Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Anyone feel like we won't see another Super bowl anytime soon?
(02-14-2022, 10:32 PM)MTBengalsFan Wrote: I was listening to the Rich Eisen show while driving around today. He had on Trent Dilfer who was completely unimpressed with the Bengals future. He said the DL was going to be badly downgraded with departures of Hill and Ogunjobi, the OL needed more than a year to fix and our defensive backfield needs help. He said Bengals won't repeat as division winners in such a tough division.

It sure is nice to hear the "respect" being showered on the Bengals. Here's to hoping there's more crow served up next year.

Damn, the one and only Trent Dilfer is "unimpressed with the Bengals future"?!?!?!

Well fellas, we're officially doomed.  Not sure if this organization should even bother fielding a team from here on out.....
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 11:37 PM)jj22 Wrote: Every team would have multiple Super Bowls if it was as easy as some make it seem. The great Manning Indy teams could barely make it in a weak division. Many great teams over the years didn't make it at all, and/or don't make it back.

Next year we won't be sneaking up on anyone, and the division will be drafting to stop us. Let alone we need to get over the Cleveland hump as they were very close to taking the division. 

A reasonable viewpoint. I think some of the "of course we'll be back, we'll be better than ever," is a hurt fanbase trying to put on a hopeful view as as salve.  Because so much went right for the Bengals this year and there is no telling if next year we will deal with injuries again like just a year ago. 

After the week 17 win, I thought this was our year. I thought we could beat the Raiders and Titans and rooted for KC to beat Buffalo because I thought we could take KC again. I thought we could beat the NFC champion and it came down to one or two plays.

As I said, I'm guarded about the Bengals outlook. I  watched another 4 win or so Bengals team once before all of a sudden be in the Super Bowl, only to drop off the very next year. A lot has to go right to get back and it starts with whether or not the front office will invest heavily again or go into maintenance mode. These are not tycoons we are talking about.

Edit: Checked on my memory. Yes, only 4 wins in 1987 season, went to Super Bowl in 1988 season, and back to 4th place in Division in 1989 season. In the Super Bowl season I assumed it would be the first of many.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 11:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: The OL is not a multi-year fix project it is doable in Free Agency by retooling the right side completely.

You'd think, but the front office hasnt been able to pull it off in 5 years
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 12:31 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: You'd think, but the front office hasnt been able to pull it off in 5 years

Yep. It's not like we're the only team signing free agent lineman. Many teams need them.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:27 PM)Trademark Wrote: You need a lot of things to go your way to even make a SB, last night was honestly this teams only chance to win it all Sad

Stop with the negativity over this loss.
Be happy we made it this far ahead of schedule.
I am confident we will be back soon.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 12:37 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. It's not like we're the only team signing free agent lineman. Many teams need them.

We’re a contender now though. That will help. You’re already seeing it with HoF players like Gronk coming right and saying they want to play with Burrow. If I’m a FA lineman I want to be one of the guy’s that finally helps keep Burrow clean. Playing on an offense with Burrow/Chase/Tee/Mixon should certainly be enticing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
It's definitely understandable to feel as though this team will not make it back to the Super Bowl for a long time based on its history, especially for those who are old enough to remember the two previous trips, so I do not fault anyone for thinking this team will not make it back anytime soon. If SB history is any guide, the Bengals have addressed the most difficult part which is having a quarterback that's talented enough to put the team in a position to make a SB run. Sure you'll have a Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco win a Superbowl every so often but the majority of the SB winners had a great QB(Brady, Montana, Elway, Rodgers, etc). So many teams are searching for what this team already has and that is a stud QB. I believe Joe is that guy but ownership/mgmt must address the offensive line or they can forget about making another run during his tenure. If this ownership group decides to go dumpster diving for OL help after the season this team had then they should be tarred and feathered. Maybe I am just a prisoner of the moment but I truly feel like this will be the most important off-season in the history of the franchise.

Now with that said, it will not be easy to make it back. This team will not be sneaking up on anyone. They're going to be the hunted rather than the hunter, so how they respond to that will speak volumes. Due to who they have at QB: Kansas City is not going anywhere, Buffalo is not going anywhere and I think the Chargers will be in mix with a chance to be the 2022-23 Bengals. I expect Baltimore to bounce back also after having 6/9 losses decided by 6 or fewer points and there is usually a team no one is talking about that surprises everyone. This year it was this team, next year...
Reply/Quote
I feel like we can definitely make it back to the Super Bowl sooner than later because we have a bunch of the ingredients to be successful. Our weaknesses are so clearly defined that if the front office goes all in they can be expressed in the draft and free agency. FA's knowing we will pay top $$  for their services and the prospect of playing with JB and the culture that had been created should bode well for us. We can go the Kansas city route they did last off-season but we have a much better defense.  This team has already proven it can play with anyone in playoff time including  teams that are "much better" than they are. Greatly improve the line, Add a depth to the defense and slightly change the Offensive philosophy and we will be a team to be reckoned with for sure.
Reply/Quote
Yes the Bengals will be back. The rams just did it and so will the Bengals. This team is going to be sick for years to come. Doesn't mean a superbowl will happen but odds are we will win one in the next 5 years. Honestly, I think they do it next year. If this team can make the SB with this oline, it's possible this team wins all their games next year. 1% chance I know if that but that's how freaking good the Bengals are going to be. You know who isnt going to be good? Clowns, Stoolers and Purple *******. Next two years are our window. Can't wait till football starts again.
Reply/Quote
this thread is funny because most of the optimism is coming from mainly new members joined as far back as this season. let's see if they stick around.
Reply/Quote
When your offensive line plays as bad as the Bengals did it defies logic that they made it to the Super Bowl. Just imagine if they were at least just a average OL. If it doesn’t work out cap wise to sign big names for the OL then hopefully they can catch a few players for the OL like they did on defense last season. Not huge household name but just solid football players that play well together.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 04:06 AM)WildCat Wrote: this thread is funny because most of the optimism is coming from mainly new members joined as far back as this season. let's see if they stick around.

This thread seems very Pollyannish. And I can use the term because I actually saw the movie in 1960 in a theatre when it came out.
Reply/Quote
Nope, fully expect to be there next year.
Reply/Quote
Making the Super Bowl is very difficult. It takes talent, but it takes even more luck. Luck to avoid key injuries and luck for big plays to go your way in 2 to 3 straight playoff games.

The only people foolish enough to expect to ever go to the Super Bowl are Chiefs fans.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 09:40 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Making the Super Bowl is very difficult. It takes talent, but it takes even more luck. Luck to avoid key injuries and luck for big plays to go your way in 2 to 3 straight playoff games.

The only people foolish enough to expect to ever go to the Super Bowl are Chiefs fans.

You don't think the Brady Patriots fans expected to go every year? Of course injuries can derail a year, look at last year. But if Burrow and the other main weapons stay healthy, I see no reason why they won't be right back there again. They've already shown they can beat the best teams in the league with a sub par o-line. With some upgrades, they should only be better.
Reply/Quote
If they fix the OL and add another piece or two on defense I think they'll win it all next year.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Remember when some of us said there would be those in this forum that would bytch if we made it to the Super Bowl and others said no way in hell that would happen?

Have these last 24 hours changed anyone's mind?

Spoiler alert: people are going to ***** after we win the SB. 
Reply/Quote
How many people on here believed going into this year that this was the Bengals only year to win the Super Bowl?

I don't understand how things changed just because we had a great year and lossed in the SUPER BOWL.
Had we lossed in he second round of the playoffs would people be thinking we are on our way?

Fellas it reminds me of that part in Animal House when they think all is lost because the Fraternity is shutting down.

John "Bluto" Blutarsky: Over? Did you say ?over?? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no!

"My advice to all of you is to start drinking heavily,”

We will be very relevant every year during the Burrow years!
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 09:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You don't think the Brady Patriots fans expected to go every year? Of course injuries can derail a year, look at last year. But if Burrow and the other main weapons stay healthy, I see no reason why they won't be right back there again. They've already shown they can beat the best teams in the league with a sub par o-line. With some upgrades, they should only be better.

Brady is the exception, not the rule.

How many would have predicted that Aaron Rodgers would never make it back to the Superbowl? What about Dan Marino? Or Russell Wilson? 

I'm not saying we aren't capable of making it back to the Super Bowl, but I do not want to expect it to happen, because the NFL is a very volatile league with teams coming up and falling down each year. We gutted out some incredible wins against the Chiefs twice, the Titans and we almost pulled it off against the Rams. That took a lot of skill, but it also took a lot of luck. A lot of things fell our way this season and we deserved to be where we were. If we make it to the Super Bowl again, that would be fantastic and I hope we do, but we shouldn't expect those same things to occur again.
Reply/Quote
It really does all boil down to if the FO has actually changed their stripes. I'm not sure they can do it again next year, but I do believe they can get back within the next few seasons if the FO remains aggressive. Our skill position players are very young, and cheap. They're less likely to miss a lot of time to injury due to being young and healing quicker when they do get dinged up. We're pretty young on defense as well. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote