait for a driver update.  Also, I use Alt-Tab a lot and I can't use to get back to the desktop anymore.

Well you sold me.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 11:55 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Just started using it today.  I don't know what to think yet.  For some reason my trackpad is inverted (up is down, down is up) and there is no way for me to change it.  I suppose I need to wait for a driver update.  Also, I use Alt-Tab a lot and I can't use to get back to the desktop anymore.

Go to settings, if your answer isn't apparent, then select "learn more".  A gaggle of links explaining how to modify will appear.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm interested in trying it out, but not right away. I have to make sure that the programs I use with my business 'get along' with it first. I do that in two stages: The Guinea Pig stage, where I talk with the others who use the same programs and find out what happens to the first, and the Back-up PC stage, where I load it on my back up and see how it does there.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 11:27 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I can't figure out how to upgrade.

You need to have all the updates installed as one has has the Windows 10 app thingy that will appear in the lower right of the taskbar. Then you will reserve a download spot basically which hopeully will happen soon.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Upgraded from 8.1 tonight and so far so good. All my stuff is working normal, even my VPN to work was ready to go which I tested first. 

Personally I already like it and it will for sure replace 7. Its early of course, but it seems to be to 7 what 7 was to xp. The way they integrated apps with the pc was done as good as it can be I think.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 01:45 AM)Millhouse Wrote: You need to have all the updates installed as one has has the Windows 10 app thingy that will appear in the lower right of the taskbar. Then you will reserve a download spot basically which hopeully will happen soon.

Yeah I have a couple updates that won't take it seems ... =/
Reply/Quote
I'm still waiting on mine to update. I'm one of those weird folks that is a Microsoft loyalist, so I signed up early on. I really can't wait for the phone upgrades int he next couple of months.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 11:27 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I can't figure out how to upgrade.

It will automatically download to your computer when they release it to you.  Sometime within the next few weeks.  Once it is downloaded you then just click install.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
I have a Surface pro three and a laptop.  I will be upgrading the laptop but I will wait for  awhile on the Surface.

Reply/Quote
Updated my surface this week. So far so good. The new browser they came up with is pretty good. Well see if it's good enough to cancel out the stigma on IE
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 10:38 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: Updated my surface this week. So far so good. The new browser they came up with is pretty good. Well see if it's good enough to cancel out the stigma on IE

how is the touch interface?  I have heard not so good reviews of it for the surface

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 10:41 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: how is the touch interface?  I have heard not so good reviews of it for the surface

I've found it to be the same, if not better. Especially writing near the edges. Before it was a little wonky, but I updated, calibrated the pen (I use it a lot) and it has been great. Love the tablet mode (either didn't have that before, or it was just put in a more obvious place now) and overall have very few complaints. 
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 12:00 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I've found it to be the same, if not better. Especially writing near the edges. Before it was a little wonky, but I updated, calibrated the pen (I use it a lot) and it has been great. Love the tablet mode (either didn't have that before, or it was just put in a more obvious place now) and overall have very few complaints. 

Cool...I still think I may wait till SP1 comes out.

Reply/Quote
I'm not a Windows hater but some of the things I'm seeing with 10 are, IMO, disturbing.

Forcing updates - There are ways around this (now) but I prefer the old method of notifying me updates are available and I can install them after reviewing them.  Good example of why it's a bad idea - http://betanews.com/2015/07/26/windows-10s-automatic-updates-for-nvidia-drivers-could-break-your-computer/ .  I used the preview version for about a week and the "Windows Insiders" can't disable this at all (part of being a tester).  So if you have the tester version, you may want to consider moving to the official release.

Your new end user agreement may have things you don't like.  It seems Microsoft is going the way of Google with your personal information.  2 links on that https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/ and https://jonathan.porta.codes/2015/07/30/windows-10-seems-to-have-some-scary-privacy-defaults/ .

Speaking of Google practices, freemium had come to Windows 10.  I hear if you play solitaire on 10 you get ads.  Want to shut the ads off, it will cost you (monthly or yearly subscription).  http://time.com/3977862/windows-10-solitaire/

Ant the final negative that goes straight to business practices - peer to peer file sharing by default.  This link covers some of the same things as the others but also points out, once you download an update you become a host for others to download that update from your PC. http://www.howtogeek.com/223068/what-you-need-to-know-about-windows-update-on-windows-10/

Now, if you made it through all the "hater talk", I will point out that even with all these issues the time I spent with the preview tells me this is a much better OS than 8 and 8.1.  I have yet to decide if it's better than 7 (which at this time is still my favorite Windows version) and to be honest, I doubt I will give 10 enough time to decide which is better.  I'll stick with Linux.  Mint Cinnamon 17.2 works for my needs (except updating my GPS).
Reply/Quote
So check this out...

Clicked on the "get" icon on my desktop first, a few days ago, and later than night i clicked on it for this laptop. This laptop is where i spend most of my time online when i'm home. A short time ago when my son was using this laptop, it went clunk and crashed so i pulled the HDD out of his HP Pavilion since his monitor had stopped working. When i reinstalled Windows, it worked well enough with a few errors in the Device Manager and the resolution wasn't optimal but it was ok.

Anyway, i get the notification last night that my d/l was ready on this laptop. Do the install this morning and come home tonight to check it all out. First of all, all the errors are corrected and everything works perfectly, as well as the native resolution being fixed. I've only been messing around with it for a little less than 2 hrs but i can't find anything i don't like yet and i'm finding plenty of things i really like about it.

Looks and feels pretty solid. It was a really good idea to integrate the home button with the tiles. ThumbsUp

P.S. Is cortana supposed to talk to me? I have my volume up, but so far i've not gotten anything audible out of it.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 09:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So check this out...

Clicked on the "get" icon on my desktop first, a few days ago, and later than night i clicked on it for this laptop. This laptop is where i spend most of my time online when i'm home. A short time ago when my son was using this laptop, it went clunk and crashed so i pulled the HDD out of his HP Pavilion since his monitor had stopped working. When i reinstalled Windows, it worked well enough with a few errors in the Device Manager and the resolution wasn't optimal but it was ok.

Anyway, i get the notification last night that my d/l was ready on this laptop. Do the install this morning and come home tonight to check it all out. First of all, all the errors are corrected and everything works perfectly, as well as the native resolution being fixed. I've only been messing around with it for a little less than 2 hrs but i can't find anything i don't like yet and i'm finding plenty of things i really like about it.

Looks and feels pretty solid. It was a really good idea to integrate the home button with the tiles. ThumbsUp

P.S. Is cortana supposed to talk to me? I have my volume up, but so far i've not gotten anything audible out of it.

Glad to see the home button is back. I know a lot of people lost their shit over that. 

I will probably upgrade sometime in the near future. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 10:07 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Glad to see the home button is back. I know a lot of people lost their shit over that. 

I will probably upgrade sometime in the near future. 

Yup.

For anyone that's been using it for a little while...is Cortana supposed to be audible? I can see the txt at the top but from what i've seen previously, it talks back like Siri (i thought). I haven't really dug deep into it. Just some skimming last night. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote